Wii U Virtual Console Forum

Topic: Wii VC on a Wii U screen ratio. Is there a way to go back to Wii ?

Showing 1 to 20 of 26

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chomposaur

1. Posted:

hey just a quick post i was wondering the other day i wanted to play FF3 (6) on the Wii U in Wii VC mode .. and i was treated to a butchered display of all games being displayed in 4:3 fixed i could not change the ratio even going on my TV settings ... before i could almost play it full screen, the same with chrono trigger and FF 1. N64 games in full screen too.

And PLEASE dont give me that same old excuse "thats how games was played in the 1980s" i want to play majoras mask, Ocarina of time, Mario Kart 64,Ogre battle 64 in full screen

the question i am asking is once i have transferred my data over to the Wii U can i still play my Wii VC games on my original Wii providing i still have the original SD card i used ? Or does the update completely wipe the Wii clean so i cant do this ? .. Thanks ..

Edited on by Chomposaur

Disclaimer: "All opinions are my own, please do not get offended by what i have to say"

Nintendo ID :JogurtTheYogurt FC :2294-4103-5306

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

2. Posted:

I know you said not to but seriously, you're wrong. They fixed the screen stretching and VC titles look much better now.
:D

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chomposaur

3. Posted:

skywake wrote:

I know you said not to but seriously, you're wrong. They fixed the screen stretching and VC titles look much better now.
:D

I respect your opinion. But each to there own. I thought there was nothing wrong with he stretching. The HUGE black borders really bug me on my 46inch TV.

Still looking for an answer :-(

Disclaimer: "All opinions are my own, please do not get offended by what i have to say"

Nintendo ID :JogurtTheYogurt FC :2294-4103-5306

AuthorMessage
Avatar

hammish0531

4. Posted:

it erases the wii memory i think you will have to download again

29 yrs gaming and counting

Nintendo Network ID: hammish0531

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BenAV

5. Posted:

Once moved to the Wii U, there's no going back, unless you want to purchase the titles all over again.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club - Club Name: True Teikoku | Club ID: 9697C6E03

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

6. Posted:

JogurtTheYogurt wrote:

I respect your opinion. But each to there own. I thought there was nothing wrong with he stretching. The HUGE black borders really bug me on my 46inch TV.

Well good because now you're enjoying the game as it should be enjoyed.

Frankly I was really annoyed with how the Wii handled this, I was forever having to go into my TVs settings to get the right aspect ratio. I ended up having to play it in that horrible stretched aspect because I couldn't be bothered changing the settings every time I wanted to load a VC title. Better than what my SNES looks like hooked upto the TV but hardly ideal. Now it just works as it should have always worked. Thank you Nintendo for annoying people who wanted it to display incorrectly.
:D

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chomposaur

7. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Thank you Nintendo for annoying people who wanted it to display incorrectly.
:D

Thank you for that response ... I knew i would get a fanboy answer of somebody

Disclaimer: "All opinions are my own, please do not get offended by what i have to say"

Nintendo ID :JogurtTheYogurt FC :2294-4103-5306

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

8. Posted:

Ah, calling someone a fanboy. You know that someone is on the losing end of an argument when they resort to name calling.

Anyway, perhaps there is an option on your tv to stretch the image? My old tv had a lot of options for stretching the image. I could make 16:9 into 4:3 or 4:3 into 16:9. If not, maybe you need to get an older tv.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chomposaur

9. Posted:

ah forget it i guess ill have to bite the bullet ..

Edited on by theblackdragon

Disclaimer: "All opinions are my own, please do not get offended by what i have to say"

Nintendo ID :JogurtTheYogurt FC :2294-4103-5306

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link-Hero

10. Posted:

So you like to make everything on screen look misshapen/wider/bulgier and mess up your visual perspective (makes left/right movements appear to move faster then up/down movements), just because you don't like seeing black bars on the sides?

Ok.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mr_Nose

11. Posted:

I too wish resolutions were scaleable on the consoles, as they are on the PC. I don't think people who primarily game on consoles understand the situation. Try to play an older PC title that plays in 480X620 on a monitor set to ANY resolution higher than that.

EDIT: Sorry, make that 640X480. Anyhoo, you see what I mean. The resolution of your monitor is like a picture frame, the resolution of your game is like a painting. You can't stick a tiny painting in a giant picture frame, without a bunch of empty space around the painting. Likewise, you can't view an entire giant painting through a tiny picture frame.

It usually works out best if you lower your monitor resolution to match the game ( yeah, you can streatch the image too ), or at least get close to it, and TVs won't let you do that. ( Lower the resolution, that is..)

Edited on by Mr_Nose

3DS:
5413 - 1299 - 6184
Wii U:
Mr.Nose
Bink

3DS Friend Code: 5413-1299-6184 | Nintendo Network ID: MrNose

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chomposaur

12. Posted:

Link-Hero wrote:

So you like to make everything on screen look misshapen/wider/bulgier and mess up your visual perspective (makes left/right movements appear to move faster then up/down movements), just because you don't like seeing black bars on the sides?

Ok.

simple question. Why cant i have the option to choose what screen resolution i have ?

Disclaimer: "All opinions are my own, please do not get offended by what i have to say"

Nintendo ID :JogurtTheYogurt FC :2294-4103-5306

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

13. Posted:

Hello? Do you not have the option on your tv? There are tvs out there that DO have the option. If you care so deeply about it, then perhaps you should invest in a tv with those capabilities.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

14. Posted:

Well you could always get a smaller TV. Honestly though it does look better with the black bars on the side over being stretched. Thing is though once you start playing the game you wont even notice them.

Edited on by Tasuki

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chomposaur

15. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

Hello? Do you not have the option on your tv? There are tvs out there that DO have the option. If you care so deeply about it, then perhaps you should invest in a tv with those capabilities.

i do have options but its not very good i only get wide zoom and some other stuff .. im going to have another go to see if i can fix it

  • its a 46 inch screen, HD games and TV look amazing on it. and my room is not really big enough to have a second TV in here so .. i guess im out of luck

Disclaimer: "All opinions are my own, please do not get offended by what i have to say"

Nintendo ID :JogurtTheYogurt FC :2294-4103-5306

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mr_Nose

16. Posted:

simple question. Why cant i have the option to choose what screen resolution i have ?

I agree completely. The Wii is mostly standard def, so the standard def games look better on it to me, too. That's why I still use mine. What irks me, is all these goombas running around preaching High Def, because they have the latest TVs, while retro gaming on them suffers because of it.

PC is the best choice for retro gaming. The sad thing is, most old stuff, like Atari 2600 games, are best enjoyed on a standard def TV. The monitor makes them way too sharp and clean, lol.

Edited on by Mr_Nose

3DS:
5413 - 1299 - 6184
Wii U:
Mr.Nose
Bink

3DS Friend Code: 5413-1299-6184 | Nintendo Network ID: MrNose

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

17. Posted:

SirGreatNose wrote:

simple question. Why cant i have the option to choose what screen resolution i have ?

I agree completely. The Wii is mostly standard def, so the standard def games look better on it to me, too. That's why I still use mine. What irks me, is all these goombas running around preaching High Def, because they have the latest TVs, while retro gaming on them suffers because of it.

Honestly thats why I have all my old systems and a CRT TV in my man cave. lol

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mr_Nose

18. Posted:

Amen!

3DS:
5413 - 1299 - 6184
Wii U:
Mr.Nose
Bink

3DS Friend Code: 5413-1299-6184 | Nintendo Network ID: MrNose

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

19. Posted:

Regardless of the legality of said methods, our rules still forbid discussing it here. Also, that particular topic is not related to the main topic at hand.

http://www.nintendolife.com/rules

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

20. Posted:

JogurtTheYogurt wrote:

skywake wrote:

Thank you Nintendo for annoying people who wanted it to display incorrectly.
:D

Thank you for that response ... I knew i would get a fanboy answer of somebody

Yeah, I'm a "correct aspect ratio" fanboy. Makes perfect sense. If that's a thing then I'm also a lower MP cameras that have better lenses "fanboy" and a 320kbps MP3 "fanboy". I'm also a low jpg compression "fanboy" and a using png for screenshots "fanboy". A HDMI over Composite connector "fanboy" and a Gigabit over WiFi where possible "fanboy". Alternatively I could just be someone who cares about doing things properly and having content appear correctly and in the best possible light.

So yes, I'll happily react like this in these sorts of threads just as I would if you asked about Composite input on a HDTV or Digital Zoom on a HD video camera. If you have the ability to do something the right way and actively try to muck it up then you deserve to be mocked especially when the right way wasn't an option previously. If you can't work out how to do it wrong then that's a good thing.
;)

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake