Wii U Virtual Console Forum

Topic: Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream

Showing 41 to 60 of 64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

41. Posted:

DaveGX wrote:

Well, while the game seems to run fine as I should, have tos ay i'ma little disappointed. No idea what's up, i played up til 1st fight vs Piston Honda, I go for the * uppercut punches as I normally do, and i find myself missing shots already, I (never miss those shots!), this being done with the pro controller mind you. I'd heard afewpeople too say they have lag using the GamePad, which I didn't but used the screen only for a short moment and yeah, I feel like something's off here. Both controllers werefully charged no problem, and i didn't seem to have a problem with Balloon Fight or F-Zero, so unless it's just me, I don't get it.

I don't recall having any problems with the controls. Perhaps some sort of tv lag?

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

42. Posted:

I think this is the best version of the game ever. You can tell how fast and smooth it runs on Wii U being full HD and all... I don't get why anyone would ever turn down a 30¢ game.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DaveGX

43. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

DaveGX wrote:

Well, while the game seems to run fine as I should, have tos ay i'ma little disappointed. No idea what's up, i played up til 1st fight vs Piston Honda, I go for the * uppercut punches as I normally do, and i find myself missing shots already, I (never miss those shots!), this being done with the pro controller mind you. I'd heard afewpeople too say they have lag using the GamePad, which I didn't but used the screen only for a short moment and yeah, I feel like something's off here. Both controllers werefully charged no problem, and i didn't seem to have a problem with Balloon Fight or F-Zero, so unless it's just me, I don't get it.

I don't recall having any problems with the controls. Perhaps some sort of tv lag?

Yeah I'm honestly not sure, maybe it's with the Pro controller? just now I'm trying all this again in my room, no TV just the GamePad and the Pro controller. this time I got up to Bald Bull, 1st fight, hit him once at his bull charge, but the rest wereall misses, so I changed over to the normal controls using the GamePad, awkward as that is kinda, beat him easily as I normally do. I still think there's some kinda lag going on somehow, it might not be just my TV because again, this was testing only with my pro controller this time around watching only the gamePad. (TV's in the other room)

Edited on by DaveGX

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DaveGX

44. Posted:

Well, I have to conclude this test finishing up my game,my furthest his time was asfaras Piston Honda 2nd fight,then Soda Popinski, only on the GamePad fora while, and found myself again messing up points I never do, which I can even confirm on Wii itself because I've always been able to play that version and enver miss my hits or mess up any of the patterns. I'm still calling slight lag on this 1 and hnceforth let down by this.

Edited on by DaveGX

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

45. Posted:

Hmmm... I just thought the Wii U was running it faster, because I can still react fast enough to win. Maybe they aren't using an emulator to run the game. This game is optimized to run in HD, so there's no lag whatsoever.
I've seen lag, and this definitely doesn't have any.
Seriously, does any one remember when they ran Starfox 64 strictly off the Wii's power without emulation when they first released it on VC? Then they updated it to have framerate cuts because everyone was used to playing it on N64.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

46. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Hmmm... I just thought the Wii U was running it faster, because I can still react fast enough to win. Maybe they aren't using an emulator to run the game. This game is optimized to run in HD, so there's no lag whatsoever.
I've seen lag, and this definitely doesn't have any.
Seriously, does any one remember when they ran Starfox 64 strictly off the Wii's power without emulation when they first released it on VC? Then they updated it to have framerate cuts because everyone was used to playing it on N64.

You keep saying this about Star Fox 64 running without emulation but I could find absolutely nothing to back up what you say. Every game on the VC is running through an emulator. The other N64 games on the VC before Star Fox 64 ran on an N64 emulator, why would they not use an emulator for Star Fox? From what I can find online, Star Fox ran better on the emulator than it did on the N64, and some people found the game too hard when it ran without slowdown in certain places, so they went back and manually added slowdown.

Edited on by brooks83

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

47. Posted:

Well technically, emulators aren't really needed to run games as long as it's on similar hardware(in this case, the same company), especially when the said hardware is enhanced.
i.e. The Wii Menu is the only thing being emulated, but actually running the Wii games is using the Wii U components.
Same thing with Xbox 360, they added software to run Xbox games.
It probably just uses a fraction of the actual hardware, but there needs to be a program to tell it to do that.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DaveGX

48. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Hmmm... I just thought the Wii U was running it faster, because I can still react fast enough to win. Maybe they aren't using an emulator to run the game. This game is optimized to run in HD, so there's no lag whatsoever.
I've seen lag, and this definitely doesn't have any.
Seriously, does any one remember when they ran Starfox 64 strictly off the Wii's power without emulation when they first released it on VC? Then they updated it to have framerate cuts because everyone was used to playing it on N64.

I dunno, it just doesn't make much sense to me that Im missing/late throwing a bunch of punches I normally don't, so it still implies lag orf some sort. And it's not like I haven't recently played the game, either; I've played on Wii without this problem, 3DS even. So while it may not be visual/onscreen lag, I'm still thinking possible control-wise or something to that extent. Mind you, this being the Wii U Virtual Console DL, not the Wii 1 which is still on my Wii.

Edited on by DaveGX

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

49. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Well technically, emulators aren't really needed to run games as long as it's on similar hardware(in this case, the same company), especially when the said hardware is enhanced.
i.e. The Wii Menu is the only thing being emulated, but actually running the Wii games is using the Wii U components.
Same thing with Xbox 360, they added software to run Xbox games.
It probably just uses a fraction of the actual hardware, but there needs to be a program to tell it to do that.

Dude, not trying to argue, but Star Fox 64 runs on the Wii through an N64 emulator and always has. Unless of course you have a link proving me wrong.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

50. Posted:

I don't have a link. Sooo... Are you telling me that Windows 8 emulates Windows 7 software? How does backwards compatibility work in that case?

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

51. Posted:

We're not talking about PC, we're talking about N64 games running on the Wii's hardware. Why would they have an N64 emulator for every game but Star Fox 64? And if getting N64 games we're so easy to run straight off the Wii without emulation, don't you think we would see more N64 games on the service?

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

52. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

We're not talking about PC, we're talking about N64 games running on the Wii's hardware. Why would they have an N64 emulator for every game but Star Fox 64? And if getting N64 games we're so easy to run straight off the Wii without emulation, don't you think we would see more N64 games on the service?

There's not as much demand for those other N64 games as far as Nintendo games go. The 3rd party companies can put whatever on the VC as long as they have money, but Nintendo just has to go to their file cabinet and load it on there, which is as easy as walking to the west wing(or whatever) of Nintendo HQ. Like games at retail, there is a demand for those games. Are there any other games with noticable frame rate issues for N64 on the VC?

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

53. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

We're not talking about PC, we're talking about N64 games running on the Wii's hardware. Why would they have an N64 emulator for every game but Star Fox 64? And if getting N64 games we're so easy to run straight off the Wii without emulation, don't you think we would see more N64 games on the service?

There's not as much demand for those other N64 games as far as Nintendo games go. The 3rd party companies can put whatever on the VC as long as they have money, but Nintendo just has to go to their file cabinet and load it on there, which is as easy as walking to the west wing(or whatever) of Nintendo HQ. Like games at retail, there is a demand for those games. Are there any other games with noticable frame rate issues for N64 on the VC?

I seem to remember Natsume saying they were having trouble emulating Harvest Moon 64. As for games with frame rate issues, Star Fox 64 is the only game that I know of that they updated. I guess you could also say lack of controller pak support is what kept some games off the VC, so I hope they correct this problem on the Wii U's VC. There's really no excuse not to.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

54. Posted:

@SCAR392 Are you theory crafting again?

I learn from the conversations your misconceptions fuel, lol, but it's painful... can't you Google this stuff? :/

Contribution: the onboard software that accompanies a new console is going to be designed almost completely different. With technology and software design practices advancing, and the benefit of lessons learned, it would be foolish to cling to archaic infrastructure. I'm going to throw in my lot with @brooks83 and say that emulation is key to running these old games on the new hardware.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

55. Posted:

Yes. The only reason why games are absent from the VC, is because Nintendo no longer owns them like they once did, the companies with wanted N64 games are no longer affiliated(i.e. Rare), or lack of funds from 3rd parties. In Natsume's case, it was probably the specific time tracking that had story involved. There are other games with some time elements such as Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time, but Nintendo made those knowing how to use the hardware to do so. If Natsume would have used the hardware properly in the first place, we would probably see it. There's really no way they could have known though, because Nintendo is the only one with true insider info on specificly how their system works most of the time.
Natsume probably used a specific program or compression to do the same that was abandoned by Nintendo in later iterations of their consoles, and replaced by hardware like the N64 RAM pak.
These are just my speculations.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

56. Posted:

I, too, would be curious to understand the constraints involved in emulating Harvest Moon 64 for the Virtual Console.

Heck it's such a great game; and I can't imagine it would take some skilled programmers more than X units of time to get it running. At the least it seems more cost-effective than creating a whole new game from scratch!

Of course I'm speculating now too. ;)

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ShadJV

57. Posted:

So this was my first real foray into Punch-Out, my friend was pushing me to give it more than a few minutes and now... Well, it's really better than I thought. Man it's challenging but it feels so good when I take down a tough opponent!

Feel free to add me on the Nintendo Network: ShadJV
Here's my 3DS FC, always looking for Pokemon X Friend Safaris: 2191-7643-5167
Peace!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kaeobais

58. Posted:

ShadJV wrote:

So this was my first real foray into Punch-Out, my friend was pushing me to give it more than a few minutes and now... Well, it's really better than I thought. Man it's challenging but it feels so good when I take down a tough opponent!

You need to play the Wii one. It's easily the best Punch Out!! I'd say. So much to do, so many opponents to take down, so much freaking fun.

The best strategy in the game: go up stairs and pause balls.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PinkSpider

59. Posted:

One hing I will say about the virtual console games on Wii U is they look amazing on HDTV'S im playing punch out on a 37'' TV and it looks awesome.

3DS Friend code : 2878 9572 9160 PinkSpider
Mario Kart 7 Community code : 54 7436 5412 6010
Wii U I.D : PinkSpider

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

60. Posted:

Pretty cool game. Sad how I somehow missed out on this series until...a couple of days ago.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos