Wii U Virtual Console Forum

Topic: People complaining about VC prices

Showing 41 to 60 of 69

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zombie_Barioth

41. Posted:

skywake wrote:

because attacking your game with a screwdriver is a much better option than simply getting a VC version.....

Its really not all that hard, unless you don't have the right security bit of course. Besides, what if your game isn't on the virtual console to begin with?

@SCAR392
Like I said before, the prices for the cartriges are hit or miss. Sometimes they're cheaper or around the same price, and other times they're a little but more (except for rare games of course). Still not too bad considering a lot of people will buy the remakes.

Edited on by Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

42. Posted:

Zombie_Barioth wrote:

skywake wrote:

because attacking your game with a screwdriver is a much better option than simply getting a VC version.....

Its really not all that hard, unless you don't have the right security bit of course. Besides, what if your game isn't on the virtual console to begin with?

@SCAR392
Like I said before, the prices for the cartriges are hit or miss. Sometimes they're cheaper or around the same price, and other times they're a little but more (except for rare games of course). Still not too bad considering a lot of people will buy the remakes.

Replacing the battery doesn't allow you to keep the save files. The VC games aren't remakes. They are the same file they put on the cartridge when they were originally released, just in eShop format, which includes the new features.
VC is better than cartridges in all cases, except if the game isn't on the VC, like you said, but most aren't gonna pay more than $10, regardless.
I just hope Sega CD, Dreamcast, Saturn, Turbo Graphx-16, etc. show up on the VC. GCN is basically inevitable, but that will a long time... There's always the Wii Shop there, too.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

43. Posted:

Zombie_Barioth wrote:

Its really not all that hard, unless you don't have the right security bit of course. Besides, what if your game isn't on the virtual console to begin with?

Yeah easy, just go to the hardware store and spend maybe $5AU buy the right security bit and then find the right battery and maybe spend another $3AU. Then take it apart and tape the battery into place and hope you haven't buggered something up. This is of course assuming you already have the cartridge and the original system. Or you could get it on the VC for $5-10AU and play it on a system with a better screen, with save states, no risk of your battery job getting loose etc, etc.

That said you are right in your last point. The one game I have that I am annoyed that the battery is dead is Donkey Kong Land. So much nostalgia for me surrounding that game, was really annoyed when I found out its battery was dead. It's not on the 3DS VC. That said I don't think I could bring myself to opening it up either.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

44. Posted:

@skywake
You might as well try to fix it, but only if you already have the supplies ready. I wouldn't go out of my way to fix it, though. It's already broke, and it isn't gonna fix itself. Or you could just leave the Game Boy on, and finish it in a day in intervals, or just beat it in one sitting.
Really though, that's exactly why I don't like carts anymore. Even DS and 3DS carts can survive a wash cycle, and same with SD cards.
I'm never put into a worse situation than that when it comes to these things, and it still doesn't break anything.

EDIT: A side note, is that there is still a battery in the Wii U and Wii, but it only runs the clock. I don't think they rely on separate batteries to keep the any other data continuously running anymore. Just think of every cartridge as a Game & Watch device hadheld, but then then the GameBoy still runs the game on top of that.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zombie_Barioth

45. Posted:

@SCAR392
Neither does replacing the cart with the virtual console version. When i said remakes I meant remakes of old games, like Ocarina of Time 3D. Cartridges and digital copies both have ups and downs its all a matter of preferece, so theres o point in trying to argue one way or the other. Your right that most people who simply want to play the game won't care either way, its the retro enthusiasts who will want the actual cartridge when possible.

@skywake
I just said it wasn't that hard, whether or not its worth it is up to the individual. Just because I've done it a couple times doesn't mean I expect everyone to. Obviously, not everyone is handy when it comes to this sort of thing and its not always worth it to replace the battery either.

Edited on by Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

46. Posted:

I didn't say it was hard I just said I don't think it's worth it. It's not much cheaper and you're literally tampering with the original cartridge. Frankly for games I own that I'd like to revisit I'd rather wait for the VC version for the extra convenience and in the case of the Wii U the better picture over HDMI. For games I don't own it simply doesn't make any sense at all, especially for the games I'm most interested in i.e. the ones never released in the EU.

Even moreso when you consider the fact that PAL games were all originally in 50Hz, some of them unoptimised. The majority of the VC content thus far has been in 60Hz. So it's then a question of whether the 50Hz original SNES version is "more authentic" than the 60Hz VC version. All sorts of reasons to go with the VC.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zombie_Barioth

47. Posted:

Like I said not everyone will find it worth while, just as some people would prefer to change the battery and play the cart on the original hardware. Its all a matter of opinions and preferences after all, thats all I was trying to point out.

Also, obviously it wouldn't make sense to change the battery in a game you don't even have.:P

Zombie_Barioth

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bassoongoon

48. Posted:

I have a bunch of Wii VC on an SD card that is plugged into my Wii U. So far I can still play everything through the Wii menu, however I need to get a Wii Classic Pro controller so that I can play 64 games (lack of GCN controller ports). Last I checked (probably a month or so ago I can still play Wii VC games, so I don't see the need to repurchase previously bought titles.

Another note: I would LOVE to see more N64 and GCN titles on Wii U's VC

You can pry my bassoon from my cold dead fingers!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DarkEdi

49. Posted:

I have a lot of VC games, and almost all are games i never had because i don´t have the console. I was always with Nintendo consoles so i have all Marios and Zeldas but i hadn´t a Turbografx of a Genesis or a NeoGeo or a Commodore64 or a Master System so i download a lot of games of that consoles. Even i don´t have a lot of games that are very difficult to find like R-Type of Ogre Battle and others even if i have a NES, SNES or N64. So the VC is a great choice for me even if i already have many games in retail but a 90% i don´t have them so i buy it in digital. And many times a buy a "repeated" game because they are free with the Club Nintendo coins.

Wii U: edi_tena (please tell me you are from NintendoLife)
Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

Nintendo Network ID: edi_tena

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

50. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

VC is better than cartridges in all cases

Untitled

No way can you you convince me or the thousands of other retro collectors out there that a game is better on the VC when it's emulated to run on non-native hardware anduses a modern day play-everything controller vs. the original thing.

To blessed to be stressed.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

51. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

VC is better than cartridges in all cases

Untitled

No way can you you convince me or the thousands of other retro collectors out there that a game is better on the VC when it's emulated to run on non-native hardware anduses a modern day play-everything controller vs. the original thing.

Agreed (although your point might have come across better if your image didn't have a watermark). Virtual Console is nice for lots of games, but that feeling of holding a cartridge in your hands, blowing on it, and placing it into the machine is almost magical. I would much rather play N64 games on my N64 because I'm used to the controller, it's hooked up to a good old fashioned tube TV (better retro display, I find), and at the end of the day, carts are tangible, unlike digital purchases.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

52. Posted:

Digital versions ARE technically better in every way. It's fact. It's an opinion that video games have more value in physical form. Those cartridge are playing the sound in a compressed format, as well as SD.
The quality is overall better on the digital versions, by having HD, clearer sound, and playable using modern controllers(which includes the GamePad with off-TV, obviously). There's restore points and controller options. I can hold cartridge data on a modern day HDD or memory device.
I'm sorry, but it's fact that the digital copies are better. I understand that without the cartridge versions, we wouldn't have the digital versions, but I'd gladly trade a cartridge version of a game for the digital version anyday.
If you still like cartridges, that's fine, but they are literally worse, besides the game enhancer components they were able to place in them during the time they were the best format. That's no longer necessary to run the game, though.

EDIT: Every cartridge is a memory card. The console runs the data off of a memory card, regardless. My ext. HDD is just as tangible as a cartridge.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

53. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Digital versions ARE technically better in every way. It's fact.

No. It's not.
It's your opinion.
But you frequently seem to be unable to distinguish the difference between these two concepts.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 25 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 13 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

54. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Digital versions ARE technically better in every way. It's fact.

No, they aren't.(Fixed)
That is your opinion.
But you frequently seem to be unable to distinguish the difference between these two concepts.

How are cartridges better, in any way? Please explain, nostalgia aside.

EDIT: Keep in mind, that I wouldn't think digital versions are better if they didn't in fact, have better resolutions, better audio, and more options in the VC menu. Oh ya, they cost less, too, and count as a legitimate form of backwards compatibility.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

55. Posted:

@SCAR
My comment needed no fixing. My "No. It's Not." referred to your claim of "It's fact."
Because your statement was not a fact.
Which, incidentally, is why I long ago decided not to engage you in debate. You have an uncanny ability to state that things are facts when they are not.
You are more than welcome to feel that digital versions of games are better than physical versions of games.
But that does not, and will not, make it fact.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 25 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 13 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

56. Posted:

Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bezerker99

57. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

@SCAR
My comment needed no fixing. My "No. It's Not." referred to your claim of "It's fact."
Because your statement was not a fact.
Which, incidentally, is why I long ago decided not to engage you in debate. You have an uncanny ability to state that things are facts when they are not.
You are more than welcome to feel that digital versions of games are better than physical versions of games.
But that does not, and will not, make it fact.

Phoenix Wright would stand no chance against u in court, good sir.

"And [Sting!!!], I'm not coming to show YOU or anyone else who the better wrestler is. I'm coming...to hurt you...for real...for a long, looong time. WOOOOO!!!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
AC:NL Dream Address: 4400-2611-9546
My name in a game!!!
My Bird Mania Christmas 3D review

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

58. Posted:

@the_shpydar
Alright, whatever. It's all good. I just see the benefits of using the VC over the original hardware and such.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

59. Posted:

this is how i see it, all bs aside...
long time ago i told myself, "wouldnt it be cool if someone made a system that played all the old games i want on one system?" i soon made a list of every game i could think of. over 10 years later virtual console came out. i was excited. virtual console is a fantastic way to play old games, but what about the games that probably will never see the light on the service? youve got to have the carts to play those. if it doesnt bother you then you are comfortable with limiting yourself to whats available on vc. the benefits of playing on vc is convenience. i see no other reason. for me price is not a major factor, its the reality that not all the games i wanted made it to the vc. ill get the cart if it doesnt come out on vc, always have, always will. the ratio of complaints about games not available on virtual console vs complaints on how much people like myself have spent on carts is ridiculous. you dont hear people crying about how much they spent on a rare game that set them back 2000$ all over the internet. however, crying about games not arriving on virtual console is much more common. anyone here spend 4 grand on vc games? you wouldnt, its not something you can hold in your hands.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

60. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

this is how i see it, all bs aside...
<snip>
you dont hear people crying about how much they spent on a rare game that set them back 2000$ all over the internet. however, crying about games not arriving on virtual console is much more common. anyone here spend 4 grand on vc games? you wouldnt, its not something you can hold in your hands.

While I agree in general, the availability of these goods and rabid consumerism have caused slippage in the mentality of clinging to material goods. I think low prices make virtual purchases more appealing even than their boxed counterparts, and with cheap goods there is always the tendency towards a large collection. Speaking for myself, Steam's service has caused me to spend far more money than I would have ever imagined, all towards intangible digital games.

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.