Wii U Virtual Console Forum

Topic: nintendo should charge more for vc games that are rare ("rare downloads")

Showing 261 to 280 of 312

AuthorMessage

justlink

261. Posted:

if nintendo did 'rare download' i'd go to emulators.

Hi
I'm Justlink1 on Miiverse, look me up.
Favorite Game: Spirit Tracks
Favorite Series: Zelda, SSB, Earthbound
Favorite childhood game: Sitting Ducks

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

262. Posted:

Who was the genius at HQ that leaked this?
Untitled

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

ogo79

263. Posted:

Jim_Purcell wrote:

I tried reading this thread and my brain melted out of my ears.

To those of you who paid a high price for a game cart. Congrats, you bought a rare collectors item. The game on that cart isn't actually what you paid for. You paid for the cart.

It would be pure MADNESS to rerelease those games at a higher price point just to preserve the value of your collectors items. Mostly because Nintendo doesn't make any money from secondary market transactions. They have no stake it preserving the value of your trinkets. Their job is to get games in front of eyeballs and make money doing it.

And frankly if this kind of thing brings down the prices for collectible uncommon and rare carts. All the better. Most of those prices are highly inflated. Earthbound isn't even rare. Its just being horded by speculators, so the supply is artificially low right now.

Jim_Purcell wrote:

To those of you who paid a high price for a game cart. Congrats, you bought a rare collectors item. The game on that cart isn't actually what you paid for. You paid for the cart.

fixed dat fer ya son:

Jim_Purcell wrote:

To those of you who paid a high price for game carts . Congrats, you bought a butt load of rare collectors items. The games on that cart isn't actually what you paid for. You paid for the carts .

Jim_Purcell wrote:

They have no stake it preserving the value of your trinkets.

trinkets? sheesh, that doesnt make my hobby sound important or manly at all. i prefer to call them trophies, lets do that. it makes me feel like ive accomplished something.

Jim_Purcell wrote:

And frankly if this kind of thing brings down the prices for collectible uncommon and rare carts. All the better. Most of those prices are highly inflated. Earthbound isn't even rare. Its just being horded by speculators, so the supply is artificially low right now.

actually it doesnt bring down the price in any of my games. i guess i need to go on the show "hoarders" because ive got cib's of earthbound out the ying yang. id sell you one for 500$ if you werent such a cry baby.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

Jim_Purcell

264. Posted:

I paid $50 for Earthbound in 2005. Its pricing today is OBSCENE.

Jim_Purcell

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

265. Posted:

Jim_Purcell wrote:

Pics for proof. We need to bust the seller for violating the EarthBound Agreement of 2003.

Best YT show here!
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

Jim_Purcell

266. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Jim_Purcell wrote:

Pics for proof. We need to bust the seller for violating the EarthBound Agreement of 2003.

Unfortunately I traded it in for some cash & store credit sometime in 2009 or 2010. I still kick myself over that, because a few years latter I would get into Retro Collecting for real.

Jim_Purcell

AuthorMessage

Nintendo_Ninja

267. Posted:

You need to hush up before Nintendo starts listening! I would rather not be forced to pay $40 (or more) for a DIGITAL copy of Earthbound that I can't physically hold in my hands, re-sell, or lend to somebody.

Nintendo ID Network: Ninja84
I play World of Tanks: Ninja840

AuthorMessage

Jim_Purcell

268. Posted:

They're not going to charge $40 for a digital rerelease. Because Nintendo isn't completely stupid.

Jim_Purcell

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

269. Posted:

NONSENSE! They should charge $100 for both Mother games (each) because the demand is high. It makes perfect sense!

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

270. Posted:

WaLzgi wrote:

NONSENSE! They should charge $100 for both Mother games (each) because the demand is high. It makes perfect sense!

Psshh. $100 is the planned price for each digital manual. $200 if you want it in color.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage

Nintendo_Ninja

271. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

WaLzgi wrote:

Psshh. $100 is the planned price for each digital manual. $200 if you want it in color.

An extra $50 if you want words in it!

Nintendo ID Network: Ninja84
I play World of Tanks: Ninja840

AuthorMessage

MAB

272. Posted:

MAB wrote:

Untitled

It's good to see that Mega Drive classic Steel Empire is a step in the right direction for rare downloads... They're selling themselves short at $30 though when they should be really charging $300 ;)

@Taceus This crowd is the complete opposite of the Wonderful 101 ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage

AdventCloud

273. Posted:

I'm an avid collector as the next poster but YOU'VE GOT TO BE JOKING!

You're comparing the actual cart to its digital counterpart. Granted, the cart is rare and demands a high price but digital access to the game is not.

I mean, I understand your frustration but by the logic you suggest, I suppose movies with rare prints, etc. should demand exorbitant prices just because you'll be lucky to pry a coveted copy from Quentin Tarantino. Come on. I just don't see that as practical, especially for a digital copy aka temporary permission to access the license to the game.

YT VIDEO GAME & MOVIE CHANNEL AdventCloud
DK Jenga, Street Fighter II HD, MGSV: GroundZeroes -Spotlight-

Twitter: AdventCloud7

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

274. Posted:

AdventCloud wrote:

I'm an avid collector as the next poster but YOU'VE GOT TO BE JOKING!

You're comparing the actual cart to its digital counterpart. Granted, the cart is rare and demands a high price but digital access to the game is not.

I mean, I understand your frustration but by the logic you suggest, I suppose movies with rare prints, etc. should demand exorbitant prices just because you'll be lucky to pry a coveted copy from Quentin Tarantino. Come on. I just don't see that as practical, especially for a digital copy aka temporary permission to access the license to the game.

Don't worry, we'll be offering a yearly subscription so you can try it out. Plans start at a measly $7,900

And when I say yearly, I mean monthly. And when I say monthly, I mean February only. And when I say February, I mean the 29th day only.

Best YT show here!

AuthorMessage

KingMike

275. Posted:

A bit of an explanation.
So I lately have been watching Tomato streaming a Japanese FF6 mod. One of the running gag prizes the participating audience can earn is a "random coupon, may have expired". Also discussing EarthBound. Which brought me to bringing up this...
I remember the EB ads, used to have a bunch as a kid, now I have none. Each included a $10 coupon that expired in January 1996.
So far the lowest discovered original retail price was $5.99 at Best Buy. (unknown date, let's just guess maybe 1998 or so. Someone had previously posted a '97 BB ad that listed the game at $29.99.)
SO... if not for that pesky EXPIRATION DATE, one could get the game for... -$4.01. :D

Would that not be great to get a BRAND NEW EarthBound AND get paid $3-something (eh, you still gotta pay the tax on that $5.99) for PURIFYING the store shelf of a "stinky" game. :)

KingMike

AuthorMessage

ogo79

276. Posted:

Untitled
disclaimer: not valid with the rare downloads program

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

PKpunky

277. Posted:

Give me a pizza smelling air freshener, and I just might sign up.

PKpunky

3DS Friend Code: 4313-0436-2109 | Nintendo Network ID: PK_Ness

AuthorMessage

KingMike

278. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

Untitled
disclaimer: not valid with the rare downloads program

You'll never make it in the business without sales.
C'mon man, don't be so greedy.
You can at least give them $100 off NWC for a limited time.
Or maybe buy Dinosaur Peak get, I don't know, um, Chubby Cherub free (or if you want to be more generous, the manual free).

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

279. Posted:

Following @KingMike's advice, upon launch day all "rare downloads" will be 10% off, with one purchase of Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt at $2,999.

Best YT show here!

AuthorMessage

ogo79

280. Posted:

PKpunky wrote:

Give me a pizza smelling air freshener, and I just might sign up.

i actually almost got one of those for 350$ but the package had been opened on the end. the description said "new". its not new if its opened.

the_shpydar wrote: