Wii U Virtual Console Forum

Topic: Is Wii U VC keeping pace with Wii VC?

Showing 61 to 80 of 84

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DarkEdi

61. Posted:

There are games that never will come to the slower Wii U VC. Like Activision games, in january was deleted Pitfall and Shangai from Genesis in Wii VC. Even if Genesis come back to Wii U this games are an example of games that never will return (like Yoshi´s Cookies or all Commodore 64 games).

So keep downloading Wii VC games, it is very possible they never will back to Wii U VC, and if they back you can get them with discount.

Wii U: edi_tena (please tell me you are from NintendoLife)
Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

Nintendo Network ID: edi_tena

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zach

62. Posted:

Hey everyone, I'm back again to wipe the vomit from my lips and recount just how badly the Wii U VC failed this Thursday in comparison to its 2007 counterpart.

This Thursday, 3/6/14, 1 year and 6 weeks since launch, the Wii U VC got NES Open Tournament Golf (NES).

On 12/31/07, 1 year and 6 weeks since its launch, the Wii VC got Bubble Bobble (NES), Light Crusader (Genesis) and Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy (Neo Geo).

I wasn't familiar with 2/3 of those, so I looked up their review scores here: 8,10 7/10 and 8/10. The Wii U's offering got a 6/10.

Any old assets owned by defunct companies were bought up or can be bought up. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Back to sleep til next week...

Edited on by Zach

Zach

Twitter: zachkaplan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

63. Posted:

Here, I made a graph. It compares how many games have been added to the Wii VC to the Wii U VC. But to be fair, I'm comparing the weeks since the VC service launched on each console. For the Wii, it started 1 week after launch. For the Wii U, it didn't start until 5 months after, not counting the trial VC games.
Untitled
Does it look as bad when you look at it like that? Honestly, going over the data, I'm surprised that the Wii had a lot of weeks where they only added 1 or 2 VC games, as I thought 3 a week was pretty standard throughout the Wii's lifespan, but I guess not right away.

Edit Correct graph is here.

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

64. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

Here, I made a graph. It compares how many games have been added to the Wii VC to the Wii U VC. But to be fair, I'm comparing the weeks since the VC service launched on each console. For the Wii, it started 1 week after launch. For the Wii U, it didn't start until 5 months after, not counting the trial VC games.
Untitled

Would be a good graph exepct from what I can tell you're only counting NES games. Even if we say that the Wii U VC launch date was April 26th and add all of the games trickled out before it still doesn't look that great for the Wii U.

"Week 1" it's 8 on the Wii U VC vs 14 on the Wii VC. Then there's the variety of games...

"Week 1" the Wii VC got:
NES: Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, Pinball, Soccer, Solomon's Key, The Legend of Zelda, Wario's Woods
SNES: F-Zero, Sim City
N64: Super Mario 64
Genesis: Altered Beast, Sonic the Hedgehog
TurboGrafx: Bomberman '93, Bonk's Adventure

The "first week" of the Wii U VC, keeping in mind that this was three months after the first VC title, the Wii U had
NES: Balloon Fight, Punch-Out!!, Kirby's Adventure, DK Jr, Excitebike, Ice Climber
SNES: F-Zero, Super Mario World

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

65. Posted:

I wasn't just counting NES games. It is, however, North American releases only, which I forgot to mention.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

66. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

I wasn't just counting NES games. It is, however, North American releases only, which I forgot to mention.

Well you've done something strange because there were 12 titles available on the NA VC at launch with another two available two days after. Then 17 in Europe, 11 in Australasia and 38 in Japan. So something's odd about your graph only showing 7 for the Wii VC on week 1.... and it just happens to line up with the NES releases.

If we want to do like for like from the VC "launch date" then it would be something more like this for the weeks after the launch of the service:
Wii: 14, 3, 4, 4, 5, 2, 3
Wii U: 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 4, 2, 2, 3

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

67. Posted:

What is your source?

And why do you say "launch date" in quotes? Like that's not the real launch date? According to Nintendo it is, so it is.

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

68. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

What is your source?

And why do you say "launch date" in quotes? Like that's not the real launch date? According to Nintendo it is, so it is.

According to Nintendo Super Mario Bros 3 would be released before end of 2013 in NA. (It didn't so what they say is no longer trustworthy. Only what they do can be taken into consideration).

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BABBLE

69. Posted:

i can't get super mario 3 yet. you can't get simcity anymore. i downloaded simcity for vc some time ago and now it's gone.i think because EA owns Maxis or something. Maybe wii u vc will catch up. It's hard for someone like me who has downloaded 70 games on wii vc to complain. i haven't got any of my 64 games here on wii u yet.

BABBLE

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

70. Posted:

@unrandomsam I hope you're not serious.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SuperMalleo

71. Posted:

@DragonEaterMe The reason why SimCity was removed is exactly what you said. EA owns the license and they won't put their old games on the VC either.

Plumber extraordinaire at your service.
配管工の非凡なあなたのサービスで。
YouTube Channel | Miiverse | deviantART | Hatena

3DS Friend Code: 2809-8065-2098 | Nintendo Network ID: MarioOtaku350

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

72. Posted:

SimCity was likely removed because Nintendo's license expired. EA owned Maxis since LONG before the Wii.

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

73. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

What is your source?

For stuff that far back? Wikipedia. Nobody else has made a list of this especially one that's still easy to find.

Just to be sure though I double checked by googling and found Kotaku & NL articles talking about those same games around the same time. Also searching for those games using the NL search box and going to the Wii VC version shows the release date of 19 Nov 2006 for NA. I did this for Mario 64, Wario's Woods and F-Zero and I assume it's true of all of them because there's no reason for it not to be. Double check if you want.

DudeSean wrote:

And why do you say "launch date" in quotes? Like that's not the real launch date? According to Nintendo it is, so it is.

Well because on the Wii U VC they launched the first VC game well before the official launch of the VC service. If you want to put the date for the Wii U VC launch as the same day it "officially" launched then it's just this:
Wii U: 8, 2, 2, 3
instead of this:
Wii U: 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 4, 2, 2, 3

but that still doesn't compare favourably to the Wii VC launch
Wii: 14, 3, 4, 4, 5, 2, 3

Neither of which line up with your graph at all. Again, because you were counting only NES titles from what I can tell.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DarkEdi

74. Posted:

I downloaded SimEarth from Genesis in the Wii VC because I remembered this is a Maxis game and maybe soon will be deleted.

Wii U: edi_tena (please tell me you are from NintendoLife)
Me gusta jugar videojuegos. Soy de México. Sorry my english grammar. I love the Virtual Console, party and fighting games too.

Nintendo Network ID: edi_tena

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

75. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

What is your source?

And why do you say "launch date" in quotes? Like that's not the real launch date? According to Nintendo it is, so it is.

I bought a Wii because of the the VC. I followed VC news for years, I signed up for this site back when it was called www.vc-reviews.com. I can assure you that list is correct. There were 14 VC games in the first week in NA.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

faint

76. Posted:

slightly off topic but have you guys noticed the skrewy dates on club nintendo america for the next few indie title? the are 3 4 and five days apart instead of 7. could this mean we will start getting games every couple of days? it all starts after the big update on thursday [us] btw

friend code: 0103-9004-2456

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MeWario

77. Posted:

Thanks for this thread. I have been quite curious to see how big a difference each console had at this stage on their existence . Bigger difference then I thought! - which I find very depressing.

It's Wario time Yaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SparkOfSpirit

78. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

What is your source?

And why do you say "launch date" in quotes? Like that's not the real launch date? According to Nintendo it is, so it is.

I bought a Wii because of the the VC. I followed VC news for years, I signed up for this site back when it was called www.vc-reviews.com. I can assure you that list is correct. There were 14 VC games in the first week in NA.

Same here. The VC rarely ever dropped below three games a week before WiiWare came along and had far more systems available out the gate. There was far more offered and on a very consistent basis.

The Wii U VC is falling monumentally short of the Wii's VC and there should be no excuse for it.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

79. Posted:

@skywake @brooks83 @SparkOfSpirit
I apologize, my graph was indeed wrong. Here is an accurate graph I made using the data from here on Nintendo Life's game lists:
Untitled

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

80. Posted:

Seriously, though, I think the reason why Wii U VC is slower than Wii VC is pretty simple: There were more Wii systems out there so there were more potential VC customers. There are less Wii U systems out there and so less potential customers. I guess it just doesn't make sense to sell the same number of games to a substantially smaller number of people. Even though games like Spelunker got a whole week to itself, I doubt it did any better on Wii U than it did on Wii. If Spelunker released alongside two other VC titles on a system with a much smaller audience than Wii, I guarantee you it would sell a lot worse.

Long story short, Wii U sales are bad so VC suffers.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean