Forums

Topic: The Unofficial Earthbound Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 311

Klimbatize

For the record, way back on page 1 when I said I can't wait to see how overrated this game is, that doesn't mean I think/hope it's going to suck. And no, I'm not automatically going to hate it for some dumb reason like I want to be right about it being overrated or something. I only recently played Cave Story for the first time and that was a game that was hyped up quite a bit for me, but it lived up to my expectations. I'm glad it did. I just don't see how anything could live up to Earthbound's level of hype. I know several people who have this as their favorite game of all time, and people have been clamoring for this game for so long it's nearly impossible to live up the expectations people have set for me.

And yeah, "overrated" is thrown around a lot, but in this situation I'm betting it absolutely applies. I'll play it with an open mind and see what happens. I'm sure it'll be a good game. I hope I'm wrong about it probably being overrated. Something tells me I'm not.

Edited on by Klimbatize

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

Electricmastro

MetallicDonkey wrote:

For the record, way back on page 1 when I said I can't wait to see how overrated this game is, that doesn't mean I think/hope it's going to suck. And no, I'm not automatically going to hate it for some dumb reason like I want to be right about it being overrated or something. I only recently played Cave Story for the first time and that was a game that was hyped up quite a bit for me, but it lived up to my expectations. I'm glad it did. I just don't see how anything could live up to Earthbound's level of hype. I know several people who have this as their favorite game of all time, and people have been clamoring for this game for so long it's nearly impossible to live up the expectations people have set for me.

And yeah, "overrated" is thrown around a lot, but in this situation I'm betting it absolutely applies. I'll play it with an open mind and see what happens. I'm sure it'll be a good game. I hope I'm wrong about it probably being overrated. Something tells me I'm not.

Even if you don't find it living up to the hype, if people truly and honestly have it as their #1 favorite game of all time, then ok, it's their favorite game. Personally, I think that the abundant amount of praise comes from wanting to show how much people still loved this game just to have Nintendo release it in the first place.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

Geonjaha

CanisWolfred wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

I was just making a general statement as he did

Because stooping to others' lows (and then some) is always such a great idea.

And then some? Wow you really let those three words get to you didn't you...

Honestly I think you're expecting way too many people to just try and hate the game when they first play it. Just because some people are somewhat cynical over a game that is as hyped as Earthbound is doesn't mean they're going to purposefully ruin their own enjoyment of a game they payed for.

It's the unfortunate situation where people who just started playing it will say 'It's not as good as people said it was' and the fans take that to mean 'It's a bad game'.

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Tasuki

Well I decided to fire up my old Earthbound cartridge due to the news of it coming to the Wii U VC and I have to say its been awhile since I played it and it still has its charm that it had so many years ago. So can't wait to play this on the gamepad.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Big_L91

i would go so far to say its probably my favorite rpg! something about its atmosphere and setting really resounds with me there isnt anything else quite like it the closest i would say is pokemon, and look how high people hold the pokemon games. it really is like looking at the world though kids eyes playing this, its a truely magical game and i cant wait to play it legally. roll on mother 3 as ive never played it its probably a long shot... but i can dream.

put it on.

CanisWolfred

Geonjaha wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

I was just making a general statement as he did

Because stooping to others' lows (and then some) is always such a great idea.

And then some? Wow you really let those three words get to you didn't you...

I was mearly referring to how you're acting childish by doing exactly what you didn't like other people doing, and that it's a horrible way to try to prove a point.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Electricmastro

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by Electricmastro

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

Tasuki

I wonder where they got that price from? I wouldn't expect it to be much more than any other VC game on the Wii U, but who knows. Regardless I would still buy it even at that price so I can finally retire my cartridge.

My Backlog

Ryno

@Tasuki: Yeah, I would love a physical Wii U copy and I would gladly pay regular retail price for it and retire my cart as well. Could you imagine though if it was a collection of 1-3?

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

ogo79

hehehehehe...

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

SCRAPPER392

That Amazon seems KINDA iffy... It could be all 3 Mother games. I still want the download versions, but maybe it will come with a guide like it originally did. Who knows. If it was a collection, it would be the GBA versions most likely.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

Retailers always inflate prices for unpriced items as a way to cover themselves. If they take a guess at the price and are under people will put in orders for it and rage if they don't sell it to them at that price. It happens and they almost always honor the low price. So you guess well over to the point that it's unlikely you're guessing under the actual price and then sell it for the RRP at launch.

It's why EB Games put the placeholder price for the Wii U when it was first announced at $599AU even though it ended up at $430/350AU. Same again with the PS4/XB1 which they've put placeholders of $899AU. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already reported that price as fact on some gamer site...

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Tasuki

Well I do know that Amazon too has a price guarantee deal that if the price goes up from when you placed the order you get the item at the price you ordered it at. I had that happened with the Dark Knight Blu Ray set. I preordered a set for myself and a set for a Christmas gift for my brother. Amazon had the price listed at $39.99 when I preordered it. When it came out though it was $59.99 so Amazon gave both of them to me for $39.99. So yeah I don't think Amazon wants to do that too often.

Heck I remember when the Wii U games were first announced and places like Game Stop were using the place holder of $99.99 for games and people were raging that games for the Wii U were going to cost $100.

My Backlog

Safari_ghost

Is it a virtual console version or a new game?

3ds Friend code 4914-3359-2138

Tasuki

Well during a Nintendo Direct it was announced as a VC title. Which would make sense since Japan has it as a VC title.

My Backlog

RetroGBHippie92

When do you think they'll release Earthbound on the VC? It feels like its coming out awefully close to E3, I would jump off my seat if it they announced it in the next Nintendo Directs.

My Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB
Currently Playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity (3DS) The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves (eShop)
My Backloggery
3DS FC: 2320 6151 3634
Email me at [email protected]...

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6151-3634 | Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB

Tasuki

Wasn't sure if I missed something today but was there any news as to when this is coming to the VC?

My Backlog

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.