Forums

Topic: DS games coming to Wii-U

Posts 101 to 102 of 102

Atariboy

GBA hardware didn't have wireless multiplayer. Any support there with linking up with actual Game Boy Advance hardware to the Wii U would've required releasing a specialized USB cable. Here with DS downloads, the hardware necessary for communication is built-in so it theoretically stands a better chance of happening.

I still firmly believe that such a feature can be safely ruled out as being included (if for nothing else, the challenge of maintaining stability with original hardware talking to an inaccurate software reproduction of the DS running via the Wii U). But at least it's a reasonable, albeit distant hope where as a USB Wii U to GBA link cable obviously belongs squarely in the domain of fantasy.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

Atariboy

Yellowtails wrote:

The GBA did have a wireless adapter, even though not a lot of games support it.

I'm aware of it, but it wasn't built into the GBA's hardware and was compatible with so few games and was so uncommon, it simply wasn't worth acknowledging.

Yellowtails wrote:

And multiplayer DS games most likely wouldn't work locally and would have to be online, which won't happen.

Local multiplayer DS gaming if it was included with Wii U Virtual Console downloads of such titles as Mario Kart DS, doesn't have to take place over the internet. The Wii U's Wifi module is more than capable of directly communicating with the DS and the 3DS, which is the hardware that both handhelds rely upon for local multiplayer.

Yellowtails wrote:

I don't see how DS games are going to work on the Wii U. It's like they just announced it without even knowing how they're going to do it. I'll just stick to finding DS games in cart form.

What don't you understand about DS games on the Wii U? Some are obviously better suited than others for making the transition, such as games like Mario Kart DS that use the upper screen and d-pad/button control almost exclusively instead of a touch screen heavy game like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks where your attention is largely focused on the touch screen. In those instances, I'm sure they'll make the leap just fine.

And when there are native Wii U projects releases that have you mostly staring at your gamepad instead of your tv (I'm thinking of the Scribblenauts games in particular), I'm sure there will even be a market for games like the two Zelda's as well although I personally think it defeats the point of DS games on the Wii U if all you're basically doing is looking at the gamepad screen all of the time.

It's even easy to see how games like Yoshi's Island DS and Contra 4 could make the transition by displaying both screen's stacked one on the other on the tv. It obviously will be far from full-screen, but the typical HDTV is so large these days that even something like a classic vertical 3:4 arcade game displayed on a 16:9 HDTV, such as this screenshot of Satan's Hollow running on Midway Arcade Origins for the 360/PS3, blows away the size of the actual arcade monitor used in the original cabinets (19" on the full size machine, 13" on the cabaret version as I recall were fairly standard dimensions back then).

Untitled

Untitled

About all I can't imagine are games that spread the playfield across both screens while relying on touch control, such as many of the minigames on Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Bros. I suppose one screen could be stacked above the other and be streamed completely to the gamepad screen so you can give equal attention to both, but the size of the picture will be far less than even a non XL DS or 3DS system.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.