Wii Forum

Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Showing 881 to 900 of 1,935

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

881. Posted:

Wow, I have not had any such problems. Except for bomb bowling, which took me awhile to figure out. And this game would be completely unplayable with a Classic Controller.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Adam

882. Posted:

Not really. The sword only swings in 8 directions. A second joystick would handle that fine. Flight handles perfectly fine with one or two analogs in other games. Etc. Admittedly, I have seen something like -5999% of the total item inventory in the game, but I can't think of anything impossible for a traditional game controller to simulate. That kind of controller has stuck around for years because it gets things done.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

SkywardL

883. Posted:

AtomicOtaku wrote:

I hate how you can't save whenever you want. :(

I guess that means you're not a fan of Majora's Mask then?

3DS Friendcode: 1590 - 4719 - 1381
Friend Safari: Gabite, Shelgon, and Sliggoo

AuthorMessage

Link79

884. Posted:

I must be really slow at this. Five hours in and I haven't even been to the first dungeon yet.
Of course I am screwing around a bit just getting used to things.
Hopefully I start getting into some action soon.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage

TheKingOfTown

885. Posted:

Project-L wrote:

AtomicOtaku wrote:

I hate how you can't save whenever you want. :(

I guess that means you're not a fan of Majora's Mask then?

You could save whenever you wanted in MM. You just played the song of time. With this, you have to find a statue.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

886. Posted:

Adam wrote:

Not really. The sword only swings in 8 directions. A second joystick would handle that fine. Flight handles perfectly fine with one or two analogs in other games. Etc. Admittedly, I have seen something like -5999% of the total item inventory in the game, but I can't think of anything impossible for a traditional game controller to simulate. That kind of controller has stuck around for years because it gets things done.

Yes, but I think most would argue that the Motion+ gets things done. It may be possible for the game to function with a "regular" controller, but what's the point in that? Nintendo had something to say with this game, a vision. To allow someone to play Skyward Sword with a traditional controller is like someone remastering Citizen Kane for color. Sure, it'd still look and sound the same, but boy would ruin how the experience feels. The game was meant to explore motion controls, and I think to play it any other way would destroy their artistic vision.

@AtomicOtaku: What makes you think you won't be playing any songs in SS? ;)

Edited on by Kid_A

AuthorMessage

Adam

887. Posted:

It would be easy to make this playable with a Classic. Some parts of it are barely playable with motion controls in my experience. The point would be that the controls would work. The game's controls don't add anything for me.

It would have been an easy option to add. Obviously you like motion controls. What is the point in asking what the point of a control option is when someone is not enjoying the controls as they are? The game has a lot going for it other than its controls. It would still be a standout, unique entry in the series either way, and options never hurt anyone.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

888. Posted:

For me, giving the option to play the game another way would show a lack of confidence on Nintendo's part. Like, "We want you to experience this game with motion controls!...but..."

I wouldn't say I like motion controls, only that I like good controls. I think Skyward Sword has brilliant controls, but I obviously haven't encountered the issues you have. I can only speak of my own experience with the game, and in my experience it's the tactile, immersive, playful controls that make Skyward so absorbing, and experiencing the game any other way...I just can't fathom it.

Edited on by Kid_A

AuthorMessage

Adam

889. Posted:

I meant you like motion controls in this game.

Nintendo offers control options in Mario Kart. No one doubted their confidence there, and if they did, the golden Wii wheel icon was enough incentive for many to stick it out even if they preferred the classic.

Anyway, if I don't have to bomb bowl much more, that was really the only part that was super frustrating. Sword controls can be wonky from time to time, and flight is really weird still, but neither is that difficult and more importantly, neither blows up on you if you do it wrong!

Even if the controls were abysmal, I would still like it more than the other 3D Zeldas solely for the joys of the RC Beetle. I don't know why the whole game isn't centered around this item.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

irken004

890. Posted:

Got to the Lanayru desert area today. Also spent some time exploring the smaller areas around Skyloft.

Edited on by irken004

Backloggery

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

891. Posted:

Adam wrote:

I know some people enjoyed making fun of Gamespot because they had trouble with the controls (I didn't read it, so I don't know their particular complaints), but I have to say they aren't working that great for me either, unfortunately.

Wow. I came in here to say that the controls are a lot less responsive than I expected, and I thought no one would agree.

But that's my only complaint. Everything else is amazing, and so far I give the game 10/10 despite the disappointing controls.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

Adam

892. Posted:

I figured the same, and yea, it's a fun game. Motion controls or no, it's nothing close to a perfect game for me, but I just got into Earth Temple, so my opinion is of no consequence yet.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

irken004

893. Posted:

I think the controls are much more impressive and responsive than those in Twilight Princess, with the only exception being the motion control for the shield. I feel like the shield should automatically be positioned when Link z-targets an enemy, instead of having to thrust the nunchuk forward to equip it, even when already z-targeting.

Backloggery

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

894. Posted:

I never had problems with Twilight Princess's controls. Now more of my attention is going to what I'm doing with the remote than the game itself. For every use of the controller (sword combat, flying, balancing, etc.), there are times when the game won't register what I'm doing, and I often end up slashing in the wrong direction or not slashing at all. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it can get really annoying.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

Mizore

895. Posted:

...WTF Beedle? First you raise the price of that stupid pouch when I thought I had enough...then you just randomly open up a trapdoor because I didn't buy anything?! WTF?! xD

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
"If I find out that you're lying to me, I will stalk you...then freeze you solid.".

AuthorMessage

bonesy91

896. Posted:

Eureka wrote:

...WTF Beedle? First you raise the price of that stupid pouch when I thought I had enough...then you just randomly open up a trapdoor because I didn't buy anything?! WTF?! xD

Lol this just happened to me as well XD (and the same Item, doubling your prices in just an hour after I bought the first one?)

did you ever examine an item but not buy it from the creepy stalker shop keeper in the bazaar? he gives you a very creepy look 0.o

(side note: just beat valcano... boss was way, way to easy... at least it took more than 3 hits though :P and the getting the boss key... that must have been some kind of joke...)

Wiiu: "the next generation of gaming is here"
All My info! 3DS friend code, PSN ID and WiiU ID on my backlog!
Wiiu ID: bonesy. Add me if you play monster hunter 3 ultimate.

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

897. Posted:

irken004 wrote:

I think the controls are much more impressive and responsive than those in Twilight Princess, with the only exception being the motion control for the shield. I feel like the shield should automatically be positioned when Link z-targets an enemy, instead of having to thrust the nunchuk forward to equip it, even when already z-targeting.

It's because the shield here is used more to counter then to just block,if you want to avoid also since you can break it sometimes I don't need it. If you want to avoid something, dodge, if you want to break someone's defense counter their attack with the shield.

Also I am NOT having ANY problems at all, not even with the bird! Idk how people are gamestop are complaining SO MUCH, I just think they are frustrated because their not used to it. I haven't gotten to any bombs but everything has been perfect control wise. I also love the graphics, I don't think it looks worse then TP or like a 64 game it looks REAL good on my HD tv. To people who say Wii looks bad on those tv's is it just the brand, the cables, size of the tv, settings or what?

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage

Mizore

898. Posted:

The fiery walnut thing was kinda hard for me. xD (Earth Temple boss, lol)
I don't even remember buying the first-...well, maybe I have...ugh, I can't remember now.

....(lol...Grooseland)

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
"If I find out that you're lying to me, I will stalk you...then freeze you solid.".

AuthorMessage

Link79

899. Posted:

I'm really getting sick of hearing complaints about the controls.
Aren't people used to motion controls in Wii games by now? The one's in Skyward Sword are done really well in my experience. They are even more precise with Wii motion Plus. That guy that did the review that's got everybody pissed clearly didn't understand how it works.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage

Ecto-1

900. Posted:

Adam wrote:

Motion controls don't work too well for me, particularly the bombs. It took me half an hour probably to bowl a bomb across that bridge early on, and I still have more bowling to do thanks to the fire breathing enemies in their holes. The motion is really awkward when tethered to the nunchuk since the cord ends up hitting me mid-swing. Walking into position and aligning the path of the bomb takes too long compared to the time of the fuse, and then the path gets screwed up when you pull the remote back to bowl... that is, if it doesn't change to a throw motion mid-swing and screw everything up, or worse pull out your sword so that it explodes at your feet.

I know some people enjoyed making fun of Gamespot because they had trouble with the controls (I didn't read it, so I don't know their particular complaints), but I have to say they aren't working that great for me either, unfortunately. Fine game despite the frequent frustrations. The soundtrack is the best since Link to the Past.

I initially had some trouble with the bowling, although I think that was more because of my play environment rather than the game (too much furniture). I found that I could avoid knocking things in my room over by playing with much smaller movements. Just tilt the remote down until you see the arrow on the ground then flick it upwards. I found I can actually play the entire game with smaller movements if I needed to and I have no major problems.

Edited on by Ecto-1

Boo! I'm a ghost.
Check out my Rytmik songs on Youtube
Colors 3D Gallery

3DS Friend Code: 3566-1553-9977 | Nintendo Network ID: ECTO-1989