Forums

Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Posts 841 to 860 of 1,905

bonesy91

@SilentJ Same here! I stood waited outside my bestbuy for an hour. And with only 7 copies of the bundle available and 5 people (including myself) in line to pick it up, I'm glad I waited!

So I'm about 8 hours in now. Made it to the 2nd place (trying to take my time and enjoy every aspect of this game) Still loving it! Just every part of this game is impressive! the little details, the characters (did I mention I love this game?) and the controls... I swear, I don't think I could every play another Zelda Console game without these controls! it just makes every past Action RPG I've ever played look like a kiddy button masher (of course those games were still lots of fun, but you know what I mean lol just feeling blinded by the awesomeness B) )

This might quite possibly be the Best Video game I've ever played... But of course, I have to wait till I finish to give my final results lol.

Edited on by bonesy91

Wiiu: "the next generation of gaming is here"
All My info! 3DS friend code, PSN ID and WiiU ID on my backlog!
Wiiu ID: bonesy. Add me if you play monster hunter 3 ultimate.

TheKingOfTown

I hate how you can't save whenever you want.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

Adam

Motion controls don't work too well for me, particularly the bombs. It took me half an hour probably to bowl a bomb across that bridge early on, and I still have more bowling to do thanks to the fire breathing enemies in their holes. The motion is really awkward when tethered to the nunchuk since the cord ends up hitting me mid-swing. Walking into position and aligning the path of the bomb takes too long compared to the time of the fuse, and then the path gets screwed up when you pull the remote back to bowl... that is, if it doesn't change to a throw motion mid-swing and screw everything up, or worse pull out your sword so that it explodes at your feet.

I know some people enjoyed making fun of Gamespot because they had trouble with the controls (I didn't read it, so I don't know their particular complaints), but I have to say they aren't working that great for me either, unfortunately. Fine game despite the frequent frustrations. The soundtrack is the best since Link to the Past.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

LzWinky

Adam wrote:

The motion controls constantly fail me without ever particularly enhancing the experience when they do happen to work correctly. The sword sometimes follows exactly but not always. I calibrated it and it would still hold out right behind me when I actually had it at my side. Sometimes it swings when I just want to move it. Sometimes I pull out the sword when I am trying to manipulate a B item. Sword play just isn't that exciting when the most common enemies, Bokoblins, generally block faster than you can thoughtfully swing, encouraging you to waggle attack, which kills them faster and easier.

But it wasn't even really bothering me until Eldin and the bombs. I understand someone must have really liked Wii Bowling, but it is just not working. It took me half an hour probably to bowl a bomb across that bridge early on, and I still have more bowling to do thanks to the fire breathing enemies in their holes. The motion is really awkward when tethered to the nunchuk since the cord ends up hitting me mid-swing. Walking into position and aligning the path of the bomb takes too long compared to the time of the fuse, and then the path gets screwed up when you pull the remote back to bowl... that is, if it doesn't change to a throw motion mid-swing and screw everything up, or worse pull out your sword so that it explodes at your feet.

I know some people enjoyed making fun of Gamespot because they had trouble with the controls (I didn't read it, so I don't know their particular complaints), but I have to say they aren't working that great for me either, unfortunately. I think it's a fine game so far despite that and hope the controls don't frustrate me too much to finish, but I would have liked this a lot more with a Classic Controller option.

For me practice makes perfect. I'm having these issues as well but a bit of practice helps me a lot

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Adam

It definitely gets easier, but very, very slowly, and often it is just off.

Come on, friends,

Kid_A

Wow, I have not had any such problems. Except for bomb bowling, which took me awhile to figure out. And this game would be completely unplayable with a Classic Controller.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Adam

Not really. The sword only swings in 8 directions. A second joystick would handle that fine. Flight handles perfectly fine with one or two analogs in other games. Etc. Admittedly, I have seen something like -5999% of the total item inventory in the game, but I can't think of anything impossible for a traditional game controller to simulate. That kind of controller has stuck around for years because it gets things done.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Link79

I must be really slow at this. Five hours in and I haven't even been to the first dungeon yet.
Of course I am screwing around a bit just getting used to things.
Hopefully I start getting into some action soon.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

TheKingOfTown

Project-L wrote:

AtomicOtaku wrote:

I hate how you can't save whenever you want.

I guess that means you're not a fan of Majora's Mask then?

You could save whenever you wanted in MM. You just played the song of time. With this, you have to find a statue.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

Kid_A

Adam wrote:

Not really. The sword only swings in 8 directions. A second joystick would handle that fine. Flight handles perfectly fine with one or two analogs in other games. Etc. Admittedly, I have seen something like -5999% of the total item inventory in the game, but I can't think of anything impossible for a traditional game controller to simulate. That kind of controller has stuck around for years because it gets things done.

Yes, but I think most would argue that the Motion+ gets things done. It may be possible for the game to function with a "regular" controller, but what's the point in that? Nintendo had something to say with this game, a vision. To allow someone to play Skyward Sword with a traditional controller is like someone remastering Citizen Kane for color. Sure, it'd still look and sound the same, but boy would ruin how the experience feels. The game was meant to explore motion controls, and I think to play it any other way would destroy their artistic vision.

@AtomicOtaku: What makes you think you won't be playing any songs in SS?

Edited on by Kid_A

Adam

It would be easy to make this playable with a Classic. Some parts of it are barely playable with motion controls in my experience. The point would be that the controls would work. The game's controls don't add anything for me.

It would have been an easy option to add. Obviously you like motion controls. What is the point in asking what the point of a control option is when someone is not enjoying the controls as they are? The game has a lot going for it other than its controls. It would still be a standout, unique entry in the series either way, and options never hurt anyone.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Kid_A

For me, giving the option to play the game another way would show a lack of confidence on Nintendo's part. Like, "We want you to experience this game with motion controls!...but..."

I wouldn't say I like motion controls, only that I like good controls. I think Skyward Sword has brilliant controls, but I obviously haven't encountered the issues you have. I can only speak of my own experience with the game, and in my experience it's the tactile, immersive, playful controls that make Skyward so absorbing, and experiencing the game any other way...I just can't fathom it.

Edited on by Kid_A

Adam

I meant you like motion controls in this game.

Nintendo offers control options in Mario Kart. No one doubted their confidence there, and if they did, the golden Wii wheel icon was enough incentive for many to stick it out even if they preferred the classic.

Anyway, if I don't have to bomb bowl much more, that was really the only part that was super frustrating. Sword controls can be wonky from time to time, and flight is really weird still, but neither is that difficult and more importantly, neither blows up on you if you do it wrong!

Even if the controls were abysmal, I would still like it more than the other 3D Zeldas solely for the joys of the RC Beetle. I don't know why the whole game isn't centered around this item.

Come on, friends,

irken004

Got to the Lanayru desert area today. Also spent some time exploring the smaller areas around Skyloft.

Edited on by irken004

Meta-Rift

Adam wrote:

I know some people enjoyed making fun of Gamespot because they had trouble with the controls (I didn't read it, so I don't know their particular complaints), but I have to say they aren't working that great for me either, unfortunately.

Wow. I came in here to say that the controls are a lot less responsive than I expected, and I thought no one would agree.

But that's my only complaint. Everything else is amazing, and so far I give the game 10/10 despite the disappointing controls.

Meta-Rift

Adam

I figured the same, and yea, it's a fun game. Motion controls or no, it's nothing close to a perfect game for me, but I just got into Earth Temple, so my opinion is of no consequence yet.

Come on, friends,

irken004

I think the controls are much more impressive and responsive than those in Twilight Princess, with the only exception being the motion control for the shield. I feel like the shield should automatically be positioned when Link z-targets an enemy, instead of having to thrust the nunchuk forward to equip it, even when already z-targeting.

Meta-Rift

I never had problems with Twilight Princess's controls. Now more of my attention is going to what I'm doing with the remote than the game itself. For every use of the controller (sword combat, flying, balancing, etc.), there are times when the game won't register what I'm doing, and I often end up slashing in the wrong direction or not slashing at all. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it can get really annoying.

Meta-Rift

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.