Forums

Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Posts 481 to 500 of 1,905

shingi_70

Don't even have a wii and won't have one until Wii U and im still thinking of picking this game up. Mainly for that first run CD.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Meta-Rift

@tendoboy1984: Zelda II's controls are fine. It would be awkward if Link moved any faster. I have no idea what bugs you're talking about, and every NES game that has more than a few lines of dialogue is plagued with translation errors. The overworld looks no worse than a typical 8 bit RPG.

Zelda II is hard because the enemies are hard.

Meta-Rift

NX01Trekkie1992

tendoboy1984 wrote:

YashaTheSlayer wrote:

I had little to no issues with movement, controls are precise enough, I haven't found any bugs myself, translation (at least in those days) was bad in almost ALL NES games (including the original Zelda), overworld was simple but pretty (at least to me), and random battles were avoidable in a lot of areas

How can random battles be avoidable if they're random? Enemies popped up everywhere when you were on the main field. I just don't like how they changed the game from top-down to mainly sidescrolling. And the overworld was way too zoomed out. It would have been much better if they kept the overworld like the original Zelda, and had the towns as separate sections.

Stay on the road, and the enemies can't attack you, that's how you avoid the battles

NX01Trekkie1992

Adam

Link controls fine, much better than Belmont. Supposedly bland presentation wouldn't affect difficulty if it were bland, which it certainly isn't. The game is hard because it is hard. I see no reason to make excuses. If you can't take the heat, get out of Hyrule.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

NX01Trekkie1992

Adam wrote:

If you can't take the heat, get out of Hyrule.

Best.
Line.
EVER!!!!!!!

NX01Trekkie1992

LordTendoboy

YashaTheSlayer wrote:

Adam wrote:

If you can't take the heat, get out of Hyrule.

Best.
Line.
EVER!!!!!!!

"Get out of Death Mountain" would have been more relevant.

Meta-Rift wrote:

@tendoboy1984: Zelda II's controls are fine. It would be awkward if Link moved any faster. I have no idea what bugs you're talking about, and every NES game that has more than a few lines of dialogue is plagued with translation errors. The overworld looks no worse than a typical 8 bit RPG.

But that's what I hate about those old RPGs. Why is the overworld zoomed out so much? Cramming the entire overworld on a single map just makes the game look too cramped. The other 2D Zelda games aren't like that, everything is separated by individual "screens".

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

Meta-Rift

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Meta-Rift wrote:

But that's what I hate about those old RPGs. Why is the overworld zoomed out so much? Cramming the entire overworld on a single map just makes the game look too cramped. The other 2D Zelda games aren't like that, everything is separated by individual "screens".

Having a zoomed-out view of the overworld lets you see more of the area around you so can navigate and avoid wandering aimlessly until you get killed. There's no point in having a close up view when there's nothing happening near you.

Having a zoomed-in view on the overworld would make the game even harder, so why would you complain about that?

Meta-Rift

LordTendoboy

Meta-Rift wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Meta-Rift wrote:

Having a zoomed-out view of the overworld lets you see more of the area around you so can navigate and avoid wandering aimlessly until you get killed. There's no point in having a close up view when there's nothing happening near you.

Having a zoomed-in view on the overworld would make the game even harder, so why would you complain about that?

Every single top-down Zelda game has a zoomed-in overworld, and those games play just fine. Besides, Zelda 2 (along with most JRPGs) has random battles, and that's the only "hazard" to worry about. There are no onscreen enemies to look out for.

Look at Pokemon, it has an art style that's very similar to the Zelda and Mother series, and it also has random battles.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

[...

Adam

You can't compare it to the other Zelda games because it isn't the same kind of game. It would make no sense to zoom in like in Zelda 1 because you are supposed to zoom into the encounter. The levels can't be at the same zoom as the map. The idea is that you see everything from a distance but when there is an encounter you zoom in. It works very well if you aren't trying to shove the game into the framework of another game.

If there were actual enemies on the screen, you would be playing two entirely different games, a game of Zelda 1 on the map and a game of Zelda 2 in the palaces and caves. Your complaint isn't one of bad game design but just the complaint of someone who doesn't like Zelda 2's game play and wants to turn everything back into Zelda 1 (welcome to 1987). But Zelda 1 already exists. So if you want that game, you'd be better off playing that game.

Zelda 2 is actually a very innovative game, and it's a shame it had the misfortune of being a Zelda game. If it had been given any other name, it would have been much better received without preconceptions of what it should be, and maybe we'd have seen a more refined sequel or two. But instead people can't stop focusing on the dissimilarities it has with other games in the series despite the fact that it is an entirely different kind of game.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Meta-Rift

@tendoboy1984: First of all, the art style has nothing to do with this. Zelda 1 needs the zoomed-in view because there are enemies on every screen. In the second game, enemies don't appear until you leave the path. You don't encounter those enemies until you touch one of the sprites on the overworld. Until that happens, there are no enemies.

No enemies = no need for a close-up view.

Meta-Rift

LordTendoboy

Meta-Rift wrote:

@tendoboy1984: First of all, the art style has nothing to do with this. Zelda 1 needs the zoomed-in view because there are enemies on every screen. In the second game, enemies don't appear until you leave the path. You don't encounter those enemies until you touch one of the sprites on the overworld. Until that happens, there are no enemies.

That's my point. I despise random battles. They're annoying and tedious. If Zelda 2 had no random encounters, then maybe I'd like it more.

[...

LzWinky

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Meta-Rift wrote:

That's my point. I despise random battles. They're annoying and tedious. If Zelda 2 had no random encounters, then maybe I'd like it more.

They're not exactly "random" if you run into them

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LordTendoboy

lz20XX wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Meta-Rift wrote:

When I played Zelda 2, there were no onscreen enemies on the overworld map. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

[...

LzWinky

tendoboy1984 wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Meta-Rift wrote:

When I played Zelda 2, there were no onscreen enemies on the overworld map. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

Which version were you playing? I played the NES, GC, VC, and 3DS ambassador versions and they ALL have enemies on the map

Edited on by LzWinky

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LordTendoboy

lz20XX wrote:

Which version were you playing? I played the NES, GC, VC, and 3DS ambassador versions and they ALL have enemies on the map

I played it on the Wii, but it was very very brief. I wandered around the map and didn't see any enemies onscreen except for Moblins. The rest were just random encounters like in any JRPG. Like I said, I played the game very briefly, I deleted it a few minutes after buying it.

[...

SMEXIZELDAMAN

In my version it was first person view and Link had a gun and it was HD. I have the better Xbox version though

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

TeeJay

Well, your memory must have been corrupted, because there are no random encounters.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

LzWinky

tendoboy1984 wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

I played it on the Wii, but it was very very brief. I wandered around the map and didn't see any enemies onscreen except for Moblins. The rest were just random encounters like in any JRPG. Like I said, I played the game very briefly, I deleted it a few minutes after buying it.

Do I even need to argue with this? Seriously, play more than a few minutes if you're gonna complain about something you are clearly wrong about

Joeynator3000

Was it Ocarina of Time? Cause while young Link at night, these (Stalchild?) skeleton creeps keep popping up. I don't remember any random encounters in Twilight Princess though. >.>

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Adam

There are no random encounters. Moblins pop up every few seconds, but it's possible to avoid them by fleeing to roads, and the intervals between encounters have very little variance, so it can't really be called random.

If you ever went into a level without running into a moblin, then you found a non-random level. Sometimes a patch of forest will contain a hidden level. This is not random. If you beat the level and come back to that same patch of forest, you will find it again.

You should probably play more than a few minutes of a game before criticizing it and saying what it should have been like. You can't possibly understand how the game works without playing it longer. If I just played a game of American football for two minutes, I would think the game consisted entirely of kick-offs and returns. I would also be wrong.

If you're a Zelda fan, you should download it again and give it a shot. Use a guide to get through the first castle if you don't understand what's going on, and then do the rest on your own if you don't like guides. It is a hard but fair game, like the original in that aspect, if that aspect only.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.