Wii Forum

Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Showing 201 to 220 of 1,935

AuthorMessage

TheBaconator

201. Posted:

I think they should have voice acting only if it works out well in Metroid Other M. If voice acting destroys that games experience then I say Zelda shouldn't go there, but if it works out well in a Metroid game it will most likley work in a Zelda title. An orchestated soundtrack is a must though.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

AuthorMessage

Adam

202. Posted:

Uhh, there are lots of fairy tale movies. And you aren't going to see them silent with subtitles.

The problem is that graphics are improving while dialog is going nowhere. With each game the characters look more and more alive... and yet they have no voice but to laugh or make these ridiculous, indecipherable grunts and noises while text is displayed on screen as their mouths move wordlessly or don't move at all. That doesn't sound like talking to me at all. That gives the impression that they are either infants or somehow psychically understand this nonsensical babble.

And not every game has voice acting. That's obviously very, very wrong. But certain types of games benefit greatly from it, and this would be one of them.

Not that I ever once said it was "mandatory," just that it would fit the series' continued, conscious push toward a more cinematic style. Having cut scenes stop while you read text and hear nothing really conflicts with that goal, a goal they've acknowledged since Ocarina.

Saying "what's really wrong with the way it is now" is the problem Zelda's had from the beginning. The series is constantly being accused of a fear of change, and then when someone suggests a change, there are just as many fans who say oh but it's fine how it is. We've had Zelda games with text. Why not try something new?

Worst case scenario: Some people don't like it, they learn their lesson, and they go back to text next time. Not like most games with voice acting don't have subtitles and an option to turn off voices anyway.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

203. Posted:

weirdadam wrote:

Worst case scenario: Some people don't like it, they learn their lesson, and they go back to text next time. Not like most games with voice acting don't have subtitles and an option to turn off voices anyway.

Exactly. To help prove your point, just look at Super Mario Sunshine's voice acting then look at the likes of Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. Nintendo knew it was bad, so they just went back to text.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

romulux

204. Posted:

Adam wrote:

We've had Zelda games with text. Why not try something new?

i can't argue with that. if nintendo wanted to take that route i'd be completely open to it, i just don't want them to do it because it's the thing you're "supposed to do". they thought about whether it was appropriate this time and said no, and the reason i agree with them is that zelda's characters are too cartoonish to pull off without the danger of becoming annoying or overly goofy. maybe when they do a more realistic and serious zelda, that'll be the time to try voice acting.

metroid is serious and grim enough for straightforward acting, but when it comes to voicing tingle you've got a challenge on your hands. i imagine he might sound like some sort of wet screeching octopus... the thought of it makes me wet my pants.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

205. Posted:

Now THIS is the 3D Zelda I've always wanted to play. The Art Direction is beautiful, colorful, surreal, vibrant and story-book like. And the incredible Motionplus controls and innovative gameplay elements make me wan't to scream like a school girl. For those who missed out on OOT, MM, WW and TP.....After playing Skyward Sword, they will no doubt have a hard time going back to traditional controls. Personally I'm more of a 2D Zelda nut. But Skward sword looks outstanding and the motionplus controls and new gameplay elements and everything are going to make this one amazing experience.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
Nintendo FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Adam

206. Posted:

Well, cartoons have voice acting, too, of course.

Dragon Quest 8 was cartoony, and if you listen to any of the conversations between Yangus and Trode, you'll see just what voice acting can add when done right. (Seriously, those two need a Saturday morning cartoon all to themselves.) Oh, and I should add that the main character doesn't talk in that game either, and it works fine.

Tingle with voice acting would be absolutely hilarious, though I don't think we'll see him in this game anyway, personally. And if the voice acting is that bad, we can turn it off.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Toonlink97

207. Posted:

Oh God no, not this stuff again....

Zelda doesn't need voice acting. I like to imagine the characters' voices when I'm playing it. Adding voice acting (especially the cheesy kind Nintendo's always doing) would be horrible. I prefer Link to be silent, and everyone else to be too. I wouldn't mind the gibberish voice acting Midna did though. Something along those lines would be okay.

Games I'm Looking Foward To Most -

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Okamiden
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Kid Icarus Uprising

AuthorMessage

hylianhalcyon

208. Posted:

Toonlink97 wrote:

Zelda doesn't need voice acting. I like to imagine the characters' voices when I'm playing it. Adding voice acting (especially the cheesy kind Nintendo's always doing) would be horrible. I prefer Link to be silent, and everyone else to be too. I wouldn't mind the gibberish voice acting Midna did though. Something along those lines would be okay.

Link being silent and having voice acting would work you know, it's not like if they would do voice acting they absolutely would have to give Link a voice. And as has already been said, take a look at Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, then tell people Nintendo can't do it. If they can do it right for Fire Emblem, I'm sure if they really wanted they could get it right for the flagship that is the Zelda series.

Edited on by hylianhalcyon

"People who alter or destroy works of art and cultural heritage for profit, or as an exercise of power, are barbarians." - George Lucas, 1988

AuthorMessage

Adam

209. Posted:

I don't understand how people can rank gibberish over good voice acting. To each his own, but that baffles me. Midna sounds like a drunk infant.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Faron

210. Posted:

Toonlink97 wrote:

I'm with you all the way.

Faron

AuthorMessage

OldBoy

211. Posted:

I'm not a big fan of voice acting in most games TBH and am glad that Nintendo is keeping Link and co. quiet.I think voice acting is fine for more mature games like GTA or Fallout but I think that it would ruin Zelda games.Not sure why though :D just my personal opinion.
As for story ,my God, who cares .Are people really playing Zelda for the story?!! Its good v Evil enough said.Unless something suddenly changes for Skyward sword I won't be hoping for anything other than 'This is the bad dude, go sort him out'.
I'm not really getting excited about Zelda anymore ,maybe because I've played nearly all of them I'm getting a bit burned out ,but unless there is a radical change to the structure of the game (unlikely!) I think I may give this one a miss.

What's this bit for again?

AuthorMessage

Adam

212. Posted:

They did say the dungeon / field and boss / treasure structure would be different this time around, Luigi. I'm quite excited to see to what degree, as I think that's exactly what Zelda needs. Not superficial changes like replacing Epona with a boat, new art style, new controls, or to a lesser extent turning Link into a wolf which just changes how you interact with the same game.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

ReddLionz

213. Posted:

Like Adam said before, you all are just stating the whole, "it's fine how it is" Zelda routine. I actually think voice acting would add to the experience, get you more involved in the characters. However, I also agree that Link shouldn't talk, that would be weird. But, I guess it's too late now.

Edited on by ReddLionz

"Just do It" -Nike
GAMECENTER ID: ReddLionz --- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 2535-5186-6845--Mario Kart Wii: 2277-7632-9262---Excitebots: 2665-2900-1186---Excitebike World Rally: 5242-1980-4163---Wii Number: 8286-0065-1295-5374

AuthorMessage

Adam

214. Posted:

Link is going to end his career someday with his most exciting line being, "I found a mirror under the table."

And we are all responsible.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

hulklol123456789

215. Posted:

I muist say that these game looks great!

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

AuthorMessage

OldBoy

216. Posted:

Adam wrote:

They did say the dungeon / field and boss / treasure structure would be different this time around, Luigi. I'm quite excited to see to what degree, as I think that's exactly what Zelda needs. Not superficial changes like replacing Epona with a boat, new art style, new controls, or to a lesser extent turning Link into a wolf which just changes how you interact with the same game.

Completly agree Adam. And I know they have said that they would shake things up but I'm not sure they would risk being radical enough to the degree that I feel it needs for me to be anything less than underwhelmed. Hope they prove me wrong though,but the series really needs to try something more modern IMO (Openworld etc).Even the controls are putting me off TBH. Yes archery and swordfighting was fun in WSR, but I'm not sure I wanna play in that style for anymore than half an hour at a time after the initial wow factor has worn off.
Saying all that though I'll probably still buy it :D. Sucker for Nintendo goodness that I am.

AuthorMessage

Adam

217. Posted:

Luigi78 wrote:

I know they have said that they would shake things up but I'm not sure they would risk being radical enough to the degree that I feel it needs for me to be anything less than underwhelmed. Hope they prove me wrong though,but the series really needs to try something more modern IMO (Openworld etc).Even the controls are putting me off TBH. Yes archery and swordfighting was fun in WSR, but I'm not sure I wanna play in that style for anymore than half an hour at a time after the initial wow factor has worn off.

I have my doubts, too, especially regarding the WSR comparison, but even Twilight Princess was not an utter waste of time, so I'll appreciate any small step they can make in the right direction. I would love to see Zelda return to a more open world. If I had to guess, it sounds like it'll be closer to Wind Waker in openness, except without the wide expanses of boring nothingness.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

OldBoy

218. Posted:

While I loved WindWaker the open world aspect was really only an illusion IMO.It was still 'Get this item to open dungeon,Get item in dungeon to solve puzzles and kill boss' rinse and repeat till the end.I'd like to be able to aquire the items outside of dungeons ,with multiple routes through the game.Also various ways in which to beat a dungeon using different items etc.The story changing depending on your actions maybe. Basically just anything different :D Hopefully we will hear more about the games structure at the Tokyo Games Show.

AuthorMessage

Adam

219. Posted:

Yea, it sounded from that quote like that's what they're going for (more key items found outside of dungeons, dungeons where you don't need a key item, etc.), but until I see it for myself, I'm too cynical to believe it, haha.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

hulklol123456789

220. Posted:

Well I will say somehting about Zelda games, hope nobody gets mad with me. I have never been a big fan of zelda games, always thinked that they look cool but never have one, my first zelda game was spirit tracks, and I find it pretty good, but I fell that in those game don't tell you like everything, there are alot of things that you need to discover by yourselve, alot of things that people like, don't imagine. I found it pretty good and with challenging puzzles, but some of these lack of information give me like a bad feeling. Spirit Tracks was the first game of zelda that I own, but not the first I played, the first was Twilight Princess, and in that game I feel like so.. alone. It was like beeing a baby and needing to discover everything by yourselve, it was like learning to walk or to speak but nobody helping you, I really don't like it at all, when I play it I was hopping for some action, and I discover myselve in a peacefull land were just falling from a tree can make you damage, it was like a bad feeling, no action, just there, discovering by yourselve with no tips what ypu need to do to go to the next step. Is like when you don't know what to do, and you just sit there with that bad feeling and start watchin TV just because you don't know what to do. And I try everything and actually can't discover wich was like the main objective of the game. Anyways these game calls me specially because the virtual-real motion, with the Wii motion + and everyhting, but these lack of information in the zelda games give me that bad feeling where I don't want another zelda game, anyways I will wait and see what happends, I got alot of Wii games on my wishlist, and of course I can't choose all of them. (wow I hope I don't write alot)

Man's worst enemy is laziness.