Wii Forum

Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Showing 1,761 to 1,780 of 1,935

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

1,761. Posted:

They only break when you suck at blocking If you use them properly they will rarely break.

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage

RogueBologna

1,762. Posted:

@pixelman After the fourth dungeon you can buy a shield that repairs itself overtime and that makes using a shield A LOT more fun.

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7445-0519

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,763. Posted:

That's what upgrades are for! Also you can use a potion to repair your shield. That said I never really had any problems with my shield usage!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech

Network ID SpoonyTech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

pixelman

1,764. Posted:

@KaiserGX How can you suck at blocking? Blocking is blocking. I know a well-timed nut block against those deku dudes will magically not damage your shield, but against anything else it'll drastically deplete your shield meter.

@RogueBologna Yup, I got that. It seems like a single block will knock out about a third of the meter though (probably depends on the strength of the attack, but the strong attacks are what you WANT to block), so it's still not very useful.

@Tech101 I know, haha. You have to go a long time without the upgrades, though, depending on how lucky you are at finding the required items, so most of the time they're pretty much useless. In my experience at least. I used to carry a shield-restoring potion around, but I find fairies more useful.

Edited on by pixelman

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: pixelpowa

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

1,765. Posted:

That goes for ALL enemies. If you just hold your shield out letting it be attacked it will take damage. You need to bash it against their attacks. Also I used a Wooden Shield for the last boss for fun. I couldn't keep up though I missed twiced.

Edited on by KaiserGX

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage

pixelman

1,766. Posted:

Ah, okay. I'll have to try that. :3

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: pixelpowa

AuthorMessage

Henmii

1,767. Posted:

About Demise: At first I found him very hard and I died several times, because during the first fase I had much trouble landing a hit and during the second fase I didn't knew I had to raise my sword upwards. But when I learned the trick during the first fase, and discovered I had to raise my sword upward during the second fase, It was a pretty easy boss. I think the Ghirahim battles where better.

By the way: Am I the only one who found it very annoying and cheap that the little movies during the credits where sooo slow? Not the Zelda videos, those where cool. But the videos that show the different areas. There you see some slowdown. Was there not a single tester who noticed that this looks cheap?

Overall I liked Phantom hourglass, Spirit tracks and maybe even the little bit dissapointing Twilight princess more then Skyward sword. Though Skyward sword was still fun to play. I probably wait some time before I attempt Hero-mode. First I have to finish a lot of other games!

Henmii

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,768. Posted:

pixelman wrote:

A lot of times it won't recognize what direction I'm swinging in (it's either the opposite direction or off by around 45 degrees). The problem is if you take your time and make a well-aimed, accurate slash, then the AI anticipates it and blocks you, and if you move fast then it becomes decalibrated quickly and you lose accuracy and get slaughtered. I've found that it's usually easiest to just flail at the baddies without Z-targetting or use your items to take them out painlessly.

Another thing that's driving me crazy is that 90% of the time I have to re-center the pointer on menus or when I'm using the slingshot and beetle. Couldn't they have used IR to do that automatically? It seems like it knows when I'm aiming forward when swimming and flying the beetle, so it's surely not impossible. idgi.

Anyway, finicky controls aside it's a fantastic game.

Waggle waggle waggle, just like in Twilight Princess! :|

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

1,769. Posted:

LordTendoboy wrote:

That's not a fair comparison. Twilight Princess's "waggle" is almost as responsive as a button press. Skyward Sword is more like swinging one of these.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

1,770. Posted:

More like swinging one of these.

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Fuzzy

1,771. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

I spent two hours today just searching for bugs and treasures for upgrades, and had a complete blast.

Haha I did the same. Just wandering around catching birds and bugs for ages, only to realise after an hour or so I hadn't progressed the story. Didn't bother me at all.

Fuzzy, Backloggery.

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

1,772. Posted:

@pixelman HAHA you have changed your tune.
note, i didn't actually read anything you wrote except "something negative about motion controls

Edited on by Odnetnin

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

Unca_Lz

1,773. Posted:

LordTendoboy wrote:

pixelman wrote:

A lot of times it won't recognize what direction I'm swinging in (it's either the opposite direction or off by around 45 degrees). The problem is if you take your time and make a well-aimed, accurate slash, then the AI anticipates it and blocks you, and if you move fast then it becomes decalibrated quickly and you lose accuracy and get slaughtered. I've found that it's usually easiest to just flail at the baddies without Z-targetting or use your items to take them out painlessly.

Another thing that's driving me crazy is that 90% of the time I have to re-center the pointer on menus or when I'm using the slingshot and beetle. Couldn't they have used IR to do that automatically? It seems like it knows when I'm aiming forward when swimming and flying the beetle, so it's surely not impossible. idgi.

Anyway, finicky controls aside it's a fantastic game.

Except better ;)

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery
LordJumpMad is emperor. U mad?

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,774. Posted:

lz20XX wrote:

LordTendoboy wrote:

Except better ;)

Only slightly. I found that Wii Sports Resort had more accurate motion controls. In Skyward Sword, I can defeat most enemies with the power of waggle.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,775. Posted:

pixelman wrote:

A lot of times it won't recognize what direction I'm swinging in (it's either the opposite direction or off by around 45 degrees). The problem is if you take your time and make a well-aimed, accurate slash, then the AI anticipates it and blocks you, and if you move fast then it becomes decalibrated quickly and you lose accuracy and get slaughtered.

yep. wii sports resort had real 1:1 swordplay, so the strength of your movements determined how hard you swung. in this game there's nothing "analog" about it, your swings are always the same pre-rendered animations you've had in past games. the motion+ just figures out what direction you swung in and triggers the correct slash animation, "left", "diagonal left", etc, with no difference in strength or force according how hard you swing. it's not too far from twilight princess' waggle, just with directionality added.

that'd be fine if they took the red steel 2 route and made the sensitivity low so that you had to swing hard for a strike to register, that way there'd be a clear distinction between little positioning movements/windbacks and full on swings.

the high sensitivity they chose instead really limits the range of motions you can perform without registering an accidental swing, and it doesn't help that most bosses only give you a split second to react and cut the right direction. they pretty much force you to move fast and wide with a control scheme that isn't designed to move fast or wide.

it does work much better once you get used to it, though. i'm finishing up my second run in hero mode and i've had way fewer problems this time around now that i know how the controls work. you just have to make little flicking movements with your wrists and avoid moving the sword otherwise as much as you can; just swing the direction you're supposed to without bothering to move link's sword into a logical position on screen first. it sucks that the swordplay doesn't feel as real as red steel 2 or WSR with such little movements and glitchy limitations, but at least it works once you get the hang of it.

the one thing i still can't work right is the bamboo chopping minigame, the calibration is always miles off by the time the game is finished. why on earth would you make players swing wildly while using a control system that easily loses calibration during wild swings... grumble grumble...

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

Jamouse

1,776. Posted:

Just finished the third dungeon. After a dodgy second boss battle, i wasn't expecting much.
I was wrong
The third boss battle has to be one of the best in Zelda History! I wont spoil it for anyone who hasn't played it yet, but trust me you won't be disappointed ;)

Jamouse

AuthorMessage

JGMR

1,777. Posted:

Talking about the third boss...you can skip the second phase of the fight by driving it to the wall and stabbing it fast and repeatedly in it's final weakspot...

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

AuthorMessage

Jamouse

1,778. Posted:

Wizzrobe wrote:

Talking about the third boss...you can skip the second phase of the fight by driving it to the wall and stabbing it fast and repeatedly in it's final weakspot...

The second part was so fun though :D

Jamouse

AuthorMessage

JGMR

1,779. Posted:

I agree :p

With kind regards,

JGMR

AuthorMessage

Terave

1,780. Posted:

I'm just doing all the remaing sidequests... SPOILERS I need to find 13 more gratitude Cyrstals, but I've no idea where to get them anymore..SPOILERSEND

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496