Wii Forum

Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Showing 1,621 to 1,640 of 1,934

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,621. Posted:

I've realized that I probably don't have enough good reasons to justify enjoying this game less than any other Zelda ever. Sure, the early parts of the game aren't great but I can say that about many JRPGs. Sure the length of the game means more mediocre parts and annoying "oh we're traveling and doing nothing else of value for the 1000th time" moments (although the reusing of areas was brilliant and helped), but it's nowhere near as bad as open world games that I love. First time in Faron Woods, still sucks though.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage

SamuraiShyGuy

1,622. Posted:

@Kid_A,

I didn't think it was worth reviving the Coldplay thread to say this, but I just realized that if you take the lyrics of Up with the Birds in a literal sense (especially the second half), it describes Link's journey in Skyward Sword very accurately. If I knew anything about video editing I would make a Skyward Sword montage while Up with the Birds played.

3DS: 0173-1626-4750
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Check out my Colors!3D gallery!

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,623. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

going to the final boss with only 3 hearts left and a fairy wasn't the best idea

Going to the final boss with 3 hearts, no shield and no health refills whatsoever is an even worse idea. But you feel pretty dang awesome if you pull it off ;)

I did that. I did. That's how I beat the boss. I was talking about me.

I did that too, but I had a Guardian Potion+.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,624. Posted:

Been playing for hours finishing sidequests. Somehow relaxing.

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage

Rensch

1,625. Posted:

Picked it up today. Can't say wether or not this is the Ocarina of Time beater yet.

Some of the motion controls work great, while others seem weird. I do not really get why you need to swing both the Nunchuck and the Wii Remote to the left to do the finishing blow attack. In all honesty, I can't imagine anybody finding this to work better than simply pressing A like in Twilight Princess. I still need to get used to finding all the equipment menus, too.

The sword combat in general is a lot of fun, though. You need to carefully observe your opponents actions before you can hit them. The days when you could simply mash a button of waggle your Wii Remote and kill 80% of the enemies with just that strategy are now over. It's all a lot more engaging. It just feels so epic to see Link mimic your every move on-screen. Especially the moment when you hold up the controller to call the power of the sky makes me feel like I am Link. Skyward Sword conveys an epic feeling here that Twilight Princess, with it's simple wrist movements, just couldn't. Would have liked if if Link could perform his attacks while running, though.

I'm not sure if I like the graphics. The characters look fantastic and the pointilistic blur effect is an interesting touch I really like. It works really well with the rich variety in colour I missed so much in Twilight Princess. From a technical standpoint, though, I am not really impressed after having played the visual blast that was Super Mario Galaxy. The art direction is kind of a compromise between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. The result is that it's sometimes cartoony and sometimes not. I find it too inconsistent for a Zelda game to really work. A game like Wind Waker was unique in its art style and really made everything and everyone look like a Disney cartoon while being consistent at it. Skyward Sword, however, tries to much to appeal to fans of both the cartoony and the realistic style, instead of being really unique outside of the painting effect. Overall, one of the better-looking Wii games, nonetheless.

I like the more fragmented Metroid-esque world. It feels more compact than Twilight Princess, but it doesn't feel like Nintendo had to compromise anything when it comes to the open-ended feeling of that game. On the contrary: There seems to be a lot to do and see right from the start of the game. Dowsing and an excellent map system make finding your way easy while puzzles are more prominent on the overworld, making it more fun to explore it. Too bad you cannot fly your bird over the overworld, though. That could have been a match for Epona or the boat in Wind Waker. You are restricted to only the sky area.

I've played through the first temple now and while the temple itself was not the most impressive one I've seen so far, the boss and dungeon item were really cool. The Beetle is one of the best Zelda items ever, not just for being a remote-controlled insect full of win, but also because of they way MotionPlus handles its controls. A pure joy!

So far it seems to be a game full of cool new ideas. Being built completely for Wii, it seems to do the same for the 3D Zelda games as Phantom Hourglass did for the classic top-down versions: It makes use of the new possibilities of the hardware it's on to make an aging formula feel fresh again. This appears to be the game that we all wanted to see in 2006, but never came until now!

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

AuthorMessage

grumblebuzzz

1,626. Posted:

Got the game for Christmas today and...

Here's my so-far opinion of the new Zelda: Story is nice and engrossing, but the game starts out a little too slow for my taste. Five hours in and just now coming into the first dungeon. Also not in love with the wiggle-waggle controls even a little bit. They're definitely better than Twilight Princess' on the Wii, but only marginally. I miss buttons, having a less hurty wrist and being able to pull off moves 100% of the time instead of around 80. There are things I do like about it a lot but those are my gripes.

Things I like: The hub world, Skyloft. Lots to do there and on the other islands above the clouds as well. Makes for a nice escape from the main quest when you're feeling like doing something else for a while. The references to past games are sly and very appreciated also. The upgrade system for items is a slick and welcome addition to the Zelda formula too and the music thus far has been phenomenal. All in all, so far it's a good game that would be great if it controlled a little better for me.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

AuthorMessage

JGMR

1,627. Posted:

Haha, Playing Twilight Princess after Skyward Sword is really a set-back in terms of graphical quality. I love Twilight Princess for it's dark atmosphere and incredible vastness, but Skyward Sword really perfected the 3D Zelda on other terrains.

With kind regards,

JGMR

AuthorMessage

Nintendo6400

1,628. Posted:

I just beat Zelda and it is the best game EVER!!

SPOILER ALERT! unless you beat.

I beat the 1st part of the game. I am anxious to see how Hero mode plays out!

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

1,629. Posted:

Well yeah so far I have to say I am disappointed in this Zelda. Granted I havent made it far. I just made it through the ceremonial and I have to jump off of some stupid statue and use a parachute to land in the middle of a target, which I have been at for the last hour. But with this and the bird flying it is way to gimmicky. Whatever happen to a good Zelda game where you go into dungeons not sit here and do base jumping. If I wanted to do base jumping I would be playing Call of Duty or some military game.

What a let down.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

Blaze

1,630. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Well yeah so far I have to say I am disappointed in this Zelda. Granted I havent made it far. I just made it through the ceremonial and I have to jump off of some stupid statue and use a parachute to land in the middle of a target, which I have been at for the last hour. But with this and the bird flying it is way to gimmicky. Whatever happen to a good Zelda game where you go into dungeons not sit here and do base jumping. If I wanted to do base jumping I would be playing Call of Duty or some military game.

What a let down.

I have to say that I thought Skyward was a let down... until you get out of Skyloft. I think I have a couple of hours left in the game and I don't want it to end! Maybe I will have a try at Hero mode when it's over, even though I never usually play through any game twice.

The Blazeloggery~
Mah Animelist~

3DS Friend Code: 4914-4746-2130 | Nintendo Network ID: MiracleBlaze

AuthorMessage

Noire

1,631. Posted:

Whatever happened to giving a game enough time before you start hating on it profusely? You haven't even gone through a dungeon yet, dude.

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

1,632. Posted:

PhoenixCake wrote:

Whatever happened to giving a game enough time before you start hating on it profusely? You haven't even gone through a dungeon yet, dude.

They shouldnt make a part that stumps people for an hour before getting to a first dungeon. Seriously I have been at this parachute thing for an hour now and just cant figure it out.

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,633. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

They shouldnt make a part that stumps people for an hour before getting to a first dungeon. Seriously I have been at this parachute thing for an hour now and just cant figure it out.

that's...just sad

AuthorMessage

NX01Trekkie1992

1,634. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

PhoenixCake wrote:

hold the wii remote flat and tilt it to steer, I never had difficulty myself, took me all of two tries, just tilt to steer and you should be fine

NX01Trekkie1992

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,635. Posted:

Yeah two tries for me as well. The bird thing had me for a while but once you figure out to swing the Wii remote up to go higher is was a breeze!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

1,636. Posted:

The bird part was fine took me about 20 mins to figure it out but this parachute thing. Well taking a break now I think part of the problem is I am getting to frustrated with it so I will try again later.

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,637. Posted:

@Tasuki Like it was said above. Hold the Wii remote level. Till it forward to go forward. The further you tilt if the faster your decent! The top of the remote is your head the bottom is your feet. Just remember that.

PS: Do you mind exchanging 3ds friend codes. You're one of the few long time members I would like to add?!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

pixelman

1,638. Posted:

This game is awesome. Slow-paced so far, but awesome.

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

1,639. Posted:

Tech101 wrote:

@Tasuki Like it was said above. Hold the Wii remote level. Till it forward to go forward. The further you tilt if the faster your decent! The top of the remote is your head the bottom is your feet. Just remember that.

PS: Do you mind exchanging 3ds friend codes. You're one of the few long time members I would like to add?!

Ok thanks for the advice guys. I think part of my part was that I was getting frustrated, plus this is the first game I have played with the Wii Motion Plus so I am still getting use to it.

@Tech 101: Do you have a backloggery? I can PM you with my FC there I just dont like to post in where everyone under the sun can get it. Just to let you know though I dont any 3DS games atm (My friend is borrowing Star Fox 3D) but I will be picking up Mario Kart 7 here in the next few days. Right now I am on my 3DS picking up a new TV as soon as I get home I will PM you on Backlog with it.

Next time I will be playing Skyward Sword on a new HDTV B-)

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,640. Posted:

grumblebuzzz wrote:

Five hours in and just now coming into the first dungeon.

MiracleBlaze wrote:

I have to say that I thought Skyward was a let down... until you get out of Skyloft.

pixelman wrote:

This game is awesome. Slow-paced so far, but awesome.

It only takes an hour to get through Skyloft and down to Faron Woods. It's interesting that you guys would say it's slow at first. Later in the game, the story dries up and nothing eventful happens between dungeons for a long time. That's the slow part.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.