Cia

162. Posted:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=18231

This sounds promising.

Cia

AuthorMessage

romulux

163. Posted:

kind of a cool thread that has visual comparisons of different zeldas below. you can really see where skyward sword fits in when you see it next to twilight princess on one side and windwaker on the other, almost like those diagrams showing the stages of evolution from ape to man:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22072963&postc...

twilight princess simultaneously looks amazing and terrible; the detail, depth and darkness of it still look great but the rough and jaggedy nature of it looks pretty ugly compared to the utterly smooth visuals in skyward sword. windwaker also winds up looking a little too plain for my tastes compared to the new game... the more i see of it, the more i think skyward sword will top both of them, especially considering that they've got half a year to spend on refining the visuals.

if you're too lazy to go to the thread, here are some shots-
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4818/tpsscomp.png
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9048/tpsswwcomp.png

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

turtlelink

164. Posted:

I'm guessing this is the hype thread so you should all read this
http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1106230p1.html

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage

Adam

165. Posted:

I saw that. I hope the release dates aren't too far apart by region. Early 2011 is about what I expected. It'll be interesting to see how they top Skyward Sword for holiday that year, but I think I'll wait till after this holiday to start speculating on next.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

NotEnoughGolds

166. Posted:

Oh, I figured out why the visuals in SS bother me so much.
Link looks plastic... like a figurine.
He doesn't look human, he doesn't look like a cartoon... his textures scream plastic imo.

NotEnoughGolds

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

167. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

I really can't imagine how they could make a left handed option. Unless you want to hold the nunchuck in your right hand...which would be a bit odd

As a lefty I can't imagine holding a Wii remote in my right hand, so...

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

Toonlink97

168. Posted:

Most people don't seem excited about this one as much. I am, but to a lesser extent to what I thought I'd be.

I love the art style, and looks to be a step up from TP's muddy brown, gross texture art style. However, it looks a bit.... solid. The Wind Waker had fluidity but this title seems to be a bit too..... Er... Slow. I blame this mostly on reusing Link's model from TP, where the animations are kind of slow (and now outdated). That brings us to another problem I have: Why are they reusing Link's model from a game that came out in 2006? Why not just create a new one? It's kinda cheap what they did with that.

I love everything else though. As long as it has a whimsical story and soundtrack while staying away from the overly dramatic Twilight Princess, it'll be VERY good.

Games I'm Looking Foward To Most -

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Okamiden
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Kid Icarus Uprising

AuthorMessage

Aviator

169. Posted:

@Toonlink97 It takes many months to program the model, its the same deal with Ocarina and MM. Would you like SS 6 months later?

[strong]When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.[/strong]
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

Toonlink97

170. Posted:

This game has supposedly been in development for a while. They could've made a new model to begin with.

It's not like the game isn't going to be delayed a lot of times anyway.

Okamiden
Kid Icarus Uprising

AuthorMessage

NotEnoughGolds

171. Posted:

Odnetnin wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

I really can't imagine how they could make a left handed option. Unless you want to hold the nunchuck in your right hand...which would be a bit odd

As a lefty I can't imagine holding a Wii remote in my right hand, so...

Erm... so for all Nunchuk+Wiimote games, you manipulate the Analog stick with your right hand?
Which is the opposite of how you've played games your entire life?
That seems a bit odd, to me.

NotEnoughGolds

AuthorMessage

Adam

172. Posted:

How is that more odd than waving around and pointing a Wii remote with fine precision in your secondary hand? Makes perfect sense to me. Either way, you have to undo something you've learned, and it would be far more natural to take advantage of the ambidextrous nature of the Wii remote and hold it like most people: remote in primary hand, nunchuk in secondary. Motion controls are far more awkward with your off hand than analog stick use.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Cia

173. Posted:

Toonlink97 wrote:

Most people don't seem excited about this one as much. I am, but to a lesser extent to what I thought I'd be.

I love the art style, and looks to be a step up from TP's muddy brown, gross texture art style. However, it looks a bit.... solid. The Wind Waker had fluidity but this title seems to be a bit too..... Er... Slow. I blame this mostly on reusing Link's model from TP, where the animations are kind of slow (and now outdated). That brings us to another problem I have: Why are they reusing Link's model from a game that came out in 2006? Why not just create a new one? It's kinda cheap what they did with that.

I love everything else though. As long as it has a whimsical story and soundtrack while staying away from the overly dramatic Twilight Princess, it'll be VERY good.

About reusing Link's model... they have done it before with Toon Link many times, so it's not anything new.

Cia

AuthorMessage

Toonlink97

174. Posted:

I know, but it was done in various forms, and on different consoles. The ones that happened to use Toon Link's model really weren't part of the (current) main line of Zeldas.

Okamiden
Kid Icarus Uprising

AuthorMessage

Mandoble

175. Posted:

TP looks way way better for my taste. Zelda story is dramatic, ZTP ambience has that bit of dramatism too. This is gone with the new one, now it looks certainly like pastic and with "pastel-like" softened colours and little or not contrasts, and then, in the middle, bright coloured enemies that doesnt fit any well with the surroundings. For me the new one looks terrible.

Mandoble

AuthorMessage

romulux

176. Posted:

surprise surprise, mandoble hates another game? :P if anything i'd say link looks more like clay than plastic. one really nice thing about the visuals is that the art style avoids the problems the other games had and cleverly covers up the glitches you normally can't avoid seeing; look closely at everything and it's easy to marvel at the lack of technical 'seams' you're used to seeing in games.

for instance, windwaker was beautiful but very plain with no real textures to speak of while twilight princess was very detailed but with very low quality textures. this game has a lot to see within the cell shading but none of it really looks like a regular texture thanks to the paintbrush effect, which makes grass, dirt, and leaves all look like part of a very pleasant painting from close up or far away alike.

windwaker had a problem with everything in the distance blurring, which this game also turns into a pleasing effect by (in addition to dramatically increasing the draw distance) softening the colors from far away, also to look like a far off landscape in a painting. i think the way they've managed to cover up most visual limitations the other zeldas suffered from and turn them into an asset with the new impressionist style is very cool.

the most important thing to keep in mind if you don't like the way it looks is that they're devoting practically the rest of this year just to making it look even better; the majority of the game itself is already done. metroid other m already looks much better than it did at it's announcement, so even though i think skyward sword looks great now, maybe it'll improve just as much in a few months. the demo at E3 was something aonuma didn't even want to show since he didn't think it was developed enough yet, so don't judge it too harshly just yet.

some sweet 1 to 1 action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XQV7rybPMc

this is a direct(ish?) feed of poor miyamoto's demo. it actually looks pretty cool close up; check out the spiders and the multi-layered clouds in the sky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMA2Fi4VZ5Y&feature=related

Edited on by romulux

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

177. Posted:

@NEG A) Adam is right, surprisingly.
B) I never noticed the change in hand controlling joystick; but it's really hard to point accurately, etc. with your secondary hand.
C) The Wii Sports games seem to think it's natural as that's how they work.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

Adam

178. Posted:

S-- surprisingly?

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

NotEnoughGolds

179. Posted:

I imagine that the number of lefties that use nunchuk in their right hand are the same number of lefties that choose a Southpaw configuration for dual-analog shooters?

I know a lefty that doesn't really like either configuration. He doesn't like using his right hand on the nunchuk, and he doesn't like using it to aim either. It might be better to just have the pointer on the nunchuk (but maybe that's too many tasks for the same hand?) for him.

NotEnoughGolds

AuthorMessage

romulux

180. Posted:

hey, there is a timeline after all

“Yes there is a master timeline but its confidential document!” explains Aunuma-san. “The only people to have access to that document are myself, Mr. Miyamoto and the director of the title. We cant share it with anyone else! I have already talked to Mr. Miyamoto about this so I am comfortable in releasing this information – this title [Skyward Sword] takes place before Ocarina of Time. if I said that a certain title was ‘the first Zelda game’, then that means that we cant ever make a title that takes place before that! So for us to add titles to the series, we have to have a way of putting the titles before or after each other.” aonuma

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2010/07/skyward-sword-before-ocar...