Wii Forum

Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Showing 1,561 to 1,580 of 1,934

AuthorMessage

citizenerased

1,561. Posted:

The only thing I'd change about Skyward Sword is its dungeon themes, which are way too conservative. Dungeon #4 is perfection. And a combination of past and future (dungeon 3) is pretty cool, but repeated too often. But 2 fire dungeons? And as cool as the rubix cube dungeon is, it's just a repeat of all the previous ones.

Playing: 999, Xenoblade Chronicles and Super Mario World
Finished: Pikmin, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Paper Mario and Uncharted 2

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,562. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

I hate how similar the game feels to TP. It feels like more an expansion pack rather than a full sequel. Kind of like how I felt about Majora's Mask after playing Ocarina of Time.

This.....can't be a real post. Majora's Mask, other than the visuals, really could not have been more different than Ocarina of Time. And Skyward Sword...alright, where do I start?
Skyward Sword is bright and colorful where Twilight Princess was dark and sinister. Skyward Sword's Hyrule is a dungeon-like maze where Twilight Princess' Hyrule was wide and spacious. Twilight Princess' combat was innocuous and borderline skill-less, whereas Skyward Sword's is intensely physical and timing based.

What are you seeing in Skyward Sword that's merely an expansion pack?

Agreed 100% If anything the only comparison can be made between twilight princess and oot!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech

Network ID SpoonyTech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,563. Posted:

tealovertoma wrote:

Dungeon #4 is perfection. And a combination of past and future (dungeon 3) is pretty cool, but repeated too often. But 2 fire dungeons? And as cool as the rubix cube dungeon is, it's just a repeat of all the previous ones.

I can agree with all that. I loved that last dungeon though. It was both fun and interesting.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,564. Posted:

tealovertoma wrote:

The only thing I'd change about Skyward Sword is its dungeon themes, which are way too conservative. Dungeon #4 is perfection. And a combination of past and future (dungeon 3) is pretty cool, but repeated too often. But 2 fire dungeons? And as cool as the rubix cube dungeon is, it's just a repeat of all the previous ones.

Was kinda hoping to fight a giant fire based boss in the other fire dungeon, lol. Other than that I was fine with the dungeons...I mean the final dungeon was interesting.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

1,565. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

Skyward Sword is bright and colorful where Twilight Princess was dark and sinister. Skyward Sword's Hyrule is a dungeon-like maze where Twilight Princess' Hyrule was wide and spacious. Twilight Princess' combat was innocuous and borderline skill-less, whereas Skyward Sword's is intensely physical and timing based.

How is Twilight Princess sinister? And how is the surface labyrinth-like? TP's combat is identical to the three games before it, and while I agree that it isn't challenging or skill-based, neither is SS's.

But yeah, the two games aren't alike at all.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,566. Posted:

Meta-Rift wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

How is Twilight Princess sinister? And how is the surface labyrinth-like? TP's combat is identical to the three games before it, and while I agree that it isn't challenging or skill-based, neither is SS's.

But yeah, the two games aren't alike at all.

1. Bro, have you seen Zant? And Midna? And Gannon's entire backstory? TP is dark. I didn't mean it was like, mean. Just that it's themes were really, really morose. While Skyward Sword is pretty dang whimsical most of the time, save for Ghirahim and the final boss fight.

2. Labyrinth-like in design, not in mood. If you've played Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess, you know that Hyrule is just an enormous field that connects little towns and dungeons. In Skyward Sword, Hyrule is a basically a dungeon (or a labyrinth) where just getting where you need to go can take hours of overcoming obstacles, puzzles, enemies, bosses, etc. I think we can admit that TP's Hyrule and SS's Hyrule are entirely different beasts.

3. I would actually argue that Twilight Princess' combat is quite different than Wind Waker's. The controls are largely the same, but the enemy AI in Wind Waker is a lot trickier, and a lot more brutal. Enemies really want to kill you in WW, and they'll even start fighting each other just to get to you. It also had a simple-but-effective parry system that TP lacked, that required you to time your hits, where in TP button mashing would usually do the trick.

And Skyward Sword's combat wasn't strategic? So you just beat Lizafolds and Electro-Moblins by wildly waving your arms? I don't think so ;)

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,567. Posted:

Yeah was about to say...some of the enemies in Skyward Sword kicked my butt multiple times. Perfect example being Stalmaster. :p

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,568. Posted:

Eureka wrote:

Yeah was about to say...some of the enemies in Skyward Sword kicked my butt multiple times. Perfect example being Stalmaster. :p

Good call. Stalmaster is a d-bag. I'm playing the game now on Hero Mode and I feel like I'm going back to the potion shop at least once an hour now because of enemies like this.

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,569. Posted:

I couldn't beat Ghirahim or Stalmaster with flailing. Also, I'd still be fighting that final boss if I hadn't mixed up an expensive invincibility potion.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

1,570. Posted:

I'm serious, "sinister" is definitely not how I would describe Twilight Princess. Some of the game's areas, even the dark ones, are more sublimely beautiful than anything in Skyward Sword.

Kid_A wrote:

I think we can admit that TP's Hyrule and SS's Hyrule are entirely different beasts.

Yes, because TP's is huge and full of hidden stuff, and SS's is divided into small, isolated, linear sections.

Kid_A wrote:

And Skyward Sword's combat wasn't strategic? So you just beat Lizafolds and Electro-Moblins by wildly waving your arms? I don't think so ;)

I did that when I saw an opening, and defended when necessary. It's not that hard.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

Kuuko

1,571. Posted:

Um, most of the enemies in the game are easy to beat if you know how to counter with shield bashing. Stalmaster was super easy, if I knew he was ready to unleash an attack I would wait closeby and shield bashed his blades to leave him completely vulnerable. Shield bashing works great on Deku Babas (cut them at the stem with one slash), Lizalfos, and Bokoblins.

Capcom-Unity: BAKA

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,572. Posted:

You can stun most enemies with a shield bash and then flail on them (isn't that still more involved than TP?), but shield bashing doesn't work on everything.
@Astraea Stalmaster nearly destroyed my shield.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,573. Posted:

Shield bashing doesn't work for me all the time...so I dunno what you guys are talking about. Tried it against Stalmaster, that stupid robo pirate...>.>

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,574. Posted:

Meta-Rift wrote:

I'm serious, "sinister" is definitely not how I would describe Twilight Princess. Some of the game's areas, even the dark ones, are more sublimely beautiful than anything in Skyward Sword.

Sorry, I didn't really make myself clear. I was talking about sinister from a thematic standpoint. I'm playing through TP now, and I agree it's an absolutely gorgeous game.

As for your comment on attacking when you saw an opening and defending when you needed to...you realize you just described every combat system in any game ever, right? :p SS's is different because it actually necessitates deliberate physical gestures and near 1:1 swordplay. It's not that the combat is "hard," as you say; just that it feels different.

AuthorMessage

Link79

1,575. Posted:

I think Majora's mask is more sinister than Twilight Princess.
Especially with that big scary moon.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,576. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

I think Majora's mask is more sinister than Twilight Princess.
Especially with that big scary moon.

It's more sinister, period. lol

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

1,577. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

As for your comment on attacking when you saw an opening and defending when you needed to...you realize you just described every combat system in any game ever, right? :p SS's is different because it actually necessitates deliberate physical gestures and near 1:1 swordplay. It's not that the combat is "hard," as you say; just that it feels different.

Well, yeah, that's kind of what I was saying before. You swing the remote instead of pressing a button, so it's definitely more physically involved, but you can mostly follow the same strategy as the other games.

I have nothing against Skyward Sword's combat (though the controls feel very loose to me), I just don't think it's much better.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

SamuraiShyGuy

1,578. Posted:

I'm almost finished with the game. What I can say is this game has the best combat and best bosses of any Zelda game. It also has the best character development/relationships of any Zelda game, though some may argue that point. The dungeons, while good, don't have any mind-blowing puzzles or hitches that make them stand out in the series. There's also not as much to explore. It's a more concentrated Zelda game, if you will.

I'm still not sure where I rank this among Zelda games. I have to finish it first for one thing. I have gotten a better appreciation for Twilight Princess after playing this game, for some reason. I loved that game when I played it, but kind of let others persuade me over the years that TP wasn't that great of a Zelda game. Looking back, it was amazing. I'd replay it if it wasn't so long and I didn't have so many other games to play.

3DS: 0173-1626-4750
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Check out my Colors!3D gallery!

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,579. Posted:

SamuraiShyGuy wrote:

I'm almost finished with the game. What I can say is this game has the best combat and best bosses of any Zelda game. It also has the best character development/relationships of any Zelda game, though some may argue that point. The dungeons, while good, don't have any mind-blowing puzzles or hitches that make them stand out in the series. There's also not as much to explore. It's a more concentrated Zelda game, if you will.

I'm still not sure where I rank this among Zelda games.

That sounds about right. It had way too much hand holding for me but I still had fun playing through Skyward Sword. ALttP and OoT seem like the only games that deserve to be ranked above it.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

1,580. Posted:

SamuraiShyGuy wrote:

I'm still not sure where I rank this among Zelda games. I have to finish it first for one thing. I have gotten a better appreciation for Twilight Princess after playing this game, for some reason. I loved that game when I played it, but kind of let others persuade me over the years that TP wasn't that great of a Zelda game. Looking back, it was amazing. I'd replay it if it wasn't so long and I didn't have so many other games to play.

Is Skyward Sword as long as Twilight Princess, or shorter? Or are they both about the same length?

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984