Forums

Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Posts 1,361 to 1,380 of 1,905

grenworthshero

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Spoilers...I guess:

This game is lacking in story. I mean, the 3d Zelda games have done a great job in the past of having some amazing halfway point twists and not much more story was needed after because they were so well done. So I'm really dissappointed that after a completely awesome battle it seemed like the plot was gonna become cool and interesting and awesome but no the old woman just tells you "this is the part of the game where you go to new dungeons to find things to unlock the final area/s of the game" and little else. More often than not I'm fine with minimum plot but this is really the wrong way to go with it, especially since there's plenty in this game that's hinted at being interesting story but they aren't doing anything with. I mean, can't I at least Metroid Prime scan something to find out a story? Can I at least have that option?

Maybe the plot will get better soon but now it just...exists, which is really dissappointing. Especially considering how awesome the gameplay is, which makes the story just look lazy by comparison.

I feel exactly the same way. I hear it does get better, though, according to my friend, who's played about 15 hours past that point. I sure hope he's right.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Kagamine

Kid_A wrote:

"Oral tradition: one of the least reliable methods of information retention and transmission"
-Fi

I think that's probably trying to tell us that we may never know the "true" origins of some of the legends of Hyrule.

ding ding ding! we have a winner! (exactly what i thought when she said that)

3DS friend code: 1332-7705-6324Previous Usernames: Bossmank
Some_Chords

"Love your ego, you won't feel a thing, always number one, the pen with a bent wrist crooked king, sign away our peace, for your war, one word and it's over." ~ Deadmau5

Nintendo Network ID: bossmank

kkslider5552000

Chrono Trigger had a similar incredibly slow increase in quality so I can believe that. I mean, even though it got better a couple of times before that at least, I didn't buy into the Chrono Trigger hype completely until the side quests opened up.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Meta-Rift

tendoboy1984 wrote:

I thought the Goddess Hylia created Hyrule? Where does she fit in? Cause she was first introduced in Skyward Sword, and she was never mentioned in any other game.

Nope. Din, Farore, and Nayru created the world and the Triforce, then left. Hylia existed after that, not before.

@kkslider5552000: A lot later there's a scene that explains a lot. It might not be what you're hoping for, but I thought it was really interesting.

Meta-Rift

LordTendoboy

Meta-Rift wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

I thought the Goddess Hylia created Hyrule? Where does she fit in? Cause she was first introduced in Skyward Sword, and she was never mentioned in any other game.

Nope. Din, Farore, and Nayru created the world and the Triforce, then left. Hylia existed after that, not before.

@kkslider5552000: A lot later there's a scene that explains a lot. It might not be what you're hoping for, but I thought it was really interesting.

So do the other Zelda games mention the goddess Hylia? Because as I recall, Hylia created the people of Skyloft, who eventually became the Hylian people of Hyrule. So was this character created just for Skyward Sword? Or do the other Zelda games mention her?

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

NX01Trekkie1992

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Meta-Rift wrote:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

So do the other Zelda games mention the goddess Hylia? Because as I recall, Hylia created the people of Skyloft, who eventually became the Hylian people of Hyrule. So was this character created just for Skyward Sword? Or do the other Zelda games mention her?

I could swear I've had this conversation with you before (this must be what a Waltz moment feels like!!!), anyway, Hylia was never said to have created the Hylians/humans, only that she protected them and sent them up to the sky with Skyloft and served as their protector, and if you play the game, by the end it becomes fairly clear why she's never mentioned later on in the timelines

NX01Trekkie1992

Terave

Sheesh, I've done SPOILER the first trial already, but it doesn't feel very Zelda-ish. And sometimes the story lacks too. SPOILERSEND

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

Kid_A

The name Hylia is mentioned in just about every Zelda game. Now we know why.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

ocarinaoftime

Skyward sword has tought me one thIng.... I hate Pumkins and that pluge or how ever u spellsnhis name that throws them...sometimes i like take a pumpkin slam on his head and shoot 600 points out of him....but thankfully i got 610 finally and the peace of heart...i hope no one eles had to trouble like i did... Though he does give 50 ruppes and prizes so its not as bad as i made it sound.....

ocarinaoftime

romulux

bro2dragons wrote:

Am I the only one with complaints about the sluggish pointer controls? Minor annoyance, yes, but it doesn't make sense. The standard Wii menu responsiveness is PERFECT. I don't know why they would have made the cursor feel so heavy in menus for this game.

that's because the game doesn't use the IR camera for pointer controls. it only uses the accelerometer and gyroscope, just like the sony move does. it does give you a clunkier feel that's more like holding a real bow, but they could have gotten a similar feel using the IR camera with low sensitivity and then it wouldn't have ever needed to be calibrated/recalibrated. i still like the aiming controls better than twilight princess' controls, though, IR aiming doesn't feel right for a bow.

i beat the game and mostly loved it, but had some major problems with the sword. at first, i kept getting swings to register the opposite direction of what i was doing. i learned not to wind back as much before swinging and to use smaller motions and that helped, but the calibration still fails like crazy. the bamboo cutting game is the worst, there's no way to reach the end without the sword swings going totally perpendicular to what i'm doing. i have to pause and let the cursor settle back to center before moving on.

i don't know if anyone else had this problem too but i also had the remote freeze up and only perform nunchuk actions a few times in the game. once was during the scorpion boss, the other was ghirahim's last form. i'd thrust with the remote and instead of stabbing link would do a shield bash or spin attack over and over, even if the nunchuk was totally still. it made it really hard to finish those fights, in fact ghirahim killed me 3 times because of it. pretty lame way to finish off the game.

still an amazing game though, it really makes you want to run through ocarina of time again just to see how everything lines up. i just wish it had been as easy to control as red steel 2 and WSR were.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Terave

I've just got the hidden item in the fourth dungeon! It does have a little Chinese feeling for me, actually. Maybe the music sounds a bit alike? Anyway, how do you purnounce Cistern?

Edited on by Terave

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

NX01Trekkie1992

Terave wrote:

I've just got the hidden item in the fourth dungeon! It does have a little Chinese feeling for me, actually. Maybe the music sounds a bit alike? Anyway, how do you pronounce Cistern?

sister with an 'n' on the end of it

NX01Trekkie1992

Cia

romulux wrote:

bro2dragons wrote:

Am I the only one with complaints about the sluggish pointer controls? Minor annoyance, yes, but it doesn't make sense. The standard Wii menu responsiveness is PERFECT. I don't know why they would have made the cursor feel so heavy in menus for this game.

that's because the game doesn't use the IR camera for pointer controls. it only uses the accelerometer and gyroscope, just like the sony move does. it does give you a clunkier feel that's more like holding a real bow, but they could have gotten a similar feel using the IR camera with low sensitivity and then it wouldn't have ever needed to be calibrated/recalibrated. i still like the aiming controls better than twilight princess' controls, though, IR aiming doesn't feel right for a bow.

i beat the game and mostly loved it, but had some major problems with the sword. at first, i kept getting swings to register the opposite direction of what i was doing. i learned not to wind back as much before swinging and to use smaller motions and that helped, but the calibration still fails like crazy. the bamboo cutting game is the worst, there's no way to reach the end without the sword swings going totally perpendicular to what i'm doing. i have to pause and let the cursor settle back to center before moving on.

i don't know if anyone else had this problem too but i also had the remote freeze up and only perform nunchuk actions a few times in the game. once was during the scorpion boss, the other was ghirahim's last form. i'd thrust with the remote and instead of stabbing link would do a shield bash or spin attack over and over, even if the nunchuk was totally still. it made it really hard to finish those fights, in fact ghirahim killed me 3 times because of it. pretty lame way to finish off the game.

still an amazing game though, it really makes you want to run through ocarina of time again just to see how everything lines up. i just wish it had been as easy to control as red steel 2 and WSR were.

Weird. I never had any problems with the swordplay. It almost sounds that something's wrong with your remote.

Edited on by Cia

Cia

JGMR

I didn't have any problems too, regarding it's controls. In fact, it's controls are done in extremely accuracy. If there's something wrong, you're the one to blame for it.

By the way, welcome back romulux

With kind regards,

JGMR

JGMR

Haha...the bow...anybody got angry while playing that Pumpkin-throwing Bow-game...like me? ALMOST got the 600 Points...(using the Sacred Bow)

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

Meta-Rift

vonseux wrote:

romulux wrote:

that's because the game doesn't use the IR camera for pointer controls.

well, first the sensor bar is NOT a camera.

The Wii Remote uses an IR camera to detect the sensor bar.

Anyway, about the pointer controls. They felt weird for me until I realized I wasn't using them correctly. You're not supposed to point at a certain spot on the screen. You have to turn the remote in that direction. That's why the game lets you recenter the cursor.

As long as we're talking about Skyward Sword's controls,

Untitled

Meta-Rift

Kid_A

romulux wrote:

bro2dragons wrote:

It definitely sounds like there's something wrong with your game, or your Wii Motion +. I've heard a few complaints about the controls from some people, but nothing that severe.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

romulux

here's a video of what i was talking about:
[youtube:Se64CGzQOTk]

i realize that looks ridiculous, but you can see link swinging diagonal or vertical while i'm still going horizontal, then the cursor drifts for a while. i know the remote is supposed to lose some calibration when you swing wildly, but i wasn't swinging too hard or wide there, and that's pretty much how you have to swing for the bamboo cutting game.

i don't know where my motion+ dongles went so i can't test a different remote, but this remote worked fine for red steel 2 and WSR. it also works for the bow and beetle and everything else but the swordplay.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Spoony_Tech

Lets face it. Goldeneye has screwed up your Wii!

I as well have not experienced any problems.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

LordJumpMad

I finally beat SS yesterday and I wish I didn't work so hard on trying to 100% the game when I found out that theres a Game +
All that trouble getting the Hylia Shield

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.