Wii Forum

Topic: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Showing 1,161 to 1,180 of 1,934

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,161. Posted:

....How can you waggle your way through enemies? o.0
Tried doing that and mostly ending up hurting myself. >_>

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage

Platypus

1,162. Posted:

Eureka wrote:

Run up when they aren't looking and do as many quick swipes as you can.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

AuthorMessage

NX01Trekkie1992

1,163. Posted:

Project-L wrote:

Does anyone going to try to do the "No Shield" run.
I'll try that after I complete the Hero's Quest.

I'll take it you haven't fought the final boss yet, you NEED a shield to survive him, I mean, I guess it's POSSIBLE to beat him, but you'd need almost unlimited hearts to last that long

Adam wrote:

I never use my shield. Tried to a few times in the beginning but it is much faster to just waggle attack most enemies.

That should change once you hit the final boss, I had to learn how to time my blocks just right FAST in order to survive

NX01Trekkie1992

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,164. Posted:

soccer686 wrote:

Eureka wrote:

Run up when they aren't looking and do as many quick swipes as you can.

What about the Baba's, Stalfos (and Master), Skulltulas, those lava hand things, and Yellow ChuChus. :p You can't just randomly waggle against them. xD

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD

AuthorMessage

Noire

1,165. Posted:

Fi is the best and I wish I could replace every single other "helper" character with her. Even though none of them ever really help me ...

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

AuthorMessage

grenworthshero

1,166. Posted:

I'm going to re-edit this, because it was 5am when I wrote it, and I was kind of out of it...

I just got past Lanayru Mines and went back to the temple in the forest to talk to that old lady.
I think I'm probably the only person here who thinks this, but this game is actually kind of disappointing, so far. I had hoped it would pick up and get better the more I played, but it only seems to drag on. Too much puzzling, too much emphasis on motion plus, and not enough actual development of the plot or characters. I guess if you're playing Zelda solely for its creative puzzles and stuff, then this is the game for you, but I keep comparing it to Twilight Princess and it fails in almost every way. Midna drove that game along, even when there were long periods without serious plot development, her presence drove things forward.

Fi is my least favorite character in Zelda to date. She only serves to drag the story down, and pretty much sets the whole hand-holding, bland, mechanical aesthetic of the game. Everything seems so straightforward and extremely linear. I usually don't complain about that in games, but that's because linear games are usually the ones that focus more on plot, and the gameplay is just present to get you from point A to point B in the story. It seems the other way around in this game, though. "Here's a little setup, now go do something in Deep Woods. Good, you're done with that? Now rinse and repeat 5 more times."

I guess it sounds like I'm just bashing the game, but it really is a very good game. If it weren't Zelda, I would have less qualms with it, but, unfortunately, it is Zelda, and I don't like what they've done with it this time around. It's so much less about the actual game, and more about "oh, look at this cool thing we can do with motion plus". Right from the start I knew I didn't like the art style, and that sets the whole mood of the game. I really like the relationship between Zelda and the others on Skyloft, but I wish they spend much more time developing those characters, rather than just one hour in the beginning, and then they send you on your merry way to go find Kikwis and push blocks around for the next 15-20 hours. You don't really get any more development at all until that point, and even then, it's just to say "go do it again".

The puzzle aspect of the game really starts to drag on, too, because that's all there is to it. No exploration, or overworld of any sort (unless you count flying aimlessly around the sky), just constant switches to activate and bridges to cross.

Edited on by grenworthshero

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
3DS Code: 3823-8687-7682
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--Facebook--last.fm

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

AuthorMessage

Noire

1,167. Posted:

I would especially replace her with Midna because Midna was annoying and loud.

... >:3

There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

1,168. Posted:

4 hours in, and I really wish this game would stop talking to me and just let me play it. I can't seem to do anything without somebody launching into a monologue meant to explain the significance of what I just did, followed immediately by Fi appearing to launch into another monologue meant to explain the significance of the previous monologue.

Please, shut up. I would like to play your game.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,169. Posted:

Midna and Fi do have one thing in common that bugs me though....THEIR VOICES WON'T SHUT UP!!! xD
Love both of them though, can't decide who I love better, lol

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,170. Posted:

Most, not all, of the enemies I can just waggle at. It's the fastest way to deal with most enemies, I find, though not the safest. But even the enemies you name don't in any way require a shield.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

Noire

1,171. Posted:

grenworthshero wrote:

hand-holding, bland

These words describe Twilight Princess more than anything else. :/

Edited on by Noire

AuthorMessage

NX01Trekkie1992

1,172. Posted:

actually, I know I'm going to be in the minority by saying this, but I had and still have a deep appreciation for the depth and tone of TP, wasn't the BEST plot, but it certainly wasn't the worst either, the dark feel, the realism graphics, it all fit together very nicely, and MIdna was by far the better sidekick when compared to Fi, Fi, as already stated, essentially gives you the same information you just got, only in a more annoying manner

NX01Trekkie1992

AuthorMessage

grenworthshero

1,173. Posted:

I guess I can see how you can say it's bland, since it's not attacking your face with bright colors every second, like Skyward Sword (still, I disagree with you there) but you can never convince me how Twilight Princess is hand-holding, especially compared to Skyward Sword. Why?Just because it's "easy"? What 3D Zelda game isn't? The difficulty that arises from Skyward Sword comes almost solely from its controls, not from actual game difficulty. If you have any trouble AT ALL with puzzles in Skyward Sword, you can go watch videos showing you how to do the simplest of things. That's without even mentioning the amount of hand-holding Fi does. If you can even call it that. It's more like...highlighting exactly what you have to do in HUGE BOLD SHINY LETTERING.

Twilight Princess is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm not sure it's better than Windwaker, but it's just as good, at least.

Edited on by grenworthshero

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
3DS Code: 3823-8687-7682
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--Facebook--last.fm

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,174. Posted:

I liked Midna. Waggle didn't even bother me that much; it wasn't a difficult game, so missing a slash occasionally didn't hurt. I didn't like how dark the game was, though, or how long the dungeons were. The game did a lot of neat things though. Double hook shot was one of the best and most confusing moments ever. I'm sure just about everyone went from "What the heck, is my game broken, I already got this item!" to "Whoa, double hook shot!" Or at least I hope so. I would prefer not to be the only stupid one.

EDIT: Skyward Sword does hold your hand a lot early on, but the extent of handholding decreases over time, if not as fast as you might like. Fi's repeating the obvious unfortunately does not go away. However, looking up puzzle solutions on Youtube is by no means a unique phenomenon for Skyward Sword. You can look up videos of Twilight Princess or just about any other game ever. This is something occurring outside the game and has nothing to do with the design, even if it were in fact exclusive to SS. I don't see how this can possibly held against the game.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

1,175. Posted:

The difficulty only comes from the controls if you aren't used to them. There's a part that kicked my ace I needed to get some potions. This is the second time I play it.

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

1,176. Posted:

I dislike Fi as well. The amount of dialogue in this game is immense. At least when Metal Gear Solid 4 had it's fair share of dialogue it was A) Pretty to look at (I mean the cutscenes, lol), B) Great dialogue to read/listen to C) It was all foreshadowing and unfolding events you never knew before.

SS on the other hand... had a 2 hour opening which was SLOW. Twilight Princess had what? An hour long opening? I find the game very slow and easy. The controls suck too! If the game wasn't so dumbed down and the controls had an alternative, then maybe, just maybe, this would be one my favorite titles on Wii.

In the near future I'll play it again but, eh, at this point I don't know.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,177. Posted:

Oh man, I literally fell asleep during MGS4 dialog. I don't think its dialog compares at all favorably with Skyward Sword, but that is another topic entirely.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,178. Posted:

Nothing wrong with controls, and this game is far from easy.

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

1,179. Posted:

Adam wrote:

Oh man, I literally fell asleep during MGS4 dialog. I don't think its dialog compares at all favorably with Skyward Sword, but that is another topic entirely.

The first thing that came to mind and one that frequently comes up. People always say its boring as hell. I guess you have to be a fan to understand. But SS's dialogue is awful. So, so awful.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

1,180. Posted:

Inb4opinions

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX