Forums

Topic: Xenoblade is coming to U.S. as a gamestop exclusive

Posts 181 to 200 of 213

Chrono_Cross

zezzy wrote:

Hmm, I guess definitions of words aren't allowed to change through time.

That and the fact he can never accept defeat.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

retired_account

RPGs anymore mean lots of stats, leveling up with EXP points, and knocking numbers out of baddies. I's a misnomer, sure, (heck, even Mario could be called a "role-playing game" because you play the role of Mario), but that's just how it is. :3

(Zelda has a none of that btw)

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

Gamesake

pixelman wrote:

RPGs anymore mean lots of stats, leveling up with EXP points, and knocking numbers out of baddies.

Sure, but unlike previous Zelda games, Skyward Sword does have inventory management and item crafting. Those are the same two RPG elements responsible for Monster Hunter Tri's "Action RPG" label. After all this time, Zelda can finally be called an action RPG.

...in my pants.

retired_account

Gamesake wrote:

pixelman wrote:

RPGs anymore mean lots of stats, leveling up with EXP points, and knocking numbers out of baddies.

Sure, but unlike previous Zelda games, Skyward Sword does have inventory management and item crafting. Those are the same two RPG elements responsible for Monster Hunter Tri's "Action RPG" label. After all this time, Zelda can finally be called an action RPG.

Uh, no. The item crafting in Monster Hunter is tied to incredibly deep stats management. All of the items you craft affect a ton of stats and grant dozens and dozens of boosts/skills, more than you usually see in an RPG.

Even with all that I consider MH way more of an action game than an RPG, just because even with all the fancy stats you'll still get slaughtered if you're not a ninja with the controller.

I've seen the item crafting in SS, and while it's cool it's only a light RPG element — certainly not enough to define its genre. I mean, it has jumping — does that make it a platformer? Zelda has so many elements of so many different genres that it really only makes sense to call it an adventure game.

retired_account

LzWinky

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about Xenoblade as a Gamestop exclusive?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Lan

I hear rpgs are very popular in afganistan and places like that

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

CanisWolfred

Personally, I'm willing to accept JRPGs as Adventure games instead of RPGs, so long as it means I no longer have to associate them with that tabletop crap.

lz20XX wrote:

Whoopdee freaking do, that discussion died long ago, now we're onto something more interesting. No need to be such a killjoy, dude.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chrono_Cross

Mickeymac wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

Whoopdee freaking do, that discussion died long ago, now we're onto something more interesting. No need to be such a killjoy, dude.

That's ironic because your being the killjoy here.

Just for you.

CanisWolfred

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

That's ironic because your being the killjoy here.

Your point?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

I don't get the logic OP Rainfall didn't do anything some people are saying. Sure, I don't think 10,000 facebook likes exactly make a difference to Nintendo but they are the main reason anyone was paying attention to these games at all, or at the very least made Nintendo sites a lot less boring during Nintendo's laziest summer ever.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Chrono_Cross

kkslider5552000 wrote:

it's hilarious watching fanboys do a complete 180 the moment Nintendo makes a good decision beyond the status quo

I couldnt agree more. Everyone complains about how they didn't get the games... once they get them it isn't good enough. I wonder if the human race will ever be content.

Just for you.

kkslider5552000

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

it's hilarious watching fanboys do a complete 180 the moment Nintendo makes a good decision beyond the status quo

I couldnt agree more. Everyone complains about how they didn't get the games... once they get them it isn't good enough. I wonder if the human race will ever be content.

that had little to do with what I was talking about and I realized quickly what I was talking about makes no sense anyway so I decided to say something moderately intelligent instead.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Chrono_Cross

Well my point still stands as I find it funny to watch people still nag about it all. Especially on other sites.

Just for you.

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I don't get the logic OP Rainfall didn't do anything some people are saying. Sure, I don't think 10,000 facebook likes exactly make a difference to Nintendo but they are the main reason anyone was paying attention to these games at all, or at the very least made Nintendo sites a lot less boring during Nintendo's laziest summer ever.

I dunno, I think everyone here gets that. Honestly, I think the people here may be bigger on it because of the excessive praise it's been getting. I know on every forum I visit, people are always going on about how great Xenoblade is. Sure, it was Operation Rainfall that got it attention in the first place, but it seems as if its actual quality is what's keeping it in the public's eye this time around, as farfetched as that may sound.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

well yeah, that helps, but the quality of every other 3rd party Wii game didn't exactly keep that in the public's eye.

JGMR

pixelman wrote:

RPGs anymore mean lots of stats, leveling up with EXP points, and knocking numbers out of baddies. I's a misnomer, sure, (heck, even Mario could be called a "role-playing game" because you play the role of Mario), but that's just how it is. :3

Zelda II has that's an RPG. Most likely inspired by the early Falcom RPG Dragon Slayer. Like I already said early on in this thread, Skyward Sword borrows some 'strong' RPG elements like the entire series did, and yet it remains an action-adventure. Sleeping to gain health is one (including a short sleeping cue!), statues used to save your progress is one, the upgrading of equipment is one, the entire fantasy world, weapons and characters (of the entire series by the way) is one.

Please allow me to elaborate.

Role-playing video games use much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics as early pen-and-paper role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons. Generally, the player controls a small number of game characters, usually called a party, and achieves victory by completing a series of quests and reaching the conclusion of a central storyline.

That's the basis. And it doesn't matter what the medium is. It can be played in the form of boardgames, computer games, video games and even in real-life. Xenoblade for instance include all of these elements : You have a party, you must achieve victories by completing a series of quests and it contains a central storyline which can be concluded. So, the basis is there isn't it? It has tons of more additional content as any distinguished RPG has. The RPG evolved over time and became much broader than most people think it did.

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

FonistofCruxis

kkslider5552000 wrote:

well yeah, that helps, but the quality of every other 3rd party Wii game didn't exactly keep that in the public's eye.

Every other 3rd party Wii game? Xenoblade chronicles is first party, not third party as Monolith are owned by Nintendo and Nintendo did oversee the development of the game and gave some input into it.

Edited on by FonistofCruxis

kkslider5552000

mariofanatic128 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Every other 3rd party Wii game? Xenoblade chronicles is first party, not third party as Monolith are owned by Nintendo and Nintendo did oversee the development of the game and give some input into it.

I don't know how I forgot this. I should have just said "any original Wii game that is good".

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.