Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles

Showing 361 to 380 of 1,472

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

361. Posted:

mariofanatic128 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

So this might be relevent news

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site&cat=71&y...

admittedly, I don't exactly completely agree but this still amuses me.

Its fantastic to see XBC that high but I wish ToS was higher on that page and that TWEWY was even on that page.

ToS is actually pretty middle-of-the-road for the series, so I'd prefer it if ToS was lower and other games, such as ToV and ToA were higher.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

362. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

mariofanatic128 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Its fantastic to see XBC that high but I wish ToS was higher on that page and that TWEWY was even on that page.

ToS is actually pretty middle-of-the-road for the series, so I'd prefer it if ToS was lower and other games, such as ToV and ToA were higher.

I'll see how ToA compares to ToS when I get the 3DS version later this year which I'll probably be getting for Christmas but surely you weren't surprised when I said that were you? I'm sure I've mentioned many times how much I love that game and I've seen others who have played many Tales games and still like ToS the most.

Neilloggery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

363. Posted:

mariofanatic128 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

mariofanatic128 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'll see how ToA compares to ToS when I get the 3DS version later this year which I'll probably be getting for Christmas but surely you weren't surprised when I said that were you? I'm sure I've mentioned many times how much I love that game and I've seen others who have played many Tales games and still like ToS the most.

Most of the people I've met who've played lots of Tales of Games say it's Middle of the road. Personally, I had trouble getting into the story. I just didn't like the way it portrayed its themes and I saw most of its twists coming a long time before they happened...and I'm usually oblivious to most twists. I also found its characters to be annoying, but I'd probably change my mind about them now that I'm more used to the series.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

364. Posted:

@Mickeymac I don't know anyone IRL who has played any Tales of games (unless a friend who played the demo of ToV and played ToS with me a bit counts) so I was basing what I said on comments that I had seen on various sites and whichever you mean I have seen people consider ToS as Middle of the road but I've seen more peole considering it the best in the series or just thinking its a great game but not quite as high as the best in the series. I personally really enjoyed the story of ToS and it has my favorite story in gaming and I think they did a good job with the themes of the games too. I can see what you mean with the the twists though but they did a better job with a few of them. I also thought it had a great cast of characters and it has some of my favorite characters in gaming and other Tales fans seem to really like the cast of this game from what I've seen too, Kratos and Genis especially seem to be popular characters. Also, How far did you get in the game? I'm asking this as I remember seeing a comment that you didn't complete it.

Edited on by FonistofCruxis

Neilloggery

AuthorMessage

Burny

365. Posted:

Savegame says I've been at it for 110+ hours - probably excluding the final boss fight - and I'm through. Very epic journey, outstanding game and a huge time sink. Deserves the scores it got. The story keeps expanding throughout the whole game and even has a bit of a surprise in store after the last boss fight. :)

I did a lot of sidequests (hence the playtime :p), but didn't bother to hunt down and finish all of them. Especially those that open up, after you've been through "the core". Maybe I'll come back later to finish the remaining ones and to maximize the party's affinity and level.

Now, I've got two complaints. The first one doesn't bother me personally, but I know at least one person who is bothered by it. If you spend a lot of time not doing the main quests, but exploring and finishing sidequests, it's inevitable that your party will be overleveled for main quest bosses. 100+ hours of fun mean I don't care that I didn't have to retry each boss a dozen times because most weren't challenging. Completionists however will find that they can just waltz through such encounters. On the other hand, there are enough free roaming beasts that can give you a lot of challenge at any time. ;)

The second - and my only real - complaint is the lack of ingame information about locations of monsters, items and NPCs. An ingame "monsterpedia" containing names, dropped items and locations+times of all previously encountered monsters would have been immensely helpful. The same goes for NPCs. When you're not yet familiar with a location, "18:00-6:00, Alcamoth" is just too unspecific, as "Alcamoth" is a huge space that takes upwards of 5 minutes just to get from one side to the other. It doesn't help that it has two floors where NPCs could be. :p

Thankfully, someone put a lot of work into this quest-"cheat-sheet":

Google docs (File -> Download as -> Excel)

I can only recommend this to anyone who plans on doing a lot of sidequests!

It's an absolute shame that NA won't bring Xenoblade over for all we know. Especially, as next year will be barren from a software point of view and the WiiU might be released anywhere between E3 and Christmas. However, European online shops probably won't mind a bit of extra sales and where there is a will, there is way, right? ;)

Edited on by Burny

"I kill Gandalf." Igor - Dork Tower

Nintendo Network ID: BurnyBurns

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

366. Posted:

The story has really been getting interesting but it seems like one of my favourite characters will betray me after what was being implied in two cutscenes. If he does, this would be the second game I've played where one of my favourite characters has betrayed me with the first being Tales of Symphonia. Also, while I'm not doing all the quests, I am doing quite a few and I'd like to do the two quests with secret Monado arts so could someone tell me where and when those quests can be done?

Edited on by FonistofCruxis

Neilloggery

AuthorMessage

Burny

367. Posted:

@mariofanatic128:

The first of the two additional Monado techniques can be found in Magna Forest. You'll find the technique book in a sarcophagus (in a locked building) as a part of a quest chain involving a Nopon on the Bionis Leg and his (gran?)daughter in Frontier village.

You will receive the second technique as a reward from a quest on the Fallen Arm.

I can't tell you the names of the quest-givers and prerequisites for the quest off the top of my head, but if you do a lot of quests in both areas and make sure to do the quests the two nopon on the Bionis leg give you, you should find them. You could also consult the document I linked in the post above. ;)

Good luck!

Edited on by Burny

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

368. Posted:

Thanks, I'll use the document too. That should be really helpful.

Neilloggery

AuthorMessage

BenAV

369. Posted:

mariofanatic128 wrote:

Thanks, I'll use the document too. That should be really helpful.

I stumbled across that document a few days ago while trying to look up stuff.
It truly is helpful. :)

My Colors! 3D Gallery

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage

BenAV

370. Posted:

I just finished the game.
Now I'm sad.
I hate it when great games like that end.

Oh well... I guess I'll take a break for now and when I can be bothered I'll go through it again and get a lot of the stuff that I missed last time. :)

Oh, and the full soundtrack from the game is now on my 3DS (even if you can barely hear the 3DS's sound half the time). :)

Edited on by BenAV

My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

y0ss4ri4n

371. Posted:

Good long playthrough. There was a surprising little incidental exchange with an NPC that foreshadowed what I imagine willl be a pretty big plot point.

Spent ages doing side quests and building affinity between the team members. Now I've got Melia back I'm going to get her going on more quests with her team mates to improve her woeful indifference to everyone. As much as the battle script can get tired there are some surprise moments depending on the make up of the team. It's a shame Riki's child speak is so annoying when he's actually a decent member.

I've had some entertaining battles by mistakenly thinking I could just run past a bunch of enemies. I thought they would give up once I got far enough away but no, they ALL followed me and it got messy. Especially when a passing monster decided to chip in.

Exploring is still a joy. It's amazing how many locations are in this game and its secret hidey holes and hidden islands. Eryth Sea looked beautiful and I liked the FFVIII vibe I got from the design of Alcomoth. The tomb was a bit of an anti-climax. I was expecting more of a challenge and a deeper dungeon. Fun boss battle at least.

I'm starting to encounter the problem SKTTR mentioned where I have too much stuff. I'm afraid to get rid of it though as I know whatever I decide to bin will doubtlessly be the VITAL ingredient of a subquest. Speaking of which where can I find Dark Grapes and Fossil Monkeys? I've trekked through Tephra Cave and Makna Forest but no joy.

y0ss4ri4n

AuthorMessage

BenAV

372. Posted:

y0ss4ri4n wrote:

Fossil Monkeys?

These seem to be pretty rare.
In my first playthrough of the game I only ever found one of them.
On the very end of the river, just before it falls off a waterfall (I think?) past the secret area.
Not sure if it's more likely to show up there or if it was just a coincidence.

My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Faron

373. Posted:

BenAV wrote:

y0ss4ri4n wrote:

Fossil Monkeys?

These seem to be pretty rare.
In my first playthrough of the game I only ever found one of them.
On the very end of the river, just before it falls off a waterfall (I think?) past the secret area.
Not sure if it's more likely to show up there or if it was just a coincidence.

It's also possible to trade Fossil Monkeys in Frontier Village. You have to do a trade with one of the npc:s in there (the name was Rasha or something). For this you also need a two star affinity rating in Frontier Village, otherwise he has a different item.

Edited on by Faron

Faron

AuthorMessage

y0ss4ri4n

374. Posted:

Cheers for that!

I did find that secret island and thought there would be something good there but no...Maybe they are time based?

Any ideas on Dark Grapes?

It seems odd that they make the early stages of reconstruction so dependent on rare items.

y0ss4ri4n

AuthorMessage

Reala

375. Posted:

y0ss4ri4n wrote:

Cheers for that!

I did find that secret island and thought there would be something good there but no...Maybe they are time based?

Any ideas on Dark Grapes?

It seems odd that they make the early stages of reconstruction so dependent on rare items.

Just wait until you need rainbow slugs they are rarer than fossil monkeys and can't be traded for, nearly drove me insane :'(

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage

Burny

376. Posted:

Reala wrote:

Just wait until you need rainbow slugs they are rarer than fossil monkeys and can't be traded for, nearly drove me insane :'(

I feel your pain man. :( Must've spend an hour or more saving and reloading the damn game because I was missing one of these things for rebuilding the colony. Finally got one somewhere on the walkways on top of the (index?) finger.

AuthorMessage

ShinRPGGamer

377. Posted:

Anyone know the aporximent sale figures for Xenoblade? Surely the game has sold 100,000 copies by now right?

Formerly known as the artist Gmls719

1st Champion of the NLife Bowl.
Team: GmlsDragoonersUnited

Wii FC: 4905 5217 4099 5072
3DSFC: 3582 - 8742 - 0524

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

378. Posted:

well accoridng to VGChartz it's close to 100,000.

Which at this point is amazing for an original Wii game with no advertising, using info from a site known for ignoring online sales for a game where the entirety of the hype came from the internet.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

edhe

379. Posted:

Yeah, for such an acclaimed and anticipated game, I saw next to no advertising from Nintendo.

What the hell were they thinking?

Does NoA actually advertise their games, or do, like Nintendo UK, only care about dancing games and Z-List celebrities.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery
Wii #: 2706 9539 1977 4210
Yes. I have Wii Music
Edwardpon playplay Xenoblade Chronicles
WarioWare D.I.Y
Even I don't know how to pronounce my username
Follow a cow?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260 | Nintendo Network ID: edhe84

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

380. Posted: