Wii Forum

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles

Showing 161 to 180 of 1,475

AuthorMessage

Colors

161. Posted:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

Wheels2050 wrote:

I disagree with the abandonment because they're still releasing Kirby, Rhythm Heaven, and Skyward Sword on the Wii. Still, unfortunately for the Wii, the 3DS is the focus as well as the Wii U.

yes they are totally abandoning it like a sunken ship and all the games they are releasing now (beside Zelda) are re-cycles of old ideas (Kirby, Rhythm Heaven, Pilotwings) or localizations of Japanese titles. There hasn't been any creative effort from Nintendo this year and all they care about now is not in supporting the Wii, but in making the transition to the WiiU as painless and possible without losing too many fans on the way.

You quoted wrong and may want to edit that. In the quote, Izbirdboy said that, not wheels2050

Umfor Natugeris:
Topu a ximmuma of 030 rachacrets

AuthorMessage

Wheels2050

162. Posted:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

No it's not, I agree with that. But where has been the people's support when they had to buy Zack & Wiki, Muramasa, de Blob 2, Conduit 2, Madworld, A Boy and His Blob, Silent Hill etc etc?!

That's certainly a valid point. I can't speak for others, but I bought 4 of the games you've listed - although I know they're not going to release any more just for me. However, it would be nice if they actually advertised any of these ('they' being either Nintendo or other publishers). At least in Australia, the only games that get any sort of advertising are the Marios and Zeldas. You can't expect to just throw a bunch of copies of Muramasa on a shelf without any sort of publicity and think they will sell well.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

163. Posted:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

Wheels2050 wrote:

lzbirdboy wrote:

I disagree with the abandonment because they're still releasing Kirby, Rhythm Heaven, and Skyward Sword on the Wii. Still, unfortunately for the Wii, the 3DS is the focus as well as the Wii U.

Three games in ONE YEAR is support?

No it's not, I agree with that. But where has been the people's support when they had to buy Zack & Wiki, Muramasa, de Blob 2, Conduit 2, Madworld, A Boy and His Blob, Silent Hill etc etc?!

1) They didn't know about them, since most of those games got very little advertisement...though I do remember seeing a Silent Hill: Shattered Memories poster at my local Gamestop.
2) Those games don't appeal to their tastes, as most of them are either niche or of genres better served on other platforms.
3) Perhaps, just perhaps, even if it was their genre, even if they did know about them, they honestly thought they wouldn't be worth their time. Since honestly, those games are far from the best games on the Wii.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Unca_Lz

164. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

Wheels2050 wrote:

lzbirdboy wrote:

1) They didn't know about them, since most of those games got very little advertisement...though I do remember seeing a Silent Hill: Shattered Memories poster at my local Gamestop.
2) Those games don't appeal to their tastes, as most of them are either niche or of genres better served on other platforms.
3) Perhaps, just perhaps, even if it was their genre, even if they did know about them, they honestly thought they wouldn't be worth their time. Since honestly, those games are far from the best games on the Wii.

Aren't Xenoblade and Last Story niche RPG games?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery
LordJumpMad is emperor. U mad?

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

grenworthshero

165. Posted:

I'd hardly classify anything made by the creator of Final Fantasy "niche". Xenoblade, maybe, but just advertise The Last Story as being "From the creator of Final Fantasy" and it's an instant hit. Plus, from what I've seen, they're considered to be some of the best RPGs of this generation.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
3DS Code: 3823-8687-7682
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--Facebook--last.fm

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

AuthorMessage

Unca_Lz

166. Posted:

grenworthshero wrote:

I'd hardly classify anything made by the creator of Final Fantasy "niche". Xenoblade, maybe, but just advertise The Last Story as being "From the creator of Final Fantasy" and it's an instant hit. Plus, from what I've seen, they're considered to be some of the best RPGs of this generation.

Of the Wii or overall?

My Retrologgery

AuthorMessage

spizzamarozzi

167. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

Wheels2050 wrote:

lzbirdboy wrote:

1. Yes, poor advertising is something we already discussed. But these games sold atrociously even among Wii fanatics who obviously knew about their existence. And what does it take for someone who owns a Wii to understand that there are new games released? I don't know how's the situation in the US, but here only high-profile games get some kind of ad. We don't have someone that smashes the game in our face to make us notice that it exists, we do like we've always done...check the magazines, check the internet or simply go to the damn shop and see if there's some new game!! As a matter of fact, most of the Wii enthusiasts are getting them now that the Wii is dead instead of getting them in 2007-2010. Why? Too many good games to buy? But if there were so many good games that people couldn't keep up with the new releases, why complain in the first place?!

2. No, there's nothing neche-y in the games I mentioned. A puzzle game, a platformer, a FPS, blood, horror etc etc. Pretty straight stuff that could be enjoyed by everyone, even by the average audience (as opposite to Xenoblade or The Last Story that are games for "connoisseurs" only).

3. They are not the best games on the Wii (well, I'd argue about Silent Hill, Muramasa and Zack and Wiki) but they are all between good and great. The point always is the same: there have been great games that people haven't bought.
So this leads me to believe that people don't want "just" a great game: they want a moltitude of games to choose from, even if they'll end up buying the obvious choice!!

A lot of people can't care less about Xenoblade, The Last Story or Pandora's Tower. They're using them as a scapegoat to demonstrate their frustration because other consoles give you wider choices. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

These three games mentioned will be released in Europe and in english language (think of how lucky you are...if an european wants to get an exclusive US game, he/she has to learn english first!), so i'm sure people who are really interested in them are going to import them and find a way to play them on their machine. It's not that much of a drama, if you want them you can play them anyway.

That said, I admit that the Wii hasn't been a perfect console and 2011 has been awful, but still it has a robust library of games. I just hate to see people complain and complain because NoA is evil and NoA has to be destroyed and NoA doesn't care about us and bla bla blah and yet they forgot to buy the games when the games needed to be bought!

Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi
3DS friend code: 0104 - 0649 - 7464

AuthorMessage

grenworthshero

168. Posted:

@spizz
there's a serious difference between a niche genre and a niche game. Just because a game is a platformer doesn't mean it's automatically easily accessible. Opoona is a pretty standard RPG, but it's a pretty niche title. The genre has nothing to do with how obscure the title is.

Edited on by grenworthshero

AuthorMessage

spizzamarozzi

169. Posted:

grenworthshero wrote:

@spizz
there's a serious difference between a niche genre and a niche game. Just because a game is a platformer doesn't mean it's automatically easily accessible. Opoona is a pretty standard RPG, but it's a pretty niche title. The genre has nothing to do with how obscure the title is.

agree with that, although I still think that there are genres that are more accessible than others to the average consumer. I've met a lot of seasoned gamers who have never played in full an RPG because their mechanics do not appeal to everyone, and I must say that it's legit. On the other hand, platformers, puzzles and shooters are usually (and I mean usually, there are obviously, sophisticated exceptions) more intuitive, hence they don't scare the audience as much as a 120h JRPG does. I'm not very fond of RPGs myself either, although I'll definitely play a good one.

Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi
3DS friend code: 0104 - 0649 - 7464

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

170. Posted:

You're only looking at a small amount of RPGs. Many RPGs are actually pretty accessible, like Dragon Quest.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Burny

171. Posted:

lzbirdboy wrote:

Of the Wii or overall?

There are definitely a few people around, who would consider Xenoblade among the best all platforms have to offer - at least in Japan and from the western import impressions I read.

Have a look here! These rankings are from a user review site and as every numeric meta-score they are inherently flawed if you use it as a personal measure for liking a game or not. But nevertheless, there must have been enough people around who liked it enough to rank it this highly. Note: the scores are also old, as Xenoblade stands at 89 at the time I write this.

On the other hand, The Last Story comes out with a rather low score.

Mickeymac wrote:

You're only looking at a small amount of RPGs. Many RPGs are actually pretty accessible, like Dragon Quest.

As the genre is (mostly correctly) associated with a stigma of number crunching and slow game mechanics, the accessibility of the Dragon Quest series doesn't help them anymore than telling your average CoD-, Madden-and-not-much-else-loving PS360 fanatic that there are a whole lot of outstanding and unique "hardcore" Wii games the be played - if they only got over their spleen. Dragon Quest's art screaming Dragon Ball and thus "Anime" for obvious reasons, the series being built on mechanics from the early to mid 90s and - going by DQ4, which I've played - that it can be a single player grind fest, doesn't help much.

Edited on by Burny

"I kill Gandalf." Igor - Dork Tower

Nintendo Network ID: BurnyBurns

AuthorMessage

grenworthshero

172. Posted:

Yeah, Dragon Quest is a poor example. Have you ever played the original? Nothing but a grind-fest.

AuthorMessage

Kingbuilder

173. Posted:

I honestly really want this released to the United States. How do you fix Final Fantasy XII? Add Monster Hunter elements! Looks great and if I got the money to, I'd definitely buy this right away.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

174. Posted:

This rumour that I saw on gonintendo gives some hope for Americans:

RUMOR - Xenoblade Chronicles NA localization done, The Last Story in progress

Here's a bit of rumored information from the Operation Rainfall gang. Consider this rumor, as the information comes from a supposed inside source at Nintendo.

• American localization of Xenoblade is complete
  • The Last Story is currently being translated to English for an American release
  • no word on Pandora’s Tower localization
  • Redmond, WA branch of NoA has been working with other branches to bring Xenoblade and The Last Story to North America
  • NSTC version of Xenoblade was completed just over a month ago
  • Testing for the PAL and NSTC versions

If this is true then Europe will be getting all three while America will be getting Xenoblade chronicles and The last story with Pandora's tower still unconfirmed.
NOE just confirmed that it would be released in Europe two weeks early on the 19th August!!!

Edited on by FonistofCruxis

Neilloggery

AuthorMessage

Unca_Lz

175. Posted:

That rumor is far too convenient to be true. I don't buy it :P

My Retrologgery

AuthorMessage

Lotice-Paladin

176. Posted:

I think they mean they are testing the EU version...

Not sure why though...can't NOE localise if that is the case?

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage

Faron

177. Posted:

@burny
It seems that in that site you posted (wii mk2 or something), Xenoblade seems to have pretty much higher average score than any other game in there. Now that just raised my expectations a notch once again.

Faron

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

178. Posted:

Wise Guy wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

As the genre is (mostly correctly) associated with a stigma of number crunching and slow game mechanics, the accessibility of the Dragon Quest series doesn't help them anymore than telling your average CoD-, Madden-and-not-much-else-loving PS360 fanatic that there are a whole lot of outstanding and unique "hardcore" Wii games the be played - if they only got over their spleen. Dragon Quest's art screaming Dragon Ball and thus "Anime" for obvious reasons, the series being built on mechanics from the early to mid 90s and - going by DQ4, which I've played - that it can be a single player grind fest, doesn't help much.

The point was that it's easy to understand and get into, nothing about the stigma of others, just the stigma of that one person. Anyways, what's your suggestion, Wise Guy? You got any better examples?

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

179. Posted:

Kingbuilder wrote:

I honestly really want this released to the United States. How do you fix Final Fantasy XII? Add Monster Hunter elements! Looks great and if I got the money to, I'd definitely buy this right away.

I would definitely like to see some more adventure rpgs, with WiFi capabilities like that of Monster Hunter Tri.

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

180. Posted:

WiiAboutU wrote:

Kingbuilder wrote:

I would definitely like to see some more adventure rpgs, with WiFi capabilities like that of Monster Hunter Tri.

Monster hunter is an adventure game, not an rpg! Its the same with Zelda and Okami. Its so annoying when people call adventure game like those rpgs.

Neilloggery