Wii Forum

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles

Showing 121 to 140 of 1,491

AuthorMessage

Burny

121. Posted:

@Zaphod_Beeblebrox I don't know if it has been posted here before, but here is all the review you'll need (from a negaf user):

Bebpo wrote:

Battle system

• +Fast
  • +In addition to the normal choosing of commands, positioning and party member interaction make it more interactive than FFXII and thus more fun.
  • +Chain attack system is great. Connecting the same color attack increases damage exponentially, while tumbling an enemy opens up opportunity. Interesting decision choices.
  • +Tumble, paralyze, aura systems are great and lead to a lot of interesting battles.
  • +Every character is totally unique. Exact opposite of FFXII. By endgame no character is even remotely alike. All have their uses. All are fun to main as.
  • +Over 100 optional boss battles. Some are quite challenging and require good strategies, others are pushovers. Some just depend on what level you are when you fight them. But there's enough of them throughout, that you'll always have exciting fights with good rewards.
  • +No punishment for death gives an incentive to push yourself and try to fight anything you think you can. If you die, you simply start at last warp point and don't lose anything.
  • -3 party feels too limiting. Especially since so few spell types crossover. Someone is hit with poison? If you don't have the 1 character with cure status, you just gotta wait it out which is annoying. At times you are basically required to keep Shulk in your party and then you're limited even further to only 2 open slots. 4 person party would've gone a long way.
  • -AI is not terrible and you do have some control over it, but at the end of the day your AI partners will not play their characters as efficiently as you would have, which can be a bit annoying.
  • -Always auto-attacking while in battle. This is built into the system and so defenses are built around it occasionally. But sometimes you just want to NOT ATTACK so you don't trigger the counters, but you can't. >_<

Field/Questing

• +Great dungeon/field designs. Really intricate places with tons of secrets to reward those who explore. Lots of variety.
  • +Awesome weather effects. Every area has unique weather at random parts of the day.
  • +Gorgeous day/night cycle with music that fades nicely between night and day. Some areas become completely different during the night than they are during the day.
  • +One of the best endgames ever. As you go through your adventure you come across many monsters or places you can't fight or access. Endgame is going back and doing everything you couldn't during the main game. Very rewarding and pretty long.
  • +Quick travel and the ability to adjust time is awesome
  • +Save anywhere is fantastic and needs to be in more jrpgs
  • +400 optional quests. Some with neat stories. Some with great rewards
  • +Hundreds of unique named NPCs with their own stories that play out as you become more involved in the towns/cities by doing their quests
  • +Skill trees and borrowing skills from other trees is a good dynamic that provides lots and lots of passive skills. Some very good.
  • +Good amount of hidden things. Hidden skill trees, hidden attacks, hidden extensions of normal attacks, Ultimate weapons, Hidden areas, hidden npcs, etc...
  • +Gem crafting is neat and gems are very useful.
  • +Loot is alright. You get lots of it, but 75% of things in the game are useless
  • +Almost nothing important is missable. The few quests that are give you fair warning although they don't tell you when they expire.
  • +Character relation system is neat. Good rewards for building it up between characters.
  • -Some quests with rare drop grinds which are the worst thing ever invented. The only times I truly hated playing XB was spending 20-30 mins grinding an enemy for drops.
  • -Towns are sometimes too big with not enough quick travel landmarks. So when you're running quests there's a ton of in-town running back and forth to talk to people.
  • -Running speed is a bit slow for the size of the areas. Even with gems that boost running speed, it's capped at 125% for no reason. Should have at least uncapped it to 200% on new game+
  • -NPCs can be a pain to find without a guide of where everyone is at what time. Since every town has a day/night cycle you have to check the entire towns (which are huge) twice when looking for quests.
  • -Limited inventory SUCKS. Especially because you're constantly bombarded with items. Almost every time you kill an enemy (95%?) they leave a treasure with like 3-4 items each. Most of it junk. But just because it's fast (and because you can't compare it to your current equip) you click "take all" and move on. This means you fill up your inventories quick and often have to sell stuff to make room.
  • -Comparing equipment is really tedious. Especially if you ever think about buying from a shop.
  • -Character relation system between characters grows way to slowly. After 120 hours with everything done, you'll still only have about 50% of the relations maxed out. Growth needed to be at least twice as fast.
  • -Wish the game had field treasure chests as another way to reward players for exploring
  • -No beastiary. Inexcusable for a game like this that requires drops all the time.
  • -Because of no beastiary and the amount of named npcs you often have to find (and sometimes the unclear quest intructions), XB is a "wiki or die" game when trying to 100% it. Without some sort of a guide it'd be near impossible to do everything on the first run.

Story:

• +Very interesting plot set in a very unique world.
  • +Great pacing, exciting cutscenes, mysteries, foreshadowing, twists
  • +Smart writing. You will not find a more intelligently written rpg this gen. The game avoids most cliches and stereotypes and at no point will you roll your eyes or have to deal with stupid characters acting idiotically. The characters (even the lead) are all intelligent people and act accordingly.
  • +Good length. Story size is probably about the size of two of the Xenosaga games combined. Smaller in scope and length than Xenogears though.
  • +Satisfying tale from start to finish. The story is great from the start and never dips even once before the end credits roll. A grand adventure.
  • +Good cast. Everyone is likeable, no one is generic game/anime stereotype. Character depth doesn't go as deep as something like Xenosaga.
  • +or - depending on what you want. XB's story is great and cinematic, but it's not melodramatic like XG/XS/FF/KH. You will not get white room speeches with piano green grass playing. I think this is the biggest change from Takahashi's previous works. XB is not any more mainstream or less ambitious than XG/XS. The story is just as original and creative and well told, it's just that Takahashi has moved away from trying to pull the emotional strings of his audience and make melodrama. Instead it's simply a story where things happen and you enjoy them and watch the story unfold.

Graphics/Audio

• +Gorgeous environments
  • +Good character design
  • +Visibile equipment is pretty varied and has some real cool designs
  • +Nice range of tunes that are incorporated very well into the gameplay and cutscene
  • +Great voice acting
  • -Wii image quality drags things down a bit

Other

• +Large game; takes at least 60-70 hours first time. If you plan to do everything, you're looking at ~120 hours first time.
  • +New game + is great. Almost everything carries over.
  • -Game clock stops at 99:59. Really dumb for a huge game like this

Overall
While there might be a decent amount of small negatives spread throughout the title, the fact of the matter is that in the face of the giant adventure that Xenoblade presents, they're all minor issues that only pick away at the greatness of the experience Xenoblade gives. Anyone willing to invest the time to explore the world of Xenoblade will find that it's populated with hundreds of creatures, quests, characters, bosses, and hidden tales. All which add to up to a truly satisfying console rpg experience unlike any other out there.

Without the budget/time issues that caused the 2nd disc of Xenogears, or the production issues that caused Xenosaga Ep2, Xenoblade feels like the first time Takahashi has been able to give the game experience he wanted from start to finish without resistance blocking his way. And if this is the kind of experience that Takahashi wants to give, then I can only look forward immensely to whatever he creates next.

The three years Monolith Soft spent creating Xenoblade feel truly justified by the end product. As the best game in their resume to date, and the best rpg on a Nintendo system since Chrono Trigger, Xenoblade stands as a proud example of how great rpgs are made.

A+

;)

Edited on by Burny

"I kill Gandalf." Igor - Dork Tower

Nintendo Network ID: BurnyBurns

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

122. Posted:

it's always a good thing when there are more pros than cons, especially when the cons seem to be about far more specific situations

also, no melodrama, THANK GOD.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

123. Posted:

Wow, this game sounds even more amazing then I already thought it sounded. It also sounds like a massive game.

Neilloggery

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

124. Posted:

you know, just how disillusioned even diehard Nintendo fans are, some of the most loyal fans on the face of the earth, says a lot to me. I mean, I've seen internet complaints happen at the drop of a hat, but nothing quite like this.

NOE is apparently making jokes about NOA and most gaming sites I genuinely believe are talking about this because of how dissappointed they are instead of just for getting the most viewers of an article possible. Or maybe the lack of Wii anything going on meant this is one of the only things to talk about for Wii, and we got lucky, I dunno.

AuthorMessage

bonesy91

125. Posted:

So we don't get Xenoblade/The last story/Pandora's tower over here and on top of that, they troll us with a Elite gift that was from last year (in Japan)... Noa why do you have to be such jerks. _

Noa: the Joke of Nintendo

Wiiu: "the next generation of gaming is here"
All My info! 3DS friend code, PSN ID and WiiU ID on my backlog!
Wiiu ID: bonesy. Add me if you play monster hunter 3 ultimate.

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

126. Posted:

The comparison to NOE in the SNES era is a comparison I strongly agree with. The life cycle of the system somewhat reminds me of it too. Especially the late RPGs being some of the most hyped games and 2 years before the console's replaced having plenty of highly praised and hyped sequels (Super Metroid pretty much WAS a lot of Nintendo's advertising for Other M even, and we got the return of Donkey Kong Country).

I just wish I had more original ideas relating to this, but trust me, everything has been thought of for this.

AuthorMessage

kdognumba1

127. Posted:

I agree with that IGN article so much. Communication needs to happen badly.

http://backloggery.com/kdog254
http://www.justin.tv/kdognumba1
http://www.youtube.com/user/jotaroxtreme
http://jotaroxtreme.deviantart.com/

AuthorMessage

Burny

128. Posted:

@vonseux

I though I made it clear, but this is not my review. It was posted by someone calling himself Bebpo in the neogaf forum. Everything I know about this and The Last Story are second hand impressions from people there. I won't touch the game before September 2nd unfortunately... :p

That said, the general consent over there seems to be that this is the one must play RPG on the Wii. This goes so far that more than a few people there consider it one of the best RPGs of the generation. As for the Last Story, the impressions seem to be far less enthusiastic, because it is less of a traditional RPG. For one, there is no overworld in The Last Story. It's just the main city which acts as a kind of explorable hub from where you accept missions which take you directly into dungeons. It's supposed to have a very fun battle system though. In the end, it's up to personal preference.

I can only recommend browsing through the Last Story thread (read Bebpo's and desu's impression on that... and the Xenoblade thread on Neogaf.

Edited on by Burny

"I kill Gandalf." Igor - Dork Tower

Nintendo Network ID: BurnyBurns

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

129. Posted:

I'm not as excited for The last story as I was originally but it still seems like a very enjoyable game that I will still get. Does that same guy have impressions on Pandora's tower too?

Edited on by FonistofCruxis

Neilloggery

AuthorMessage

lilboyblue

130. Posted:

If Operation Rainfall fails

Quit worshiping Nintendo. Look guys the only way to get through Nintendo is with our wallets. You are what wrong w/fan of anything you take what ever you get. Look I don't think we should abandon them. I think we should semi boycott Skyward sword. By that I mean by it used or wait for a price drop of any type. Like maybe $20 preferably. Do what you can $5, $10 & $15 because they will feel it.

By it used like I mentioned because they don't get a cent. If Operation rainfall campaign doesn't succeed. My last suggestion skip out on wii U for a bit may be 3-5 months. If all else fails this will get to the dont like the fail like COD:MW2 pc boycott. Remember your the consumer Its their job to please you not flex their egos. We are their power their life force w/o us their nothing.

Please spread the word if you like the Idea on to operation rainfall and any other people you know pls

lilboyblue

AuthorMessage

D33G

131. Posted:

lilboyblue wrote:

Quit worshiping Nintendo. Look guys the only way to get through Nintendo is with our wallets. You are what wrong w/fan of anything you take what ever you get. Look I don't think we should abandon them. I think we should semi boycott Skyward sword. By that I mean by it used or wait for a price drop of any type. Like maybe $20 preferably. Do what you can $5, $10 & $15 because they will feel it.

By it used like I mentioned because they don't get a cent. If Operation rainfall campaign doesn't succeed. My last suggestion skip out on wii U for a bit may be 3-5 months. If all else fails this will get to the dont like the fail like COD:MW2 pc boycott. Remember your the consumer Its their job to please you not flex their egos. We are their power their life force w/o us their nothing.

Please spread the word if you like the Idea on to operation rainfall and any other people you know pls

This

3DS FC: 1633-4209-9013
MK7 Communities: Race: 61-2419-4309-3787
Balloon: 52-9956-0588-5533
Coin: 30-4169-6281-0565

AuthorMessage

grenworthshero

132. Posted:

My thoughts on this situation are summed up (in just under 18 minutes) here:

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
3DS Code: 3823-8687-7682
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--Facebook--last.fm

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

133. Posted:

lilboyblue wrote:

Look guys the only way to get through Nintendo is with our wallets.

/imports Xenoblade

I did my part.

lilboyblue wrote:

I think we should semi boycott Skyward sword. By that I mean by it used or wait for a price drop of any type. Like maybe $20 preferably. Do what you can $5, $10 & $15 because they will feel it.

I plan on playing Skyward Sword before the Wii U is obsolete.

lilboyblue wrote:

My last suggestion skip out on wii U for a bit may be 3-5 months.

Many, many people would have done this anyway. I was an early adopter for the Wii and 3DS, and I was already planning to hold off on the Wii U for while.

A boycott will not work. The vast majority of Nintendo's customers don't know or care about these games.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

MAddogz

134. Posted:

lilboyblue wrote:

hmmm, do u really think boycotting is the right way??? Just look were u are at now... 3 games are not coming to the US at the moment... why??? because so called hardcore gamers don't buy good games... Look at Red Steel 2, Little King's Story, Zak&Wiki, Muramasa, just to name a few, that didn't sell well and are great games...

Boycotting and talking games down like Resident Evil UC&DC, House of the Dead: Overkill and Dead Space makes absolutely no sense... Why doesn't any 3rd party developer wants to make games for wii??? Answer is above...

MAddogz's Backloggery

Thoughts are free, who can guess them?
They flee by like nocturnal shadows.
No man can know them, no hunter can shoot them,
with powder and lead: Thoughts are free!

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

135. Posted:

I've been boycotting Nintendo for 3 years, with the exception of Sin & Punishment 2. And you know what it's gotten us? S&P2 and not much else.:| Yeah, I don't see this working.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

lilboyblue

136. Posted:

MAddogz wrote:

lilboyblue wrote:

hmmm, do u really think boycotting is the right way??? Just look were u are at now... 3 games are not coming to the US at the moment... why??? because so called hardcore gamers don't buy good games... Look at Red Steel 2, Little King's Story, Zak&Wiki, Muramasa, just to name a few, that didn't sell well and are great games...

Boycotting and talking games down like Resident Evil UC&DC, House of the Dead: Overkill and Dead Space makes absolutely no sense... Why doesn't any 3rd party developer wants to make games for wii??? Answer is above...

Sure but look at this poster. http://i54.tinypic.com/168fx8n.jpg

deegan714 & grenworthshero thanks 4 support please send this out if u agree I already did IGN. (the dont dig the Idea)

Mickeymac this is a cordinated if people actual do the all at once Nintendo will feel the pain.

Edited on by lilboyblue

lilboyblue

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

137. Posted:

grenworthshero wrote:

My thoughts on this situation are summed up (in just under 18 minutes) here:

With nintendo's current attitude, I don't blame you for not wanting the wii U. I'm not that keen on it either for similar reasons as well as the stance they're taking on the wii U with the way they're giving in to the as Zaphod_beeblebrox put it the 'Dudebro' group but I will probably still end up getting for the new smash bros. and NMH3. BTW, nice T-shirt, I've got one just like that except its white not yellow.

Neilloggery

AuthorMessage

Reala

138. Posted:

The poster doesn't list it sources for those numbers so who know's how accurate they are, though I do get its point that most games sell better in the US than Europe, I don't see how it's in any way relevant to NoA's decision regarding releases though, what NoA regards as an acceptable sales target and what NoE accepts are no doubt going to differ, I doubt NoE expected to sell more just that their benchmark for what constitutes a sales success might be lower than NoA's.

I really doubt that those 3 games can generate enough genuine interest as to hurt nintendo, it is the internet so its not out of the question that petitions will have 2, 3, 4 or so different sigs from a few individual passionate users so doubt the movement is as big as they claim.

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage

Joetherocker

139. Posted:

All I'll be doing is buying my Nintendo games used since I don't want to give them my money.

I'll probably get my systems new though, since every time I get a used system there's something wrong with it.

Wild signature appeared!

3DS FC: 4270-1110-7770

AuthorMessage

grenworthshero

140. Posted:

A boycott is just stupid. Nintendo doesn't care about your money, because almost everyone who is willing to boycott Nintendo are the people who didn't like Nintendo all that much to begin. If the WiiU comes out and Nintendo decides to keep its word and support its fanbase, then, hey, I'll buy it. But, until that day comes, I'll hold off on it, because I'm not going to spend my money on something that doesn't have any games that I actually really want to play.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
3DS Code: 3823-8687-7682
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--Facebook--last.fm

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero