Forums

Topic: Wii Recommendations Thread

Posts 621 to 640 of 926

Nintenbro

Do you guys think I should pre-order a copy of, "The Last Story," or purchase a new copy of, "Super Mario Galaxy 2"?

Edited on by Nintenbro

Nintendo Bro
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

Chrono_Cross

G4L wrote:

Do you guys think I should pre-order a copy of, "The Last Story," or purchase a new copy of, "Super Mario Galaxy 2"?

Both. But if you have to choose... Last Story. It may not be around forever whereas Galaxy 2 will be.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Willerz

I've read a lot of reviews about Xenoblade Chronicles but I'm still on the fence on whether or not to purchase it. Any suggestions? What other games would you say it's similar to?

Twitter || Backloggery

3DS: 3780 - 9266 - 7113

Chrono_Cross

Sadly, you can't really compare it to anything else on Wii. Be warned though it is fairly difficult but all in all a great JRPG. Some people even claim it as the best this generation. If I were you and had money, I would definitely buy it as soon as possible.

(I played it at a friend's house so that's how I know it's difficult, lol.)

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Willerz

Yes, I was hoping to get it sooner rather than later. A lot of the games released towards the end of a consoles lifespan seem to go out of print and hard to come by quite quickly. A friend of mine said it reminded him a little bit of Monster Hunter Tri, a game I didn't really enjoy that much, that's what put me off buying it sooner really. Is that true?

Twitter || Backloggery

Gamesake

Willerz wrote:

I've read a lot of reviews about Xenoblade Chronicles but I'm still on the fence on whether or not to purchase it. Any suggestions? What other games would you say it's similar to?

It's similar to Final Fantasy XII--but it's WAY better than that! I'm only 15 hours in but I'm starting to regret not pre ordering it. It's a quality game and I've had fun with it so far.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

Willerz

Ahh, I was addicted to Final Fantasy XII, even though it wasn't exactly amazing.
What is the battle system like?

Twitter || Backloggery

Gamesake

Xenoblade combat doesn't seem too heavy on strategy but battles are over quickly--so it hasn't gotten boring for me. The bosses are overly drawn out like most JRPGs though. Mainly you'll be controlling one character of your choice and using all their physical arts as fast as you can, your character will auto attack while spent arts cool down (like an MMO) — you'll want to notice what direction the enemy is facing to maximize your damage. You can also upgrade your physical arts with points earned in battle. Each character has a very basic skill tree as well that unlocks passive abilities as time goes on. You'll be pressing the B button a lot to cheer on allies as they fight to fill this Party Gauge--you use that to revive downed allies and initiate combo attacks. Unlike Final Fantasy XII monsters don't respawn right on top of you--many of the critters I've encountered don't even attack unless you attack first. You can use a lure command to break up a group of monsters so they don't swarm you all at once. You don't have a defense command (unless it's a physical art). No healing items. No magic points. Your health refills by standing around when you're not in a battle. I just met a character who can shoot healing bullets in battle until her gun overheats and then you have to wait for it to cool down. Dungeons are long but the map lets you skip back instantly to landmarks you've already been to--which saves a lot of time. If your party dies you get sent back to the last landmark you passed. Plus you can save anywhere.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

Willerz

Gamesake wrote:

Xenoblade combat doesn't seem too heavy on strategy but battles are over quickly--so it hasn't gotten boring for me. The bosses are overly drawn out like most JRPGs though. Mainly you'll be controlling one character of your choice and using all their physical arts as fast as you can, your character will auto attack while spent arts cool down (like an MMO) — you'll want to notice what direction the enemy is facing to maximize your damage. You can also upgrade your physical arts with points earned in battle. Each character has a very basic skill tree as well that unlocks passive abilities as time goes on. You'll be pressing the B button a lot to cheer on allies as they fight to fill this Party Gauge--you use that to revive downed allies and initiate combo attacks. Unlike Final Fantasy XII monsters don't respawn right on top of you--many of the critters I've encountered don't even attack unless you attack first. You can use a lure command to break up a group of monsters so they don't swarm you all at once. You don't have a defense command (unless it's a physical art). No healing items. No magic points. Your health refills by standing still when you're not in a battle. I just met a character who can shoot healing bullets in battle until her gun overheats and then you have to wait for it to cool down. Dungeons are long but the map lets you skip back instantly to landmarks you've already been to--which saves a lot of time. If your party dies you get sent back to the last landmark you passed. Plus you can save anywhere.

Thanks! I don't think I could have asked for a better reply!
This sounds like something I'd enjoy playing.
I'm seriously considering placing an order for this now.

Twitter || Backloggery

Gamesake

I forgot to mention the Xenoblade characters appearances change depending on what type of armor they wear. Most JRPGs don't do that.

...in my pants.

CanisWolfred

For the record, this game is nothing like Monster Hunter Tri. Know this because every time I play, I find myself wishing I was playing Tri instead for some reason (I'm too addicted to that game right now).

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Wheels2050

Mickeymac wrote:

For the record, this game is nothing like Monster Hunter Tri. Know this because every time I play, I find myself wishing I was playing Tri instead for some reason (I'm too addicted to that game right now).

Is online still active for MHT? I've thought about buying it a few times, but I'm told that you miss out on a lot with single player only.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

CanisWolfred

You can always ask in the thread in the Online Gaming sub-forum. I haven't tried to find any random person, since that's not how I play, but I'm sure you could find somebody to play with soon enough. I could always play with you. The singleplayer's fun enough on its own, though.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Nintenbro

Are there any other adventure games with good puzzles like, "TLoZ: Skyward Sword," or, "Zach & Wiki"?

Edited on by Nintenbro

Nintendo Bro

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

shingi_70

Ty the telltale games.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Nintenbro

vonseux wrote:

G4L wrote:

Are there any other adventure games with good puzzles like, "TLoZ: Skyward Sword," or, "Zach & Wiki"?

Pandora's Tower

Thanks for the suggestion, but I said, "good puzzles".

Nintendo Bro

SKTTR

Pandora's Tower has good puzzles.

Also, try Another Code R and Tales of Monkey Island,
maybe Broken Sword too.
Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario if you haven't already.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Nintenbro

@vonseux, how much was a new PAL copy of Pandora's Tower? I can't see spending $49.99 for a 15 hour long adventure/RPG title. Especially when I paid that much for Xenoblade Chronicles, and it has the ability to offer up hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Nintendo Bro

LuigiTheGreenFire

If you're a Harry Potter or Lego fan, I highly recommend Lego Harry Potter : Years 1-4 and the newest one, Years 5-7. Neither are fantastic, but they are fun to explore, have plenty of stuff for completionists, and are just charming games overall. The first Lego Harry Potter is only $20 and the sequel is $40.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic