Forums

Topic: Wii Recommendations Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 926

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

I'm thinking that Super Mario Galaxy 2 might be easier for me since it's linear. For some reason, I like linear games instead of wanderfests.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

hulklol123456789

How much do you recommend elebits? It is good?

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

What I want to know is: Do you have to finish a galaxy to go to the next, or do you switch between them?

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

CaptainDingo

StarFox wrote:

What I want to know is: Do you have to finish a galaxy to go to the next, or do you switch between them?

In Super Mario Galaxy 2, progression is based on how many stars you have. While you don't have to finish a galaxy to proceed to the next, you do need to accumulate enough stars from the galaxies available to you in order to continue. Sometimes, yes, that may involve "requiring" you to beat a galaxy, though you do get your choice of what galaxy to nab the needed stars from (a choice that grows as you get further along in the game).

I'm the lead designer and programmer at Three-Headed Dingo. We make adventure games for Steam, but I'm also quite the Nintendophile!

lockelocke

@SkullMan
No More Heroes is kind of a polarizing game. I love it, but I know some people who are on the fence about it. It's a very weird game, that's for sure. Weird story presentation, colorful characters, bizarre moments, graphic violence. It almost has a David Lynch vibe at times, and other times it feels like Ninja Scrolls. If you happened to play Killer7 for the PS2/GCN and liked that game, chances are you'll like No More Heroes.

The first game features a kind of crappy GTA like overworld, but with a Japanese sandbox approach, so imagine Liberty City with almost nothing to interact with. They took out the overworld in the sequel in favor of a menu based system, which works better IMO, but both games are totally worth playing. They both have their faults, but their charm makes them hard to dislike.

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

Gamesake

Splat wrote:

I saw Speed Racer for cheap at Walmart has any one played it?

Speed Racer would be an awesome Wii exclusive if it wasn't so ugly. The tracks are a sickly pink and orange for the most part, everything on the screen is blurry in motion, when you explode it looks like purple confetti, and your wheels leave yellow streaks on the road instead of sparks like in the live action movie. In fact a big problem with the game is the lack of movie or anime tie-ins, it doesn't even have cut scenes. The license is totally wasted here. The violent Car-Fu game play and controls were a lot of fun though (I don't think it uses the classic controller if that matters to you). It's usually only 10 or 15 dollars at Amazon and that's not a bad deal.

You might want to wait for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit or Driver: San Francisco to come out later this year if you want another violent driving game.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

CaptainDingo

lockelocke wrote:

@SkullMan
No More Heroes is kind of a polarizing game. I love it, but I know some people who are on the fence about it. It's a very weird game, that's for sure. Weird story presentation, colorful characters, bizarre moments, graphic violence. It almost has a David Lynch vibe at times, and other times it feels like Ninja Scrolls. If you happened to play Killer7 for the PS2/GCN and liked that game, chances are you'll like No More Heroes.

The first game features a kind of crappy GTA like overworld, but with a Japanese sandbox approach, so imagine Liberty City with almost nothing to interact with. They took out the overworld in the sequel in favor of a menu based system, which works better IMO, but both games are totally worth playing. They both have their faults, but their charm makes them hard to dislike.

Adding my two cents here, I can say that you have to be really open-minded about what games can be in order to enjoy No More Heroes. I always try to keep an open mind for new types of games, but I still feel like there's so little replay value in the two titles that after the ride is over, you don't ever want to take it again. It's not even like playing Metroid Prime, where you might come back to it a couple years later and get a hankering to play it (perhaps because No More Heroes is so "extreme" that it's burned in my mind and will never appear fresh to me again since I'll never really forget it). The day I beat No More Heroes was the last time I ever played it or wanted to, and in the back of my mind I know I'll never want to replay it. I feel like once I complete No More Heroes 2, I'll feel the same way. Which is why I've put off finishing it, to avoid getting that feeling about another game. I think I'm about halfway through though.

If you don't mind taking one good ride you'll probably not want to take again, it will be up your alley, but otherwise, it may not be.

Edited on by CaptainDingo

I'm the lead designer and programmer at Three-Headed Dingo. We make adventure games for Steam, but I'm also quite the Nintendophile!

Monix2598

I am having a tough time deciding to get either galaxy or mario kart wii ( i know i said i was going to get galaxy before but i ended up getting wario land shake it)

Monix2598

hulklol123456789

Monix2598 wrote:

I am having a tough time deciding to get either galaxy or mario kart wii ( i know i said i was going to get galaxy before but i ended up getting wario land shake it)

Well both games are good, anyways they are not great, mario kart is fun, but is like any other mario kart, so if you like mario kart, get it! Mario Galaxy is also fun, but for a game like that it have a ver very poor storyline, but no mario game got a good story line, so you wichever you choose won't be a bad choice, anyways you can consider to get other games like sin & punishment, monster hunter, or wait for upcoming games, like kirby's epic yarn or goldeneye.

Birdman

@Monix - I personally don't think you could go wrong with either. I'd get MKWii if you're into online multiplayer or multiplayer in general and SMG if you're the single-player type.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

Splat

Monix2598 wrote:

If you want to play by your self get Galaxy if you want to play with friends get Kart.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

Kingbuilder

hulklol123456789 wrote:

Monix2598 wrote:

Well both games are good, anyways they are not great, mario kart is fun, but is like any other mario kart, so if you like mario kart, get it! Mario Galaxy is also fun, but for a game like that it have a ver very poor storyline, but no mario game got a good story line, so you wichever you choose won't be a bad choice, anyways you can consider to get other games like sin & punishment, monster hunter, or wait for upcoming games, like kirby's epic yarn or goldeneye.

Super Mario Galaxy isn't great? It has perfect controls, amazing gameplay, and great style. The game is all around perfect, and even the storyline is advanced for a Mario game.

How can you even recommend a game like Sin & Punishment to one of the greatest games of all time? Sorry to all you Sin & Punishment fans, but Galaxy is one of the best games of all time.

Edited on by Kingbuilder

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

hulklol123456789

@Kingbuilder, sorry dude, but I don't fin it great, it is for me... rather boring. So it doesn't have the action or exploration I like, whe Super Mario Galaxy come out, I was waiting for something as great as Super Mario Sunshine, but well, it was good, but not as good as I was expecting. Also sometime the gravity stuffs (in some parts) make the game pretty confusing, but well other part were very well made. So Super Mario Galaxy is good, very good, but it is not... great!

CanisWolfred

hulklol123456789 wrote:

@Kingbuilder, sorry dude, but I don't fin it great, it is for me... rather boring. So it doesn't have the action or exploration I like, whe Super Mario Galaxy come out, I was waiting for something as great as Super Mario Sunshine, but well, it was good, but not as good as I was expecting. Also sometime the gravity stuffs (in some parts) make the game pretty confusing, but well other part were very well made. So Super Mario Galaxy is good, very good, but it is not... great!

I know how you feel. Galaxy's just too straight-forward and doesn't have what made its predecessors so great. I missed exploring the Overworld like I did in Super Mario Sunshine, and I missed clearling any objective I saw fit, regardless of the one I was on. I miss the secrets. I missed the freedom. As good as Galaxy was, it was too restrictive to be great.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Gamesake

Monix2598 wrote:

I'd go with Mario Galaxy because there's a good chance there will be better racing games out by Christmas.

...in my pants.

lockelocke

CaptainDingo wrote:

lockelocke wrote:

@SkullMan

Adding my two cents here, I can say that you have to be really open-minded about what games can be in order to enjoy No More Heroes. I always try to keep an open mind for new types of games, but I still feel like there's so little replay value in the two titles that after the ride is over, you don't ever want to take it again. It's not even like playing Metroid Prime, where you might come back to it a couple years later and get a hankering to play it (perhaps because No More Heroes is so "extreme" that it's burned in my mind and will never appear fresh to me again since I'll never really forget it). The day I beat No More Heroes was the last time I ever played it or wanted to, and in the back of my mind I know I'll never want to replay it. I feel like once I complete No More Heroes 2, I'll feel the same way. Which is why I've put off finishing it, to avoid getting that feeling about another game. I think I'm about halfway through though.

If you don't mind taking one good ride you'll probably not want to take again, it will be up your alley, but otherwise, it may not be.

The cool thing about NMH2 (not sure if they did this with the 1st game) was that you could playthrough again with all your weapons, clothing, and gym upgrades, like in RE4.

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

kaw270

I have a 50 dollar gift card and wondering whether to wait for Donkey Kong or get Kirby's epic yarn, I don't think dk wii receive a 10 like kirby, but then again I didn't think kirby wasn't even going to get a 10

Robo-goose

I recommend Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn to everyone, that is, only if they are good at tactical RPGs.

"I'm a heartbreaker...
My name... Charles." -The Greatest Man In Driftveil City

Timwario

To the people asking about Super Mario Galaxy:
Wow, you still haven't got it yet? If you haven't, get it if you enjoyed the 2D Mario games. You're in for a real treat. The music, graphics, everything gave me goosebumps. The game is not nearly as bad as SMS fans are making it out to be. I liked Galaxy for the same exact reason a small amount of people hated it, it was linear. While yes, I enjoy exploration as much as the next guy, I usually don't like it when it's used in Mario games, that's what Zelda and Metroid are for. So please, if you were disappointed with Sunshine, get this game, get it now. I wouldn't want anybody to miss out on it, especially if they are the kind of person that will enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is.

Edited on by Timwario

Timwario

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic