Forums

Topic: Wii Purchases Aren't Forever! (Yahoo)

Posts 81 to 91 of 91

Adam

The different regions have different ratings systems, different languages, different currencies, etc. I'd like to see one super shop, myself, but I don't know that it's practical for them as a business.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Sean_Aaron

You'd think people in the industry would work harder to sort this out, or is the ratings board thing the equivalent of a tarriff on trade to protect local game industry folk?

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

sandpiper

This is the reason I quit buying WiiWare and VC games. Hardware isn't forever and when my Wii goes kaput I don't want to have wasted all my hard earned $$$$$$.

sandpiper

Sean_Aaron

Well, the good thing is that this stuff is in solid-state memory, so though your optical drive may eventually die it's likely you'll be able to play your downloads for as long as any cart-based system.

I don't really think about it myself, I mean, it's not like I'm not going to buy music off iTunes because it's only in data form on my computer, is it? CDs and DVDs definitely won't last forever, so should I stop buying music or movies as a result? Books will turn to dust - should I stop reading too?

Adam

People eventually die, so I have decided to stop loving them. I don't want to have wasted my time.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Bankai

Sean+Aaron wrote:

Well, the good thing is that this stuff is in solid-state memory, so though your optical drive may eventually die it's likely you'll be able to play your downloads for as long as any cart-based system.

I don't really think about it myself, I mean, it's not like I'm not going to buy music off iTunes because it's only in data form on my computer, is it? CDs and DVDs definitely won't last forever, so should I stop buying music or movies as a result? Books will turn to dust - should I stop reading too?

Conceptually, I do agree with this, however, the Wii digital downloads have the shortest life span of all. It's one console. iTunes music moves across multiple computers, PS3 and Xbox data also can move between consoles.

Books and CDs are a poor comparison because there's no certainty on when, if ever, those will die (I've never had a CD or DVD or book become unusuable). We KNOW the Wii will die sooner or later, and when it does, our investment in those games is irreverably gone. That's not a comfortable feeling, IMO.

Objection

I would consider myself a "casual consumer" of VC/WW but I've still spent at least $100 on downloads and IF (yes, if) I invest in the WiiToo, I expect that to be carried over. Or that'll be a major nail in the successor's coffin, where I'm concerned.

[21:14] pixelman: I blame fheblackdragon
[21:15] pixelman: That's not an f by the way, it's a fancy t.
[21:15] Objection: Tales of Graces "fancy t"
[21:15] Objection: Tinal Tantasy
[21:15] theblackdragon: lol OB
[21:15] pixelman: OB knows what he's asking about.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-0835-3789

Sean_Aaron

WaltzElf wrote:

Books and CDs are a poor comparison because there's no certainty on when, if ever, those will die (I've never had a CD or DVD or book become unusuable). We KNOW the Wii will die sooner or later, and when it does, our investment in those games is irreverably gone. That's not a comfortable feeling, IMO.

Given that books are printed on paper which is gradually destroyed (as are most materials) by the corrosive properties of the oxygen upon which our lives depend, their destruction is a certainty. This oxidation is also what makes the death of CDs/DVDs a certainty because no current manufacturing process can claim to completely eliminate even the most minute traces of it from between the layers that these optical formats are composed of; there have been reports of 1st generation CDs degrading to the point of being difficult to playback for years. The Wii has no more "certainty" of death than any of these - unless you're saying there's some sticker on the Wii with a self-destruct date that I've missed? It's quite possible that my books and my CDs/DVDs will all outlive me; it's possible that my Wii will also. I'm actually due to ship my PAL Wii off for repair soon due to a "memory corruption" issue - you think I'm worried about losing my downloads?

As long as there's someone to fix the machine and I keep my content backed-up on a memory card, everything is fine. In the meantime I can just play the games.

SpentAllMyTokens

I'm definitely holding off on DSiWare purchases until E3. Hopefully they'll announce a solution then. If they don't, I'm not sure if I'll download much, if any, more because with portables it really is nice to have everything in one place. I probably won't buy anything on WW/VC either. Right now I could recoup my purchases on a Wii2 fairly easily if the services at least carried over. However, if they don't have some sort of account system for Wii2 in place, I won't even bother.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Rusty_Nail

I hate the Wii online when you have to write a long code to register your friends and even can't see if your friends are online and you even don't have your own Wii shop account to transfer over to another console, but i hope they will do something with this problem soon

Edited on by theblackdragon

Rusty_Nail

SepticLemon

I was skeptical from the beggining about moving content over, then again it doesn't bug me too much. Likely hood is if I get the 3DS or the next Wii/Nintendo TV console I'll only buy content on it that wasn't on the previous system and/or content that I didn't buy for the previous system since I'm going to keep it anyway.

As for Getting a Black Wii, I'll be getting a one in the States on my holiday. Again I'm not fussed about bringing my VC and WiiWare games onto it either, since the Wii Shops are different in regions and I'll only be buying games on it that I can't get on the EU Wii Shop Channel, such as Cave Story, Light Trax, Blaster Master Overdrive, Axelay, Star Soldier, Ninja Gaiden III, Princess Tomato, Super Dogde Ball, Tecmo Bowl, Uncharted Waters and Zanac.

So yeah, not a huge deal for me, just because I've known this for a while, and I've gotten over it...

SepticLemon

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.