Forums

Topic: Wii is damaged by "sub-standard software"

Posts 21 to 35 of 35

Trin

Luckily, I live in 2009, and I have things like the internet to help me find reviews of games before I buy them. This means I don't buy some games, then get home and realise they are shovelware nonsense about a gang of cats trying to climb Kilimanjaro to solve a number puzzle, a game where you vote twice weekly on which hairstyle Barbie should have, and the latest 3D Sonic.

So I don't see why it harms the system, if no-one buys or plays this mush. If you own a Wii and you are buying a game, and that game ain't Mario, Zelda, Metroid or an established series title like Ressy Evil, then you better do a bit of homework. Is this different to any other system though? What system doesn't have poor games?

What matters is how many great games a system has that you can buy, not how many bad games a system has that you shouldn't buy - don't shop with a blindfold on. Problem sorted.

Edited on by Trin

Trin

NotEnoughGolds

Mandoble wrote:

I care about games. If the white box is not able to have decent games, then might be it is time to add a different colour box to your livingroom,

I'm not sure what you mean...
Untitled
this?

NotEnoughGolds

Slapshot

Nintendo SHOULD have a Quality Control system in process to get the crap games out of the market, shovelware is ridicilous and that is the Wiis biggest downfall, much like the iPhone (how much have you heard people ranting and raving about it lately?) a few good games dont get noticed easily on a shelf with a bunch of half-@ss rip-off games that barely function enough to call themself games so they are MiniGames or whatever you want to call NinjaBread Man. The Wii isnt even granted ports of Tekken 6 or Soul Calibur 4 or Mortal Kombat vs DC, (Soul Calibur Legends was a rip-off). I do agree that 3rd Parties are a big problem with flooding the system with crap ports and shovelware, BUT Nintendo who Obviliously is not hurting money wise should stop it....... and now its down to this, Very few games 3rd Party will be released and that limits the AAA titles to mainly Nintendo titles wich come at about 2 games a year. I think we will be seeing another Nintendo console very soon.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Mabbit

Nintendos next home console reeeeeeally has to kick @$$. because if it doesnt, who knows what will happen

Heisenberg says "relax!"
The user formerly known as briunj04
PSN=mabbit04/Summoner name(LoL)=briunj04

Slapshot

@briunj..... you know I just thought about that myself in another thread, but another thing fitting in this thread is that with the Wii, the motion controls are the thing that sells the system, but at the same time is its biggest downfall as it allows the 3rd Party Devs to tack on motion controls to underproduced games cheaply and wrap it up in a nice and pretty package and sell it. (Force Unleashed) Yep, motion controls work nicely....... check, graphics broken and characters mouth dont even move, and clipping problems everywhere and barely any lighting...... check, game freeze and save game problems.......... check, $49.99 price tag on release that is only $10 cheaper than its fully polished and developed brother/sister games on the other systems....... check....... = 3rd Party Screwing the Wii and Nintendo letting it happen.

ItsFuzzyPickles

slapshot82 wrote:

I think we will be seeing another Nintendo console very soon.

This is meant to be a longer generation then before. So I doubt we'll see one until late 2012 or later. Until then, you'll have to play on your Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Nintendo DSi. Not to bash you or the consoles, but this is suppose to be the longest generation yet. However, releasing a new console will not fix the shovelware problem the Wii has. If Nintendo cannot fix it this generation, the problem will follow them in the next generation.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

warioswoods

SeanAaron wrote:

I've put crap software in my Wii before and it's not been damaged yet!

Edited on by warioswoods

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Slapshot

@SSBF..... Ill be getting another Wii when the next system comes out and then pick the games up dirt cheap, well the ones I haven't already beaten. Actually I might in the next year or so, whenever the price is dropped again. I didn't pick up a Gamecube until the prob 3 yrs after its release and was quite happy I did that as I had a full line up of games, I think I will stick to that method on Nintendo consoles in the future lol.

Mandoble

No idea if in the future the Wii monition controls will have any relevance, so far and after 3 years the releveance on good Wii games is none.

Mandoble

Slapshot

@Mandoble..... I dont know about that, Resort if Flippin Awesome as well as NSMB Wii. Man when I was playing NSMB Wii, even after being very skeptical about the game, it just felt so fresh and new and all I could think was man Nintendo still has this down to a "t", I hope they realize just how great the game is and continue builing on the feel of the game.

outrun2sp

These games do not come out in Japan where the machine is pioneered from. Shigero Myamato probably never heard of Ninja Bread Man.

Do some research and you will see that most of the shovelware is not turning up in japan. They release mainly good stuff.

The shovelware rubbish is for the eu and american market as that is how it is deemed fit to run it by Nintendo eu/usa. They also do not want us playing games like Dracula x and Castle of Shikigami because they think we will not be into them and would rather play Raving Rabbids, COD etc.

F Zero GX fan forever

outrun2sp

And Earthworm Jim

F Zero GX fan forever

Moco_Loco

They definitely have a point as it relates to their own situation. If you just look at the boxart and don't go to metacritic, the NewU titles look like cheaply-made fitness shovelware designed to capitalize on the success of Wii Fit. Whether the metacritic score from four reviews is accurate or not, just the screenshots were enough to tell me that actual effort was put into making the titles. The real people on the rendered background thing is a little weird, but the menu interfaces were slick and attractive. Not something you usually see with shovelware.

I think it is true that many inexperienced gamers have ended up buying bad software and become very cautious about their purchases. Although most of them aren't aware of metacritic or gaming websites, you can observe a lot of "chatter" on the Amazon forums about which games are safe buys.

Moco Loco
If you find yourself spiritually drifting (as I was for far too many years), remember that Jesus can and will walk across the water to reach you and bring you back to shore.

Ren

I have to say, I was interested in finding out which "fitness" games were worth getting (after the failure of the 1st Wiifit with no customization and no real workout; too much button mashing), and these games came up as some of the best reviewed with the nicest features, but then I find out they aren't out here in the US. Plus I had to dig pretty deep to even find any info on it at all. Not enough advertising.
I mean look at the comments here. There are people bashing them outright as shovel ware simply because they haven't heard of them before so they assume they are cheap and poorly designed. Better advertising would help the lesser known good 3rd party titles, but they don't seem to get it that Nintendo's consoles have never arbitrarily sold software just by being popular consoles.
Nintendo really can sell consoles based only on their own great software, they always have, but 3rd party devs don't seem to see that. As soon as any system starts to sell like crazy they start dumping out trash games like people will just buy anything for it (and, sure, some people will). That may have worked for a quick buck in the NES days but development costs for even metiocre games aren't what they used to be so without good advertising it's pretty tough to sell even the passable games. The other stuff, well, if theres no money put into them in the first place it's not hard to make a little profit from the parents who buy all that disney crap during holidays anyway. Sure people do like to be more informed consumers these days, but advertising is a lot more powerful than the wills of people to look up game reviews for something they don't play much anyway.

Ren

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.