Wii Forum

Topic: What size TV do you play your wonderful Wii Games on??

Showing 61 to 80 of 129

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mjbd

61. Posted:

The best option for Wii is definately a ED/HD CRT TV. Plasma and LCD are fixed pixel, and have to upscale the signal to fit the TV. If you have a good upscaler, built in or external, you can get close, but a CRT TV with progressive scan will be the best possible picture on Wii.

mjbd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

62. Posted:

God I hate having those black bars....That alone kind of hampered the experience I had with NSMBWii.....Yet Kirby's Epic Yarn along with DKCR have them too? ugh!

Anyways, I've seen a few 32" Fullscreen Progressive scan CRT's for sale on Amazon. I'd LOVE to have progressive scan so I actually wouldn't mind the upgrade. It's just a shame there aren't any decent sized widescreen CRT's. That 480p/1080i Sony CRT that's seems to be very popular is only 34-36"(widescreen) in size which would be alot smaller from top to bottom than my current Fullscreen CRT.

But damn, that really annoys me regarding Kirby's Epic Yarns and DKCR's black bars...Because it does actually hamper the experience since it makes my screen look around 4 Inches smaller from top to bottom, and because of that the graphics just don't look as impressive. It's bad enough that every PS3 game has those evil black bars, i mean why couldn't they at least have a full screen option!?

And here I go again with that itch and temptation to just go out and get myself a 42" 720p Plasma again, just because of the PS and Widescreen of course, and 720p/HDMI for movies would really be nice aside from those 2 other things. But then I look at the drawbacks.....Lag and inferior motion. Yet I might not be too bothered by the upscaled image, depends....Aghhhh, what to dooo.

Untitled

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-42-720p-p...

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bryguy1919

63. Posted:

i play my wii on a 1993 Panasonic 32 inch tv. my wii games still look good though because the tv isnt HD. i plan on getting a 42 inch for christmas and some $80 cables that will give the wii HD output (yes, those cables do exist!!!)

PSN: brrgpfife

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Moco_Loco

64. Posted:

27" SDTV. You must press the power button 10-20 times in the morning to turn it on. It occasionally turns itself off, and the image "squeezes" itself sometimes and then self-corrects.

It has character. At least until I have enough money to replace it.

Moco Loco
If you find yourself spiritually drifting (as I was for far too many years), remember that Jesus can and will walk across the water to reach you and bring you back to shore.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

65. Posted:

Pfife-141 wrote:

i play my wii on a 1993 Panasonic 32 inch tv. my wii games still look good though because the tv isnt HD. i plan on getting a 42 inch for christmas and some $80 cables that will give the wii HD output (yes, those cables do exist!!!)

42" Plasma? And are you talking about that HD Scaling HDMI Wii cable that came out about a year ago? Didn't it actually make just a mild difference and introduced more lag? I could be wrong. Anyways, apperantly it makes the colors even more richer and deep, and give the overall PQ a clearer and cleaner look. And VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler is going for $59.99 now....I'm just wondering if it really does introduce more lag.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bryguy1919

66. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Pfife-141 wrote:

i play my wii on a 1993 Panasonic 32 inch tv. my wii games still look good though because the tv isnt HD. i plan on getting a 42 inch for christmas and some $80 cables that will give the wii HD output (yes, those cables do exist!!!)

42" Plasma? And are you talking about that HD Scaling HDMI Wii cable that came out about a year ago? Didn't it actually make just a mild difference and introduced more lag? I could be wrong. Anyways, apperantly it makes the colors even more richer and deep, and give the overall PQ a clearer and cleaner look. And VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler is going for $59.99 now....I'm just wondering if it really does introduce more lag.

probably an LCD and yes i am talking about the $60 VD-W3 cables (not sure about the lag rumors). i saw a noticible difference in some comparison screens using the VD-W3 cables. i trying to get my wii to look as close to HD consoles as possible!

Edited on by bryguy1919

PSN: brrgpfife

AuthorMessage
Avatar

R-L-A-George

67. Posted:

32"(That was what I told it was, though it seems bigger) Vizio LCD HD.

Pokemon Black: 2150 8208 3279 Soul Silver: 3094 9507 1275 Platinum: 0044 9189 6528

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1459-7893 | Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter: R_L_A_G67252

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

68. Posted:

Pfife-141 wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Pfife-141 wrote:

i play my wii on a 1993 Panasonic 32 inch tv. my wii games still look good though because the tv isnt HD. i plan on getting a 42 inch for christmas and some $80 cables that will give the wii HD output (yes, those cables do exist!!!)

42" Plasma? And are you talking about that HD Scaling HDMI Wii cable that came out about a year ago? Didn't it actually make just a mild difference and introduced more lag? I could be wrong. Anyways, apperantly it makes the colors even more richer and deep, and give the overall PQ a clearer and cleaner look. And VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler is going for $59.99 now....I'm just wondering if it really does introduce more lag.

probably an LCD and yes i am talking about the $60 VD-W3 cables (not sure about the lag rumors). i saw a noticible difference in some comparison screens using the VD-W3 cables. i trying to get my wii to look as close to HD consoles as possible!

Well I hate to burst your bubble, but that cable isn't going to make the Wii look HD. :p
Just a tad clearer/smoother and will give deeper and richer colors, that's all. But again if it introduces more lag I'd pass on it.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

69. Posted:

Anyways, I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a Samsung 50" 720p or 1080p Plasma. :)
But I'm wondering if Wii games will look worse on the 1080p set because there's more scaling involved, and because of that would there be more lag? Either gaming on a 50" Plasma will make Wii games feel more immersive, grand, epic and as if you're playing in a whole new world....OR, well....They'll look really ugly.lol

But really, I wish I could just have the 50" plasma for movies, and use my CRT for videogames...But there's not enough room. So right now I'm trying to figure out a way to switch the 2 whenever I want to watch a movie or a play a game. It just seems like too much of a hastle though. ugh.lol I wouldn't be having this problem if the Wii was an HD console! :p

And I'm just tired of watching movies on my Dinky 32" SD CRT....Let alone the extra black bars during movies make the screen look even tiner, not exactly immersive haha.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bryguy1919

70. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Pfife-141 wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Pfife-141 wrote:

i play my wii on a 1993 Panasonic 32 inch tv. my wii games still look good though because the tv isnt HD. i plan on getting a 42 inch for christmas and some $80 cables that will give the wii HD output (yes, those cables do exist!!!)

42" Plasma? And are you talking about that HD Scaling HDMI Wii cable that came out about a year ago? Didn't it actually make just a mild difference and introduced more lag? I could be wrong. Anyways, apperantly it makes the colors even more richer and deep, and give the overall PQ a clearer and cleaner look. And VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler is going for $59.99 now....I'm just wondering if it really does introduce more lag.

probably an LCD and yes i am talking about the $60 VD-W3 cables (not sure about the lag rumors). i saw a noticible difference in some comparison screens using the VD-W3 cables. i trying to get my wii to look as close to HD consoles as possible!

Well I hate to burst your bubble, but that cable isn't going to make the Wii look HD. :p
Just a tad clearer/smoother and will give deeper and richer colors, that's all. But again if it introduces more lag I'd pass on it.

I know it wont be true HD. Im just trying to get a clearer/smoother screen with deeper and richer colors like you said. Havent heard too many lag complaints so my fingers are crossed.

PSN: brrgpfife

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

71. Posted:

vonseux wrote:

You`ll get more pixelated graphics... but also more colorful and clear ones. Dont buy that hdmi cable, stick with the component since theese big tvs alrealdy have shitty upscale.
Kirby Epic Yarn dont have black bars, it has red yarn bars (!!)
Bit.Trip series also get bars on 4:3 but looks AWESOME on a big tv

lol. Kirby's Epic yarn has 'red Yarn bars'? Um..Cool? hehe I hate those annoying widescreen bars period....Again why can't they have an optional fullscreen mode? It kind of forces you to almost run out and buy an HDTV because of it. Because again those bars hamper the entire experience since it makes your screen smaller AND the graphics don't seem as big and impressive because again, the screen is smaller because of the black bars.

Anything under a 32" Fullscreen just isn't for me. Gaming on my brother's 27" CRT was in no way as fun or as engaging, plus the detail was less noticable in Super Mario Galaxy. Wii games just don't look that impressive on the smaller TV's.

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Killamancer

72. Posted:

52 inch samsung plasma tv.

3ds FC : 3823 - 8527 - 1863
Pokemon White FC : 3739 - 8843 - 9193

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

73. Posted:

vonseux wrote:

NSMBw is almost unplayable on a 4:3 CRT, i agree

I believe that some games are programed in a way that 'cutting' off the borders to be full screen on a 4:3 display would affect gameplay. Think BEAT for example, you could never resize the screen becuse the player NEEDS to know the objects movement for far.
As for NSMBw, DKCr and Kirby, the multiplayer nature of the game would be severely affected in 4:3 display

I get what you're saying, but for 'single' player regarding NSMBWii, DKCR and Kirby the option to have 4:3 should be included. I can totaly understand the need for widescrenn for multiplayer, especially for NSMBWii....But still the option to have 4:3 would be nice.

I need some help with something though. Should I keep my 32" 4:3 CRT for Wii gaming, or should i get a 50" 720p Samsung CRT? I mean I basically want the 50" for movies and not for games, but i can't have 2's TV's in the same room/spot so I'm basically screwed. I blame this on the Wii for not being HD, yargh! :p

With the 50" I'd get Progressive Scan, Widescreen and a huge image....weather that's good or bad I'm about to find out haha.
I may even get the Wii HD upscaler cable, but I'm not sure. I'm more worried about the lag if anything...But again i don't care about gaming that much for this HDTV, it's for movies...I just need the space somehow, you know to swap TV's when I want to game or watch movies.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rob_mc_1

74. Posted:

Pfife-141 wrote:

I know it wont be true HD. Im just trying to get a clearer/smoother screen with deeper and richer colors like you said. Havent heard too many lag complaints so my fingers are crossed.

Now your blocky NES virtual console will have sharper corners on them pixels.WooHoo! What's even better is that those 16 colours will be so much better. Cyan will never be the same.

Edited on by Rob_mc_1

♠♦♣

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ren

75. Posted:

I'm playing on a 65" Mitsubishi HD TV (it's DLP rear projection so it's thin but not "flat") and usually only WW or VC games but I still love the bigness of it. I don't think it matters if its 1080p or 720p, the Wii only outputs 480p at it's best.

You just need to use composite cables and keep the TV in the closest mode to that. Most HD sets will just see that it's that and put it in that mode, otherwise put it there and make sure the Wii is set for that. I guess you could put it on 1080 or something but it would look bad or no different. Sure, there are 'jaggies' but they are very sharp jaggies and that's more charming to me than big blurry lines.
It's weird, I'm pretty old fashioned but when I found a super deal and knew it was only for movies and Nintendo it was so worth it. As long as I see crisp edges where they're supposed to be I'm not too picky about other image issues unless they're REALLY bad and obvious like distortion from a wrong frame size or something. i think anything 40" or bigger makes gaming overly addictive, so I been kinda re-living my teen years since the Wii came out.
Can't see how kids with a 360 or PS3 get anything done at all, but then waggle in front of a big screen is way more fun to me than sports or RPG from a lay-z-boy.

Ren

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

76. Posted:

I agree Ren Anything less thatn 40" if we're talking WideScreen is a no no in my books for the Wii. 40" and up makes the experience far more immersive, fun and amazing. If we're talking Fullscreen 32" seems to be the perfect fit, anything below(again) just doesn't cut it in my opinion.

And to those still using those basic 'composite' cables....God bless your little soul.lol I even feel worse for those who game on an HDTV with composite cables. It's component or nothing baby. ;)

Hell, I was just playing around with Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition and the first Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii today and for the hell of it I kept switching between composite and component, good lord what a difference. I've forgotten how bad composite looks....The Composite cables made the games look blurry/fuzzy, the color looked washed out and everything looked darker brightness wise. I then switched to component and wowy! A much clearer/sharper image, the colors looked vibrant, colorful and beautiful, and the brightness was sky high. HDMI takes it even up a notch, but the Wii doesn't have one so boo hoo.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ren

77. Posted:

whoops. yeah, i meant component also. If you're on an HD set theres really no excuse / reason for composite. they're cheap and it's a world of difference. On an SD set I understand. A good CRT 30" TV does have it's charm too, if you're actually playing an older console.
Also for anyone that hasn't and has a nice HD setup and good true surround sound, do your self a favor and set aside a night or two to play Shattered Memories to the end once. It's not all action, but very neat and immersive. best survival horror I've played in a long time; less a "splatter film" thing than most fancy new gore games and more "jump out of your seat" scary. I was way impressed. The Wii-mote will always have a special place for certain games, even in this age of HD gaming. (like my first playthrough of RE 1 way back in the day on PS1 that started all that "survival horror" stuff)

Ren

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Big_A2

78. Posted:

I think it's a 32" Plasma. Not too sure, ‘cause I have no idea what inches are. It used to be an old SD TV that I’ve had for as long as I can remember, but it started making the random flashes of yellow colours, so in the summer of 2008 Santa got me a widescreen. Plugged in the Wii, loaded up Brawl, and as soon as my parents would drive me to the shops I grabbed component cables.

I do miss my old TV though... * sniff *

Edited on by Big_A2

My Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

79. Posted:

Ren wrote:

whoops. yeah, i meant component also. If you're on an HD set theres really no excuse / reason for composite. they're cheap and it's a world of difference. On an SD set I understand. A good CRT 30" TV does have it's charm too, if you're actually playing an older console.
Also for anyone that hasn't and has a nice HD setup and good true surround sound, do your self a favor and set aside a night or two to play Shattered Memories to the end once. It's not all action, but very neat and immersive. best survival horror I've played in a long time; less a "splatter film" thing than most fancy new gore games and more "jump out of your seat" scary. I was way impressed. The Wii-mote will always have a special place for certain games, even in this age of HD gaming. (like my first playthrough of RE 1 way back in the day on PS1 that started all that "survival horror" stuff)

The only problem I had with Silent Hill: Shattered Memorise aside from the fact that it wasn't scary, only had 1 type of enemy who looked incredibly generic and insanely stock and the 'no combat' were the Nightmares. Aside from that, i enjoyed everything else. LOVED the IR Controls regarding the flash light and the super fun(yet incredibly simple) IR/motion controlled and interactive puzzles and environments. But really, the atmosphere in this game as well as the score for the most part just wasn't up to Silent Hill Standards. It honestly didn't even really FEEL like a Silent Hill game. I see it as an 8/10 for sure, but like I said there were a few things that really irked me about it.

The only thing this game did right for me were the Wii's IR controls regarding the flashlight and interactive environments and puzzles, because without them this game would seriously suffer big time. I can't imagine playing this on the PS2. :p

Anyways! Too bad the Wii doesn't do Dolby Digital and 'true' 5.1
Instead DPLII is the best it can do, and the 5.1 is anamorphic isn't it? Because I have a killer 5.1 surround sound set up, with a $400 Sub using a digital connection and DTS HD Master sound for Bluray, and it sounds absolutely incredible. DTS master completely destroys Dolby Digital and it makes DPLII utterly laughable. My PS3 games sound great as well, but I think most PS3 games are infact DD, yet there are a few that are actually are DTS Master.

Anyways, if you guys don't have a 5.1 setup or a receiver using home theatre headphones for the Wii 'again' you are seriously missing out. it's a night and day experience. I'm so glad I'm anal when it comes to having the best possible picture and sound hehe. I couldn't imagine playing the Wii on a small tv using standard composite cables and listening to the sound just coming from the TV.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Big_A2

80. Posted:

Thought I should post this here. Ever since I got my new TV, I've noticed some weird thing going on with the sprites in Mega Man 9. They don't look completely even, as though they don't quite "fit" into the pixels on the screen. I don't think this was an issue with my old TV. Has anyone else had this problem? It's not too big of deal, but something I've been wondering about. Does it have something to do with the resolution of my TV screen not matching the resolution of my Wii? FYI, my TV's resolution is 1920 x 1080.

It's also there in Mega Man 10, but it's not as noticeable, since the graphics look kinda blurred over compared to Mega Man 9.

Edited on by Big_A2

My Backloggery