Forums

Topic: VT 2009, TW PGA Tour 10, GS Tennis - Impressions Thread

Posts 41 to 60 of 78

Moai_Head

Not necessarily - Sega Superstars Tennis is harder than both games and it's far from realistic, or accurate. There are some definite quirks to GST that make it tough to get used to that have nothing to do with realism.

Moai_Head

LinktotheFuture

@Moai Head--Good point, but I think Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis are pretty realistic.

The chickens are restless.
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5282-6926

Machu

To all the peeps who have been playing GST or T10. I'm so jealous! GST out in a couple o' days, but I gotta wait 3 weeks for Tiger!

Rawr!

KnucklesSonic8

Yay, a nod to SEGA Superstars Tennis.
I love SST and wait, did you say it's harder than GST? That might be saying a lot since I'm really good at SST and don't find it too difficult even when facing CPU's on the hardest difficulty but facing Dr. Eggman in the Special Match is really tough, that's for sure but oh SO much fun.

KnucklesSonic8

Moai_Head

When I say "harder" I'm talking specifically about the motion controls, which I personally find terrible in SST. Getting the ball to go where it was supposed to felt so counter-intuitive. I'm glad Sumo Digital totally redesigned the controls for VT2009.

Moai_Head

Watchful_Eye

According to Amazon.de, Virtua Tennis 09 for Wii and PC have been delayed for another week in Europe (now June 19th). I guess it happened because of the tons of bug reports in the PS3/XBox360 Version..

Hard for me since I am appreciating this game for weeks Better than a bugged game though, of course.

Edited on by Watchful_Eye

Watchful_Eye

Rizzo

Moai+Head wrote:

That side-by-side article should be up in about 24 hours, for those who care.

So where's that article? Reviews of both games are still quite scarce.

Edited on by Rizzo

Rizzo

Atlantis1982

Well after playing this for a good while; I am really not getting some good swinging results in TW10. Most of my shots are around 70-85% and really draw and fade. Really not sure what I am doing wrong since I do not feel that I am twisting the Wiimote+MP when I swing (maybe after the point where you make contact with the ball, but I really don't think it should matter).

I did switched to the Classic Putting cause I just don't understand the Precision mode at all when it comes to this game. When at times I feel I am just tapping the ball it just blazes way past the hole and onto the other side the green. Even then, I just don't get the greens at all, I thought I am reading them right but I still fail to get the ball into the pocket. I kind of feel they are a bit random, but I think its just me misreading them. Just overall, need more practicing: both short and the long game.

No, I do not play golf in real life, but that does not mean I am denied to play this great game.

Edited on by Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982

Moai_Head

Rizzo wrote:

Moai+Head wrote:

I decided to take the extra time to try both games online so that I can add those impressions to the article. It'll be up sometime in the next eight hours or so.

As for individual reviews, James is doing VT2009 and I'm not sure who's doing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 offhand. I was doing GST and may still be, I'm not entirely sure.

Moai_Head

KnucklesSonic8

@Rizzo: Especially for VT 2009.
@Moai Head: Terrible motion controls? Hardly. But if you can notice an improvement then that's good.

As for TW PGA Tour 10, keep in mind that your player has to level up progressively as well before you start to notice big improvements. How you play obviously makes a big difference too. And clearly, you're doing something wrong with the Putting because it's near-perfect from what I've been told.

Edited on by KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8

Rizzo

Moai+Head wrote:

Rizzo wrote:

Moai+Head wrote:

I decided to take the extra time to try both games online so that I can add those impressions to the article. It'll be up sometime in the next eight hours or so.

As for individual reviews, James is doing VT2009 and I'm not sure who's doing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 offhand. I was doing GST and may still be, I'm not entirely sure.

Oh cruel moai head, why must you tease us so!

Edited on by Rizzo

Rizzo

Moai_Head

@pixelman - that depends on when the review copy arrives. Next week sometime, I imagine.

@Rizzo - I'll level with ya - I regularly work night shifts, but last night I was given the night off so instead of being up past midnight to throw up the article like I usually am (being an Aussie I tend to submit most stuff at that hour as that's when you limeys are most active) I decided to go to bed instead. Exhilirating, eh?

It's done but I'm having issues submitting it right now - I think it's too long. I honestly don't know how to condense it without it becoming a bunch of bullet points, so if that turns out to be the case it may not happen at all. Fingers crossed!

Moai_Head

KnucklesSonic8

If you're having trouble, maybe post it on GameFAQS?

KnucklesSonic8

Moai_Head

Not gonna happen - it's Nintendo Life or bust for the ol' Moai Head.

Moai_Head

KnucklesSonic8

lol. Well I'd hate to see you not post it at all simply because of some formatting issues. That seems rather silly.

KnucklesSonic8

Moai_Head

The issue has now been solved - missed an italics tag and the article divided by zero. Still, it looks might it might be longer than both reviews put together so I should probably tone it down a bit either way.

Moai_Head

y2josh

No need to shorten it if there is no need Mr. Head
Oh and personally I haven't got to play anymore of GST due to work and sleep. I will over the weekend though, but I'd say most people will know what they need to know by then lol

Edited on by y2josh

y2josh

KnucklesSonic8

Really, that's okay. So long as its informative and helpful, that's all that matters to me. I'm not like other people, I don't mind reading lots of text.

KnucklesSonic8

retired_account

Just got my copy of Grand Slam about 3 hours ago. It took me about two hours to get the feel of the controls, and I'm doing pretty good right now. At first I had some calibration problems, but as long as you just hold the remote still for a few seconds every point, you're fine.

I played online as a guest, and won! Woot! Some people obviously are liking online; I checked the scoreboards and a few of them had nearly two hundred matches logged! O_O I'll get my account set up some time today.

The local multiplayer is great, and my bro had a hella fun time even without WM+. (I haven't tried it without it yet, though.)

Pros:
Great gameplay and control, after about two to three hours of gameplay
Easy to pick up and play without WM+
Good selection of players
Amazing online
Brilliant local multiplayer

Cons:
A steep learning curve. It'll take you a couple hours to start feeling at home with the controls
Learning to control your player with the nunchuck can be frustrating
Auto-movement is a joke
Poor player creator
Less than stellar career mode

Right now, I'd give it about an 8 out of 10, though I'm sure after I play it more the score will bump up five points or so.

Overall, a solid start in EA's new Tennis franchise.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.