Forums

Topic: The Last Story

Posts 181 to 200 of 424

misswliu81

kkslider5552000 wrote:

a lot of people has said it's Final Fantasy XII without some of the problems of Final Fantasy XII

some have even gone on record on saying the quality of the last story is so great, it is what the last 3, 4 final fantasy games ought to have been like.

misswliu81

Blaze

The reviews coming in seem to be slightly disappointing. I have a subscription to NintendoGamer and they gave the game 85%. ONM game The Last Story 86%. A funny thing that I found in the ONM review is that they said the graphics weren't that good (?) and the NintendoGamer review said combat can get manic seeing as to both dodge and attack you have to tilt the nunchuck, so if your surrounded by enemies, you end up madly slashing away in the hope to come out alive.

Another thing is that apparently the game is extremely easy. NintendoGamer said they died once throughout the entire 20 hour campaign. I'll still be picking up the limited edition bundle day one, but those scores do make me worry a bit. Also, is anyone else intrigued about that 6 player online mode? You can battle against bosses cooperatively or against other players!

The Blazeloggery~
Mah Animelist~

3DS Friend Code: 4914-4746-2130 | Nintendo Network ID: MiracleBlaze

edhe

I'd like to know if there are any sidequests or New Game bonuses like in Xenoblade. NGamer didn't seem to make any reference to that in their review which is mildly dissapointing.

20 hours isn't enough for a JRPG that was hyped to such a degree as The Last Story.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

FonistofCruxis

I'm not disappointed as I was expecting scores like this after all the research I had done. I knew it would only be around 20 hours and that it wouldn't get close to the greatness of XBC but it still looks like a really good game. I was disappointed back when I found out about its length and other aspects like the lack of an overworld and the lack of exploration though.

@edhe The last story has one big town which is like the game's hub as you will go there in between chapters and you can do sidequests around the town but some of the sidequests will take you to dungeons. Also, there will normally be someone to talk to or some other event that will trigger the next chapter of the story.

Edited on by FonistofCruxis

kkslider5552000

edhe wrote:

20 hours isn't enough for a JRPG that was hyped to such a degree as The Last Story.

except a lot of the best JRPGs are 20 hours long and this could mean they avoid a lot of pointless bs that even the best long games (Sword, Skyward; Scrolls, Elder) usually have.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

edhe

From the father of Final Fantasy though, you'd expect something a bit longer lasting.

Anyway, Xenoblade spoiled me in that regard, and as long as Last Story has some diversions and replayability, I won't be too fussed.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

BenAV

No way it could be anywhere near as amazing as Xenoblade Chronicles.
I'm certain that it'll be a really enjoyable experience though.
Can't wait!

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Bankai

MiracleBlaze wrote:

The reviews coming in seem to be slightly disappointing. I have a subscription to NintendoGamer and they gave the game 85%. ONM game The Last Story 86%. A funny thing that I found in the ONM review is that they said the graphics weren't that good (?) and the NintendoGamer review said combat can get manic seeing as to both dodge and attack you have to tilt the nunchuck, so if your surrounded by enemies, you end up madly slashing away in the hope to come out alive.

Another thing is that apparently the game is extremely easy. NintendoGamer said they died once throughout the entire 20 hour campaign. I'll still be picking up the limited edition bundle day one, but those scores do make me worry a bit. Also, is anyone else intrigued about that 6 player online mode? You can battle against bosses cooperatively or against other players!

They were being pretty generous to the game too, on the basis that they're Nintendo-only publications and this is one of the few games with any hype behind it at all for the Wii this year.

It's a weak game, with an uninteresting plot, and a art style that makes it obvious that the game wishes it was a HD game. It's no where near as open as Xenoblade, nor as epic, and the combat system isn't that special.

I've got a English copy on the way, because I could still be wrong based on missing some meaning thanks to my imperfect Japanese, but this and Pandora's Tower are by far the most disappointing games I've played on the Wii.

Edited on by Bankai

LordTendoboy

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

MiracleBlaze wrote:

They were being pretty generous to the game too, on the basis that they're Nintendo-only publications and this is one of the few games with any hype behind it at all for the Wii this year.

It's a weak game, with an uninteresting plot, and a art style that makes it obvious that the game wishes it was a HD game. It's no where near as open as Xenoblade, nor as epic, and the combat system isn't that special.

I've got a English copy on the way, because I could still be wrong based on missing some meaning thanks to my imperfect Japanese, but this and Pandora's Tower are by far the most disappointing games I've played on the Wii.

So all that hard work that Sakaguchi put into the game is for nothing? He failed to live up to his pedigree as being the father of Final Fantasy?

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

TTGlider

I read all the import reviews I could find of TLS. The few I found (about 6?) were of the "good, not great" verdict. The Japanese-language user-review site wiimk2.net has TLS at a a D rank. Xenoblade has a rating very few reach there... S (the highest). I'll still buy TLS if it comes to North America.

TTGlider

FonistofCruxis

Here's a video showing off some of the English voice acting along with some videos that show off some of the areas of Lazulos island. It sounds like they've done a good job with the voice acting just like in XBC.

Cia

TTGlider wrote:

I read all the import reviews I could find of TLS. The few I found (about 6?) were of the "good, not great" verdict. The Japanese-language user-review site wiimk2.net has TLS at a a D rank. Xenoblade has a rating very few reach there... S (the highest). I'll still buy TLS if it comes to North America.

That's because Xenoblade is the best game of this generation (and one of the greatest ever). People should try to enjoy The Last Story with it's own merits when it's out, and not compare it to Xenoblade.

Cia

Bankai

That's because Xenoblade is the best game of this generation (and one of the greatest ever). People should try to enjoy The Last Story with it's own merits when it's out, and not compare it to Xenoblade.

Merits, or lack thereof.

The Last Story's problem is that it pales as a JRPG, not as a JRPG compared to Xenoblade. It's quite simply not that great.

But then I own a PS3 so I get to play good JRPGs.

LzWinky

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

Merits, or lack thereof.

The Last Story's problem is that it pales as a JRPG, not as a JRPG compared to Xenoblade. It's quite simply not that great.

Not everyone in the west has the luxury of playing a wide array of JRPGs. I honestly couldn't give a crap if a game is weak compared to another. If the game is good, it's still good.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Blaze

Huh? The four reviews I've read of The Last Story said it was great.
Meristation: 9/10
XGN: 9.0/10
ONM: 86%
NintendoGamer: 85%

They're not necessarily up there with Xenoblade, but TLS is definitely receiving critical acclaim.

The Blazeloggery~
Mah Animelist~

3DS Friend Code: 4914-4746-2130 | Nintendo Network ID: MiracleBlaze

Cia

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

Merits, or lack thereof.

I own a PS3 too. Could you suggest some great JRPG for it? Everything i've seen has left an impression of being pretty uninspired, but on the other hand, even the most uninspired JRPG is a masterpiece of storytelling and drama compared to most of the western RPG:s.
My taste in JRPGs: Final Fantasy 7,8 and 9 were masterpieces. Same goes to Chrono Trigger and Xenoblade. Grandia was great. FF 10 was decent. Tales of Symphonia was decent. Final Fantasy 12 was crap because of uninteresting story and lame atmosphere.

Edited on by Cia

Cia

nick_gc

So GAME's online shop has cancelled my pre-order of the limited edition version of Last Story. Four days before its release. I've placed a pre-order with shopto.net so I hope I get it. I'll be so peeved if I don't.

3DS Friend Code: 3780-9004-3410
Wii Friend Code: 1025-8473-1612-7725
[Tell me if you add me!]
My miserable excuse for a Tumblr

edhe

@nick_gc

Why?

I just checked my email account to see if mine had been cancelled, and fortunately, it hadn't. It wasn't the limited edition like yours though.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.