Forums

Topic: The Conduit 2 Details Revealed

Posts 281 to 300 of 372

BulbasaurusRex

Jon+Wahlgren wrote:

What exactly does that have to do with the bounding box?

If you're not saying you could only change where your character looks when pointing offscreen, what are you saying?

EDIT: Oh wait, I get it. You're saying what MotionPlus adds over not using it. So then how are the controls not as good as Goldeneye?

Edited on by BulbasaurusRex

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

JonWahlgren

When MotionPlus is not in use and you pull the cursor to the side of the screen to turn, the aiming reticule locks to the last place that the sensor bar "saw" it. When you use MotionPlus, you can move the reticule all around the edge of the screen in this situation — it's not locked in to where the sensor bar last picked it up.

The bounding box has nothing to do with my feelings about the controls. I spent like 20 minutes fiddling with control options until they felt more comfortable, but even then I felt the controls were too frail and fiddly. I had to keep them in mind when playing and couldn't just have them be natural like in Metroid, GoldenEye, CoD or Red Steel.

JonWahlgren

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I dunno, I would trust the review that gives the game a lower score and DOESN'T say it's better than the first game.

Are you trusting it over all the other reviews, which all say it is better than the first game even if they didn't all score it accordingly?

I don't trust game reviews much at all and this game is completely worthless to me. Besides, they can all be wrong, they still think CoD is good.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BulbasaurusRex

Jon Wahlgren wrote:

The bounding box has nothing to do with my feelings about the controls. I spent like 20 minutes fiddling with control options until they felt more comfortable, but even then I felt the controls were too frail and fiddly. I had to keep them in mind when playing and couldn't just have them be natural like in Metroid, GoldenEye, CoD or Red Steel.

I (and most of the players in this thread) will just have to agree to disagree on that point.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

BulbasaurusRex

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I dunno, I would trust the review that gives the game a lower score and DOESN'T say it's better than the first game.

Are you trusting it over all the other reviews, which all say it is better than the first game even if they didn't all score it accordingly?

But why the hell would you say a game is better but give it a worse score when the first game came out only 2 years ago?

I wouldn't, but there are some reviewers out there who have the ridiculous notions of requiring a sequel to significantly innovate on the previous game, even on the same hardware. or take the relative genre competition into account when grading sequels.

BulbasaurusRex

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I don't trust game reviews much at all and this game is completely worthless to me. Besides, they can all be wrong, they still think CoD is good.

Then don't trust NL's review either. Try renting it.

theblackdragon

Bulbasaurus Rex wrote:

I wouldn't, but there are some reviewers out there who have the ridiculous notions of requiring a sequel to significantly innovate on the previous game, even on the same hardware. or take the relative genre competition into account when grading sequels.

i can't be the only one who finds the notion of holding a game up to its peers all that not-ridiculous, can I?

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I would like to point out I thought of the obvious thought that I guess many of them didn't review the first game so I had to edit my previous post. And added my own bias. All of this happens way too much.

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

Renting games is dead outside of Gamefly and I'm not getting Gamefly for reasons that aren't worth getting this topic off topic for. Even if I did, there are too many games I actually do want to play that I haven't .

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TheBaconator

I never had any trouble with the controls. I use the motion plus and I think the shooting controls are pin-point accurate, but that is just me. The game in my opinion is still mediocre though because the campaign is broken and is only entertaining about half the time and the multiplayer is barley decent. But the graphics are slick, and it has a great menu system. However, all that really doesn't matter if the gameplay is painfully mediocre. I guess it must just be one of those love, hate, or something in between, kind of games.

Edited on by TheBaconator

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

BulbasaurusRex

theblackdragon wrote:

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

i can't be the only one who finds the notion of holding a game up to its peers all that not-ridiculous, can I?

I'd rather be told by a review score to wait for a better game in the genre rather than get the first notable game in the genre on a system (although I do like The Conduit), and when a significantly improved sequel is about equal to its now much higher competition, I'd prefer the review score to tell me it's about as good as that competition.

BulbasaurusRex

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I would like to point out I thought of the obvious thought that I guess many of them didn't review the first game so I had to edit my previous post. And added my own bias. All of this happens way too much.

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

Renting games is dead outside of Gamefly and I'm not getting Gamefly for reasons that aren't worth getting this topic off topic for. Even if I did, there are too many games I actually do want to play that I haven't .

Even though they're almost dead, video rental stores still exist.

On top of that, Redbox is renting video games in some markets and may eventually expand, and even my library is now providing the equivalent of free video game rentals.

Aviator

If you enjoy the game that's all that matters. It Jon's opinion about the game, you don't have to agree with it, nor do you have to argue with him.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

spizzamarozzi

Jon Wahlgren wrote:

you DO sound a bit too harsh in your review though. As for the controls, I had no problems with them aswell, I just took my time to experiment with the options and no fiddling is excessive if it delivers a better experience.

Truth to be told, it looks like there's not even a positive thing about the game from your review, and even that couple of good improvements you mention, you use them as a platform to underline more flaws. I found the game enjoyable, and even if it's more of an "incredibly well made B-level game" than a "good A-level game", we are far from a 5/10. It doesn't deliver all the stuff that we expected (maybe we expected a bit too much? I mean, it's HVS after all!!) and definitely is not a game that will be remembered for years to come, but it fits nicely in Wii's library of FPSs and provides its good share of fun.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

irken004

After reading some of the other reviews on Metacritic (only because they list numerous other review sites) I do believe that NL's score doesn't seem to quite match up to the review content. As I read it, it seemed as if it was going to get a 6, maaaybe a 7. I may still consider getting this after reading some online impressions.

And has anyone received the pre-order stuff for the game? I believe it came with an art book and custom multiplayer skin.

romulux

the problem with the score is that even if the reviewer didn't like the game people should still make up their own mind whether or not they think it's good, but seeing a number that low will convince them it's not even worth trying so they never will. every point jon brought up is valid and then some but it's taken to the most negative extreme possible while still being reasonable. just saying those of you who haven't played it yet should know that the score is biased extremely low, it's the "sexist! 2/5." equivalent for this game (only not as stupid ).

i think it solidly deserves a 7, maybe the single player isn't as good as goldeneye but there are moments that are undeniably fun, it's miles ahead of the original or even red steel 2 (take away the novelty of the controls and that game would be extremely boring). it's got good multiplayer online or off and you can't overlook the huge advantages of host migration and patching it has over goldeneye. i think if you're going to go off the deep end for this game and give it a 5 then goldeneye also deserves a lower score for all of it's terrible glitches and host quits.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

BulbasaurusRex

irken004 wrote:

And has anyone received the pre-order stuff for the game? I believe it came with an art book and custom multiplayer skin.

Yeah, I got it. If it had cost extra, it wouldn't be worth it, as the in-game extras are just codes that are now on GameFAQs and elsewhere, but with it being the same price as the normal game, you get a pretty cool art book out of the deal.

So did anyone figure out if there's a health bar in this game? Even with the regenerative health and the low health warnings, it's pretty weird not to have one.

irken004

Bulbasaurus Rex wrote:

So did anyone figure out if there's a health bar in this game? Even with the regenerative health and the low health warnings, it's pretty weird not to have one.

It's not weird when most new FPS games on any console are using the same regenerative health style. Most new FPSs don't even have health bars.

Urbanhispanic

irken004 wrote:

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

It's not weird when most new FPS games on any console are using the same regenerative health style. Most new FPSs don't even have health bars.

true....except on the hardest difficulty mode, Goldeneye 007 does use a health bar and once you take enough damage, you have to rely on getting armor spread out on the levels to survive.

Proud owner of a Switch, Wii U, Wii and 3DS.

Ask me about the games I own :) I am looking to add friends on the Switch and Wii U.

3DS Friend Code: 4597-0422-2431 | Nintendo Network ID: Bx_Lounger

JonWahlgren

spizzamarozzi wrote:

you DO sound a bit too harsh in your review though. As for the controls, I had no problems with them aswell, I just took my time to experiment with the options and no fiddling is excessive if it delivers a better experience.

Truth to be told, it looks like there's not even a positive thing about the game from your review, and even that couple of good improvements you mention, you use them as a platform to underline more flaws. I found the game enjoyable, and even if it's more of an "incredibly well made B-level game" than a "good A-level game", we are far from a 5/10. It doesn't deliver all the stuff that we expected (maybe we expected a bit too much? I mean, it's HVS after all!!) and definitely is not a game that will be remembered for years to come, but it fits nicely in Wii's library of FPSs and provides its good share of fun.

I'm happy to hear that you didn't have any issues with the controls — I never felt completely comfortable with them so a lot of the time the game felt like a struggle. I had the same problem with Conduit 1 too, but not other Wii shooters.

I found it to be a perfectly average game, so I gave it as average a score as our scale mathematically allows. Our scale isn't 7-10, so a 5 doesn't mean "catastrophe."

Just because Conduit 1 got a 7 doesn't mean that this game gets a free pass to 7 or above. I found it extremely underwhelming in a lot of areas so that's what went into the review. I don't have beef with HVS, I don't revel in giving them misery — I'd rather they make great games than average ones, but when they make what I feel is an average game then I'm going to say so.

If you enjoy Conduit 2 then that's great, I wish you many happy hours with it.

Edited on by JonWahlgren

JonWahlgren

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.