Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Thread of SPOILERS

Posts 221 to 240 of 391

Adam

Playing the original with cheats is certainly fun. Frame rate is a problem, but I don't have an issue with the rest. It was designed not to need it. Wouldn't have hurt, certainly, but I wouldn't call it a problem. The repetition of rooms may not have been part of the design, but I actually like it for this. Getting lost is a constant danger and adds to the mood / atmosphere. I think for old games like this it's best to draw a map as you play, which, nerd that I am, I find part of the fun.

My main problem is how terribly annoying it is to refill your health if you do die. Someone could make the point that this adds to the sense of danger and makes it important that you do survive, but all it really does it frustrate me if I do die, and then I just quit. I think I only died once the one time I did beat it without codes. And the only reason this was possible was thanks to VC's suspend point feature. If I had tried this on an NES, I would have been forced to spend ten to fifteen minutes refilling my life every time I turned the game on. AWESOME.

Regarding Zero Mission, absolutely wonderful game, but not much of a "remake" since it strays from the original in almost every aspect and the original didn't have a plot to begin with.

Edit: Not sure how Mario Land got brought into this, but I didn't think it was anywhere near impossible, certainly not compared to Metroid.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

BobberyFan98

Kid_A, I cannot agree with you enough! It is however, probably one of the first games I've had fun WHILE using cheats Some of those puzzles and items are hard!

Also, started Hard Mode today! Glad I don't have to deal with items, but wish I had them at the same time.

-BF98

Mario Kart Wii FC: 1762-5158-8929 Name: BobberyFan
Brawl FC: 2364-1754-7283 Name: BF98
ExciteBots FC: 0990-3629-1936 Name: Bobbery

Kid_A

My friend is borrowing Other M so I'm playing through Prime for the time being (I'm on a dangerous Metroid kick. And I just had surgery so I'm just sitting around all day anyway. Why not?) but I'm really looking forward to trying hard mode once I get it back. Surprisingly, I already feel a strong urge to play through Other M again. I thought it would be one of those games that was only fun once but...now I'm thinking not.

EDIT: Was there a Game Boy Color remake of Metroid II? A Link's Awakening DX type deal? I thought I read that somewhere. I ask because it's the only Metroid game I've never played so I'm really interested in getting a copy.

Edited on by Kid_A

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Arigner

Nope, but there is Another Metroid 2 remake from a random guy that is almost finished (after 4 years and more of develloping). You can even try a demo of the game, it use the same gameplay of Zero Mission. Its really cool!

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

Goldeneye Friend Code: 0079-8601-0876

Philip_J_Reed

I don't think there was a GBC remake of Metroid II, Kid A. I think it was one of a handful of games (such as Mario Land and some few others) that actually had the color information hardwired into the GBC unit itself. Basically those games did not have color info, but when plugged into the GBC they were displayed in color, because some color overlay or something was actually stored in the GBC system itself.

If that makes sense.

But no, I don't believe they ever released an upgraded color Metroid II cartridge. Just the original which happened to display color if played on a GBC.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

the_shpydar

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

I don't think there was a GBC remake of Metroid II, Kid A. I think it was one of a handful of games (such as Mario Land and some few others) that actually had the color information hardwired into the GBC unit itself. Basically those games did not have color info, but when plugged into the GBC they were displayed in color, because some color overlay or something was actually stored in the GBC system itself.

If that makes sense.

But no, I don't believe they ever released an upgraded color Metroid II cartridge. Just the original which happened to display color if played on a GBC.

You are correct, sir. Metroid II, Kid Icarus OMaM, and a few others display a limited color palette (some sprites and environment pieces) when played on a GBA or GBC, but there was not like a "DX" version of Metroid II released.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

BulbasaurusRex

I just wish the original Metroid had a cheat that gave you invincibility but still left it up to you to find the power-ups. The only invincibility cheat the game has also gives you most of the power-ups.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

retired_account

There's a fan hack that patches color into the game. Personally I think it looks kinda crappy, but it looks better than monochrome, haha. Just google "Metroid 2 Color" on Google or YouTube to see what it looks like. :3

retired_account

Adam

I think I'd just go with the official color version. As long as the different areas are in different colors, that's all you really need. I like being able to get lost in the original Metroid since you at least know what area you're in at all times due to the color.

Come on, friends,

retired_account

The original has different colors? That's pretty sweet. I wonder if I could get it to show up on my GCN GameBoy Player.

retired_account

Adam

As Chicken and Shpydar just explained, yes. If it works on GameBoy Player, let me know. I am still somewhat tempted to get a Cube solely for the Player someday. According to Wikipedia (and I seem to remember someone on this site confirming this), it doesn't work on Super Gameboy (though it does have a "special pallette" -- I guess meaning that it has colors added, but not by area?), so hopefully you have better luck with the Player.

One thing about the monochrome though, it does enhance the horror feel the game has going for it. I would expect this to be diminished a bit with color.

Personally I'll probably just wait for the fan remake. I got far enough in the original that I'll just pretend I beat it.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Adam

A message for Aviator:
Nightmare.

Come on, friends,

Kid_A

Bulbasaurus Rex wrote:

I just wish the original Metroid had a cheat that gave you invincibility but still left it up to you to find the power-ups. The only invincibility cheat the game has also gives you most of the power-ups.

I actually liked that cheat. I played through it once with cheats on just to get a feel for where everything is. Now I'm playing through again with no cheats and I'm having a lot more fun now that I have a sense of what to do and where to go

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Aviator

Adam wrote:

A message for Aviator:
Nightmare.

Ahh, how could I forget that. That was epic in Fusion.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

NotEnoughGolds

Kid_A wrote:

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

I actually liked that cheat. I played through it once with cheats on just to get a feel for where everything is. Now I'm playing through again with no cheats and I'm having a lot more fun now that I have a sense of what to do and where to go

The most enjoyable part of the game, for me, was finally finding crucial items (in particular, the ice beam), and using them to thoroughly trounce the next section of the game.
Actually, this part was pretty sick too:
Untitled

NotEnoughGolds

Deviant_Mugen

As someone who has passed Metroid II at least five times (on an SP), I can attest to the fact that when you play it on a color-enabled GB or on the Super GameBoy, there is color added to the game. The whole game will show up in a sort of azure blue, and Samus's suit will be red-orange with yellow accents (though, in the Super GameBoy you can adjust the palette as you see fit)...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Gamesake

Everyone thinks James is the Deleter but I'm more convinced that Anthony is.

Look at the evidence. One: there's trouble with communications and James is their communications officer. So what? The comms were fried since the moment everyone set foot on the ship. Two: he gets to the exam area computer first. So what? It's not like he was someplace everyone wasn't supposed to be at. Three: he has a greasy beard. So? Four: MB kills him. Again I don't know what this is supposed to prove. MB is a bad guy. Adam Malkovich knew she wasn't the real Madeline Bergman I'm sure the other Marines were briefed too.

Anthony is the Deleter. One: he takes his sweet time getting adolescent Ridley off your face and blames his gun. Two: he says "I'll save the next shot for you.". Three: he's about to shoot you when Ridley interrupts him. Four: at the end he manages to run into you again, but looses the element of surprise he needs to delete you when the big brass recognizes he's from Mal's unit. Five: the only reason the Federation doesn't kill Anthony to keep their secret must be because Anthony was working for the Federation splinter group this whole time.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

romulux

^i don't think any of that makes sense. james is the deleter. why else would he have shot the console to wreck the bridge when you were following him? you also see some shots from his view up on the balcony while samus and mb are talking, suggesting that he was hiding until samus left to approach mb. which he did, and you know how that turned out.

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.