Wii Forum

Topic: So I got Metroid: Other M...

Showing 21 to 40 of 91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

I-U

21. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I-U wrote:

Most of the negative criticism towards Other M runs on ignorance to the game's story and history of the series, which ironically is something Other M is accused of throwing out.

...I'd strongly recommend reading the link I gave. It might contain a very worth reading rebuttal.

Why would I fully read a 20+ page write up, of a game I enjoy, that does every little thing it can to bring down the game? I've seen the article and have read well into it. About the only thing it convinced me on is that the thumbs down scene was badly done towards the beginning. Otherwise, it runs right into the problems I have with Other M's criticisms. I decided to read into his comments on the scene prior to the entrance of Sector Zero, and he ignores the fact that an unfreezable Metroid is shown in the cutscene (doesn't match the larva Adam shot) and the fact that Samus going into Sector Zero is a trap produced by MB. Edit: Also ignored is the fact that Adam shoots the larva Metroid only when it shows hostility towards Samus by preparing to latch, and leaves it be while it's simply hovering around. There are reasons for that action that involves Super Metroid and Metroid II, but you know this article is done by someone who absolutely wants to convince people that he hates the game and that they should hate the game by ignoring details that contradict the idea of the game taking a dump on the series.

People either have to leave out pieces of Other M's story or parts of the series for the complaints to really hold water. Same applies to the whole no-Varia Suit run, where both Samus and Adam are in the dark about where the mystery creature is within the sector and have to decide if they want to risk an ambush by activating the Varia Suit which has a history of delay, a history of requiring Samus to stay still in-game and a history of being only upgraded within non-hostile locations. Which would Samus suffer from more a few excessive heat rooms or an ambush by the mystery creature? The Varia Suit got activated when it was absolutely necessary, the Goyagma encounter at the volcano crater. These points are ignored all the time to justify how the segment is a problem.

Edited on by I-U

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordJumpMad

22. Posted:

bezerker99 wrote:

LordJumpMad wrote:

I found Other M to be fun as a game, and they had the right idea until....They gave it that god awful story.
Untitled
Other M felt like to me a guilty pleasures, that I shouldn't have enjoy it as much as I did, but for $5 bucks I said why not?

I remember that was the same year when Halo 3: ODST came out, and I already had Metroid Other M pre-order. The day before the game was release, the review were in for it, and it wasn't good. So I quickly went to change my pre-order to Halo 3: ODST which in the end, was better game then Other M but worst Halo game.

What review did you read? The one here at NL gave it a stunning 9/10.

G4's X-Play review, which can no longer be found on youtube.
I wonder why.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bezerker99

23. Posted:

I-U wrote:

Most of the negative criticism towards Other M runs on ignorance to the game's story and history of the series, which ironically is something Other M is accused of throwing out.

Not so with me, however. I've been a big Metroid fan since the very beginning. I've still got my original NES cartridge that I used to play back in 1986.

I realize you weren't directing your comment at me but I have a laundry list of complaints against Other M and why it's not worthy of being in the esteemed Metroid franchise. I'm not going to list them now because I don't have time.

Anyways, cheers~

Edited on by bezerker99

"And [Sting!!!], I'm not coming to show YOU or anyone else who the better wrestler is. I'm coming...to hurt you...for real...for a long, looong time. WOOOOO!!!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
AC:NL Dream Address: 4400-2611-9546
My name in a game!!!
My Bird Mania Christmas 3D review

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scanning

24. Posted:

Well. After playing it for a few days, it isn't so bad. It's actually a bit fun. But the gameplay quality still isn't up to par with typical Nintendo standards.

Edited on by Scanning

Bye Bye.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

faint

25. Posted:

I liked it. Not in the great category but in the very good category. A lot of people have been unfairly hateful to it.

friend code: 0103-9004-2456

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

26. Posted:

I loved it. Switching the remote between horizontal and targeting positions was pure fun and unique.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Otto-Soq

27. Posted:

bezerker99 wrote:

I-U wrote:

Most of the negative criticism towards Other M runs on ignorance to the game's story and history of the series, which ironically is something Other M is accused of throwing out.

Not so with me, however. I've been a big Metroid fan since the very beginning. I've still got my original NES cartridge that I used to play back in 1986.

I realize you weren't directing your comment at me but I have a laundry list of complaints against Other M and why it's not worthy of being in the esteemed Metroid franchise. I'm not going to list them now because I don't have time.

Anyways, cheers~

I like it, that you always are in war of Other M. When there is a tiny gap somewhere for an oppinion about the game, you say you hate it. Because of your hate, i am very curious now for playing it. ;)

3ds code: 3840-5310-3696
psn: Eefje&Otto

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

28. Posted:

I-U wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I-U wrote:

Most of the negative criticism towards Other M runs on ignorance to the game's story and history of the series, which ironically is something Other M is accused of throwing out.

...I'd strongly recommend reading the link I gave. It might contain a very worth reading rebuttal.

Why would I fully read a 20+ page write up, of a game I enjoy, that does every little thing it can to bring down the game? I've seen the article and have read well into it. About the only thing it convinced me on is that the thumbs down scene was badly done towards the beginning. Otherwise, it runs right into the problems I have with Other M's criticisms. I decided to read into his comments on the scene prior to the entrance of Sector Zero, and he ignores the fact that an unfreezable Metroid is shown in the cutscene (doesn't match the larva Adam shot) and the fact that Samus going into Sector Zero is a trap produced by MB. Edit: Also ignored is the fact that Adam shoots the larva Metroid only when it shows hostility towards Samus by preparing to latch, and leaves it be while it's simply hovering around. There are reasons for that action that involves Super Metroid and Metroid II, but you know this article is done by someone who absolutely wants to convince people that he hates the game and that they should hate the game by ignoring details that contradict the idea of the game taking a dump on the series.

People either have to leave out pieces of Other M's story or parts of the series for the complaints to really hold water. Same applies to the whole no-Varia Suit run, where both Samus and Adam are in the dark about where the mystery creature is within the sector and have to decide if they want to risk an ambush by activating the Varia Suit which has a history of delay, a history of requiring Samus to stay still in-game and a history of being only upgraded within non-hostile locations. Which would Samus suffer from more a few excessive heat rooms or an ambush by the mystery creature? The Varia Suit got activated when it was absolutely necessary, the Goyagma encounter at the volcano crater. These points are ignored all the time to justify how the segment is a problem.

this is pretty much the 2nd defense of the game I've heard that isn't a broad statement that was rebuttled ASAP. The fans need more people like you, because their inability to construct a worthwhile argument is what made me turn from apathy to annoyance towards the game.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WiiLovePeace

29. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

I loved it. Switching the remote between horizontal and targeting positions was pure fun and unique.

^This.

Currently Playing: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. (3DS)
Recently Completed: Zelda: Minish Cap (Wii U VC)
Recently Bought: Pac-man Collection (Wii U VC)

3DS Friend Code: 1676-4979-6052 | Nintendo Network ID: WiiLovePeace | Twitter: WiiLovePeace

AuthorMessage
Avatar

swordx

30. Posted:

I liked it, but other Metroids are better.

swordx

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

31. Posted:

Huh, I liked it.

To blessed to be stressed.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SKTTR

32. Posted:

Man, Other M was really fantastic, except for the ambient soundtrack. It was a different tone, fitting, with some great subtle arrangements, but Super Metroid's and Prime's scores had those instant classic tunes.

I liked the story of Other M a lot. Actually that's what I always imagined Samus was like. A young hot chick on the outside, a terrible wreck from the inside. From too many hours left alone in space and Metroids sucking her brain of course, not to mention spinning around in a morph ball every so often. No wonder she's totally lost with only her feelings to accompany her. With all her battles from chronologically previous entries and even the official anime canon intact. Nintendo put great effort into making Samus the loneliest loner girl alienkiller born in space ever. Excellent stuff.
I especially like how some wannabe Metroid fans are disappointed with the way Samus character evolved in Other M. I'm just glad that Nintendo did the right thing with Metroids latest installment by releasing a proper Super Metroid sequel, and didn't listen to these Prime kids that got four egoshooters with rather uninteresting plots in a row.

I also loved the cutscenes. Some of the best quality cutscenes ever. The ending is a pure beauty.

Edited on by SKTTR

scatterkid.weebly.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

33. Posted:

SKTTR wrote:

didn't listen to these Prime kids that got four egoshooters with rather uninteresting plots in a row.

thank you for reminding me that I am a fratboy loser dudebro and/or the stereotypical awful 12 year old on XBL for enjoying some of the most well crafted games I've ever played. I HAD SOMEHOW FORGOTTEN!

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bulbousaur

34. Posted:

Get rid of the story (or at least add a skip cinematic button), and put in nunchuck support. Then you would have a really good game. But as it is, its just an ok game.

Bulbousaur

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scanning

35. Posted:

I like @SKTTR 's point of view. Seems pretty right for her to be that way being alone all the time. And the Prime games had pretty boring plots. And with the exception of Prime 3, they were all pretty boring games. However, all 4 of them felt better control/gameplay-wise than Other M.

Bye Bye.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

I-U

36. Posted:

She's the way she is in Other M because of being alone? Really? What about the fact she saw the infant Metroid killed before her, that her actions lead to the destruction of Zebes and that the Space Pirates are no more? She's lost a lot of her identity going into the events of Other M. I'm not going to bother touching what was said about the Prime games, though Metroid Prime Hunters puts Other M to shame in plot, as it doesn't even seem a story directed right towards either of you left much of an impact so I can expect a mostly optional story had no chance.

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

AuthorMessage
Avatar

V8_Ninja

37. Posted:

For the couple hours I played of the game I thought the combat was alright. I was fine with the non-exploratory nature of the game and the action was engaging enough. But of course, that story just got boring and illogical. Also, Sakamoto did a fantastic job of ruining what was a mostly alright character.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HawkeyeWii

38. Posted:

I still don't understand why this game has such a bad rep beyond the stupid whining of Samus.
This was, in my opinion one of the better Wii games out there. Cheaply made!??? Are you kidding me? This had amazing graphics and gameplay. It may not be as re-playable as say Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, but it is still a blast.

Wii U username: KitKat_H12 (Unfortunately HawkeyeWii was already taken some how)
I STREAM LIVE GAMEPLAY AND SPEEDRUNS OF GAMES ON MY twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/hawkeyewii

Friend Codes3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter: HawkeyeWii

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HawkeyeWii

39. Posted:

Il-Fortissimo wrote:

I like @SKTTR 's point of view. Seems pretty right for her to be that way being alone all the time. And the Prime games had pretty boring plots. And with the exception of Prime 3, they were all pretty boring games. However, all 4 of them felt better control/gameplay-wise than Other M.

You think Metroid Prime was a boring game? It is your opinion..... it sure is, but wow.... just wow.......

My opinion is that Metroid Prime was the best game of the last decade.

To each his own

Wii U username: KitKat_H12 (Unfortunately HawkeyeWii was already taken some how)
I STREAM LIVE GAMEPLAY AND SPEEDRUNS OF GAMES ON MY twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/hawkeyewii

Friend Codes3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter: HawkeyeWii

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scanning

40. Posted:

Cheaply made, as in not up to par with typical Nintendo standards, i.e. Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Fire Emblem, etc. The gameplay in Other M feels like gameplay from a slightly unpolished PC game. It's hard to explain.

And as for the Prime games, I guess I get bored easily. Metroid Prime 3 had more action...if I'm going to play a shooter, then I want to shoot things. Not do adventuring/platforming in a first-person view 75% percent of the time.

Bye Bye.