Forums

Topic: Should I trade in my Wii, and if so should I buy an XBox 360 or PS3?

Posts 1 to 19 of 19

jaw51

Over the past 6-8 months, I really haven't been playing my Wii that much (not including Brawl, which I play whenever friends come over). I have a lot of the Wii's best games, like both Super Mario Galaxies, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Monster Hunter Tri, Resident Evil 4, and No More Heroes 2, but none of them seem to hold my interest for very long. Also, the only Wii games that I see myself wanting to buy in the next year are Zelda: Skyward Sword and The Last Story (if it ever gets released in the states). Now, with GameStop offering 50$ extra trade in credit for members, I think it's the last straw. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Wii a lot, but I just think that there's more for me on other consoles.
As for XBox 360 vs. PS3, I could go either way at this point. Some things I like about the PS3 are that it has a Blu-Ray player and free online. Also, I think that the PS3 has better exclusives, like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, and Metal Gear Solid 4, and it's backwards compatible with the PS2. The parts of the XBox that I prefer over the PS3 are first: the controller, second: the online is apparently much better, and third: backwards compatibility with most XBox games.
One of my biggest problems with the Wii's library of games was a lack of RPGs, my favorite genre, but I enjoy plenty of other genres too. And most major RPGs aren't exclusive to the PS3 or XBox 360, like Oblivion, Final Fantasy XIII, Fallout 3, and Mass Effect 2 (although generally I prefer traditional JRPGs).
Anyway, what are your opinions?

Edited on by jaw51

There is no spoon
Welcome to die!

LuigiTheGreenFire

Well, If you are not liking the Wii anymore, go ahead, it's a good trade deal. If you can afford only the 200 dollar Xbox 360 get it, but if you have 300 dollars go with the PS3.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

TeeJay

If you have a Powerup Rewards Pro card, the total for your Wii will be $120. I traded in mine the other day. :3

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

CanisWolfred

Don't trade in your Wii until E3 comes around. If we get no announcement about Xenoblade and The Last Story, then I suggest trading in your Wii for a PS3, which has a slight edge when it comes to RPGs.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

BleachFan

So you've tried what (I personally feel is) the best the Wii has to offer (Except for DKCR >.>). In that case, sure, trade it in.

The kind of gaming experiences you get on the other systems can be a lot different that what you can get out of the Wii. Whether that's good or bad is your opinion. I have a feeling you might enjoy the change, though.

I'm working on a game that's coming out soon!
Cipher Trailer

TeeJay

Mickeymac wrote:

Don't trade in your Wii until E3 comes around. If we get no announcement about Xenoblade and The Last Story, then I suggest trading in your Wii for a PS3, which has a slight edge when it comes to RPGs.

But then he'll only get $50 for the Wii instead of $120.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

bboy2970

No, no you shouldn't.

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

CanisWolfred

tristenj1992 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

But if he misses out on what's looking to be two of the better JRPGs this generation, that'd be even worse.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

jaw51

@MickeyMack - I would, but to be honest for me this kind of a now-or-never thing. I wouldn't be able to afford an XBox 360 or PS3 without this extra money. Also, I'd rather miss out on XenoBlade and The Last Story than miss out on games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Valkyria Chronicles, and Final Fantasy XIII.

There is no spoon
Welcome to die!

Bankai

Mickeymac wrote:

tristenj1992 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

But if he misses out on what's looking to be two of the better JRPGs this generation, that'd be even worse.

And if he does trade it in and miss out on those two JRPGs, he can enjoy a whole bunch of other ones on the PS3. The JRPG backlog alone (not including games coming out), is massive.

Note also the PS3 has a better range of JRPGs because it is actually popular in Japan. The Xbox 360 shares a number of the "big name" RPGs, and has Fable as an exclusive, but it also misses out on the likes of Enchanted Arms, White Knight Chronicles, that alchemy RPG, Star Ocean (don't think that's on 360), Nier, etc etc etc.

Edited on by Bankai

zezhyrule

I'm sure all the RPGs available both retail and on the PSN (mostly PSone I guess) could totally compensate for those two Wii titles. The PS3 has a massive library of JRPGs, and some that are still on the way.

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

Pastry

Well, if you are going to buy a PS3. Make sure it is one that can play PS2 games. That system had the best library in history (except for the SNES).

Hokori

No Way

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

jaw51

@pie4prez - Are some types of PS3s not backwards compatible? I thought they all were. Which types aren't backwards compatible?

There is no spoon
Welcome to die!

CanisWolfred

WaltzElf wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

tristenj1992 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

And if he does trade it in and miss out on those two JRPGs, he can enjoy a whole bunch of other ones on the PS3. The JRPG backlog alone (not including games coming out), is massive.

Note also the PS3 has a better range of JRPGs because it is actually popular in Japan. The Xbox 360 shares a number of the "big name" RPGs, and has Fable as an exclusive, but it also misses out on the likes of Enchanted Arms, White Knight Chronicles, that alchemy RPG, Star Ocean (don't think that's on 360), Nier, etc etc etc.

Enchanted Arms, Nier, Star Ocean: The Last Hope are all on the Xbox 360.

@jaw51

Suit yourself. Also, only the original models had PS2 Backward compatibilty as I recall. This model: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3/dp/B0009VXAM0/ref=sr_1_1?...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

Mickeymac wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

tristenj1992 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Enchanted Arms, Nier, Star Ocean: The Last Hope are all on the Xbox 360.

@jaw51

Suit yourself. Also, only the original models had PS2 Backward compatibilty as I recall. This model: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3/dp/B0009VXAM0/ref=sr_1_1?...

Ah, did not know that.

That said, there's still that alchemy game I can never spell, plus White Knight Chronicles. Plus the PSOne RPGs for download. And the version of Final Fantasy XIII is better on the PS3.

Plus the PS3 can play import games. This is not a huge thing for some, but it you can read Japanese it's a massive boost. In Japan, the only J-only games the Xbox 360 sees released are... adult... games. The PS3 has all kinds of niche and exclusive RPGs. Also, if you're based in Europe/ Australia, being able to play American games is good - because we miss out on a lot.

The Xbox 360 is good for RPGs, but the PS3 does have it slightly better. Both are leagues ahead of the Wii.

Ernest_The_Crab

jaw51 wrote:

@pie4prez - Are some types of PS3s not backwards compatible? I thought they all were. Which types aren't backwards compatible?

All of the ones being sold nowadays (new PS3's) don't have backwards compatibility. That feature isn't being put back either.

My Backlog | http://www.backloggery.com/thesolarknight

Friend Safari: Espurr, Munna, Duosion

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7515-3526 | Nintendo Network ID: ThePillowGolem

theblackdragon

Unfortunately, these 'should i buy' or 'system1 vs. system2' threads usually wind up degenerating into bickering. You're more than welcome to peruse some of the surviving topics if you like; hopefully they'll help you make your decision. There's also the Xbox 360 fan thread and the PlayStation 3 fan thread if you'd like to check out the pros of either system straight from people who own them. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.