Forums

Topic: Pricing of Used Original Wii in 2019

Posts 1 to 20 of 23

sr9speed

Hello everyone, I was thinking of picking up a used original White Wii but was wondering what a reasonable price to pay for one would be. Since there are over 100 million of them worldwide they're definitely not a rarity by any means plus they're probably not being used anymore by many casuals who bought it in its heyday. Gamestop prices it at roughly $70 US for pretty much everything you would get in the box new and they are usually known to price things higher than normal. So I wanted to hear your thoughts on what appropriate prices would be for the following set if I were to buy it from a private seller.

Original Wii sports bundle:
-Wii console
-Wii Remote(w/o motion plus)
-Nunchuk
-Power, AV cables
-Sensor Bar
-Wii sports

sr9speed

Matthew010

Obviously this is a UK seller but I would think the US price is similar.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Boxed-with-2-...

If you're looking for Wii games, though, I would recommend a Wii U. Yes, they are morr expensive, but once you've played all the Wii games you want, you can start on Wii U games too which can also be found cheap.

Matthew010

sr9speed

@Matthew010
That seems like a reasonable price, I found one local to me that seemed overpriced but the seller was open to offers.

I was considering this but I already have a Switch and most games that I was really looking to play on the Wii U are either already on the Switch or coming to the Switch. Personally I really loved the concept of the Gamepad but I feel it was very underutilized in most games, at least from what I've experienced playing my friend's.

Another reason I want the Wii is because of the GC compatibility so I can play the GC library as well. I know it's possible to play GC games on the Wii U through some mods but I prefer to play it as natively as possible and I'm not comfortable with modding at the moment.

sr9speed

Octane

@sr9speed Make sure you get the right Wii, because not all of them can play GameCube games.

Octane

sr9speed

@Octane The only one that can't play GC is the red one which was a top loader correct?

sr9speed

link3710

@sr9speed Only model RVL-001 is backwards compatible. RVL-002, the family edition (JP only) and the Wii Mini (the red one you mentioned) are all not.

link3710

ThanosReXXX

@sr9speed Well, what I would do is look at several stores, so I'd say go to multiple sites and compare prices. Here are a couple of examples to give you an idea:

https://www.lukiegames.com/
https://www.dkoldies.com/
http://www.levelupvideogames.com/
https://gameovervideogames.com/

On a side note: I would never buy from a private owner. You'll never know how they treated their console and when buying from a retro store, you'd know that all consoles are checked and/or cleaned, and more importantly, you'd still get a warranty, in most cases for several months.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@sr9speed Like @link3710 already said, you'll want to be looking for a model RVL-001. Those come in white and black, and they're easily recognizable by the lid on top that covers the GameCube controller and memory card ports.

All other Wii's (red, blue, light blue, newer models of the black and white Wii and the Wii Mini) don't have these.

It should look like this:
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

P.S.

Unless you're going to connect the Wii to an old CRT TV screen, you'll also want to invest in a component cable.
A good one shouldn't cost you more than between 10 - 20 bucks, but it makes a world of difference in picture quality on a modern TV, so definitely a recommended item.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Octane

@sr9speed What @ThanosReXXX said. The ''Family Edition'' have the logo and the letters sideways if you stand them upright. Like this one:
Untitled

Octane

ThanosReXXX

@sr9speed Just out of curiosity: why would you want to have Wii remotes without Motion Plus?
They're more precise, and besides them being necessary for certain games, such as Wii Sports Resort (absolutely recommended title, by the way) you can also use them with non-Motion Plus games, so no reason to not have the most compatible Wii remote there is.

sr9speed

@ThanosReXXX
I didn't know about the "Family Edition" Wiis I just assumed they were the same as the original. Regardless, it seems like it should be easy to check for GC support.

The only reason I am not very keen about going to a Retro store is because of the pricing and I would expect them to charge more. Granted, I have to check my local store for their exact pricing but I will consider the option.

As far as the Motion plus thing, I just used it as an example since most people don't have it or even acknowledge the difference/existence. I would much rather prefer them over the basic Wii Remotes.

Regarding the component cables, does the Wii2HDMI adapter equate to a component signal? I know they say 1080p on them but I know that this is a complete lie. And do you know if these devices are reliable ie. are they prone to breaking?

sr9speed

ThanosReXXX

@sr9speed I actually used to own one of these HDMI converters. They are okay for what they are, but it isn't an officially supported option, so it uses a very simple converter, and the colors are a bit too vibrant for me, in comparison to a component cable, and on my TV the picture was vertically stretched, and I couldn't get it to fit the screen. That doesn't happen with much more expensive, professional HDMI converters, but then you're looking at $100 or more, so I figure you're probably not interested in that option.

So, if I were you, I'd just look for gold-plated component cables. You can quite easily get your hands on them. Amazon still sells plenty of them, and they're totally worth it. And every TV that's currently on the market, supports component inputs, so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the HDMI converter being reliable: I only used it for a short while and then gave it away, so I wouldn't be able to make a useful comment about it, simply because I haven't made use of it long enough to find out.

ThanosReXXX

@sr9speed As for shops being more expensive: not every store has GameStop prices...

This one is from the first web shop I listed in my first comment to you:
https://www.lukiegames.com/Buy-White-Wii-Console-System.html
Completely refurbished Wii, with all the cables, sensor bar, Wii remote and nunchuk controller, and a full year of warranty, which is a very good deal for a refurbished system.

And their service seems to be second to none, just read the customer reviews on that very same page.

There's no game included in the Wii bundle, but you can also get Wii Sports from them for either $9.97 or $10.84 (the cheaper one being the one without a manual)
https://www.lukiegames.com/sports-wii-game

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

sr9speed

@ThanosReXXX looks like the component cables seem to be the safer/better option.

sr9speed

sr9speed

@ThanosReXXX and @ReaderRagfihs
As for the stores, I checked the websites out and they seemed to be reasonably priced so I'll probably check out my local shop. The only issue I'd my closest one is 30minutes away? Are there any you guys would recommend in the central Jersey or even Philly area?(assuming you're familiar with the area)

sr9speed

ThanosReXXX

@sr9speed Sorry to say I'm not: you're talking to a former California resident who is now living in Europe, but regardless of me not living in the States anymore, I've ordered from Lukie Games anyway, and they really do offer good service, which also saves you a trip, and if anything isn't to your satisfaction, you can send it back and get a replacement or your money back, so I'd save myself the trip, and just order online from whichever of these shops offers the best deal, in your opinion.

But just in case you don't feel comfortable with ordering from a webshop, regardless of getting a warranty on whatever you order, I've looked up a couple of options for you to explore in your own area:

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=videogamestores&find_loc...
https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=videogamestores&find_loc...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

sr9speed

@ThanosReXXX Thanks for the help. I'll consider online but I'd prefer the in store ones. I'll look into the 2 you've suggested.

sr9speed

ThanosReXXX

@sr9speed You're welcome.

KingMike

There was a black backwards-compatible Wii? I can't remember when the black Wii was released, but I recall it was quite late in its lifespan. Around the same time as the BC-less Wiis.

(despite that the black model was the first one Nintendo demoed. I can remember way back when Satori Iwata first held it and people were like "it's a cable modem!" They also showed a variety of colors, including Red that didn't come out until the late Mario edition, and Lime and Silver which I don't think were ever released.)

KingMike

sr9speed

@KingMike Yeah I think you're right about that. I believe the black and red wiis with the GC support were released sometime in late 2010 or early 2011. I think very soon after however, they released the remaining colors without the GC support like some of the users mentioned before.

sr9speed

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.