Forums

Topic: Nintendo is Lazy and Doesn't Care?

Posts 181 to 200 of 321

Trevor_Fox

^Lol.

Wii #: 2957-6808-2293-0954
Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky FC: 2235-6850-1352
PSN: Trevor_Fox
-Try out my Littlebigplanet levels! =)

Knux

Of course Nintendo is lazy in some areas. NSMBW is a great game, but it could have been so MUCH MORE. NSMBW SHOULD HAVE HAD online multiplayer and a level editor/creator. What pissed me off about that was Miyamoto made a horrible excuse and said that the Wii could not handle online multiplayer on NSMBW. That was a LIE. NSMBW is only 0.35 GB, it could have almost been a WiiWare game! Nintendo was lazy developing NSMBW, but it is still a great game. But, it could have been so MUCH MORE. Oh well, at least I have hope for SMG2 and Metroid:OM.

Knux

Hardy83

Yeah, my mind won't change regardless.
Nintendo still makes great games that are fun, but half of me wishes they'd stop being lazy and playing it safe.

....Especially with Animal Crossing and Pokemon. If they were EVER made into MMOs similar to Wizards 101 or Free Realms they would just tear every MMO apart.

Hardy83

NotEnoughGolds

Sneaker13 wrote:

Why are you surprised. IGN never said that the game was bad or poorly executed. They gave it an 8,9 and the Wii Game of the Year Award. They just noted that Nintendo took the easy way out in using two generic toads in the game next to Mario and Luigi whil [sic] they have such a huge cast of characters in the Mario universe.

I don't understand where this huge cast of characters is coming from.
Toadsworth is pretty much the only legitimate character that doesn't already appear in NSMBW.
So yes, they could have replaced a Toad with an old Toad, and that would make Nintendo "innovative" and "not lazy," since this is clearly the game's one flaw.

@Mandoble: "You may love NSMB, ok, but selling that outclassed, obsolete, short and simplistic game for 45Eur is whatever but fair. This might have a good Wiiware candidate, but of course, money is money which is the very only thing Nintento is taking care of with the Wii."

Some people happen to love side-scrolling platformers. Hell, the market is even being flooded with them these days, and not just on the Wii. Little Big Planet for instance. So the genre is not really obsolete.
Outclassed? By what? LBP? Halo 3? Madden '10? No.
Short? Not at all. The game takes 10+ hours on a first run through and even longer to go back and get coins and unlock secret levels. Then play it with friends and you end up easily at 30+ hours. $1.66/hr for entertainment that is enjoyable as NSMBW is a good deal imo.
Simplistic? Yes, the game is not 3D. It does not try to approximate real physics. It does not have guns.

But clearly it belongs on WiiWare. Because if you chop out 90% of NSMBW's content, then... yeah, it would still be too large to put on WiiWare.

Edit: A Boy and His Blob should be on WiiWare also. Muramasa too. And Punch Out.

Edited on by NotEnoughGolds

NotEnoughGolds

Mandoble

Of course there is always another explanation, that with Wii they cannot really do any better. In the world of PC, the most freed space for gaming where you are not enslaved to a single gaming/hardware provider and with the most vivid competence between gaming development companies, all Nintendo Wii games would have a very very very small life expectacy (if any at all) and only if cheaper than 20~15Eur. But obviously, if you have a Wii and are somewhat enslaved into Nintendo's dungeon, then you will have little more options than buying MarioX-Y-Z, Wiimusics, Wiisports, etc.

NotEnoughGolds, a 10h or less game is not a short one, right?

Edited on by Mandoble

Mandoble

Bankai

I wonder if any of you have stepped back and actually looked at this objectively, rather than simply throwing a tantrum because Nintendo isn't custom catering for you?

Look at the demographics of Wii and DS users - Nintendo has the first console in history that has a larger female userbase than male (DS) and the Wii has been amazingly successful in bringing a massive range of new people into gaming.

Yes, from a "hardcore" game perspective, they've been "lazy" - but that's a shoddy market that nearly killed Nintendo in the Gamecube era.

It was a massive risk to go after a new market segment, and the execution was anything but lazy. Nintendo's software in this generation has been brilliant at being exactly what the most casual of casual players can handle - and making something that accessible would have been incredibly hard work.

From a business side of things (and Nintendo is a business) it has been working exceptionally hard and has been turning out some awesome products. Yes, they might not appeal to the 0.000001% of the population that is "hardcore", but why target something that won't make you much money?

bro2dragons

Odnetnin wrote:

@bro2dragons I thought Superman was DC and Thor was Marvel. Where's that comic from?

they are. it's from the special Justice League vs. Avengers crossover. pretty good read.

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

cheetahman91

Javet wrote:

I think there's some confusion with this. The name of thearticle is "Nintendo is Lazy and WE Don't Care".
HINT: "WE!"

Good point. The title should be changed since it makes it confusing.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

Kknight

Hyper+Luigi wrote:

Of course Nintendo is lazy in some areas. NSMBW is a great game, but it could have been so MUCH MORE. NSMBW SHOULD HAVE HAD online multiplayer and a level editor/creator. What pissed me off about that was Miyamoto made a horrible excuse and said that the Wii could not handle online multiplayer on NSMBW. That was a LIE. NSMBW is only 0.35 GB, it could have almost been a WiiWare game! Nintendo was lazy developing NSMBW, but it is still a great game. But, it could have been so MUCH MORE. Oh well, at least I have hope for SMG2 and Metroid:OM.

0.35GB is 350MB...isn't the WiiWare limit 40MB? I'm getting tired of this ridiculous "should have/could have been a WiiWare game" stuff.

Now Playing DS: Scribblenauts; M&L: BIS--Just Finished: Picross--Backlog: Layton 2; Spirit Tracks
Now Playing Wii: Little King's Story--Just Finished: NSMBWii--Backlog: Boy and His Blob

Sneaker13

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Sneaker13 wrote:

Why are you surprised. IGN never said that the game was bad or poorly executed. They gave it an 8,9 and the Wii Game of the Year Award. They just noted that Nintendo took the easy way out in using two generic toads in the game next to Mario and Luigi whil [sic] they have such a huge cast of characters in the Mario universe.

Toadsworth is pretty much the only legitimate character that doesn't already appear in NSMBW.
So yes, they could have replaced a Toad with an old Toad, and that would make Nintendo "innovative" and "not lazy," since this is clearly the game's one flaw.

I don't understand Nintendo's reason why to add two generic, nameless and characterless Toads while they already have enough characters that they can use (see other thread on this forum). I don't understand why you say "innovative", but whatever. It is lazy for either not using a character that fans already know, or use a new character and introduce it in a proper way to give it a face and character. They don't even have an official name.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Friendcodes:
Wii: 1992-3062-5832-6991 - Mario Kart Wii: 3308-5912-8952 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster: 8325-7726-3894 -
3DS: 0430 - 8258 - 5287

NotEnoughGolds

Mandoble wrote:

NotEnoughGolds, a 10h or less game is not a short one, right?

Assassin's Creed II is a 6 hour game. Modern Warfare 2 is a 5 hour game.

NotEnoughGolds

NotEnoughGolds

Sneaker13 wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Sneaker13 wrote:

I don't understand Nintendo's reason why to add two generic, nameless and characterless Toads while they already have enough characters that they can use (see other thread on this forum). I don't understand why you say "innovative", but whatever. It is lazy for either not using a character that fans already know, or use a new character and introduce it in a proper way to give it a face and character. They don't even have an official name.

I saw the other thread on this forum and I thought it was pretty much agreed that once you take away the nan-canon cast of characters (Super Mario Land, Super Mario Party, Super Mario Kart, Paper Mario, etc.), there are no characters left to put in the game except for diff. colored Toads (SMS & SMG) and Toadsworth (SMS).

NotEnoughGolds

Sneaker13

Why take away the non-canon cast? They are still part of the Mario universe and I think Toad and Toadette would have been great. My sister love Toadette and if Nintendo included her, I know it have more appeal to that demographic too. And are the Blue and Yellow Toad canon? It's there first game (second if the IGN article is true). But even if Nintendo don't want to use any of the familiar characters. Why did they not give them any characteristics or personality. Let the players get to know them more instead of the blue one or that yellow one.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Friendcodes:
Wii: 1992-3062-5832-6991 - Mario Kart Wii: 3308-5912-8952 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster: 8325-7726-3894 -
3DS: 0430 - 8258 - 5287

SpentAllMyTokens

Yeah, because Mario has tons of personality, especially in the 2d games. Wahoo! They did give the toads some personality as NPC sin Galaxy.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

NotEnoughGolds

I just said there were blue and yellow toads in SMS and SMG.
Also I had never even heard of Toadette before that other thread popped up, and I've played every single console Mario platformer... err, except Sunshine.
So, all I would see is a blue toad and a pink toad, rather than Toad and Toadette.

You really think it's lazy of them to refuse to do a palette swap before releasing the game? I imagine they just didn't consider it to be important.
And the reason it should be canonical is that even though it's multiplayer, it's not a party game. It's another entry in the platformer series, and thus, imo, should be taken seriously. That means not including random characters and not having Wario or Waluigi or Daisy or Sheik or Link or MC Ballyhoo.

NotEnoughGolds

brandonbwii

WaltzElf wrote:

I wonder if any of you have stepped back and actually looked at this objectively, rather than simply throwing a tantrum because Nintendo isn't custom catering for you?

Look at the demographics of Wii and DS users - Nintendo has the first console in history that has a larger female userbase than male (DS) and the Wii has been amazingly successful in bringing a massive range of new people into gaming.

Yes, from a "hardcore" game perspective, they've been "lazy" - but that's a shoddy market that nearly killed Nintendo in the Gamecube era.

It was a massive risk to go after a new market segment, and the execution was anything but lazy. Nintendo's software in this generation has been brilliant at being exactly what the most casual of casual players can handle - and making something that accessible would have been incredibly hard work.

From a business side of things (and Nintendo is a business) it has been working exceptionally hard and has been turning out some awesome products. Yes, they might not appeal to the 0.000001% of the population that is "hardcore", but why target something that won't make you much money?

Well said.

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

skywake

Kknight wrote:

0.35GB is 350MB...isn't the WiiWare limit 40MB? I'm getting tired of this ridiculous "should have/could have been a WiiWare game" stuff.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who noticed this when people started quoting sizes. If this was a WiiWare game (and lets just assume for a second that the game is ONLY level data) it would have most likely have been forced to be shortened into about 9 parts. A Mario Game on WiiWare of this quality even in 9 parts you would expect to cost about 1000 points per chunk. So how much would this game have cost on WiiWare? $90US

I think I prefer it as a retail game

Mandoble wrote:

Of course there is always another explanation, that with Wii they cannot really do any better. In the world of PC, the most freed space for gaming where you are not enslaved to a single gaming/hardware provider and with the most vivid competence between gaming development companies

Which is why with all that horsepower all PC games are crazy good looking hardcore First Person shooters. Games like World of Goo, Braid, Cave Story and other small puzzle games and platformers are worthless on high spec machines and so don't exist. The Wii on the other hand is underpowered so it will never get "epic" games like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Zelda or any of the game of year contenters that so often live in the PC gaming space.

What I have just said in the previous paragraph is BS.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

NotEnoughGolds

Let's also not forget that Sega Master System "won" the third generation, Neo Geo "won" the fourth generation, N64 won the fifth generation, XBox won the sixth generation, and PS3 is stomping in the 7th generation.

NotEnoughGolds

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.