Forums

Topic: MY biggest concern about this generation of gaming..... : (

Posts 21 to 35 of 35

Ramandus

To me, an arcade game is a game that was released at the arcade that is usually played with a joystick. When released to consoles, they can be grouped into racing, simulation, platformer, or fighting.

Somebody set up us the bomb.
Wii: 8703 7486 8875 3789
I love PWN3NG NintendoLife members on Tatsunoko :-)

theblackdragon

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

Twilight+Crow wrote:

couldn't we just call them games?

If only it were that simple!
Oh. Wait. Actually, it is exactly that simple.
What was the problem here again?

noooooooo! not... logic! D:

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Stevie

If only it were that simple!
Oh. Wait. Actually, it is exactly that simple.
What was the problem here again?

You know people are not happy unless they are pigeon holing everything, Music,Games,Films,People. Hardcore this, Casual that. I find the best method is to ignore this madness.

Sean_Aaron

Hang on, is someone implying I wasn't playing arcade games for their narrative content?

That's the only reason I kept pumping quarters in!

How many dots can Pac-Man possibly eat before the ghosts get him?

Will Jumpman rescue the girl in the pink dress from Donkey Kong?

Will you rescue the humanoids in your Defender space fighter?

Can you save the Last Human Family from the robot rampage in the year 2084?

All gripping and deserving of their own feature films and tie-in novels!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

mrmicawber

Games have evolved to a point where people want a story,

Hah, no offense to anyone here, but I consider it devolution! I was so happy when Miyamoto said the story in Galaxy got out of hand -it did - and say they are cutting cutting cutting out of the sequel! Also this is the best thing about Mii's - they need no story! IT is so awesome to boot up a game and just PLAY!

My origional post was not perfect, I know that - I just think non-story games have an unfair biases against them by game reviewers and their disciples. Agree, disagree, but I think everygame should be reviewed on its own merits - and fun.

And all too often, watching game cinema, especially the unskipable variety, is NOT fun. Compare game cinema to the best of television and film and you fund it compares to the WORST of television and film. No offense, just my experience...

Batttalion Wars Wii, was ruined by disruptive cinema in the middle of levels in my opinion. I want to play, not watch a movie or the CPU blow things up or tip the hand of the enemy and tell what units are coming next.....made me sad.

IGN: The holiday Wii lineup looks thin for the hardcore crowd. We see this. Gamers see this. What, if anything, is Nintendo planning to address it?

Oh good, I am neither a gamer or hardcore. Saves me from having to be IGNorant.
Right, Down, A, Down, Right, Up

Adam

Some games have awful stories. Mario Galaxy is a great example, and I completely agree. It was out of hand for a Mario game. But that doesn't mean it is an entirely worthless concept not worth pursuing in other games.

Honestly, I'm not sure if you're trying to say that all story-driven games are bad or if you are just defending games that lack story (but from whom, I don't know... you have the odd habit of defending stances that aren't under attack in the first place). If it's the latter, I don't think anyone here would be naive enough to say that all games need a story. Wii Sports Resort is going to do fine enough without some silly attempt at a story.

But if you're saying all story-driven games are bad, that's silly. Maybe you have just seen the worst examples, or maybe it's just not suited to your tastes, but most people like it, so it's a pointless argument. I enjoyed the story in Metal Gear Solid (somewhat less its convoluted sequels, but they were still entertainingly presented and had their good moments), and I enjoyed the story in all the Mother games, especially the third one. It's the only RPG series where I actually want to talk to every character I see because every line is written by the hilarious Itoi.

Others could probably think of better examples, but I don't play many RPGs, and they tend to be the most story-driven by nature.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Sean_Aaron

I actually liked the story in Super Mario Galaxy and thought it was quite touching. Story can be irrelevant to a game, but if it's done well it can make the experience more compelling. The Conduit without the story is probably something I wouldn't have bought. Even if it's just a setting, the story of a game gives it a context that prevents it being lost in a sea of similar titles. Arcades have had more than their share of similar shooters, fighting games and platformers. The ones that don't use unique controls often stand out due to design or even, yes, story!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

mrmicawber

Why is it silly to be against cut scene cinema? If I buy a game, I want to play it, not watch it. It would be one thing if it was its own genre, but when it strays into other genres......uhhhh.

The problem is the money and big outfits that are buying game companies and getting away from bread and bacon gaming.
Just my opinion.

IGN: The holiday Wii lineup looks thin for the hardcore crowd. We see this. Gamers see this. What, if anything, is Nintendo planning to address it?

Stevie

@mrmicawber - You really do seem to be missing the point that there is a far wider spectrum of gaming genre's nowadays, and for some of these genre's it is essential to have some story line, i will agree that in certain games there is a level of unnecasery storyline, but there are still plenty of games that are pure gaming, no story so why not just stick to playing those games and accept not everybodys tastes are the same and some people do enjoy playing games with a story.

Knux

@MrMicawber-Here we go again...
So tell me, how does stories ruin video games? Stories help some video games A LOT.
Go play Majora's Mask,then we will talk.

Knux

Ricardo91

mrmicawber wrote:

Some interenet eople do not really understand arcade gaming....

They think everygame has to have a 'story', and cinema, and voice acting. They look to the GAMING medium for narrative? How sick is that?

Yeah! Developers coming up with new ways to immerse the player into a game? Disgusting!

People don't expect an epic story with every game. They only expect that sort of thing with certain genres. An FPS/TPS with large-scale war and destruction? Yeah, people expect a gripping story with that one. An RPG? People expect a gripping tale that will keep them playing. A platformer or puzzle game? People could really care less about the story in those, just as long as they are fun. People are so demanding on story because the most game these days are sandbox games and FPSs.

Also they are obssesd with 'minigames'. Just becasue 5 games are on a disc, does not make them minigames. Like Wi Sports. Look at the iconic game design and physics of Wii Sports Golf - it is an insult to call that a minigame, it is arcade. PLease don ot 'lump sum' games....

Like it or not, the games in Wii Sports ARE minigames. They're games within a larger game, therefor they're mini games. Sure, they may be bigger than the average minigame, but they're still minigames. Crazy, I know...

What if Donkey Kong was released today - would that be a minigame? Hell, no. Neither would be Mario Brothers.

People know for a fact that that's an arcade game. It originated in actual arcades. The object of all arcade games is to keep playing for as long as your gaming skills allow, trying to get the highest score possible. Wii Sports does not play like that, and it never originated in an arcade, therefor it's games are not "arcade games".

Know what I mean? It doesn't matter, the free market is doing very well rewarding good games this gen, but still - it makes the internet environment a little toxic......

Like Terranigma said, you're a bigger toxin to the internet environment than anyone else...

EDIT: I can't wait to see Alexsays' thoughts on this one...

Edited on by Ricardo91

Mabbit

compare the first part of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga with a story to one without
(SPOILER ALERT)
With a story: Princess Peaches voice was stolen by an evil witch posing as the goodwill ambassador of BeanBean kingdom for unknown reasons. Bowser is angry about this too so he teams up with Mario to find the thief of Peach's voice. They all get on board of the Koopa Cruiser but Bowser mistakes Luigi to be one of his baddies and takes him on the trip. While flying to BeanBean they crash...

Without a story: Walk arounf the mushroom kingdom with luigi and stomp on guys for no reason

Heisenberg says "relax!"
The user formerly known as briunj04
PSN=mabbit04/Summoner name(LoL)=briunj04

Mabbit

mrmicawber, you should probably just stop fighting a losing battle

Heisenberg says "relax!"
The user formerly known as briunj04
PSN=mabbit04/Summoner name(LoL)=briunj04

Slapshot

I do think that the newer generations of gamers are kinda babied a bit. Games now days just seem to get easier and easier. Gaming used to be about a challenge but that is changing very quickly.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

mrmicawber

EDIT: I can't wait to see Alexsays' thoughts on this one...

Ohh, I have goosebumps.

Yeah, fine, I knew I was the minority voice. Enjoy your crummy videogame movies, I would trather watch the Backyardigans....

By the way with the Majora's Mask thing - I am talking cut scenes here, that game aint got many, and they are all in game models and brief. So I am cool with that. And Square Enix - no thanks, I am not into emo metrosexual boys and all the RPG cliches....

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.