Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 941 to 960 of 1,742

Deviant_Mugen

@badmouths: I bought the cleaning kit a few days before Other M's release and I assure you, it works like a charm. My Wii had trouble reading my Metroid Prime Trilogy disc, but as soon as I cleaned its lens, it worked. As of now I have about 6 hours of playtime on Other M and my Wii has given me no trouble...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

retired_account

Just picked it up. Can't play it till the weekend though - my Wii's in another state!

retired_account

grumblebuzzz

@Metroid_Fan: Awesome! That eases my mind a little bit. I recently traded in SSBB because it ceased to work, so imagine my horror when this one (which I had traded Smash Bros AND 4 other games in for) didn't work right out of the box... Whew. Here's hoping the cleaning kit is successful...

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

suburban_sensei

Arigner wrote:

Played about 45 minutes of the game because I had to go to school (), but that was an epic 45 minutes! I don't see any of thoses negatives points.Up until I've played more (like, when Im gonna get home...) this Is what I think: I think its a really good revival of the Metroid Series.

About those reviews who complains about cinematic and samus talking, think about a thing: Her first game was on the NES. Not many Characters talked in the game and even less had cinematic. One I remember is Ninja Gaiden, you know the game made by Techmo in 1988

Oh wait.

Same here, I am not far in either (met with the Federation, defeated the first boss, etc), and I really like the cut-scenes and don't think the voice acting is THAT bad. I mean its Team Ninja, so it has that "feel" to it, but I am not cringing at every word, like I thought I would. I agree, I mean, yeah the Prime series is great in its own respect, but I don't think Other M deserves to be overshadowed and thrown under the rug, like some reviewers are doing...glares at G4's, Morgan Webb

Nintendo ID / PSN ID: Suburban_Sensei
3DS Friend Code:3239-5626-6674

Currently playing:
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse / Hyrule Warriors / Super Smash Bros. (Wii U)
Super Smash Bros. / LoZ: Majoras Mask 3D / Kirby...

romulux

badmouthsadmouth wrote:

Has anyone who was having disc-read problems tried the Official Nintendo Lens Cleaning Kit on their system yet?

it works, not just for dual layers but scratched discs as well. my copy of corruption got scratched to hell and wouldn't work; after cleaning once it was playable but would give me the "error" screen when loading certain rooms; after cleaning a few more times the game was fully functional again. i couldn't recommend that little kit any harder.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Slapshot

Swerd_Murd wrote:

This game and Ys 7 the same week (for me)....and Dragon Quest IX last month....I'm seriously dizzy.

I'll prob won't be on NL for the next couple days, since I don't have work and I feel like dedicating two straight days to beating this and the rest of Ys 7. SUCH A GOOD MONTH!!!!!

I thought it was you. I got Ys7 and Metroid today

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Arigner

suburban_sensei wrote:

Same here, I am not far in either (met with the Federation, defeated the first boss, etc), and I really like the cut-scenes and don't think the voice acting is THAT bad. I mean its Team Ninja, so it has that "feel" to it, but I am not cringing at every word, like I thought I would. I agree, I mean, yeah the Prime series is great in its own respect, but I don't think Other M deserves to be overshadowed and thrown under the rug, like some reviewers are doing...glares at G4's, Morgan Webb

In fact, I prefer a little dull voice with character, for a reason like being all alone against the worst things in the galaxy many times, had to fight multiple times her parent killers, never of almost talking. Like I said on gonintendo.com, It is not NORMAL for her to fight with others, because she hasnt for a long time. She is a little relieved that she has friends but its difficult for her to how act. Many people in the real world are like that so its not Surprising that she isn't a super badass immune to everything.

Goldeneye Friend Code: 0079-8601-0876

Philip_J_Reed

Just checking in to say I love it.

It's awesome. I'm only partway through Sector 1, but the attention to detail has blown me away. An absolutely gorgeous game with some awesomely effective atmosphere. The third-to-first switching is so far very smooth, and getting smoother as I come to grips with its quirks.

This is a fantastic experience so far, and I look forward to spending much more time with it.

Also, to the voice acting haterzzz: you crazy. It ain't really that bad. Samus might sound a little clinical and dazed, but that's sort of accounted for by the opening cut scene.

Also also: I'm probably wrong, but right now it seems like the Samus/Adam relationship is going to explore some darrrrk places...me likey.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Joeynator3000

...I think I found my first door where it needs a super missile...and I'm stuck at these two areas...can't find anything. (besides that missile expansion, lol) Dunno how to open up this regular red door either, halp!!!

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Bigdog

@Chicken Brutus

That's where I am too, but toward the "seeming" end of Sector 1.

That's exactly how I'm feeling about this game. Once the game starts and the narrative is "as you go" there's absolutely no fault I could find with it. None. And, tell me this, have you EVER played a game that transitioned from "playing" to "watching story" back to "playing" as well as this game? Lord almighty, it's so friggin smooth.....

You know when you are playing zelda and Link walks into a new area (Or a boss area) and the game takes over, shows you around then gives you control, in one "cinematric" motion? That's amateur compared to what Other M is. The "cinematrics" in this game are so smooth and the character model on it is so perfect to the playable it seems surreal.

Metroid fans, don't worry about the "authorization" thing. It works. It fits within the story and gameplay, and doesn't feel frustrating. The Metroid exploration is not touched by it, as within 20 minutes I was finding little hatches and walls to blow up and little nooks to find secret stuff.

3rd person to 1st person? Perfect visually. There's no hangup (which I was expecting). There's no frame rate issues. And it feels natural to your hand and it become second nature and instinctive within a few minutes.

Example: The game is so smooth, if you are near a door and an enemy huts you and you fall back to the previous room the door will stay open so that you can keep your fight going. It doesn't "reset" the area like all previous games did. I mean, that's the kind of detail you will find in this game.

Let me get back to it.... but man, this game is amazing.

"Maybe you're MY puppet"

Bigdog

@bell, go back to that little room with an "aquarium" thingy at the middle of the room. There's something inside it now. You'll get the hint. = )

"Maybe you're MY puppet"

Joeynator3000

Yeah the missile expansion right? I can't get to it...lol. I'm looking in it and see nothing but that. Gah! xD
EDIT: ...Never mind. xD

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Arigner

just those two post above me say that they are, Indeed, playing a METROID game.

(- I dont know what to do.... F**************)
(Search in **** room)
(I see it but I cannot get there!)
(Oh, you could blow that up? Sweet)

Isnt that what happens in every freaking metroid? (maybe except prime's, the scan indicate what you can blow...)

Edited on by Arigner

Meta-Rift

My copy of the game is coming in the mail, but something's been bothering me. My Wii has no problems running SSBB and MK Wii (both to my understanding are dual-layered discs). Does that guarantee I'll be able to play Metroid: Other M?

Meta-Rift

Philip_J_Reed

Bigdog wrote:

You know when you are playing zelda and Link walks into a new area (Or a boss area) and the game takes over, shows you around then gives you control, in one "cinematric" motion? That's amateur compared to what Other M is. The "cinematrics" in this game are so smooth and the character model on it is so perfect to the playable it seems surreal.

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.

(Also, totally echo you on the "authorization" thing. I can't say I prefer it to actually locating upgrades, because I don't, but if they chose to go this route, they did it beautifully. And all those snarky reviews questioning whether Samus would really choose not to use her abilities until she was granted permission to do so? They must have skipped every cut scene or stuffed cotton in their ears or something, because it's perfectly clear to me.)

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Arigner

Well, because THIS TIME its LOGICAL why she dosen't have every power from start, it sucks.

I remember somes fan saying: its always some more of the same! we want something new!

And then, they all say it isn't like before...

Spoony_Tech

Metroid_Fan wrote:

I've been playing Other M for about an hour now, thankfully I got the cleaning kit last week in preparation for it, so it's working like a dream; it's fantastic. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must get back to the game...

@Tech: Where are people getting the idea that you have all your upgrades available from the beginning? Now, granted, I'm only about three hours into the game, but so far the only thing Samus came armed with to the ship were her missiles and bombs, and you get granted authorization to use them about 10 minutes after she decides to wait for Adam's order. It's not too far into the game and I already found a suit upgrade, yes, one that Samus didn't have and was waiting for authorization to use. I checked out the suit inventory, too, and the only abilities there are the ones Samus boarded the ship with; no un-selectable Super Missiles or Power Bombs. Also, no exploration? I just found a morph ball tunnel that led to a large, unmarked part of the map, if that's not classic Metroid exploration, then I don't know what is. As I've said countless times, play the game for yourself before you let all the reviews pollute your mind...

Thanks for the heads up. It does make me feel better. Just don't want them to screw up my beloved franchise. I will get a chance to play this tomorrow for a bit but told my brother to just beat it first then its hunting time for me.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Kid_A

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

Bigdog wrote:

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.

(Also, totally echo you on the "authorization" thing. I can't say I prefer it to actually locating upgrades, because I don't, but if they chose to go this route, they did it beautifully. And all those snarky reviews questioning whether Samus would really choose not to use her abilities until she was granted permission to do so? They must have skipped every cut scene or stuffed cotton in their ears or something, because it's perfectly clear to me.)

I know, right? I was fully prepared to jump on the hate wagon, but the game actually makes the whole thing plausible. I love how they described the destructive use of Power Bombs--not only was it kind of awesome, but it made it pretty clear why this, and some of the more lethal weapons, are unauthorized unless under the most dire circumstances. And not all of the new powerups are acquired from being authorized. The first real powerup you get is the Diffusion Beam, which you pick up after beating a boss. That's classic Metroid stuff, there!

I was fully prepared to hate this game, but I've played this game for four hours. And every second of it has been extremely fun. With the exception of the thumbs-down scene. What the heck was that all about?

EDIT: Another complaint that I don't understand: reviewers have been saying how there's practically no exploration. Lies. I've spent at least an hour of my total playtime thus far just backtracking and using new powerups to search for Missile Tanks and Energy Tanks. Once again--I seriously do not understand the hate.

Also also: I'm probably wrong, but right now it seems like the Samus/Adam relationship is going to explore some darrrrk places...me likey.

Yes. Glad I'm not the only one.

Edited on by Kid_A

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

the_shpydar

Only a few hours for me so far; think i'm mostly through Sector 1. I think. I'll echo everything CB said; this game is awesome. Now that i've played it, many of the criticisms i've read really make me think that reviewers weren't paying attention when they were playing (especially with regards to the "not using certain weapons" thing) and/or they just don't "get" Metroid games, period.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Philip_J_Reed

Kid_A wrote:

And not all of the new powerups are acquired from being authorized. The first real powerup you get is the Diffusion Beam, which you pick up after beating a boss. That's classic Metroid stuff, there!

I didn't get that far, so thanks for clarifying. Damned reviews misleading me into thinking you only picked up missile expansions and energy tanks...

Kid_A wrote:

I was fully prepared to hate this game, but I've played this game for four hours. And every second of it has been extremely fun. With the exception of the thumbs-down scene. What the heck was that all about?

I liked that scene.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic