Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 741 to 760 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

741. Posted:

I'm usually one of the last people to accuse reviewers of bias, but if i've learned anything about G4 over the past few years, it's that they love to jump on the "Ninty is for teh casualz and babies" bandwagon. This gen, I've rarely seen them ever even discuss anything Ninty-related without some unnecesary eye-rolling or backhanded remarks.

That said, with respect to particular reviews, i'm curious as to whether a reviewer is more of a fan of the Prime series or of the "classic" Metroids, as that would likely be a big factor in how they felt about this game.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 21 Copies. 2 Sealed, 6 CIB, 3 Boxed, 10 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage

The_Fox

742. Posted:

Fanboy tears are so, so delicious. Any time any Nintendo game doesn't get a near perfect score the poop starts.

Edit:Fine, I changed the word. It makes little sense to not replace it with something.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage

Angaran

743. Posted:

I know right

Angaran

AuthorMessage

irken004

744. Posted:

The+Fox wrote:

Any time any Nintendo game doesn't get a near perfect score the starts.

Come to think of it, idk when the last time that happened.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Backloggery

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

745. Posted:

The+Fox wrote:

Fanboy tears are so, so delicious. Any time any Nintendo game doesn't get a near perfect score the starts.

well in this case I actually think most of the is justified. The G4 review seems to be blatently biased and over-reaching. I am personally loving the controversy of this game--the negative reviews have excited me just as much as the negative ones--but this G4 review is irritating. Especially because it's G4, a show known for their intense bias against nintendo

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

The_Fox

746. Posted:

irken004 wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

Any time any Nintendo game doesn't get a near perfect score the starts.

Come to think of it, idk when the last time that happened.

Sure, it doesn't happen often (which is one of the reasons I like Nintendo), but Super Paper Mario and Mario Kart Wii both rightfully had mixed reviews that sent the fanboys off.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

AuthorMessage

The_Fox

747. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

Fanboy tears are so, so delicious. Any time any Nintendo game doesn't get a near perfect score the starts.

well in this case I actually think most of the is justified. The G4 review seems to be blatently biased and over-reaching. I am personally loving the controversy of this game--the negative reviews have excited me just as much as the negative ones--but this G4 review is irritating. Especially because it's G4, a show known for their intense bias against nintendo

I'm not going to say it was a particularly great review, but I'm not sure I'd call bias. Point being, it wouldn't matter how well composed it was to the fanboys. They just see an attack on their beloved Nintendo.

-President John Adams

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

748. Posted:

The Fox wrote:

but Super Paper Mario and Mario Kart Wii both rightfully had mixed reviews that sent the fanboys off.

Can't this be said about all fanboys on all sides?

Oh yeah it can.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

JGMR

749. Posted:

Sorry...i couldn't resist :$ most comments by people are very optimistic.

Playthrough 1
Playthrough 2
Playthrough 3
Playthrough 4
Playthrough 5
Playthrough 6

With kind regards,

JGMR

AuthorMessage

NFreak007

750. Posted:

It's weird, but the more reviews* of Other M I read the more excited I get, even the bad ones!

The only things that almost all of the review criticise are the voice acting and the controls. I've watched a few cutscenes on YouTube and while the voice acting is cheesey it's not that bad really, and I actually prefer D-pads to analog sticks so I doubt I'll mind the controls that much!
Also, about the story: I don't know any major plot details so for all I know it could be terrible, but I'm really liking the idea of a cutscene and story-heavy Metroid game! I know a lot of reviewers have been less than complimentary about it, but it's been too long since I played a story-heavy game and I'm looking forward to that almost as much as the game itself!

*No, I don't count G4's so-called 'review' in that. Between this and Morgan Webb's comments about Galaxy 2 it's obvious that they REALLY don't like Nintendo for some reason!

I was hiding under your porch because I love you...

AuthorMessage

EarthViper

751. Posted:

The+Fox wrote:

Interestingly enough, the "people only dislike this review because their a fanboy" comments start about the same time too. Sometimes people just call a reviewer on a hack-job and sometimes the critics bias is even more obvious than the bias of 'fanboys' crying about the score. I won't pretend that there aren't people who can't stand criticism of their favorite franchise/company but I also won't pretend that the state of mainstream gaming reviews doesn't deserve some criticism itself.

EarthViper

AuthorMessage

Punny

752. Posted:

What have I started? :|

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage

ASDFGHJKL

753. Posted:

So the verdict after reading several reviews: This is a great game, but the weird design choices might go well with you or not. So the game itself is not love it or hate, but many of the elements in the game are. But it still looks like a very fun game, just be prepared to face off against some unusual game design choices. Some pople hated first person, some people loved it. Some people loved the graphics, some listed it as the only bad thing about the game. Some people hate the cutscenes, some people loved them.

ASDFGHJKL

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

754. Posted:

The+Fox wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

I'm not going to say it was a particularly great review, but I'm not sure I'd call bias. Point being, it wouldn't matter how well composed it was to the fanboys. They just see an attack on their beloved Nintendo.

Again, you're generalizing. And you're also ignoring the possibility that some reviewers may, in fact, be biased fanboys themselves. I consider myself a massive Metroid fan an I, along with many other people here, are actually been really intrigued by the negative reviews--the only thing more exciting than universal acclaim is polarizing controversy. The possibility that I might hate this new Metroid game, to me, is far more compelling than knowing that I'm going to immediately fall in love with it. And this is coming from a Metroid fanboy.

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

755. Posted:

GabeGreens wrote:

So the verdict after reading several reviews: This is a great game, but the weird design choices might go well with you or not. So the game itself is not love it or hate, but many of the elements in the game are. But it still looks like a very fun game, just be prepared to face off against some unusual game design choices. Some pople hated first person, some people loved it. Some people loved the graphics, some listed it as the only bad thing about the game. Some people hate the cutscenes, some people loved them.

A great summary of the reviews so far. This is probably the most excited I've been for a Metroid game since...wow, maybe ever. I'm really loving the controversy.

AuthorMessage

ASDFGHJKL

756. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

GabeGreens wrote:

A great summary of the reviews so far. This is probably the most excited I've been for a Metroid game since...wow, maybe ever. I'm really loving the controversy.

Well the controversy is the lone child of a game trying something new on almost every single count. Some people dont deal with change as well as others.

Edited on by ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL

AuthorMessage

EarthViper

757. Posted:

GabeGreens wrote:

Well the controversy is the lone child of a game trying something new on almost every single count. Some people dont deal with change as well as others.

Yet I'd bet money that many of those same folks will be ready and waiting with the 'we've played this same game before' complaints when Pokemon Black/White or Zelda Skyward Sword come out. There are some who simply can't be pleased unless they've decided ahead of time that they will and that goes for fanboys who will love a game even if it's mediocre as well as haters who will bash a game even if it's spectacular. This is why I sometimes feel sorry for game studios, especially the big ones; because for every fanboy out there salivating at every thing you release there's a hater for whom you are "****** if you do and ****** if you don't."

Edited on by EarthViper

EarthViper

AuthorMessage

JGMR

758. Posted:

Hehe, talking about 'change'... That's the major point i guess. The game doesn't really change Metroid's original characteristics, in fact, it seems to stay true to the roots. The change came when Metroid Prime came along. That was change. And now people seem to falsely complain that Metroid 'changed'? What illusions!

With kind regards,

JGMR

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

759. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

the negative reviews have excited me just as much as the negative ones

Logically, they'd have to.

Edited on by Philip_J_Reed

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage

Blink

760. Posted:

Well, given the fact that every other big site has given Other M either positive or mixed reviews, and G4 is the only site (that I've found so far, it's not even on Metacritic) that gave it an actual bad score, I'm going to have to call bias. There's no two buts about it.

3DS FC: 3780-9141-3051 (Scott)
Steam user name: Blink the Conjurer
I believe in the power. The power of GRAMMAR! Huzzah!
Binary solo! 1000101 1000101