Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 721 to 740 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

Punny

721. Posted:

moomoo wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

I HAVE FURY!!!! G4 gave the game a 2/5! It's not THAT bad! It might not top Super Metroid, but it's not a 2/5! I'm also mad at Game Informer for giving it a 6.5 just because they don't like the long cutscenes and shifting to first-person! Impatient, lazy bums....

G4 also gave Prime 3 a 3/5. That should give you an idea of how they are.

Biased sons of guns. I never knew that they gave a great game like Metroid Prime 3 a mediocre score! I guess I was a bit angry. :)

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage

MrWout

722. Posted:

PunnyGuy wrote:

moomoo wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

I HAVE FURY!!!! G4 gave the game a 2/5! It's not THAT bad! It might not top Super Metroid, but it's not a 2/5! I'm also mad at Game Informer for giving it a 6.5 just because they don't like the long cutscenes and shifting to first-person! Impatient, lazy bums....

Biased sons of guns. I never knew that they gave a great game like Metroid Prime 3 a mediocre score! I guess I was a bit angry. :)

They rage on for hours about that she has been portrayed in a sexist way, and that the game isn't true to her character....as if they know that better than the creator of the character herself......OMG she has emotions....super sexist........

Edited on by MrWout

MrWout

AuthorMessage

Kingbuilder

723. Posted:

I expected the game to be a bit disappointing, but I preordered it anyway. I'm such a loyal fanboy.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

AuthorMessage

Punny

724. Posted:

MrWout wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

moomoo wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

They rage on for hours about that she has been portrayed in a sexist way, and that the game isn't true to her character....as if they know that better than the creator of the character herself......OMG she has emotions....super sexist........

Oh, WAAAAAA! I'm G4 and I hate changes! WAAAAAA!

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage

MrWout

725. Posted:

Aaah I'm so irritated by that G4 review....I'm really not a fanboy, I mean I can stand a bad review score that is accompanied with the necessary reasons for the score, like for instance the Destructoid review. Their score is totally rectified by the rest of the review, and their arguments are solid. But the G4 review is just mindbogglingly subjective, the female reviewer just seems be veeeeeerrry irritated by the fact that Samus has been portrayed as a believable person, and sees it as sexist, while these emotions she shows are just the same for men. She also complains about the fact that she doesn't use her "gadgets" becaus "a man tells her not to" while it actually is her commanding officer who tells her not to. In the Gametrailers review they even applauded this "mechanic" as the first believable scheme to take away your "gadgets".

Edited on by MrWout

MrWout

AuthorMessage

erv

726. Posted:

I'm sooo loving this...I think this is a game many don't understand as an experience because it is hard to relate to anything we already know, which are the set-in-stone genres we all know already.

Whether it's as bad as some of the reviewers say it is is something I highly doubt, because their reviews are more opinion articles. I want a quality review now, and trust those more. The better written ones, the more explaining types, the more aspects are highlighted, the better the scores. I still think this game is going to be good, but am LOVING this supposed division between the "good game" and "bad game" camps. Real fun.

Will see for myself next week yay :)!

Warrior of Dearth!

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

AuthorMessage

EarthViper

727. Posted:

If I were to take reviews seriously, which I don't, G4 and Game Informer would be at the BOTTOM of the list. I can't say how this game will turn out without playing it but suffice to say those two sources could have given the game a -200/10 and it wouldn't affect my decision to buy or not buy.

EarthViper

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

728. Posted:

EarthViper wrote:

If I were to take reviews seriously, which I don't, G4 and Game Informer would be at the BOTTOM of the list. I can't say how this game will turn out without playing it but suffice to say those two sources could have given the game a -200/10 and it wouldn't affect my decision to buy or not buy.

Well said, sir...

Also, about that woman saying Samus's portrayal is "sexist"... go burn a bra, seriously, or better yet, go cook me something (how's that for sexist?). I guess if any main character in a franchise isn't a mute or a grizzled space-Arnold Schwarzenegger, then gamers take offense to them and/or dismiss them, how sad...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

AuthorMessage

Gamer83

729. Posted:

MrWout wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

moomoo wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

That was my biggest problem with the review. I felt the complaints of weak story, poor character development, lacking in atmosphere and clunky controls were all valid. The problem is, the review to me came across as some feminist whining that Nintendo's characterization of Samus doesn't match that of the one the reviewer had conjured up in her head for years based on nothing really. The 2/5 score wouldn't have bothered me had the review been professional. GI didn't give the game a glowing review either but the guy gave his reasons. He didn't like the story or how Samus was portrayed and he gave me some detail as to what bothered him about the gameplay, that review came across as very professional and though it was negative certainly I could see it having merit. I'll find out when I play the game for myself.

Gamer83

AuthorMessage

romulux

730. Posted:

for what it's worth gamefan apparently gave it a 9.5 and declared it "best metroid ever", so it's probably safe to assume that's the high water mark for reviews. this, however is the best one i've read. the guy understands the controls and goes into detail about every criticism he makes, all of which are fair: http://www.n-sider.com/gameview.php?gameid=6446&view=review

the more negative reviews haven't dampened my enthusiasm but they do bring up some good points about what project m did wrong. trying to streamline the controls to appeal to retro gamers is kind of negated by that cutting edge switch to first person that even hardcore gamers are struggling with. the control scheme itself still sounds like the best possible choice, but they clearly aren't winning over those easily intimidated gamers.

the emphasis on story is also a minefield and i wonder if nintendo knew it would get this bad going in. after letting fans build up their own image of a silent protagonist for two decades you can't tell them "no, she's actually like this". it doesn't matter how you do it, people have made it clear that they aren't open to different interpretations of their favorite characters (all of those shockingly negative reviews were based on the game's cutscenes, not gameplay). for those of you who wanted it, you can kiss any chances of link getting voiced in the future good.friggin.bye and then some.

i think defining samus a little was long overdue and can't wait to see the story myself, but for all the trouble it's caused maybe it'd have been better to keep it a silly little game where you blast aliens and pick up lasers everywhere for no reason. i obviously won't know for sure until next week, but i still think telling samus' story was a one-time necessity for the series and i commend them for having the balls to do it.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

Gamer83

731. Posted:

Dave Halverson's review in Gamefan is on the opposite end of G4's. Where as that woman is screaming about sexism, this guy, who has admitted several times he has a thing for games with female leads, goes way over the top with praise. 'Best Metroid ever.' Really? Better than Super Metroid, Prime 1 or the Metroid 1 and 2? I'd have an easier time believing this if other reviews backed him up but even the positive reviews don't put the game in that category. I actually like Halverson and think he's one of the better gaming journalists out there, but he does get over excited sometimes.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

AuthorMessage

TheBaconator

732. Posted:

Can we stop complaining about one review score, until the game is relesed. Who knows maybe it will only be a 2/5 in your opinion, but I highly doubt you will admit it.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

AuthorMessage

RogueBologna

733. Posted:

ballkirby1 wrote:

Maybe it was a good thing that other guy only played 6 hours because he probably would've graded it even worse.

I`d rather have an accurate review than a higher score.

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7445-0519

AuthorMessage

RogueBologna

734. Posted:

ballkirby1 wrote:

Maybe it was a good thing that other guy only played 6 hours because he probably would've graded it even worse.

I`d rather have an accurate review than a higher score.

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7445-0519

AuthorMessage

MrWout

735. Posted:

ballkirby1 wrote:

Can we stop complaining about one review score, until the game is relesed. Who knows maybe it will only be a 2/5 in your opinion, but I highly doubt you will admit it.

I already played the game, so can I complain then ? :p BTW we weren't complaining about the score, as Gamer83 clearly said, but about the lack of justification for that score in the discussed review. In my opinion, which I already expressed a few pages ago, it might not be the best metroid, even a slightly dissapointing one, but it certainly is a great game.

Also in the G4 review they said that when you switch from third to first person view, the game takes a second to recalibrate, wich is absolutely not true, as mentioned before I've played the game and the transition was smooth as butter, and I never had a a moment where it broke the gameplay. The fact that this mechanic does work is also mentioned in many reviews (they sometimes differ on their ideas about its merits gameplaywise, but they all acknowledge that the technical side of it works).

Edited on by MrWout

MrWout

AuthorMessage

Angaran

736. Posted:

This is my first Metroid game do you think I will like it? it does still look cool

Angaran

AuthorMessage

MrWout

737. Posted:

Angaran wrote:

This is my first Metroid game do you think I will like it? it does still look cool

The atmosphere is there, the action is pretty awesome, and yeah the script and controls are debatable, it seems they are of a "you love it or hate" quality, I for one love it, but some hate it. I advice to read some reviews or find somewhere to try out the game if you are still doubtful. BTW the script and voice acting are exactly like you see in the trailers so if you hated those, there won't be a chance you will like it in the game I dare say. But if this isn't really a factor for you I advise you to get it :p

Edited on by MrWout

MrWout

AuthorMessage

Angaran

738. Posted:

Yeah thanks I do like the voice acting and i get use to controls eaisly

Angaran

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

739. Posted:

I've really been enjoying reading reviews for this game. It's so polarizing, which excites me, and it seems like those who think it's great and those who think it's bad seem to have pretty strong arguments. The only discrepency seems to be in the control department--some have praised their accuracy while others have bashed their inconsistance. I think the best review I've read has been Gamespot's. They seem to have addressed all of the game's flaws in an unbiased way.

As for G4...well I've always despised them anyway

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Angaran

740. Posted:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/metroid-other-m/critic-rev...
Check this out

Angaran