Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 701 to 720 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

TheBaconator

701. Posted:

My brother who isn't a big fan of Metroid games was looking at the different reviews for this game with me and after we were done he did make a very good point on why this game is a mixed bag in the reviews. He said "Do you think anyone would even like this game if it didn't have Metroid pasted all over it?" Now that I think about I highly doubt that people would've even cared or liked this game if it wasn't a Metroid game. If it played the exact same way but you didn't play as Samus but some other character and it wasn't called Metroid I don't think anyone would have been looking forward to this games and the review would have probably been lower. I'm starting to trust the low review more then the ones who praised it now because I think the reviewers who gave it average/bad reviews looked past the fact that it was a Metroid game and played it like a completly new series and then they say it wasn't that good.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

AuthorMessage

Faron

702. Posted:

It seems that they haven't completely ruined this game, but it's clearly not the masterpiece that many of us waited. I'll buy it whatever the case is, if just for the story.

Faron

AuthorMessage

Mizore

703. Posted:

To make it better, the music is orchestrated. (however you spell it)

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
"If I find out that you're lying to me, I will stalk you...then freeze you solid.".

AuthorMessage

TopLaytonsHat

704. Posted:

@ballkirby1; That is an interesting point and although it may be true there are two sides to the point. Maybe no one would care but maybe the game is getting some poor reviews because the Metroid franchise has such high standards. Maybe if it wasn't a Metroid game it would get better scores (or would not be judged as harshly) because people would not compare it to Super Metroid or the Prime series. Anyway thats just a thought.

TopLaytonsHat

AuthorMessage

irken004

705. Posted:

Corbie said this isn't anything like the Prime games, so it's a definite buy for me :D

Backloggery

AuthorMessage

Faron

706. Posted:

I just can't get over the fact that this game which was number one in my wanted list isn't a masterpiece like every Metroid game should be. Although for me, Metroid Prime 3 was also a minor dissapointment, since it didn't bring almost anything (except the controls) new in the table.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Faron

AuthorMessage

TheBaconator

707. Posted:

LaytonAprentice wrote:

@ballkirby1; That is an interesting point and although it may be true there are two sides to the point. Maybe no one would care but maybe the game is getting some poor reviews because the Metroid franchise has such high standards. Maybe if it wasn't a Metroid game it would get better scores (or would not be judged as harshly) because people would not compare it to Super Metroid or the Prime series. Anyway thats just a thought.

That's also a good point. I think the outcome of the reviews if it weren't a Metroid game would be that the reviews that praised it would fall and the bad review scores would rise for a more average, well, average. I think this because the combined reason I stated before is the fact the title Metroid is raising review, but the lower score would raise because, like you said, the review wouldn't be expecting another masterpiece.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

AuthorMessage

irken004

708. Posted:

Faron wrote:

Goddamnit. I just can't get over the fact that this game which was number one in my wanted list isn't a masterpiece like every Metroid game should be. Although for me, Metroid Prime 3 was also a minor dissapointment, since it didn't bring almost anything (except the controls) new in the table.

I thought the Prime series were pretty bad imo. Too much exploration/puzzle solving to even properly enjoy the combat. Luckily the combat in Other M appears to be better, other than the perspective changing. This also means I wouldn't have to bother finding upgrades because they will be unlocked as you progress. That sounds good to me!

Backloggery

AuthorMessage

Faron

709. Posted:

irken004 wrote:

Faron wrote:

Goddamnit. I just can't get over the fact that this game which was number one in my wanted list isn't a masterpiece like every Metroid game should be. Although for me, Metroid Prime 3 was also a minor dissapointment, since it didn't bring almost anything (except the controls) new in the table.

I thought the Prime series were pretty bad imo. Too much exploration/puzzle solving to even properly enjoy the combat. Luckily the combat in Other M appears to be better, other than the perspective changing. This also means I wouldn't have to bother finding upgrades because they will be unlocked as you progress. That sounds good to me!

There certainly are as many tastes as there are people.

Faron

AuthorMessage

irken004

710. Posted:

Faron wrote:

There certainly are as many tastes as there are people.

Agreed! "Different strokes for different folks," some may say.

EDIT here's part 1 of a playthrough someone on youtube posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40JNF8MShAQ

Edited on by irken004

Backloggery

AuthorMessage

hylianhalcyon

711. Posted:

I prefer atmosphere and exploration over combat in Metroid, as Metroid has never been about combat. So some of the reviews saying it's an action game that doesn't have much atmosphere has me worried. So far from reading reviews I've gathered that this may be my least favorite Metroid. Of course, I won't know until I play it.

Edited on by hylianhalcyon

"People who alter or destroy works of art and cultural heritage for profit, or as an exercise of power, are barbarians." - George Lucas, 1988

AuthorMessage

Mizore

712. Posted:

lol reminds me of the Primes and everyone calling them an FPS. xD

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
"If I find out that you're lying to me, I will stalk you...then freeze you solid.".

AuthorMessage

Angaran

713. Posted:

I dont care about some of these reviews, And I'am going to get this and finish it.

Angaran

AuthorMessage

hylianhalcyon

714. Posted:

I thought the Prime games(specifically the first) superbly retained the atmosphere and exploration of previous Metroids. So far I'm getting the impression that Other M may be a more action oriented Metroid Fusion with pretty cheesy cutscenes and a whiny Samus, which doesn't work for me. I did like Fusion and it is a good game, but it's still ranked near the bottom end in the series for me. As I said before though, I'll have to play the game to form a true opinion.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and cultural heritage for profit, or as an exercise of power, are barbarians." - George Lucas, 1988

AuthorMessage

LordJumpMad

715. Posted:

if it plays like Super Metroid, then i don't see this as a bad thing

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

AuthorMessage

Punny

716. Posted:

I HAVE FURY!!!! G4 gave the game a 2/5! It's not THAT bad! It might not top Super Metroid, but it's not a 2/5! I'm also mad at Game Informer for giving it a 6.5 just because they don't like the long cutscenes and shifting to first-person! Impatient, lazy bums....

Edited on by Punny

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage

LordJumpMad

717. Posted:

PunnyGuy wrote:

I HAVE FURY!!!! G4 gave the game a 2/5! It's not THAT bad! It might not top Super Metroid, but it's not a 2/5! I'm also mad at Game Informer for giving it a 6.5 just because they don't like the long cutscenes and shifting to first-person! Impatient, lazy bums....

I just lose the Hype :$

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

AuthorMessage

MrWout

718. Posted:

http://g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/Metroid-Other-M/review/

Most negative review I've seen so far, but this one is just not objective, I mean just hear her talk and you know this is not a decent review.

But anyway I've already played 4 hours of the game, been a long time metroid fan and I absolutely ADORE this game. I had no issues whatsoever with the controls. It is a bit easier yes, but it's still challenging.

The story takes over quite a lot more than in the previous titles but for me this really is a plus. Also the voice acting and writing has had some criticism too but I kind off like it, but this is really a style you love or hate, I for one love "inner monologue" and auto-biographic writing so it really is my cup of tea.

I advice all all wii owners to give this game a chance, it might be a slightly disappointing metroid to some, but it still is an awesome game.

MrWout

AuthorMessage

Punny

719. Posted:

JumpMad wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

I just lose the Hype :$

This game did get a lot of good reviews, though! Metroid: Other M is praised for the quality of its cutscenes, excellent boss battles, and the satisfaction of finding that one item. Don't lose the hype! :)

Edited on by Punny

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage

moomoo

720. Posted:

PunnyGuy wrote:

G4 also gave Prime 3 a 3/5. That should give you an idea of how they are.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14