Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 701 to 720 of 1,742

Cia

I just can't get over the fact that this game which was number one in my wanted list isn't a masterpiece like every Metroid game should be. Although for me, Metroid Prime 3 was also a minor dissapointment, since it didn't bring almost anything (except the controls) new in the table.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Cia

TheBaconator

LaytonAprentice wrote:

@ballkirby1; That is an interesting point and although it may be true there are two sides to the point. Maybe no one would care but maybe the game is getting some poor reviews because the Metroid franchise has such high standards. Maybe if it wasn't a Metroid game it would get better scores (or would not be judged as harshly) because people would not compare it to Super Metroid or the Prime series. Anyway thats just a thought.

That's also a good point. I think the outcome of the reviews if it weren't a Metroid game would be that the reviews that praised it would fall and the bad review scores would rise for a more average, well, average. I think this because the combined reason I stated before is the fact the title Metroid is raising review, but the lower score would raise because, like you said, the review wouldn't be expecting another masterpiece.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

irken004

Faron wrote:

Goddamnit. I just can't get over the fact that this game which was number one in my wanted list isn't a masterpiece like every Metroid game should be. Although for me, Metroid Prime 3 was also a minor dissapointment, since it didn't bring almost anything (except the controls) new in the table.

I thought the Prime series were pretty bad imo. Too much exploration/puzzle solving to even properly enjoy the combat. Luckily the combat in Other M appears to be better, other than the perspective changing. This also means I wouldn't have to bother finding upgrades because they will be unlocked as you progress. That sounds good to me!

Cia

irken004 wrote:

Faron wrote:

Goddamnit. I just can't get over the fact that this game which was number one in my wanted list isn't a masterpiece like every Metroid game should be. Although for me, Metroid Prime 3 was also a minor dissapointment, since it didn't bring almost anything (except the controls) new in the table.

I thought the Prime series were pretty bad imo. Too much exploration/puzzle solving to even properly enjoy the combat. Luckily the combat in Other M appears to be better, other than the perspective changing. This also means I wouldn't have to bother finding upgrades because they will be unlocked as you progress. That sounds good to me!

There certainly are as many tastes as there are people.

Cia

hylianhalcyon

I prefer atmosphere and exploration over combat in Metroid, as Metroid has never been about combat. So some of the reviews saying it's an action game that doesn't have much atmosphere has me worried. So far from reading reviews I've gathered that this may be my least favorite Metroid. Of course, I won't know until I play it.

Edited on by hylianhalcyon

"People who alter or destroy works of art and cultural heritage for profit, or as an exercise of power, are barbarians." - George Lucas, 1988

Joeynator3000

lol reminds me of the Primes and everyone calling them an FPS. xD

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Angaran

I dont care about some of these reviews, And I'am going to get this and finish it.

Angaran

hylianhalcyon

I thought the Prime games(specifically the first) superbly retained the atmosphere and exploration of previous Metroids. So far I'm getting the impression that Other M may be a more action oriented Metroid Fusion with pretty cheesy cutscenes and a whiny Samus, which doesn't work for me. I did like Fusion and it is a good game, but it's still ranked near the bottom end in the series for me. As I said before though, I'll have to play the game to form a true opinion.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and cultural heritage for profit, or as an exercise of power, are barbarians." - George Lucas, 1988

LordJumpMad

if it plays like Super Metroid, then i don't see this as a bad thing

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Punny

I HAVE FURY!!!! G4 gave the game a 2/5! It's not THAT bad! It might not top Super Metroid, but it's not a 2/5! I'm also mad at Game Informer for giving it a 6.5 just because they don't like the long cutscenes and shifting to first-person! Impatient, lazy bums....

Edited on by Punny

I'm back (for the moment)!

LordJumpMad

PunnyGuy wrote:

I HAVE FURY!!!! G4 gave the game a 2/5! It's not THAT bad! It might not top Super Metroid, but it's not a 2/5! I'm also mad at Game Informer for giving it a 6.5 just because they don't like the long cutscenes and shifting to first-person! Impatient, lazy bums....

I just lose the Hype

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

MrWout

http://g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/Metroid-Other-M/review/

Most negative review I've seen so far, but this one is just not objective, I mean just hear her talk and you know this is not a decent review.

But anyway I've already played 4 hours of the game, been a long time metroid fan and I absolutely ADORE this game. I had no issues whatsoever with the controls. It is a bit easier yes, but it's still challenging.

The story takes over quite a lot more than in the previous titles but for me this really is a plus. Also the voice acting and writing has had some criticism too but I kind off like it, but this is really a style you love or hate, I for one love "inner monologue" and auto-biographic writing so it really is my cup of tea.

I advice all all wii owners to give this game a chance, it might be a slightly disappointing metroid to some, but it still is an awesome game.

MrWout

Punny

JumpMad wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

I just lose the Hype

This game did get a lot of good reviews, though! Metroid: Other M is praised for the quality of its cutscenes, excellent boss battles, and the satisfaction of finding that one item. Don't lose the hype!

Edited on by Punny

moomoo

PunnyGuy wrote:

G4 also gave Prime 3 a 3/5. That should give you an idea of how they are.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

Punny

moomoo wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

Biased sons of guns. I never knew that they gave a great game like Metroid Prime 3 a mediocre score! I guess I was a bit angry.

MrWout

PunnyGuy wrote:

moomoo wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

Biased sons of guns. I never knew that they gave a great game like Metroid Prime 3 a mediocre score! I guess I was a bit angry.

They rage on for hours about that she has been portrayed in a sexist way, and that the game isn't true to her character....as if they know that better than the creator of the character herself......OMG she has emotions....super sexist........

Edited on by MrWout

MrWout

Kingbuilder

I expected the game to be a bit disappointing, but I preordered it anyway. I'm such a loyal fanboy.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

Punny

MrWout wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

moomoo wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

They rage on for hours about that she has been portrayed in a sexist way, and that the game isn't true to her character....as if they know that better than the creator of the character herself......OMG she has emotions....super sexist........

Oh, WAAAAAA! I'm G4 and I hate changes! WAAAAAA!

MrWout

Aaah I'm so irritated by that G4 review....I'm really not a fanboy, I mean I can stand a bad review score that is accompanied with the necessary reasons for the score, like for instance the Destructoid review. Their score is totally rectified by the rest of the review, and their arguments are solid. But the G4 review is just mindbogglingly subjective, the female reviewer just seems be veeeeeerrry irritated by the fact that Samus has been portrayed as a believable person, and sees it as sexist, while these emotions she shows are just the same for men. She also complains about the fact that she doesn't use her "gadgets" becaus "a man tells her not to" while it actually is her commanding officer who tells her not to. In the Gametrailers review they even applauded this "mechanic" as the first believable scheme to take away your "gadgets".

Edited on by MrWout

MrWout

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic