Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 301 to 320 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

301. Posted:

@romulux: Thanks for the link—I say link because only the first one is really worth reading, but you knew that already—that was quite a good read...

As for the other article, well, the guy playing was obviously under the learning curve mentioned to him by the PR person...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

AuthorMessage

Adam

302. Posted:

You're kind of harsh on anyone who doesn't like this game, despite not having played it yet. His concerns sound legitimate. I would expect the IR to point where I point it, too. That sounds nothing but natural.

The Crystal Flash drains your weapons in favor of energy. You don't just stand still and get everything back. And it's not available until late. That's not at all the same (though kudos for bringing it up).

And you grossly misrepresent his attitude toward the story. He doesn't fault it for being emotional. He faults it for being cheesy and inconsistent with her in-game character.

He's listing concerns, not saying the game is bad, just that it could be. I'd like to think we aren't "idiots" for sharing his concerns.

It seems like his only lasting concern is the story, which pretty much coincides with my worries. That isn't a huge complaint since it's all lagniappe, and certainly not enough to qualify anyone as "haters." I'm still greatly looking forward to the game, despite minor reservations, as it looks more and more with each trailer like a 3D Fusion or Zero Mission. I think the writer is looking forward to it, too.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

romulux

303. Posted:

man, stuff is coming up left and right now. here's the newer japanese box:
Untitled

and new 4 minute video. the environment about 2 1/2 minutes in looks amazing: http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=131726
there's also Iwata asks! ...in japanese.

adam, the 1st person system is the same as the zelda's aside from using the IR camera instead of a button. if he were reviewing ocarina of time and held it against the game that he wound up facing a wall every time he went to 1st, it'd clearly be his own problem. it's no different here, although i can understand that IR controls confuse things a bit. my problem was that he liked the switch by the end of his review, but still wrote an article that held it against the game that he didn't know how to use it right at the beginning.

if i sound harsh it's because i've read a lot of impressions where people make pretty unreasonable complaints. there was one guy who criticized the story without even having seen any of the scenes just because 'team ninja doesn't do story well'. nevermind that sakamoto wrote it and D rockets animated it, leaving team ninja little if any part of the storytelling. and this guy i linked above seemed to be criticizing the story as cheesy because it was emotional, at least that's how it came off to me.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

Adam

304. Posted:

Yea, that environment looks wonderful. Game play is looking good, too. At this point my only worry is regarding the story, and I can always skip that if it turns out to be bad!

romulux wrote:

the 1st person system is the same as the zelda's aside from using the IR camera instead of a button. it's no different here,

But you just said how it's different. Turning the remote at the TV for Metroid, the natural instinct is that you will aim where you point it.

He's giving impressions as if he were going through the game. At first IR's confusing, but then he adjusts. He's holding the learning curve against it, if anything.

romulux wrote:

and this guy i linked above seemed to be criticizing the story as cheesy because it was emotional

He said that the cut scene character and in-game character seem inconsistent. In the cut scenes Samus supposedly sounds vulnerable, weak, and inexperienced. But then you switch to the game play and she's putting giant man-eating aliens in headlocks and giving them wedgies.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

OldBoy

305. Posted:

That new footage is sweet.Thanks for posting it fellas. Really hyped for this now after being slightly underwhelmed initially.Hope you can skip those cut-scenes though!! Especially if they have no japanese option,the english dub sounds a bit on the cheesy side to me. The action looks like a lot of fun though. :)

What's this bit for again?

AuthorMessage

romulux

306. Posted:

too bad they're so grainy. i can't wait for the iwata asks to be translated... my japanese is miles away from being able read more than the names.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

307. Posted:

@Adam: Judging from what he wrote, when he refers to Samus as "vulnerable, weak and inexperienced" he's mostly talking about her under Adam's command (the whole part about her giving him the thumbs down and explaining why in an inner monologue), when she was still a soldier. In other words, she was that way, but once you're actually playing she's present-day, Power Suit-wearing, species-eradicating, most feared bounty hunter in the universe Samus. Time elapsing isn't exactly inconsistency, wouldn't you agree?

@romulux: Thanks for the new link, I hope translators can crank out an English version of that new Iwata Asks feature soon...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

308. Posted:

I'm happy to say the game is looking much better to me now than it did a few weeks ago.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

irken004

309. Posted:

Odnetnin wrote:

I'm happy to say the game is looking much better to me now than it did a few weeks ago.

Agreed. I'm sure it'll seem even better near launch time.

Backloggery

AuthorMessage

Adam

310. Posted:

True, but to be fair, Metroid Fan, that was my (bad) wording, what you quoted. He didn't say inconsistent. I think it was just an unpleasant juxtaposition for him. Seeing this tough warrior as she narrates via voice over about how he was like a dad to her, all set to some perhaps overly emotional piano music (his opinion, not mine; pretty sure I haven't seen these scenes yet, at least not with music and voice over). ...shrug. We'll see for ourselves very soon. Impossible to judge when we haven't seen what he's seen / heard what he's heard.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

311. Posted:

It just seems like pretty much everyone giving their opinion on the game (what they've played so far) seems to be all up in arms about the story and how "emotional" Samus is. She was just as emotional in Fusion, it's just that her inner monologues and conversations with Adam weren't voiced. They seem to expect the same stoic/"badass" attitude from her that you get from every protagonist in any FPS game on the HD twins, and while she is a badass, she's also human (and humans have gasp emotions)...

You're right, though, we'll get to see soon enough just how legitimate their worries are...

AuthorMessage

Adam

312. Posted:

Ehh, I don't recall Samus being remotely emotional in Fusion unless you count perhaps some vague nostalgia, but it's been awhile. And again, he never complained that she has emotions. That's a huge exaggeration. He just said that it was cheesy. Sometimes emotion can be overdone.

There's nothing wrong with a character being stoic if done right. In past games, it made sense for her character. I don't see what that has to do with any FPS hero. Not only are most nothing like this, but Samus predates ever FPS ever. It doesn't make sense to think people expect her character to retroactively become like someone created after her.

It must just seem weird to some to have an emotional scene followed immediately by blasting aliens in the face. I can see how the music might be overdone, but I agree that since they're flashbacks the characterization makes sense.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

hulklol123456789

313. Posted:

I LOVE metroid game but sometimes they get too hard and challening, and most of the times I get lost in the maps, thats why most of the times I need to use a guide and that most of the time I don't like to because I fell like cheating but most of the time I need one, so...

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

314. Posted:

@hulk: The only Metroid game where I sometimes end up disoriented is Metroid II, but that's because it lacks a map and the corridors all look the same, also because I have the habit of getting into areas I shouldn't be in yet by braving the lava (or whatever that liquid is that lowers after you kill a certain amount of Metroids)...

Which Metroid games have you played, by the way?

AuthorMessage

hulklol123456789

315. Posted:

@Metroid_Fan, the only one I have played, love and own is metroid Prime 2: corruption. Im right now actually stucked before a boss, because where Im suposed to regenerate my health (a lithg portal) there is a normal monster the one idk how to kill (it is like a spider, or like a ball with spider legs or with tentacles, ok like a purple glowing ball that have tentacles or spider legs and attack me) Do you nkow maybe how to defeat it?

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

316. Posted:

@hulk: That's actually Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and your description is a bit too vague for me to discern where it is that you are. From your description it just sounds like a regular Warrior Ing that you're fighting, though...

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

317. Posted:

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this yet but here's a link t... If by chance this has already been posted please let me know. ;)

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

318. Posted:

Good or bad I pre-ordered my copy. Team Ninja is awesome and the reason I recently bought a Wii in the first place. It wasn't until later that I found out Yoshio Sakamoto was the one in charge of developing Metroid Other M. He's only made 2d Metroid games so far and said in an interview that he was hoping to bring metroid back to it's roots. Now I'm worried. I'm all for making Metroid a third person platformer again but if Other M turns out to be a 2.5d game (like Kirby 64 or Crash Bandicoot) I'll be begging for Retro Studios to come back. I'm confident it will still be a fun game to play through once even if it's not better than Metroid Prime, but I'm hoping it's better.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

BulbasaurusRex

319. Posted:

romulux wrote:

this is the coolest part:
"There's a 'theater mode' that lets you view all of the cutscenes linked together seamlessly as a single movie"... This theater-mode movie is about two hours in length and divided into chapters like a DVD film.

It's not just the movie cutscenes straight from the game, though -- there's some pre-recorded gameplay bits to it as well, although those sections aren't recorded off your own moves as you beat the game. "I wanted to do that," Sakamoto said, "but we're using our own sample play data instead because that's also a way of giving the player hints -- like, you can beat this particular boss this way too, and so forth."

that would have been pretty cool, getting to watch your own gameplay in the real time scenes, but whatever. notice that he says there are different ways to beat bosses; reminds me of the killing draygon with the grapple beam.

Wow! Just wow! That is literally Metroid: Other M the Movie! They could get away with just putting that on a DVD and selling it for $20.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912

AuthorMessage

hulklol123456789

320. Posted:

Oh yeah, metroid prime 2: echoes srry, well it is a really common monster in the dark side, it has no legs and no face, it is just a simple purple glowng ball with tentacles that hit you, idk how to defeat it :(, and no it is not a warrior ing.

Edited on by hulklol123456789