Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 281 to 300 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

BulbasaurusRex

281. Posted:

I personally have no problem with Samus's voice acting. She's a loner who is (so far) narrating the game as being past events. If the game was having her actually respond to Adam at the present time, her tone of voice would've been different.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912

AuthorMessage

romulux

282. Posted:

it's pretty clear that the acting and dialog are going to be miles ahead of corruption already. the other bounty hunters felt like one dimensional comic book characters and were really out of place in that game, it's good to see sakamoto is taking the story much more seriously.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

283. Posted:

I don't know, I loved the voice acting and the other Bounty Hunters in Corruption...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

AuthorMessage

Kingbuilder

284. Posted:

I'm a bit skeptical about this one. Missions have ruined both Fusion and Corruption for me. Here's to hoping that this one doesn't get ruined the same.

I preorded it already, so if it is a trainwreck. It's my trainwreck. :D

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

AuthorMessage

pikku

285. Posted:

Metroid_Fan wrote:

I don't know, I loved the voice acting and the other Bounty Hunters in Corruption...

me too, and ironically, Fusion and Corruption are my favorite Metroid games lol

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

AuthorMessage

Adam

286. Posted:

I don't remember main characters in Corruption being bad, though the minor characters who'd talk as you passed by were ridiculous and unnecessary. But I barely played the game.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

SuperPeach

287. Posted:

@Adam the unnecessary characters were really only in the beginning. Later your alone like in most metroid games, at least in the part that I've played anyway which is about halfway through.

SuperPeach

AuthorMessage

Adam

288. Posted:

That is what I figured. But I also meant that I wasn't sure if the main characters (bounty hunters and whatnot) were well-acted throughout.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

romulux

289. Posted:

the acting wasn't the problem so much as the choice of when to use it in general. in a metroid game where every interaction is going to intrude into the isolation and loneliness you'd expect them to be very careful about making each line count, but instead you wind up with bounty hunters delivering generic one liners and a texan general patting you on the back.

it's not poorly done or anything, but it definitely fans the sinister atmosphere out the window and makes the game feel a little cartoonish compared to the other two. (not to mention the extremely generic star warsesque space battle scenes at the beginning and end...)

i did like it when the aurora units talked, since they have such simultaneously relaxing and disturbing voices which fit the metroid world really well. they also just give you information you need without any superfluous stuff. because retro didn't exactly go out on a limb to offer a serious and compelling story, i wish they would have limited the acting to functional things like that instead of adding in a bunch of cool sounding tidbits now and then.

with other m it's clear that there's a real story involving real characters; there was probably more substance to the dialog in that first video than all the interactions in corruption put together.

Edited on by romulux

AuthorMessage

Zenman

290. Posted:

i'm really exited for this game, if not for it's new direction...after all, people said Metroid couldn't work as more of a First Person Shooter...

my deviantART backloggery!
nL chatroom BETAness
my pwnage channel
check out my fanfic!
im not dead...just in college...aka worse
all hail lord veigar!

AuthorMessage

romulux

291. Posted:

awesome new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMBerJtJjM

so much stuff to see. the wave beam, ridley's theme orchestrated, shinesparking... it'd probably be even cooler if i knew what the hell was going on.

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

292. Posted:

Man, I want to watch it!

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

AuthorMessage

romulux

293. Posted:

i wouldn't say this spoils anything that hasn't already been spoiled. although with each video it's becoming clearer that samus' old team is in deep shh....

AuthorMessage

romulux

294. Posted:

another interview type thing: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180610
the interesting parts...

sakamoto respects the prime games:
"There were a lot of things that couldn't be done here without the first-person view that Metroid Prime used," Sakamoto explained. "That's why we have the search view that lets you examine your surroundings from a first-person perspective and fire missiles."

no loading:
"We set it up so that there are as few 'now loading' displays as possible," Hayashi added. "I think we've been able to set up the game so that players can forget that loading is taking place entirely."

this is the coolest part:
"There's a 'theater mode' that lets you view all of the cutscenes linked together seamlessly as a single movie"... This theater-mode movie is about two hours in length and divided into chapters like a DVD film.

It's not just the movie cutscenes straight from the game, though -- there's some pre-recorded gameplay bits to it as well, although those sections aren't recorded off your own moves as you beat the game. "I wanted to do that," Sakamoto said, "but we're using our own sample play data instead because that's also a way of giving the player hints -- like, you can beat this particular boss this way too, and so forth."

that would have been pretty cool, getting to watch your own gameplay in the real time scenes, but whatever. notice that he says there are different ways to beat bosses; reminds me of the killing draygon with the grapple beam.

Edited on by romulux

AuthorMessage

Adam

295. Posted:

That's a really neat idea. So far I haven't seen much in the way of cut scenes that I'd want to rewatch, but there's plenty time to be proven wrong. More adventure games should include a feature like this, if it works well.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

296. Posted:

Awesome interview. Thanks for the link, romulux...

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

297. Posted:

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=131718

Some new gameplay. Looks pretty intense to me.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

298. Posted:

@Chrono: Thanks for the first link, but the second one was already provided by romulux three posts above yours...

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

299. Posted:

@MetroidFan
Ah, I see that now. Thanks I'll take care of that.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

romulux

300. Posted:

impressions: http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/metroid-other-m/preview/metroid...

it says that the switch to 1st person works much more smoothly than before. also- "Fully charging the arm cannon and entering morph ball mode plants five bombs on the spot". i love how they're working in all the hidden super metroid moves.

for you haters, here's the worst impression i've seen yet: http://kotaku.com/5598501/what-if-the-next-metroid-is-a-bad-game

i can't pay any heed to most negative impressions because the authors more often than not make themselves out to be idiots. for instance, complaining that the switch to 1st person leaves you looking in the direction you were facing in... what do you expect? can you hold it against the game that it doesn't magically correct your mistakes and point you the direction you're thinking of?

he then complains about the fact that the story has emotional substance (which he's too macho to be bothered with) and that the game is generally not exactly the same as it's predecessors for a while before surprisingly saying that he actually wound up liking the controls once he figured them out, rendering the entire first half of his article useless.

the best part: "You replenish missiles by "concentrating." That concentration will also refill some of Samus energy if she is low on her last tank of power. These are definitely not the controls of older Metroid games."

Untitled

if you get paid to be a professional nerd, you better do it right.