Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 1,661 to 1,680 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,661. Posted:

don't blame 3d, generic nostalgia man

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

1,662. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

don't blame 3d, generic nostalgia man

Sorry, but I will blame modernisations in the gaming world for destroying gameplay. Immersion no longer feels like an achievement, it's just more immersive. And as for nostalgia, it's one of the biggest reasons why games even get additional entries into their series.

Edited on by WiiAboutU

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

AuthorMessage

SwerdMurd

1,663. Posted:

WiiAboutU wrote:

Immersion no longer feels like an achievement, it's just more immersive.

Please don't describe things anymore.

-Swerd Murd

Owner of VINTAGE Games. http://www.vintagegames.us

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

1,664. Posted:

BellGoRiiing wrote:

Seriously, you people are still blabbering about the game's flaws or how "terrible" it is?

I honestly couldn't agree more but dude, think, it's the internet.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

1,665. Posted:

LosAngeloTip wrote:

WiiAboutU wrote:

If you can word it better, then more power to you buddy. I'm going to keep describing how I feel, to the best of my abilities. Sorry about your luck, it's too bad and so sad.

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

AuthorMessage

LordJumpMad

1,666. Posted:

WiiAboutU wrote:

LosAngeloTip wrote:

WiiAboutU wrote:

If you can word it better, then more power to you buddy. I'm going to keep describing how I feel, to the best of my abilities. Sorry about your luck, it's too bad and so sad.

Untitled
You sir, are being a very unsuccessful Troll.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

1,667. Posted:

OK? Sure buddy...... I really don't even know where to start, so I won't.

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

1,668. Posted:

Guys, knock it off — either discuss M:OM or stop posting in this topic.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

pixelman

1,669. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

Guys, knock it off — either discuss M:OM or stop posting in this topic.

Yes, let's get back on topic.

Other M sucks, RAWR!

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

SKTTR

1,670. Posted:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game, it's just some first person shooter. I agree that Other M is a million times better.
But what can I do, I love all Metroid games - it's just that Super Metroid and Other M are so brilliant compared to the rest. :)

The only reason I gave Metroid Prime Trilogy a 10/10 is because it's three 9/10 games combined.
Other M solely on its own is a 10/10, just like Super Metroid.

Edited on by SKTTR

scatterkid.weebly.com

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,671. Posted:

Mully wrote:

Some people out there (like me) enjoyed the game and while it did have it's flaws, it's very frustrating for fans of the series as a whole to see all of the negative hype it's accrued based on a few overly emotional cutscenes.

The cutscenes are only part of what's eating at people. Other M was very short, super linear (discourages exploration), and others have voiced hating lethal strike and not being able to fire missiles in third person. On top of that it also has a game ending glitch (that's a problem).

Mully wrote:

don't be surprised if we don't see a new game till 2016 or later now.

That's a long time. Yoshio Sakamoto might die of old age by then.

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game, it's just some first person shooter.

Metroid Prime isn't a FPS it's a first person platformer. You jump as much as you shoot, and you don't even have to aim--sounds like old Metroid to me.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,672. Posted:

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game

early 2002 called, they want their first impressions back

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

1,673. Posted:

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game, it's just some first person shooter. I agree that Other M is a million times better.
But what can I do, I love all Metroid games - it's just that Super Metroid and Other M are so brilliant compared to the rest. :)

The only reason I gave Metroid Prime Trilogy a 10/10 is because it's three 9/10 games combined.
Other M solely on its own is a 10/10, just like Super Metroid.

Metroid Prime is the most flawless transition to 3D I've ever seen in a video game, and that's a huge accomplishment considering how much of a masterpiece Super Metroid was. More than anything else, Other M is a button-mashing shoot 'em up that happens to take place in the Metroid universe.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,674. Posted:

Um, yeah ok guys...I was kinda JOKING when I said to complain about Metroid Prime Trilogy...xD

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,675. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SKTTR wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy is not a Metroid game

early 2002 called, they want their first impressions back

:D
This is classic.
Also, I'm still amazed by how massively polarizing Other M is. I'm starting to think it's because they inserted a lot of "japaneseyness"into a very western franchise. I love Japanese games, so I loved Other M. I love uber-melodramatic cutscenes with ridiculous stories (for laughs, obviously) and off-the-wall gameplay. I can totally understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

Edited on by Kid_A

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,676. Posted:

I like that stuff too but it's been done better.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

AuthorMessage

JGMR

1,677. Posted:

Metroid Other M seems to be the new 'black sheep' of the series, which was originally Metroid II (a game which i always found excellent)...

In retrospect my only minor 'complain' would be the minimalistic soundtrack. And the auto-saving (you must save in order to progress at most save-stations) which cannot be turned off is also a minor complain.

With kind regards,

JGMR

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

1,678. Posted:

I'll be interested to see where the series goes from here. The logical thing for Nintendo to do would be to make a 2D handheld Metroid, but they'll have to come up with something else for the next console game.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,679. Posted:

I personally want good retconing, post-Fusion Metroid game. Other M happened, but they do actual go with the "she had post traumatic stress disorder and her awesome is the only reason she even did as well as she did. She was fine by the time Fusion started." Like they just say that. It would help so much.

I want something that shows Samus dealing with politicians and higher ups at the start after what happened in Fusion, and then most of the game is just a story that has minimal to do with continuity. Because I genuinely want to see this more corrupt parts of the Galactic Federation play out over quite a few games after being...hinted in a few games (especially Other M and Fusion).

Just as an idea, I'd like to see Samus go to a world in the middle of a planet sized civil war (or maybe after the planet sized civil war has made it close to a wasteland or something). Anthony Higgs goes with as a recurring character you'll fight with occasionally who is also exploring the area but usually by himself. Another idea I've thought of is some random peaceful family being protected by a new clone Ridley, who Samus eventually realizes isn't evil. There's backstory to that, Samus has to learn to basically help her mortal enemy, it could be quite fun. And I've heard that despite what was said in Other M the real space pirates are still around so maybe bring them back for this too.

oh and it would likely be a 2.5D game for 3DS.

Just some ideas I've had for a while.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

AuthorMessage

n0body

1,680. Posted:

***WARNING*** THOUGHT OUT COMMENT AHEAD***

After reading the last few pages of comments on this thread, I've come to realize that the exploration of femininity was intended to be a major theme in this game from the start. In that sense, this is a VERY brave and progressive effort, trying to explore such a complex and controversial subject within a medium that has up till now done a pretty poor job dealing with much MUCH simpler topics.

In a sense it fits well with the essence of Metroid, since this is also a strong recurring theme in the Alien series which influenced it. If you think about some of the parts in that series that tried to deal with this theme more openly, such as Alien 4, I believe you can get a better understanding of how difficult an issue this is even for more experienced writers.
I don't think it's a coincidence that "Alien: Resurrection" also very much struggles to get across its perspective on Ripley, in a manner that is both consistent with her character and respectable to women in general. How do you approach a topic as convoluted as a maternal bond between a human and an alien without appearing grotesque or insulting?

The easier to grasp topic of regular human-to-human maternal bonds, and the conflicts and baggage that come with it has hardly ever been explored in a satisfactory manner in the medium of film, to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully there exist precedents in modern Literature that do a better job, and if so I hope Sakamoto and Co. referred to such pieces when planning Other M's script. What I find more surprising in this respect, is that a women writer wasn't hired for this job, at the very least with equal influence as Sakamoto. Then again, maybe there was a women writer involved, and she somehow felt the awkward perspective in the game (like the ham-fisted recurring 'locked men's room' thing) was appropriate since it was representative of the typical clueless male point of view about the opposite sex.

Regarding this last point, and obviously speaking only from my own experience, I do think even the most enlightened of males in today's society still has a somewhat skewed perspective about what it means to be a woman, and furthermore I wouldn't be surprised if the same held for a considerable portion of today's women too. We may think we live in socially progressive times, but there are many aspects where we as a society are still very much in the dark ages.

Don't forget that until the 20th century in most countries women weren't allowed the right to vote, and that as recently as the seventies the feminist movement was responsible for equally extreme points of view. This is all in the Western world, I'm not even going to get into how women are misunderstood and mistreated in less civilized countries.

The bottom line, for everybody reacting at how sexist and demeaning Other M's story is, just remember that it's still a relevant reflection of our society and how backwards it can be. Are women different than men? Absolutely. Are these differences more than just physiological? Probably. Should they then result in differences in behavior and social benefits and obligations? Definitely. Where do we draw the line in terms of our expectations of the different sexes? Frankly, we haven't a clue.

After writing this I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in the future Other M will be looked back at as a pioneering game in terms of attempting to deal with complex social issues that are on the forefront of entertainment at large. As far as having any artistic merit as a game, controversy can only be a good thing.

Edited on by n0body

n0body