Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 1,641 to 1,660 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,641. Posted:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

I'm glad Samus is a human and is not Kratos from God of War or any other modern stereotype of a hero with no emotional traits whatsoever.

When it comes to Metroid: Other M, Samus isn't the hero at all. Think about it. Who destroyed Sector Zero? Not Samus. Who blew the whistle on illegal Federation biological weapon experiments? Not Samus. Who killed the Deleter? Not Samus. Who killed Ridley? Again, not Samus. She's still a big part of the story though. She found a crucial light switch for Adam at the start of the game and later on she even saved a helmet's life.

pixelman wrote:

Why are we getting ass shots of Samus in emotionally charged scenes?

The @$$ placement throughout the game is designed to distract you from the terrible writing of Yoshio Sakamoto. Besides, the star power of that @$$ alone is probably the only reason Metroid: Other M sold as much as it did. Don't argue with a good thing.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

spizzamarozzi

1,642. Posted:

pixelman wrote:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

As for the psychology of the character, I'm glad Samus is a human and is not Kratos from God of War or any other modern stereotype of a hero with no emotional traits whatsoever.

I hate the way people who liked Other M consistently repeat this as a response to the critics. So you either have to be a heartless, robotic killer or a soppy, insecure brat? Somehow I don't think anyone envisioned Samus as having either of those personalities.

Even if you overlook the emo story, the way the cutscenes were directed was laughably bad. Seriously... like. Why are we getting ass shots of Samus in emotionally charged scenes?

So what makes the story "emo"? The fact that it shows a naive, inexperienced Samus who struggles with her stubborn, juvenile oppositionism?! Does showing a character's emotional flaws automatically turn said character into a whiny teenager??
And isn't it a bit superficial to call it "insecurity"? To me it looked like a more complex psychological dynamic, to be honest.

I am very critical when I spot sexism in videogames, but to me Other M doesn't look like a sexist game and Samus' persona isn't pictured in a sexist way. She actually looks like a very real and breathing character...in a way that male videogame characters rarely are. Honestly, I thought that Other M pushed the envelope about the psychological themes that can be covered in videogames.

As for the a$$ shots during the cutscenes, I don't remember. Probably because my attention is more focused on hearing and reading the subs (when they are present) since english is not my first language. If the cutscenes are really filled with a$$ shots then I agree, it is pathetic.

spizzamarozzi

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

AuthorMessage

bonesy91

1,643. Posted:

I salute anyone who has managed to get through this entire game without going insane from boredom...

I mean I really am trying to get into this game. I've never had the chance to play a metroid game before this one :(
I'm at the Snow place and was just wondering, does the story become more i don't now, interesting?

Wiiu: "the next generation of gaming is here"
All My info! 3DS friend code, PSN ID and WiiU ID on my backlog!
Wiiu ID: bonesy. Add me if you play monster hunter 3 ultimate.

AuthorMessage

Meta-Rift

1,644. Posted:

@bonesy91: The story's logic has holes in it, but it does get more interesting. There's also a big plot twist/revelation at the very end, which I personally thought was pretty well done, even if the rest wasn't.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,645. Posted:

oh yeah the later plot stuff with what's her name was really well done, some really fun sci-fi stuff

and there are two characters (the awesome one and the rude and maybe corrupt one at the ending), that I hope appear more, they would be fun in a better written Metroid game

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

pixelman

1,646. Posted:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

pixelman wrote:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

As for the psychology of the character, I'm glad Samus is a human and is not Kratos from God of War or any other modern stereotype of a hero with no emotional traits whatsoever.

I hate the way people who liked Other M consistently repeat this as a response to the critics. So you either have to be a heartless, robotic killer or a soppy, insecure brat? Somehow I don't think anyone envisioned Samus as having either of those personalities.

Even if you overlook the emo story, the way the cutscenes were directed was laughably bad. Seriously... like. Why are we getting ass shots of Samus in emotionally charged scenes?

So what makes the story "emo"? The fact that it shows a naive, inexperienced Samus who struggles with her stubborn, juvenile oppositionism?! Does showing a character's emotional flaws automatically turn said character into a whiny teenager??
And isn't it a bit superficial to call it "insecurity"? To me it looked like a more complex psychological dynamic, to be honest.

I am very critical when I spot sexism in videogames, but to me Other M doesn't look like a sexist game and Samus' persona isn't pictured in a sexist way. She actually looks like a very real and breathing character...in a way that male videogame characters rarely are. Honestly, I thought that Other M pushed the envelope about the psychological themes that can be covered in videogames.

As for the a$$ shots during the cutscenes, I don't remember. Probably because my attention is more focused on hearing and reading the subs (when they are present) since english is not my first language. If the cutscenes are really filled with a$$ shots then I agree, it is pathetic.

I never called it sexist, I simply hated how completely incompetent and insecure they portrayed her as. Seriously, she acts like a three year old sometimes. Remember when you have to run through the volcanic area for the first time? As we see later, her Varia Suit was readily available to "switch on" (gotta love how consistent that is with the series)... But she wouldn't put it on without Adam's authorization — even though she can easily die without doing so. She doesn't even have the guts to ask daddy for permission to put it on. That is completely braindead.

Also, Samus is definitely not inexperienced in this game. This is chronologically the latest game in the series, so everything you've seen her do in the previous games she's already done. She's killed Ridley countless times, she's saved dozens of planets, and killed lord knows how many aliens. Her behavior in this game is completely inconsistent with her history.

I've said this dozens of times, but they can make Samus seem like a living, breathing human being without making her look like an insecure, incompetent little daddy's girl and throwing the entire concept of continuity to hell. This sloppy nonsense I don't need in my Metroid games.

Edited on by pixelman

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

irken004

1,647. Posted:

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE EMOTIONAL NINTENDO GAMES.

Backloggery

AuthorMessage

bezerker99

1,648. Posted:

I don't want cut scenes in my Metroid games. Reminds me too much of Final Fantasy. Metroid should be about gameplay and exploration, not sappy boring backstory.

bezerker99

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,649. Posted:

irken004 wrote:

because Nintendo made the mistake of having someone who isn't a writer, write, just because they helped make the series, or because you are unable to understand terms like "show, don't tell"? (which again, made the latter parts better, Ridley's dead no dialogue for that IRRC, same with the 2nd ending right before the escape)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

AuthorMessage

irken004

1,650. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

irken004 wrote:

because Nintendo made the mistake of having someone who isn't a writer, write, just because they helped make the series, or because you are unable to understand terms like "show, don't tell"? (which again, made the latter parts better, Ridley's dead no dialogue for that IRRC, same with the 2nd ending right before the escape)

You kidding? I love this game. Writer or not, I found it entertaining, so keep your opinions to yourself.

Backloggery

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,651. Posted:

I just realized I almost fell into a debate about video games, I apologize for this horrible decision.

AuthorMessage

pixelman

1,652. Posted:

irken004 wrote:

keep your opinions to yourself.

Awesome idea. I move all internet forums be closed. :3

Edited on by pixelman

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,653. Posted:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

The original poster is just laughable, cause throwing away a game after the third cutscene is pretty much like throwing away a song after the third chord.

In his defense, Metroid: Other M is about half over by the end of the third cutscene.

spizzamarozzi wrote:

Aspects of Metroid: Other M would have to be considered sexist. The gender balance is way off. Notice how all the men in this game are consummate professionals and all the women are emotional Gok piles? Whether or not anyone cares is another matter.

pixelman wrote:

Samus is definitely not inexperienced in this game. This is chronologically the latest game in the series, so everything you've seen her do in the previous games she's already done. She's killed Ridley countless times, she's saved dozens of planets, and killed lord knows how many aliens. Her behavior in this game is completely inconsistent with her history.

Samus truly is a veteran at this point, and like many real life veterans Nintendo has decided Samus should suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I guess that's what happens when your whole life is pirate death and space jumping. Now Samus has petrifying flash backs when you least expect them. I can completely understand Metroid fans hating this new aspect of Samus, but it was something I liked about Other M. The Ridley cutscene was alright, but I wish they would have taken it to the next level and incorporated it into the gameplay. It would have been so crazy if you were shooting pirates then suddenly lose control of Samus as she doubled over screaming.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

grumblebuzzz

1,654. Posted:

Can we please just let this die? Some people out there (like me) enjoyed the game and while it did have it's flaws, it's very frustrating for fans of the series as a whole to see all of the negative hype it's accrued based on a few overly emotional cutscenes. It makes me fear for the future of Metroid; don't be surprised if we don't see a new game till 2016 or later now.

Edited on by grumblebuzzz

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,655. Posted:

@Mully: I, too, wish that this pointless debate would just die off, but clearly people just can't agree to disagree. Some loved this game and some hated it, let's just leave it at that. I'm sure the next game in the series will most likely play it safe, since that's what always happens after Nintendo releases an experimental game, only to have the "fans" toss it back in their faces...

@pixelman: Other M is the latest game in the series to be released, but it isn't the latest in the timeline, that would be Metroid Fusion...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,656. Posted:

yeah, any problems this game may have caused are kinda made void by Fusion anyway.

AuthorMessage

pixelman

1,657. Posted:

@Gamesake: I guess I can live with that. It would've been nice if the game emphasized that (hell I don't even think it mentioned it), but oh well. It's not like the game was well-made or anything. :3

@Straw: Oh right, for some reason I had it in my head that Fusion was right before Other M, but it's the other way around. D'oh. Still, all of the other games in the series precede it chronologically... Which are a lot. :P

@kkslider: Yeah, I'm hoping Nintendo will forget Other M and future Metroid games will be after Fusion. :3

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,658. Posted:

Why can't we all complain about Prime Trilogy...or Donkey Kong Country Returns? xD

Seriously, you people are still blabbering about the game's flaws or how "terrible" it is?

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

1,659. Posted:

irken004 wrote:

pixelman wrote:

Why are we getting ass shots of Samus in emotionally charged scenes?

Have you seen dat ass?

Yes I did. I'd like to give Samus my charged beam. lol

Edited on by WiiAboutU

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

1,660. Posted:

bonesy91 wrote:

I salute anyone who has managed to get through this entire game without going insane from boredom...

I mean I really am trying to get into this game. I've never had the chance to play a metroid game before this one :(
I'm at the Snow place and was just wondering, does the story become more i don't now, interesting?

Sorry bonesy91 the story is flat and boring the whole way through. And I'm sorry this was your first Metroid experience, it's the worst title to represent the series. You would've been much better off with the NES original. Or with my recommendation of Super Metroid, which I believe to be the best in the series. Both are available on VC. For me the 3D aspect completely ruins the original gameplay and feeling of exploration that the series was known for. If you want to try out a title for the first time, your most likely better off with the originals.

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863