Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 1,742

RoryLee

I enjoyed the game a lot. Been playing Metroid games since the NES and I thought there was way too much negativity about this game.

Nintendo ID: RoryLee
3DS: 3007-8085-6351

HeroOfTime007

vonseux wrote:

what abou that, hackers have released Metroid Other M THE MOVIE
so now even people who doesnt have a Wii can FULLY experiment this awesome gam... ops, movie from Nintendo

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/6004645/%5BHD%5D_Metroid_Oth...

Gah, a tor file! And if Other M was a movie it would lose the Oscar to M. Night Shymalan.

Edited on by HeroOfTime007

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

RoryLee

I like M. Night S., the only movie I didn't care for is Devil.

Nintendo ID: RoryLee
3DS: 3007-8085-6351

Kid_A

kkslider5552000 wrote:

The writing sucked. That's it really, it was written horribly. Fusion is Other M but written well.

Yes, the writing sucked, but Fusion isn't written any better. It's the same drab, melodramatic exposition you find in Other M. There's just less of it in Fusion. It actually bothered me a bit more in Fusion, because at least in Other M it was seamlessly integrated into the gameplay. With Fusion it completely halted the pace of the game.

I won't defend the writing in either game, and I won't defend the voice acting. It's certainly not the worst writing you'll see, nor was it even the worst voice acting of 2010 (Heavy Rain wins that award) but we've come to expect perfection from Metroid, and the fact that Other M wasn't perfect caused people to act out a little more than they otherwise would have.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

retired_account

^ Haha good choice. I need to finish my second playthrough. :3

retired_account

kkslider5552000

Kid_A wrote:

Yes, the writing sucked, but Fusion isn't written any better. It's the same drab, melodramatic exposition you find in Other M.

yeah no

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SKTTR

Super Metroid is pure excellence.

So glad Other M delivered when the other Metroid's that came out in the meantime 1995~2009 (Fusion, Prime, Zero Mission) were slightly disappointing.

I'm happy Prime came to an end. Hope the series keeps advancing in Super Metroid's and Other M's footsteps.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

JGMR

I recently noticed the game being shelved for a bargain price of 29 Euros (20 Euros cheaper, as i bought it for 49 Euros)

Underrated gem.

With kind regards,

JGMR

Deviant_Mugen

90's Gamer wrote:

Underrated gem.

Too true...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

grenworthshero

Eh, I liked the game a lot. The gameplay wasn't exactly up to par with the rest of the series, but I thought the story was well-written, the cinematography was alright, and the voice acting was good. Nothing that blew me away, really, but it was still a really good game.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Chrono_Cross

Yes nothing like a poorly written story where Samus is turned into the whiny hero we never dreamed of seeing, followed by weak voice acting, clunky first person and third person action, dull setting, poor weapon upgrades, and Not-so-satisfying boss fights. Did I mention 100%ing this game is as easy as singing the alphabet?

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

kkslider5552000

ok, unnecessary debates aside, there is no universe in which Other M is "well-written".

Playing through Fusion again (which is basically the same game at times) makes this obvious. Samus doesn't go that extra step into obsession with Adam, the difficulty surviving until you get the Varia suit in an area is because of the surprising intelligence of the enemy rather than the stupidity of the hero and CO and they don't take 10 minutes to say what should take 2.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BulbasaurusRex

I really like the game, too. The gameplay is excellent. (The original poster of that locked thread didn't give it enough of a try, since you barely get to do anything by the third cutscene). The story, while poorly written, is still very interesting with good voice acting, and Samus's character is actually pretty consistent with her actions in Metroid 2 and Super Metroid, and especially consistent with Metroid Fusion. She's never been a cold, emotionless killer, and she came off more realistic than whiny. [Adam in Metroid Fusion is still just a computer, not the real person who was her closest friend (if not more).] Yes, waiting for the defensive upgrades made no sense story-wise, but do you really want to walk through the whole game with them active?

Edited on by BulbasaurusRex

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

spizzamarozzi

Yeah I really liked the game, still can't see why a lot of people didn't like it. The writing isn't stellar but I can't say it's poorly written either. I also liked the voice acting, I think it suits the "introspective" angle the game has on the serie.
As for the gameplay, the action is smooth and the controls are intuitive, so what's not to like?!
Cutscenes, well, there are games that DO NEED cutscenes, like Shenmue or Yakuza, and Other M is no exception...there's always a serie of narrative nuances that you can't explain during the in-game storytelling. Also, being a smoker, I find cutscenes incredibly useful cause it's the only moment I can light up a cigarette.

As for the psychology of the character, I'm glad Samus is a human and is not Kratos from God of War or any other modern stereotype of a hero with no emotional traits whatsoever.

The original poster is just laughable, cause throwing away a game after the third cutscene is pretty much like throwing away a song after the third chord.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

kevohki

kkslider5552000 wrote:

ok, unnecessary debates aside, there is no universe in which Other M is "well-written".

Playing through Fusion again (which is basically the same game at times) makes this obvious. Samus doesn't go that extra step into obsession with Adam, the difficulty surviving until you get the Varia suit in an area is because of the surprising intelligence of the enemy rather than the stupidity of the hero and CO and they don't take 10 minutes to say what should take 2.

This. Samus was a doormat for the entire length of Other M but in Metroid Fusion the story had her basically give the computer the finger once she realized the "Federation" (or whatever it's called) was using her like a guinea pig.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

Deviant_Mugen

Samus was younger and less experienced in Other M, maybe you guys are forgetting that...

Anyway, personally, I thought the game was phenomenal and Samus's character dead-on...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

kevohki

Straw_Hat_Luffy wrote:

Samus was younger and less experienced in Other M, maybe you guys are forgetting that...

Anyway, personally, I thought the game was phenomenal and Samus's character dead-on...

Younger in the flashbacks, yes. Less experienced, no, considering Other:M takes place after the Prime series and Super Metroid. Personally I think the game assassinated her character. It made no sense whatsoever to turn her into a whiny, scared little girl who blindly obeyed authority, even in the dumbest of times (practically the entire storyline of Other:M). She froze and acted scared when Ridley appeared which is just blatantly stupid writing considering she would have fought and dispatched him about five times already.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

Deviant_Mugen

She wasn't obeying authority; she was obeying Adam, which is a very different matter. As for all this "whiny" talk, I'm not even going to bother with a response, because it's just not worth the effort. Also, yes, she'd fought Ridley before, but never killed him until Super Metroid, then, surprise, your parents' killer was revived! Of course she was going to react in that way. The only reason we didn't see that in any of the other games is because they weren't cinematic like Other M. Samus is not master chief or all these other "stone-cold badasses" who shoot/slash first and ask questions never, so if that's what you want, you need to look elsewhere...

The fact of the matter is that Other M finally established Samus's character—her real character—and if you don't like it, well, tough...

If this tired, pointless argument is all my thread was going to be revived for, honestly, I wish it would've remained buried...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic