Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 1,742

romulux

Gamesake wrote:

Certainly they didn't take your feelings into account. If they had I'm sure they would have given Metroid Other M 5 stars regardless of their own opinions.

i never said anything about wanting the game to get universal praise, it's clearly not for everyone and i don't care if someone dislikes it. what i'm talking about is a pocket of people who go beyond simply disliking it; it's rated with mostly 5 and 4 without many 2 or 3 star reviews, but then when you get to the bottom, '1', the number of reviews skyrockets back up again.

it takes a certain commitment to your hatred for something to give it a 1- ninjabread man, for instance, has an average of 2 stars and it's considered one of the very worst ever made. these people know other m's not a 1 star game. they're just bitter that it didn't turn out how they wanted and are rating it as low as possible to protest.

there are plenty of games out there with much bigger problems than other m that come out unscathed- okami, for instance, has controls that are completely broken, yet it still averages in the 9 range. metroid fusion was at least as linear than this one or more and it still comes out with 9 as well. you can isolate any complaint about this game and find another game that did it far worse while coming out of it highly rated. i think it's evidence of how upset people are that nintendo challenged them with something new when all they wanted was the same thing they've seen before over again.

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Kid_A

I can neither confirm nor deny that somebody at Nintendo Life may or may not be writing an article that defends Other M's interpretation of Samus

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

2-D

Kid_A wrote:

I can neither confirm nor deny that somebody at Nintendo Life may or may not be writing an article that defends Other M's interpretation of Samus

I can neither confirm nor deny that it's about time!
I'm glad someone is, IGN really annoyed me with their 'Team Ninja ruined Samus! It's all their fault despite the fact that Sakomoto was there the whole time!'

Nice one, guys

Edited on by 2-D

Misfortune subdues small minds.

GoldenEye 007 FC : 3933-1198-0911
2D on deviantart

ReddLionz

That IGN article was so IGNorant. What were they supposed to do, leave Samus as an unemotionless battle drone that never sleeps?

"Just do It" -Nike
GAMECENTER ID: ReddLionz --- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 2535-5186-6845--Mario Kart Wii: 2277-7632-9262---Excitebots: 2665-2900-1186---Excitebike World Rally: 5242-1980-4163---Wii Number: 8286-0065-1295-5374

kkslider5552000

I will admit that so far the story of Fusion was definitely better. Mainly because "less is more", I think. But Fusion's story continually got better and so is Other M's story. I just beat the giant crane machine btw. This game has had some great bosses so far. (not surprising as I love most Metroid bosses)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

ReddLionz

Never played Fusion. Sounds like its good, though. Can't find my GBA.

"Just do It" -Nike
GAMECENTER ID: ReddLionz --- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 2535-5186-6845--Mario Kart Wii: 2277-7632-9262---Excitebots: 2665-2900-1186---Excitebike World Rally: 5242-1980-4163---Wii Number: 8286-0065-1295-5374

Var

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been pointed out before, even so its worth showing again.
I popped over onto the Metroid.com site today for a browse at the wallpapers and what did I see, but none other than Nintendo Life's review being highlighted on the site.
Untitled

This week, I 'ave been mostly...IV breeding.

Kid_A

Awesome! Nintendo Life's review was pretty spot-on, I'd say.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

SkullMan

The thing about Other: M is that it grows on you. At first I wasn't sure about it but in the end I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Granted the gameplay seemed a little toned down and simplistic when compared to Metroids of the past. That and the awkward dialogue, drawn out cutscenes, and Samus whiny inner monologue.

I thought it weird to beef up this story to appeal to hardcore fans and build on the lore of Metroid, yet at the same time make the control scheme simplistic in order to appeal to newbies. It was as if it had an identity crisis, the same thing applies between the side scrolling and the first person view mode. It all felt a bit forced and contrived at times.

It's a decent game, but it has it's flaws.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

romulux

SkullMan wrote:

I thought it weird to beef up this story to appeal to hardcore fans and build on the lore of Metroid, yet at the same time make the control scheme simplistic in order to appeal to newbies.

20+ year gamers aren't exactly newbies, are they? sakamoto kept talking about simplifying the controls and a lot of people interpreted that as making the game 'easier for idiots who can't work a controller'. what people are forgetting is that NES games were hard. simple obviously did not mean easy back then, and the same goes for other m. it's about putting the challenge in the gameplay, not the buttons.

romulux

Untitled

this was apparently one of the demo shots used to show off the 3DS. it made me realize how much better received other m might have been if it were released on the 3DS instead- there would be fewer complaints about linearity, since that's more attractive when playing on the go. which also makes me realize that the more linear direction of other m is probably due in part to the fact that sakamoto's team has been working on handheld metroids over the past decade...

either way, it just seems like a great match.

Var

That photo looks absolutely beautiful, havinga Metroid looking that good on the go would be marvelous to say the least. I also found the controls to not be overly simple, infact I can't imagine it with any other controls as it works so well.

This week, I 'ave been mostly...IV breeding.

SkullMan

romulux wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

I thought it weird to beef up this story to appeal to hardcore fans and build on the lore of Metroid, yet at the same time make the control scheme simplistic in order to appeal to newbies.

20+ year gamers aren't exactly newbies, are they? sakamoto kept talking about simplifying the controls and a lot of people interpreted that as making the game 'easier for idiots who can't work a controller'. what people are forgetting is that NES games were hard. simple obviously did not mean easy back then, and the same goes for other m. it's about putting the challenge in the gameplay, not the buttons.

I never said they were newbies? I was commenting on how the games story appeals to hardcore fans, yet the controls are meant to appeal to casual even non gamers. If they wanted the control scheme to not scare away the newbies to the series, perhaps they should have felt the same away about the boring drawn out story as well.

NES games were hard but not based on controls. For one no very many even implemented a save feature, if you quit you had to start at square one. But when advances are made to make games feel better and to push gameplay, you can't just throw away 20 some years of evolution from the 2 buttons and d-pad...to pressure sensitive analog sticks. I felt the only challenge in Other: M was getting the camera angle to comply with my positioning on screen. Otherwise it was a cake walk...

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

romulux

SkullMan wrote:

the controls are meant to appeal to casual even non gamers.

the main reason the controls are the way they are is because they wanted to appeal to older gamers who may have played the original metroid and dropped out of gaming over the years. sakamoto has said as much a dozen times, himself being an older guy who isn't interested in modern gameplay. simpler controls still help appeal to casual gamers too, but honestly this isn't a game for them in any way, shape or form.

KingBroly

I think the controls work pretty darn well (even the switching to/from 1st person stuff). Would I like there to be more options? Yes, because giving players options is not admitting defeat as a developer if it means getting more people to enjoy the game.

KingBroly

SkullMan

romulux wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

the controls are meant to appeal to casual even non gamers.

the main reason the controls are the way they are is because they wanted to appeal to older gamers who may have played the original metroid and dropped out of gaming over the years. sakamoto has said as much a dozen times, himself being an older guy who isn't interested in modern gameplay. simpler controls still help appeal to casual gamers too, but honestly this isn't a game for them in any way, shape or form.

Well yes but I remember also reading that they were simplified to appeal to casual gamers, who might be curious but would be scared away by the nunchuck. Which i think would have helped sell more units and add the to the experience. I don't think sakamoto saying claiming that the game has those controls because he wants them holds any merit to help the game. I feel the only hurt the experience by his lack of foresight. He assumed that since he isn't a big fan of modern gameplay mechanics that most gamers aren't as well?

romulux

controller advancements don't need to be adopted by every game. just in the same way you don't need motion in everything, you don't need an analog stick and 10 buttons for everything either. we're talking about a series that has it's roots in the NES era, with the bulk of the games played using a D pad and just a few buttons. in sakamoto's opinion, that is the metroid gameplay. his team has never made a metroid that used any other layout.

the prime games modernized the controls and gameplay but that took them in a very different direction that sakamoto doesn't even consider part of the same series. his goal in keeping the original controls was to make metroid play like metroid, simple as that. and for all the complaining about the controls, i think they majorly succeeded in blending 2D and 3D in ways no one has ever attempted before.

SkullMan

romulux wrote:

controller advancements don't need to be adopted by every game. just in the same way you don't need motion in everything, you don't need an analog stick and 10 buttons for everything either. we're talking about a series that has it's roots in the NES era, with the bulk of the games played using a D pad and just a few buttons. in sakamoto's opinion, that is the metroid gameplay. his team has never made a metroid that used any other layout.

the prime games modernized the controls and gameplay but that took them in a very different direction that sakamoto doesn't even consider part of the same series. his goal in keeping the original controls was to make metroid play like metroid, simple as that. and for all the complaining about the controls, i think they majorly succeeded in blending 2D and 3D in ways no one has ever attempted before.

Kind of dumb he doesn't even consider the best of the series, in the same series...a damn shame too.

Not every game has 10 buttons, games I feel are easier today than they were 20 years ago. Buttons and controller schemes aren't overly complicated. While I can admire wanting to go back to the roots of a series, I feel Other M could have been handled better in terms of control. The first person view mode seemed tacked on, and it was...never really apart of the plan. One can tell.

I remember reading about how Nintendo wanted to simplify controls with the wiimote because gaming pads had gotten out of control with buttons an what not. But the gamecube controller was the most confusing out of all of last gen. And out of this gen Nintendo has the most controllers out on the market different perpetuals and adapters for this game or that. Talk about overload.

romulux

SkullMan wrote:

Kind of dumb he doesn't even consider the best of the series, in the same series...a damn shame too.

...is that you, mandoble?

SkullMan

romulux wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

...is that you, mandoble?

Does not compute, sorry bub.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic