Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 1,481 to 1,500 of 1,750

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kid_A

1,481. Posted:

They couldn't remove her suit in Fusion because, drum roll, it was fused to her after her encounter with the X. That implies that up until that point it could be easily removed.

Also, @badmouthsadmouth
Totally agreed on all accounts (although, SPOILER, I rather liked Phantoon as the final boss. He fit really well into the atmosphere)

I'm playing the Prime games now and...wow. The art direction is just so above Other M. Don't get me wrong, Other M has some very cool environments and enemy designs, but Retro's sci-fi environments trump pretty much all other sci-fi environments--in any medium.

Edited on by Kid_A

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

1,482. Posted:

I have to admit, when I first went to Sector 3 I thought "so will I spend forever in this sector too?" and went through the "Adam Malkavich is a jerk that doesn't give you the Varia suit for forever" part of the game I heard about I was starting to feel things were getting a bit predictable (outside of that awesome boss). Then Adam's like "yeah, can't go there, let's go to Sector 2!" and for some reason I thought that was really clever. For...some reason.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ASDFGHJKL

1,483. Posted:

So I got around to buying this game...and it is just a whole lot of fun. The First Person mode works greatly and makes battles more exiting. I cant wait to finish it, it is just plain awesome. At first I was disappointed with how linear it was, but the combat and the action make up for it. The fast pace fits it very well.

ASDFGHJKL

AuthorMessage
Avatar

grumblebuzzz

1,484. Posted:

@ Kid_A I went back and tried to play the original Prime after finishing Other M and I got as far as that annoying hornet boss near the beginning and peaced out. There's just something about some of the bosses in that game that make me want to give up rather than try and try again, as I did with a couple in Other M, Super Metroid, and all of the 2d games. Not sure what it is...

I'll agree that the environments are more detailed and beautiful to look at in Prime though, but I do prefer the enemy designs more so in Other M. I like the pretty colors. =)

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ASDFGHJKL

1,485. Posted:

Adam wrote:

I'll look it up some time. Don't really care much for reading blogs, but I pretty much agree. I know it's not going to happen, but I believe it's what should happen. They've already said they're going to carry the story forward and of course Samus is going to be the star.

I don't care for reboots personally, but I like the idea of letting another character star or co-star. What I'd prefer most of all though would be for a completely different story / universe with just a similar concept. Video games are way too obsessed with sequels, which is weird when story is not really the biggest drawing point in the first place, so why draw them out, I don't understand.

Edit: In regards to the second post, sounds like silliness. He approved the Prime games in the conceptual phase. It's not like he was surprised by what they had to offer. Not that I'd care if it were true. I don't like Prime much and don't care all that much about what's canon or not.

Metroid: The Life of Anthony

The cover can have him saying "Remembuh me?".

ASDFGHJKL

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kid_A

1,486. Posted:

badmouthsadmouth wrote:

@ Kid_A I went back and tried to play the original Prime after finishing Other M and I got as far as that annoying hornet boss near the beginning and peaced out. There's just something about some of the bosses in that game that make me want to give up rather than try and try again, as I did with a couple in Other M, Super Metroid, and all of the 2d games. Not sure what it is...

I'll agree that the environments are more detailed and beautiful to look at in Prime though, but I do prefer the enemy designs more so in Other M. I like the pretty colors. =)

I prefer dreariness when it comes to Metroid, but I will say the Prime games could learn a lesson from Other M's smooth-as-silk combat. I never had an issue with the gamecube control layout (which most people did) but it never feels as slick as Other M or any of the 2D games. Another thing Other M has going for it is that it doesn't have any filler. As good as the Prime games are, they all have some BS scavenger hunt toward the end in an attempt at lengthening the game. I'd gladly give up a few hours of pointless backtracking if it meant I'd have a more all-around enjoyable game. Other M didn't have any of that--front-to back, I'd say its one of the stronger Metroids in terms of pacing.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

romulux

1,487. Posted:

kinda sad. i wrote a review and noticed this: http://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Other-M-Nintendo-Wii/product-re...

look at the breakdown of scores and you'll see that most people actually gave it a 5, yet it's weighed down by the crowd that gave it 1. i don't understand these people; if you don't like the game that's fine, but do you have to be such a baby that you want it to go down as a failure for everyone else? what do they think they'll gain from lowering the average score?

i've had enough arguing over metroid the past few months for one lifetime, so i really don't care at this point, but i've never seen anything like the reaction people have had to this game. it's one of those things that reminds me to get off the computer and do something constructive, so there's a happy ending here :)

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage
Avatar

2-D

1,488. Posted:

GabeGreens wrote:

Metroid: The Life of Anthony

The cover can have him saying "Remembuh me?".

Have Anthony and not Samus?

Man, that's sexist. 2/5

Misfortune subdues small minds.

GoldenEye 007 FC : 3933-1198-0911
2D on deviantart

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

1,489. Posted:

romulux wrote:

kinda sad. i wrote a review and noticed this: http://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Other-M-Nintendo-Wii/product-re...

look at the breakdown of scores and you'll see that most people actually gave it a 5, yet it's weighed down by the crowd that gave it 1. i don't understand these people; if you don't like the game that's fine, but do you have to be such a baby that you want it to go down as a failure for everyone else? what do they think they'll gain from lowering the average score?

i've had enough arguing over metroid the past few months for one lifetime, so i really don't care at this point, but i've never seen anything like the reaction people have had to this game. it's one of those things that reminds me to get off the computer and do something constructive, so there's a happy ending here :)

I think it's confirmed that if you give a game that doesn't blatantly suck a 1 your opinion no longer matters.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kid_A

1,490. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

romulux wrote:

kinda sad. i wrote a review and noticed this: http://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Other-M-Nintendo-Wii/product-re...

look at the breakdown of scores and you'll see that most people actually gave it a 5, yet it's weighed down by the crowd that gave it 1. i don't understand these people; if you don't like the game that's fine, but do you have to be such a baby that you want it to go down as a failure for everyone else? what do they think they'll gain from lowering the average score?

i've had enough arguing over metroid the past few months for one lifetime, so i really don't care at this point, but i've never seen anything like the reaction people have had to this game. it's one of those things that reminds me to get off the computer and do something constructive, so there's a happy ending here :)

I think it's confirmed that if you give a game that doesn't blatantly suck a 1 your opinion no longer matters.

Yeah. I mean there's always some good, helpful user reviews on Amazon but you've always got to watch those 1 star reviews.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Wesker

1,491. Posted:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1122068p1.html

You guys really need to check this article out. It's about Other M and it's called 'Killing Samus'.

Wesker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NotEnoughGolds

1,492. Posted:

billy-beauts wrote:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1122068p1.html

You guys really need to check this article out. It's about Other M and it's called 'Killing Samus'.

That's the most horrible piece of journalism I've ever read.
It seems like a person that gets paid to write something like this should at least have to play the game first. Okay, maybe she played the game. She sure didn't pay any attention to the story at all though, having been mistaken about pretty much every plot point she brings up in the article. Well done.

NotEnoughGolds

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

1,493. Posted:

billy-beauts wrote:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1122068p1.html

You guys really need to check this article out. It's about Other M and it's called 'Killing Samus'.

Read that today. While i don't necessarily agree with a lot of it (though i may not be in the best position to appreciate some points, what with having a Y chromosome and all), it was quite well written and a good read.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 23 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 11 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

lockelocke

1,494. Posted:

Just read the article above.
While I don't agree with him, I understand that a lot of people are upset about the first attempt to TRULY personify Samus Aran.
However, it doesn't really stand to make claims, like this dude does, that the character we see in Other M is "out of left-field."
Samus has never been given a voice and a backstory, so what basis for comparison is there? Just because YOU thought Samus was an impossible bad doesn't mean her creator pictured her like that, or she was ever meant to really be perceived as such. I think that was the main idea that went into the original revealing of Samus as a girl. Originally, like back back in the day, none of us were really sure if she was even human, and then, upon beating the game, we found out the truth. And it wasn't surprising because she was a woman, not a man, it was surprising because there was a girl behind all that armor and weapons. It made your reexamine the whole adventure you had just partaken in. There was someone feeling and thinking through that entire game, not some emotionless robot just doing work.

Edited on by theblackdragon

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

romulux

1,495. Posted:

right. when people say "they ruined samus' character" i have to wonder, "what character?" she was a blank slate just the same as link and mario with no defined personality until fusion came along and laid out some of her history with adam. this game builds on that story that was begun nearly a decade ago and it does it pretty well at that, so it's not like the person we're seeing in other m is a total surprise.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/metroidotherm/video/627654...
new interview here with....
Untitled

he addresses the backlash and it's very interesting to hear him talk about his motivations for the story. he says that every metroid fan has their own image of samus, which as we know now is very true, and he didn't think that was a good thing for the series in the long run. he wanted to define her character across the board and get everyone on the same page about who she is, which of course is going to be a noisy chaotic mess, but in his opinion it had to be done.

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

1,496. Posted:

@lockelocke
The writer of the IGN piece is a woman.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 23 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 11 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

lockelocke

1,497. Posted:

@the_shpydar
I figured. Okay, that sounded sexist, but it wasn't meant to be.
I call everyone 'dude,' even my mom. Especially my mom.

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

irken004

1,498. Posted:

There's a live run of the game on Backloggery now

Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

1,499. Posted:

lockelocke wrote:

@the_shpydar
I figured. Okay, that sounded sexist, but it wasn't meant to be.
I call everyone 'dude,' even my mom. Especially my mom.

Lol. Just figured you didn't notice since you specifcally referred to the writer as "him".

I think a big thing of the piece is that she identified Samus as a strong, typical gender-role-defying protagonist, but Other M ruptured that identification for her (which i don't necessarily agree with, but as i said i'm not in the best position to judge from that perspective).

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 23 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 11 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kid_A

1,500. Posted:

sigh haven't I already read this article? Oh wait, that was the G4 review. My mistake. I can see why people might be off-put by this game, but I'm playing Fusion now, and I've got to say--it's pretty consistent. Nothing in that game makes Samus out to be a bad bounty hunter. It's all introspective, somewhat whiny, and, when referring to the baby Metroid, quite maternal. I just don't see why people think it's inconsistent if they've really played every game in the series.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf