Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 1,461 to 1,480 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,461. Posted:

Facedog.

(And that wasn't even the one I was talking about.)

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

Aviator

1,462. Posted:

:o Who? I has no memory?

I don't like to boast, but our truffles are the most, mad magical in Amsterdam.
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,463. Posted:

As I said before, I really don't see the point in spoiling all this stuff here when there is already a thread specifically for spoilers, hence why I didn't say it to begin with.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,464. Posted:

Adam wrote:

It was pretty forced enough as it is. Kraid is the only one I'd really like to see transformed in 3D, but I hate cloning as a plot device (the only worse device would have to be: "It was all a dream"), and I can't think of any other excuse without going back in the timeline. My only hope is that someday they do another Prime game (please be Hunters 2) that brings him back and delivers that Sylux battle Corruption's hidden ending supposedly promises (never beat it myself, but heard about it). As for the next game after Fusion, they need all new stuff, enemies and power-ups. I just don't understand how they're going to keep explaining Samus's need to collect power-ups. It would be kind of ridiculous to start the game with screw attack and space jump.

Fusion had a pretty nice explanation: she gets a new suit! But you're right, if Other M showed us anything, it's that taking away all of Samus' powers is getting more and more forced. Seeing some brand new ones would be nice as well--I quite enjoyed Other M's Diffusion Beam.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,465. Posted:

vonseux wrote:

yeah... Fusion might have some bad things, but at least it moves the series foward and introduce new elements

isn't has been enough prequels?

A dude said that one of the biggest problems with Other M is that it destroys continuity; think about Samus Suit; how it needed to be removed from in Fusion... but now if Samus faint or get scared, the suit will disappear

That's not how I saw it. In the Ridley scene, which I assume you're talking about, the suit loses power because he violently grabs her and crushes her, not because she's scared

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,466. Posted:

Oh man, don't even start on the suit. I absolutely hate the idea of it being powered by some sort of magic. I had successfully wiped those scenes from my memory until this conversation. Thanks a lot, guys.

It is really ill-fitting. I can buy Phantoon because he is something other. We don't understand him because he is an external force beyond our comprehension. But Samus is the main character wearing a technological suit created by a race that proved to be very mortal.

But about Fusion, yea, I liked Fusion's explanation, and I loved the look of the fusion suit. Of course, they can't do that again. And even if they come up with some completely original explanation as to why Samus loses all her magic powers again, it'll only prove that Samus is some kind of galactic klutz constantly falling into these situations. A bit too coincidental. Other M thankfully avoided this but wasn't really that satisfactory in some aspects, and it can't really be repeated either.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,467. Posted:

I'll look it up some time. Don't really care much for reading blogs, but I pretty much agree. I know it's not going to happen, but I believe it's what should happen. They've already said they're going to carry the story forward and of course Samus is going to be the star.

I don't care for reboots personally, but I like the idea of letting another character star or co-star. What I'd prefer most of all though would be for a completely different story / universe with just a similar concept. Video games are way too obsessed with sequels, which is weird when story is not really the biggest drawing point in the first place, so why draw them out, I don't understand.

Edit: In regards to the second post, sounds like silliness. He approved the Prime games in the conceptual phase. It's not like he was surprised by what they had to offer. Not that I'd care if it were true. I don't like Prime much and don't care all that much about what's canon or not.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Arigner

1,468. Posted:

Oh and the MorphBall isn't some sort of magic... that suit was created by the Chozo, a race way over everyone in technology, like the ancients in StarGate. So if they can make a suit like a second layer of skin, then so be it. Also, if you remember, they weren't able to remove the Suit in Fusion because it's too much integrated in her.

Goldeneye Friend Code: 0079-8601-0876

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,469. Posted:

Clearly it's not integrated into her if it can disappear entirely. If removing the suit was a problem, she should have just snapped her fingers and make it go away.

The Chozo were mortals bound by the rules of science as much as anyone else. If they were able to create something like that, I find it hard to believe they'd have ever died out. This defies suspension of disbelief and for no real reason. Why not just make the suit pure technology? Doesn't make sense to me. Oh well.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Arigner

1,470. Posted:

Welcome in SciFi were many things overthrown the laws of physics....

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,471. Posted:

sakamoto interview that touches on super metroid, metroid 64, and what not: http://www.gamestm.co.uk/interviews/yoshio-sakamoto-discusses...

"A lot of people misunderstood that Team Ninja has only been making games about sexy women characters."

he reveals a few things about why he dislikes 3D games and prefers a more linear style, mainly that is that he has no sense of direction. he couldn't make a metroid on the n64 because he didn't think the controls were compatible for his vision of metroid, which led nintendo to seek out other companies to develop the next installment. this is why sakamoto's team stuck on the GBA while retro wound up working on the home consoles.

it also explains why he's so iffy about the prime games. he has nothing against them directly, it's just that he doesn't like the way most 3D games play in general.

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,472. Posted:

Arigner wrote:

Except that sci-fi at least pretends to offer a pseudo-scientific explanation rather than just making things appear by magic. Like how Star Wars pretends to explain lightsabers even as they defy physics.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,473. Posted:

considering how much of this series is based on totally arbitrary decisions it's not worth examining the plot this much. for instance, the only reason the morph ball exists is that animating samus on all fours would have been impossible. the ice beam is a similar story, it allowed them to create makeshift platforms using much less memory than new maps. bosses come back every time because they're fun to fight. you can try to rationalize it but in the end it's a nintendo game, and like other nintendo games fun comes before logic.

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

1,474. Posted:

romulux wrote:

animating samus on all fours would have been impossible.

Nevertheless, I shall attempt it.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage

JonWahlgren

1,475. Posted:

Thus begins the descent of Chicken Brutus.

Editor At Large
NLFM podcast | Twitter | Thunder Panda!

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter: jonwahlgren

AuthorMessage

Arigner

1,476. Posted:

weirdadam wrote:

Arigner wrote:

Except that sci-fi at least pretends to offer a pseudo-scientific explanation rather than just making things appear by magic. Like how Star Wars pretends to explain lightsabers even as they defy physics.

In fact, for being a fan of star-wars, including the role-playing game, Extended Universe and others games, they, unlike Star Trek, never try to explain why those magical bull tech works. They simply works. Like the Morphball. Or the Ice Beam. Tell me how you can make a energy ray that is at 0 Kelvin, that blows just many laws of physics, but then, its simply works.

Edited on by theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,477. Posted:

So I've really liked this game so far but what I assume to be the last major area of sector 1 where you go through that lab and walk to the same area slowly TWICE while going through room after room after room without nothing interesting happening (outside of some broken containers and books), your friends saying NOTHING outside of cutscenes was a dumb idea, even if the boss fight was pretty great.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

lockelocke

1,478. Posted:

romulux wrote:

considering how much of this series is based on totally arbitrary decisions it's not worth examining the plot this much... you can try to rationalize it but in the end it's a nintendo game, and like other nintendo games fun comes before logic.

thank you. i so agree.

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

AuthorMessage

grumblebuzzz

1,479. Posted:

Ok, I have completely annihilated the game with 100% on two separate files now. I must say that although I love it and would definitely rate it at the top of the Metroid pile, there are a few things that could have been tweaked in order to create "the perfect Metroid experience."

1.) I would have loved to have had a scanning feature on par with Prime's; a lore book to fill up from scanning your environment would have been great and added extra replay value.

2.) Exclusion of those slow, over the shoulder scanning/"chase" sequences. I found them kind of boring and deterrent from the action.

3.) More game. Other M is tragically short. I've had it for 3 weeks and I've already filled 2 points up to perfection? No. I would have added two more sectors -- expanded the extremely short desert area into its own sector and also added maybe a water themed sector so that that gravity suit could have gotten some more use.

4.) (SPOILERS) I would have had Kraid be the optional final boss instead of Phantoon. Yeah, it was really cool that he reappeared in the game after a long absence but what about Kraid? At one point he was as important as Ridley, serving as a main boss of the series but after Super Metroid (chronologically) we never saw him again. It's been over 15 years now, Nintendo? What's the deal? Is he dead or what?

Other than that, I must say that this game has been a fantastic play. What would you change about Other M if you had the chance to do so?

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,480. Posted:

i consider the lack of scanning one of the high points. it was great while it lasted, but i'm done with it. if i scan another insignificant monitor in the background for a totally banal bit of information my head will explode.

i think the re4 segments were a good idea that was badly executed. they put you in that viewpoint to build up tension but nothing ever really happens... if they ratcheted up the scares it probably would have been much clearer what they were trying to do there. it should have been the case that whenever the camera went to that position you thought to yourself "oh sh*t... what's about to happen?" instead of "oh sh*t... this again..."

the length is just fine for me considering that this is really another 2D installment more than a full 3D one, and none of the sidescrollers have gone beyond a few hours of playtime. so in a way other m is already the longest 2D metroid there's ever been.

my own complaint is that the environments fell a little short of what i was expecting. not that any of them are bad, but they're just not varied enough. if they make a sequel that uses the same engine they'll have more time to spend on art direction, also it probably won't be set on a ship again any time soon, so the odds of stronger environments would be pretty good.

that and the music... i want to say that it's good and bad at the same time. everything's a little too hypnotic and cold, which works extremely well sometimes and gets boring other times. it's nice to give other composers a try but it's clear by now that kenji yamamoto does it best.