Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 1,421 to 1,440 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,421. Posted:

Alright. It's going to be tough, but I'm going to try and rank my favorite Metroid games:
1. Super Metroid
2. Metroid: Zero Mission
3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
4. Metroid Prime
5. Metroid Other M
6. Metroid Fusion
7. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
8. Metroid
9. Metroid Prime: Hunters
10. Metroid II
I don't think there are any bad Metroid games. Just ones that I happen to like more than others.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

1,422. Posted:

Of the ones I've played (and leaving off Metroid II, which I have played, but not in ages):

1) Metroid Prime 3
2) Metroid Prime
3) Metroid: Other M
4) Metroid Prime 2
5) Super Metroid
6) Metroid

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage

pikku

1,423. Posted:

I'll list mine even though I don't have Other M, Metroid II, or Super Metroid (:$)

1. Metroid Prime 2:Echoes
2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
3. Metroid Fusion
4. Metroid Prime
5. Metroid Zero Mission
6. Metroid Prime: Hunters
7. Metroid Prime Pinball (great game, just not a Metroid game really.)
8. Metroid

Edited on by pikku

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

AuthorMessage

Cia

1,424. Posted:

My list of the ones i've played:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Metroid Fusion
3. Super Metroid
4. Metroid Prime 2
5. Metroid Zero Mission
6. Metroid Prime 3
7. Metroid

Edited on by Cia

Cia

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,425. Posted:

10. Corruption
09. Prime
08. Echoes
07. Metroid 2
06. Metroid
05. Fusion
04. Other M
03. Zero Mission
02. Super Metroid
01. Hunters
[00. Symphony of the Night]

Pinball is the only one I haven't played, but pinball games are vaguely entertaining in general, so it can't be worse than Corruption or better than Prime. If multiplayer were ruled out, the list would obviously be much different. Probably the bottom of the list would be Corruption, Echoes, Hunters, Prime.

Not a very fair series to rank though. Even if they all involve the same basic concept of exploring for power-ups, they don't exactly expand upon this concept in some linear path like we can sort of see in Mario games, for example. I love Metroid's nonlinearity, 2's horror feel and Metroid evolutions, Other M's story and its attention to Samus's butt, Prime's lore, Hunters's ... well, hunters, Corruption's hunters as well, Echoes's puzzles, Fusion's narration, Super's graphics and music, Zero's stealth areas, and Pinball's... rumble pack?

If Super Metroid had difficulty options, I'd probably be completely satisfied with the series as far as single-player goes. I know there are self-imposed challenges where you skip energy tanks and stuff, but getting that stuff is half the fun. I'm still waiting for a Metroid game that puts the best bits and pieces of the series all together in one package, but it doesn't look like they ever want to go in just one direction, not that that's necessarily a bad thing, though consistency can be cool sometimes, too. Until then, I'm stuck with this idea of the perfect Metroid game... and then I just play Symphony of the Night and realize Konami's already made it.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,426. Posted:

Adam wrote:

I'm still waiting for a Metroid game that puts the best bits and pieces of the series all together in one package, but it doesn't look like they ever want to go in just one direction, not that that's necessarily a bad thing, though consistency can be cool sometimes, too. Until then, I'm stuck with this idea of the perfect Metroid game... and then I just play Symphony of the Night and realize Konami's already made it.

For me, that was Zero Mission. Not only was it a perfect balance between action, puzzles and exploration, but it gave just the right amount of guidance to the players without imposing on the series' knack for a sense of isolation. The guidance also somehow managed to keep the game from being linear--there's plenty of alternate paths to take and multiple ways to beat the game. Not only that, but it had a pretty nice story as well.

Super Metroid's cinematic flair and artistic brilliance make it my favorite, but Zero Mission comes darn close--and as an over-all package I'd say it's probably the best example of a Metroid game.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,427. Posted:

you guys are making me wish i had a GBA. i borrowed someone's way back to play fusion but never tried zero mission. fingers crossed for the 3DS VC...

when it comes to an amalgamated metroid that's pretty much what i thought other M was. at times it feels like super metroid, fusion, metroid II, or prime... sometimes it feels like all those games at once. i completely understand why sakamoto kept calling it the ultimate metroid now. if they made a sequel in this style and varied the environments a little more and got kenji back on the score i could see it becoming my favorite.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,428. Posted:

nice interview. by the way, the second half of iwata asks is now up: http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/metroid-other-m/vol2_page1.jsp

AuthorMessage

Aviator

1,429. Posted:

ReddLionz wrote:

Hey...uh, does anybody know if there a way to dodge in first-person mode? I can't figure it out.

Your visor should flash yellow, then all you have to do if flick the remote away from the screen, and you'll dodge.

When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

Gamer83

1,430. Posted:

Sakamoto sounds like he's near impossible to work with. And some of the stuff I've read he wouldn't budge off of was really stupid. If they want to make a Metroid game in this style again, I don't care if it's Team Ninja, an in-house studio or whoever, Sakamoto has to let them at least use the nunchuk, in fact, even though he'll have to be involved in the game, I want Iwata or somebody to reign him in a little bit. He had way too much control over this game and he hurt it in certain ways. It turned out good overall, but it could've been even better without some of his choices. Next time around he needs to back off a bit.

Gamer83

AuthorMessage

Aviator

1,431. Posted:

Why does everybody want the Nunchuck? I don't understand how this game would be improved with it.

When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.

AuthorMessage

Not_a_Tapir

1,432. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

Why does everybody want the Nunchuck? I don't understand how this game would be improved with it.

Not even first person mode?

Not_a_Tapir

AuthorMessage

Aviator

1,433. Posted:

Not_a_Tapir wrote:

Aviator wrote:

No. What would add to it? This game is quite fast, the fighting parts are very quick, dodging, fast charges. Including a slow, clunky movement that first person would bring (see the Prime games) I don't think it would add much.

When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,434. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

Well you'd be able to play the game for more than an hour without getting Nintendo thumb. If not the Nunchuck at least let the classic controller be an option.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

Aviator

1,435. Posted:

Now I would play with the classic controller, hold down L or R to switch to first person, that would be cool.

Edited on by theblackdragon

When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.

AuthorMessage

Not_a_Tapir

1,436. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

Not_a_Tapir wrote:

Aviator wrote:

No. What would add to it? This game is quite fast, the fighting parts are very quick, dodging, fast charges. Including a slow, clunky movement that first person would bring (see the Prime games) I don't think it would add much.

Better than not being able to move at all.

Not_a_Tapir

AuthorMessage

Aviator

1,437. Posted:

Why is not moving such a bad thing? You can dodge in first person, and your much more equipped in first person aswell.

When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,438. Posted:

Gamer83 wrote:

Sakamoto sounds like he's near impossible to work with. And some of the stuff I've read he wouldn't budge off of was really stupid.

everything i've read actually sounds pretty reasonable after playing the game. you've got to be stubborn when working with so many people from different companies if you want the game to turn out well, don't you? if no one took a strong directing role on such an ambitious project the game would have been a mess. rather than saying sakamoto ruined it you should be thanking him for saving it.

i'm extremely grateful sakamoto made sure you could doge in 1st person. what team ninja was thinking arguing against that i don't know; it sounds more like they didn't know how to make it work and wanted to give up but sakamoto made them keep at it until they got it right. isn't that a good thing?
he also kept them from unnecessarily showing samus in her zero suit, and considering how much of it you see in the final game, it's hard to imagine just how much samus buttock would be imprinted on your eyes right now had sakamoto not reigned it in for the sake of her protecting her character.

the nunchuck has already been argued over enough, all i'll say is that if you're trying to move in 1st person you're not doing it right. jump in, fire your missiles, jump back out. maybe the impulse to walk is too hard to shake thanks to metroid prime, but in this game you're not supposed to be hanging around there long enough to think about movement.

and the analog stick would suck for 3rd person. can you imagine using the speed booster, trying to keep the stick perfectly still for hallway after hallway? the 2D segments would feel awkward and with all the great camera angles you wouldn't even gain much responsiveness for the 3D areas.

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,439. Posted:

Zero Mission was pretty darn good, Kid A. Like I said, it's hard for me to rank the series because they're all so different. I have gone through phases where I've remembered that one as the best, but I really didn't find the exploration particularly great. Certainly not as linear as Fusion and Other M, but didn't seem as open-ended as the first three. Of course, I've played Zero Mission twice and the rest much more, so could be I'm hastily concluding this. I would really like a Metroid in Zero Mission style except more like the original where there isn't even a suggested order to go about doing things, whether this is power-up collection or even bosses. Zero Mission probably had the most balanced action, not too easy but not too hard, and always fast. Not to mention a very fun hard mode.

As for Other M, it is not the best of everything the series has ever done. It's a great game, and it does everything it tries to do exceedingly well, but it is linear. Very linear. And I don't say that as a bad thing, it just means it isn't the ultimate Metroid because that is something the franchise is known for. This was basically Fusion in 3D, exploring individual rooms for power-ups but not so much an entire world as there is generally a very clear sequence. I could see the same engine being used to make a Super Metroid / Zero Mission 3D kind of game, and for me that would have the potential to be the ultimate Metroid. But while I like the linear games, the non-linear ones will always be a notch above for me because that's how Metroid was intended.

And to poke my face in another conversation: D-Pad rules, analog stick drools. The analog stick would add absolutely nothing. It would be really frustrating to speed boost with the stick for one thing. If I hold it in one direction for awhile, it will slip, and the speed boost would be broken. Even if you had analog in other situations, it'd add nothing. Some suggest being able to point at the screen to shoot always, but you'd still be on auto-aim because the enemies are in foreground or background and IR doesn't know the difference (see S&P2 for more information). You'd be able to move in first-person, but why? Go play Prime if that's what you want. This is clearly a game designed for third-person.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

1,440. Posted:

The+Fox wrote:

I just beat the game (I admit I didn't try hard to find the hidden stuff) and the ending is pretty cringe-worthy. Not going to go into any details, naturally.

Of course, the writing and dialogue were the biggest problem for me throughout the game anyway.

Why not go into any details? This thread has spoilers. It says so right in the title.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.