Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 1,381 to 1,400 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,381. Posted:

If you think it's clumsy, then you're having problems with it... if you weren't having problems with it, you'd think it's fine.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

SteamMistwalker

1,382. Posted:

so i picked up a new wii lol, and metroid so far is amazing i love how fluid the switching from third to first person is, the dodging is awesome (although i am not that good at it yet) and loving the story, overall was worth getting a new wii for :D

3DS code :
2191 7660 6571
Nintendo ID: Steamerz
Let me know if u add me and ill add u!

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

1,383. Posted:

Adam wrote:

If you think it's clumsy, then you're having problems with it... if you weren't having problems with it, you'd think it's fine.

Sure!

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

DF2506

1,384. Posted:

I got my copy of Other M in the mail today (delayed because of the holiday. gah). Anyway, not very far into it yet, but I love the gameplay. All of the classic Metroid moves, plus some new awesome finishing moves. I also really like the 2D/3D shifts. Very fun.

I do think the graphics could be better though. Prime def. had better graphics than this. Not saying they are terrible, just really murky/dark in some areas. Some areas are very nice looking though (just not quite Prime quility so far).

I also think that maybe it wasn't a wise idea to have Samus speaking. The voice acting is not so good, but mainly because her lines are bit...er...wordy. I wish she would talk to the soliders instead of narrating too. The story is kind of interesting though. I like the mystery aboard the ship and it is neat to see Samus's past. Just not happy with her voice acting or her lines.

Still, even with my nitpicks, Other M is a very cool game. Its really the gameplay that makes it. Its a bit more straight forward than usual Metroid, but I like that because honestly I always got lost in the old non-linear Metroid games. lol. And the gameplay is 100% Metroid cool. IF you are fan of the series, than you should def. play it!

DF2506

Edited on by DF2506

DF2506

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,385. Posted:

Oh, I couldn't disagree more, personally. I very much prefer her internal monologue to direct conversation. This way she still maintains the silence (not silent to us obviously, but silent in character) for most of the game, which is appropriate for her character and makes it less jarring that she suddenly has a voice and personality. In fact, this is the fourth game she has spoken in such a way, only special because she is voice acted now. Super Metroid had a brief first-person narration. Fusion had a lot of internal monologues. And Zero Mission had a few internal monologues, didn't it? I forget. I also found her voice acting to be weakest when she was speaking directly to someone, not that it was ever bad.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,386. Posted:

i noticed while playing that the problem of samus "facing the wrong way" when entering first person is non existent. i noticed that a few times when i switched a little too frantically without facing the right direction that the game would automatically center her view on the nearest enemy for me.

either they implemented that 'lock' for the final version of the game in response to complaints, or those players who had problems with it before really sucked. either way, i didn't once find it hard to face the right direction when entering first person.

after being it on hard my only complaints are that breaking a lock is too hard to do, so if you accidentally lock onto the wrong enemy or want to change targets there's no practical way to do it. i also don't like how you freeze in place while holding the remote vertically even when you're not performing concentration; sometimes you'll go in for a recharge and have to break it early to dodge an attack, and your fingers will want to press the buttons before you lower the remote all the way. i had samus lock in that position even after lowering the remote a few times, and she wouldn't get out of it for 3 or 4 seconds.

those are little complaints, though. really that's the worst i have say about the controls, overall i think they felt great. having finished everything 100% my only disappointment is that they didn't add in the charge jump attack, where you charge up and perform a makeshift screw attack. with all the other super metroid stuff i thought that'd be a given...

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,387. Posted:

I've definitely had that problem many times early on in the game, and after beating the game and dying maybe three times excluding the elevator part, I can say without difficulty that I don't suck. But by the time I was out of sector one I'd gotten used to it, for the most part.

Regarding the charge-screw-attack-thing, I'm very glad that's not in there. Screw attack makes the game pretty boring since every common enemy except for two or three of them dies in one hit from it. Also, am I imagining things, or wasn't that attack what they used to call shinespark? I was really confused when I authorized myself to use shinespark and that's what it was. I had figured that was just considered an extension of speed booster, not some distinct ability.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

1,388. Posted:

I'm having trouble getting an energy part, so I'll post asking for help, just to see if I'm even going about it the right way. I might be missing something...

Anyway, it's in one of those big holographic room, where it turns into a rainy day in the jungle if you activate the hologram. The energy part is on a ledge outside of an observation window, high up. I can space jump to another ledge, with one of those switches you need to shoot to activate. That switch temporarily extends three platforms out from the wall, effectively creating an uneven bridge to get to the energy part.

But I can only reach the first platform. I space jump to it, but then I can't seem to get high enough to reach the second platform. I've even tried kicking off of the wall, but that propels me too far out to make it back. Am I missing something?

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage

blurays

1,389. Posted:

@Chicken Brutus - If you run at the platform from across the room until your speed booster activates you
can do the boosted jump to get up to that platform.

blurays

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

1,390. Posted:

nlifegamer wrote:

@Chicken Brutus - If you run at the platform from across the room until your speed booster activates you
can do the boosted jump to get up to that platform.

ksdjflkahdsgjhaf

I suck. I'll try that later. Thanks!

So are those platforms just a red herring? Or can you do something with them?

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,391. Posted:

You are supposed to be able to jump up them, according to IGN's guide. I couldn't do it either, though admittedly I didn't try long before taking the lazy approach and just speed boosting across. Shinespark and space jump make a lot of previously confusing puzzles super easy.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Slapshot

1,392. Posted:

The controls do become easier the more i play. Some of the boss designs implement the controls really well. Heck it almost feels like a on rails shooter at times, well minus the rails part lol :)

I do agree with romulux with the lock on break. Sometimes i would stay in first person but have to back out because i can't shoot the projectiles coming at me because of the lock on the enemy. I've never went unto first person and been looking the wrong way that i know of.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

AuthorMessage

The_Fox

1,393. Posted:

I just beat the game (I admit I didn't try hard to find the hidden stuff) and the ending is pretty cringe-worthy. Not going to go into any details, naturally.

Of course, the writing and dialogue were the biggest problem for me throughout the game anyway.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage

ReddLionz

1,394. Posted:

Wow....this game is truly amazing. The combat is so fun, the story is intense, and it just feels like a complete Metroid game.
Although the last thing I'm going to do is compare this game to the Prime games, because that would just start an explosion in my head trying to decide.
but I think it takes a little too long for the Speed Booster to kick in

"Just do It" -Nike
GAMECENTER ID: ReddLionz --- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 2535-5186-6845--Mario Kart Wii: 2277-7632-9262---Excitebots: 2665-2900-1186---Excitebike World Rally: 5242-1980-4163---Wii Number: 8286-0065-1295-5374

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,395. Posted:

The Fox wrote:

I just beat the game (I admit I didn't try hard to find the hidden stuff) and the ending is pretty cringe-worthy. Not going to go into any details, naturally.

Of course, the writing and dialogue were the biggest problem for me throughout the game anyway.

I wasn't a big fan of the first ending either, but the hidden ending more than makes up for it :)

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

ReddLionz

1,396. Posted:

Hey...uh, does anybody know if there a way to dodge in first-person mode? I can't figure it out.

Edited on by ReddLionz

"Just do It" -Nike
GAMECENTER ID: ReddLionz --- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 2535-5186-6845--Mario Kart Wii: 2277-7632-9262---Excitebots: 2665-2900-1186---Excitebike World Rally: 5242-1980-4163---Wii Number: 8286-0065-1295-5374

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,397. Posted:

slapshot82 wrote:

I do agree with romulux with the lock on break.

i was messing with it last night and i realized that if you let go of the trigger and pull it again you can switch targets pretty easily, you just have to aim really well at the thing you want to lock to. that sums up my whole experience with the controls, it's easy to complain about them but when you use them long enough you'll find a way to make everything work.

by the way, has anybody else done two overblasts in a row? i blew away one hopper and landed directly on another, and it let me blast him without being fully charged up. awesome.

AuthorMessage

ReddLionz

1,398. Posted:

@romulux
hahaha yeah I did a triple overblast once. No limit to the combat is there?

"Just do It" -Nike

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,399. Posted:

reddlionz, just shake the remote

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,400. Posted:

I had no idea you could dodge. Mind-blowing.

Come on, friends,