Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 1,742

Adam

Chrono, the Adam comment was a joke, since it's my name, too.

I got what you were trying to say about "real-time" firing, but was just clarifying that it is real time, you just meant "immediate." But like I said, I don't think having the whole game on auto-aim would be better, either, personally.

Regarding the power-up collection excuse for each game, I have no idea what you were just getting at, so I'll just repeat: Other M's excuse is at times weak, but Super Metroid gives no excuse, and puts you on the same planet as Metroid with the same power-ups. What, did Samus forget her high jump boots on her way out last time?

And about difficulty, Other M and Super Metroid are both ridiculously easy, but that doesn't stop them from being fun. Plus, Other M has hard mode, while Super Metroid does not, so there's no way Super is the harder of the two.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Deviant_Mugen

@Chrono: Regarding the way Samus loses her power-ups in the Prime series: Adam never said they re-used the same event, but rather the same circumstances (i.e. somehow Samus's suit malfunctions [explosion, Ing ambush, Dark Samus] and she loses all her gear). In this one it makes sense (for the most part) how her weapons systems are managed, and the funny thing about you mentioning having to obey Adam like he was your dad is that Samus does consider him a father figure. The point is, Samus has served under Adam in the past and respects him enough to do it again on this mission, and since she was working with a squad, I'm sure Adam wanted to make it so that they were more or less progressing at the same pace, hence the restrictions on items (except the power bombs, of course). At least that's how I see it...

Regarding restricting missiles to first-person and having to point the remote at the screen, I thought it worked very well and in no way slowed the combat or allowed for enemies to get their shots in while you switched views. First off, you need to realize that this game is not Super Metroid or the Prime trilogy, so things aren't going to work in the same way as they did in those games. As for finding locking on to fire a missile too tedious, you seem to forget that in the Prime trilogy if you weren't locked on to a boss when you fired a missile, then good luck actually hitting it in its weak spot, not to mention missiles had to be charged before being fired, which took a lot longer than just locking onto an enemy and letting them have a missile to the face (super missiles are the exception, of course, but with all the Accel Charges it's really a non-issue).

Apparently you failed to notice that only a few parts of the bottle ship were actually holographic, and they were the ones that vanished whenever you turned off a projector, which would reveal a wall with a door at the most, not leave you in an empty metal room. It's specifically stated that the environments are real, but enhanced further with holographic technology to make them more authentic; they're not completely holographic.

As for saying that nothing tops the item placement in Super Metroid, I definitely disagree with that, because Other M had some of the most clever and challenging hiding spots for its pick-ups, some of which took about an hour of careful inspection to solve. Another thing, the combat not being good? I could not disagree more with this statement, as I thought it added something incredible to this game, and the Prime trilogy could be drastically improved with the implementation of the sense move, because dodging boss's attacks in that game was pretty much hit or miss since Samus felt very slow. Hell, even Super Metroid could benefit from the sense move, because dodging Phantoon's plasma "tears" was a lot less tedious this time around than when you fight him in Super Metroid.

Sure, it can be argued that it strips away some of the challenge, but that's what Hard mode is unlockable for, so you can go through the game with zero pick-ups and having to deal with enemies that dole out more damage, thus keeping you well on your toes during every encounter, no matter how minor the enemy. And the controls were absolutely perfect and I fail to see how the inclusion of the nunchuck could've improved them, especially since the d-pad is just as good at controlling characters in a 3D space (see Super Mario 64 DS) as the control stick.

Anyway, I'm done, if you didn't like it, that's fine. I loved it and that's all I really need to know...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Adam

Metroid_Fan wrote:

@Chrono: Regarding the way Samus loses her power-ups in the Prime series: Adam never said they re-used the same event, but rather the same circumstances (i.e. somehow Samus's suit malfunctions [explosion, Ing ambush, Dark Samus] and she loses all her gear).

Exactly. I didn't mean it was an explosion every time. But they're all similar. And they're all weak. I mean, seriously, things blow up all the time in Metroid. And yet this never causes her to lose all her power-ups mid-game when a power bomb goes off right on top of her. Other M's excuse may not have made perfect sense, but it was novel and better thought out than any Prime game.

Though I don't agree with singling out Other M's excuse, I will agree that the excuses in general are a bad idea. They are transparent artifices with glaring holes. I'd like to see a future game where Samus begins with all her main power-ups, perhaps turning space jump into double jump and making screw attack less ridiculously awesome, and simply gain new ones so there is no need for excuses. Or let us play as another hunter who doesn't need an excuse in the first place.

Come on, friends,

Deviant_Mugen

@Adam: I don't know about playing as another hunter, but I'd like the idea of Samus arriving at some technologically advanced planet where none of her current weaponry has any effect past a few starting areas so she has to scour said planet for upgrades in order to traverse any further. Not the most original idea, but it's better than yet another "something's happened and you've lost all your powers, time to get them back" scenario...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Adam

I keep thinking how cool the other characters in Hunters were, but then again, they were all sort of bad guys, not the noble bounty hunter Samus is, so they couldn't really work together. I would not mind playing as Anthony though, perhaps for only a portion of the game... I don't know. Probably a more complicated solution than necessary.

Really, what Samus needs is closure, not another excuse. I love the games, but every story needs a finale. She can't go on collecting power-ups forever. It'd be nice to either pick up where she left off as someone else in the same universe, or just apply the same concepts to a new IP.

...but I'm sure they'll think of something.

Come on, friends,

Deviant_Mugen

Well, closure can't come right after Fusion, especially since Samus clearly went against the Federation's orders, which I'm sure they won't take lightly. Frankly, I just don't see Samus being retired, that's just not Nintendo's thing. I mean Mario and Link have been saving the princess and fighting pretty much the same big bad for longer than Samus has and their respective franchises still feel fresh. Granted, Metroid does have a more coherent story and steady time-line than both of those series and Samus's character has grown quite a bit since the original game, but still. Maybe at some point Samus will have a child and they'll take up the mantle of the galaxy's most feared/well-known bounty hunter in her place? We'll have to see...

Twilight_Crow

OK, I finally got to play the game at my best friend's house. The bad news are that I liked it , and that I'm dying to get to see the hole story D:, and that's really bad cause I'm gonna need to pay $45 to $50 to replace my Wii lens, but I have no money so is gonna take a while.
The good news are that I can live without the very uninspired music and dialogs from this game ; also when you get stuck and you have to look around over and over on first person, I get dizzy, so when I finally can play through it, I'll use a guide when this happens.

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor, Shall be lifted nevermore!"

"I'll just have to STOP. TIME!" - Twilight Sparkle

Nintendo Network ID: Twilight_Crow

Deviant_Mugen

@Crow: You sure the lens needs to be replaced and it's not something the $10 cleaning kit can solve? If so, that's a bummer. Hope you get to play Other M soon...

Twilight_Crow

@MF Thanks but, actually, my friend had already lend me his cleaning kit, so I could play Brawl, didn't work , and we even tried twice. It needs replacement.
Anyway, I'll play it someday, I hope it's soon too.

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor, Shall be lifted nevermore!"

Deviant_Mugen

@Crow: Bummer, thankfully my Wii is still going strong despite being from 2006, and the problem it had reading dual-layered discs was related to a dirty lens and not a faulty one. I hope you can get it fixed soon. You should find more excuses to visit your friend and mooch off of his copy of Other M...

skyerunner23

I dont know if this is a help thread in anyway but im trying to finish this game 100% and i am at the point where i can go back to the Bottle Ship and pick up the items i missed, im in sector 3 and theres a hidden item in a room where theres ramps(its next to a dead end Navigation Room.) and a super missle door i blew up the super missle door and got a missle tank but theres still another item in the room and i cant find anyway to get it. Ive used power bombs and i cant lock on to anything can anyone help me out?

psn: Skyerunner

Deviant_Mugen

@sumba: I think I know which room you're referring to, but unless I can see a picture then I can't help you out. There are guides that lead you to the locations of each pick-up already, though, so you might try one of those...

skyerunner23

@Metroid_Fan: Thanks and i got it there was an elusive tube i didnt go down and i feel foolish now

psn: Skyerunner

Deviant_Mugen

@sumba: That's fine, I know I felt foolish myself when I found a few expansions that were right there for the taking the whole time (such as one under a fallen stalactite and another in a morph ball tunnel near that ceiling that I waited until getting the Space Jump to grab, when it turns out the tunnel had a reachable entrance right in the other room)...

Machu

@Twilight Crow: I feel your pain. My Wii didn't like it (even tho its been sent to Nintendo once already to fix this very problem, supposedly, and I've tried the cleaning kit also) so I took it to my bro's to play. DENIED! So I took it to a friends for a brief taster before we had to go out, and having played OM for half an hour, I didn't want to and was grumpy all night.

Anyway, I've just moved house and have a hundred things I need to buy, a new Wii-Drive isn't high on the list, oh well, it'll have to wait. Dammit!!!

Rawr!

Deviant_Mugen

@Machu: I'm sorry, man, but I hope you can play it soon (perhaps you need to abscond with your friend's Wii for a week)...

Twilight_Crow

@Machu Oh man, didn't know your Wii had the same problem , so sorry.
Hopefully we both will get a new drive and play someday.

Bobpie

Why does the cheapest copy I've seen have to be $108 NZD???????????

The Pie O' Bob be watching you...

Deviant_Mugen

@Bobpie: Don't know how much that is in dollars, but it sounds expensive...

Tri4ceHolder

unless you were a comic con i played it before you guys

I'm awesome and i love video games. And loves Zelda ALL LOT!!!
My favorite People are: Tim Burton, Conan O' Brien, Shigeru Miyamoto, an Walt Disney!!
My Favorite Video Games are: Zelda, Wario ware, Pokemon, Mario, Kirby, Sonic, Professor Layton.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic