Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 1,221 to 1,240 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,221. Posted:

I read the full interview, and it was a great read. Of course, the most interesting tidbit being the one about the next game taking place after Fusion...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,222. Posted:

Metroid_Fan wrote:

I read the full interview, and it was a great read. Of course, the most interesting tidbit being the one about the next game taking place after Fusion...

Where can we find the full interview?
And yeah, I'm really excited about finally seeing what happens after Fusion :D

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,223. Posted:

@Kid_A: It's linked at the bottom of the goNintendo article (it's in Spanish, though, but I might be persuaded to translate it if enough people wanted to read it or if NL wanted to post it themselves)...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,224. Posted:

Metroid_Fan wrote:

@Kid_A: It's linked at the bottom of the goNintendo article (it's in Spanish, though, but I might be persuaded to translate it if enough people wanted to read it or if NL wanted to post it themselves)...

I can probably pick up most of it myself, but I think you should do it. I'm sure everybody here would love to read it

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

1,225. Posted:

Metroid_Fan wrote:

@Chrono: What is it about the game that disappointed you? I'm curious to know, especially after all the praise it's received in this thread since its release...

The fact that you have to use the Wii remote sideways is a little disappointing.
The fact that Samus is like a little p***y in this game is another let down. I mean come on I always thought of Samus as being the one female character to just be reckless and know whats up. Nope. Having this Adam d-bag, boss you around like hes your dad is something that threw me off at the beginning, along with the very poor implemented first person view which makes me just want to sell my copy of the game (Metroid Prime Trilogy anyone?). Not being aloud to use missiles in real time is quite irritating (for an example fighting any enemy and having to use missiles to make it an easy kill can only be used by going into first person mode, locking on, then shooting, but don't forget about repositioning your hand on the friggen' controller rather than just pressing a button to fire a missle. Come on the other weapons just lock on to the enemies why not the missiles?)

Though the combat is very poor I find it to be fun. That's it. Prime 1-3, Super Metroid, and Zero Mission? "Wow did you see that?! No ****ing way!" Metroid Other M? "Wow again? This is so stupid just give me my weapons now you ignorant..."

Another beef is having every item you acquired from Super Metroid but not being able to use them throughout the game until Adam says so. You don't lose them in an explosion, or an atomic blast. You don't even start off with nothing. Nope a human tells you to not use them and you follow his directions. Go Samus the universe's hero. :(

The bosses are too easy which throws me off again. The enemies seem to be harder than the bosses. I found myself struggling with the enemies more than Ridley or the other bosses. The voice acting is okay not really anything to be proud of but I did find Corruption to have better voice acting as a whole. The graphics are very impressive. Some areas have less textures than others but overall I love the graphic system. Finding a specific thing in an area with the first person mode to progress through the game was a dumb part on Nintendo's. I found myself more entertained watching paint dry than doing any of these scenarios. (I'm not joking.)

Your probably wondering if I even like anything about this game huh? Well I'm a "hardcore" Metroid fan to say the least but as much as I've expected from this game I came away disappointed. Every other Metroid (on consoles that is), blew me away from start to finish. This, from start to Ridely bored to me to a pulp. I now walk away thinking "Should I buy the next Metroid game? Should I waste my money on another disappointment?" The answer is yes because I'm a gamer and I give every game a chance. Especially Metroid.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,226. Posted:

Chrono+Cross wrote:

this Adam d-bag

I do not appreciate this.

Chrono+Cross wrote:

Not being aloud you use missiles in real time is quite irritating

Not to be picky, but you do fire in real-time. That's actually what makes it challenging. If time stopped while you switched, it'd be pretty easy and not very exciting. Versus normal baddies, you won't need missiles, and it makes the boss fights more intense. Plus, would you really prefer if the entire game were on auto-aim?

Chrono+Cross wrote:

Another beef is having every item you acquired from Super Metroid but not being able to use them throughout the game until Adam says so. You don't lose them in an explosion, or an atomic blast. You don't even start off with nothing. Nope a human tells you to not use them and you follow his directions.

You think Super Metroid handled this better? Not only are you searching for the same pick-ups, but you're finding them on the same planet! It makes no sense! At least Other M tried here, and for the most part it makes sense, just not the suits. Fusion had the most satisfying explanation. Prime's explosion was fine once, I guess, but didn't they reuse the same excuse in the next one? I don't even remember what Prime 3 did, but if you lose your weapons three games in a row, you are not a galactic hero. You're a galactic klutz.

Chrono+Cross wrote:

The bosses are too easy which throws me off again.

Again, Super Metroid... I'm not sure I could tell you the last time I even got hit by most of those bosses. Metroid is known for its cool bosses, not challenging ones, unfortunately. Sense Move certainly doesn't help change matters here, allowing you to dodge almost everything by constantly tapping the D-pad whenever you aren't shooting.

Anyway, that just stuck out to me. Not trying to change your opinion or anything. I agree very much about the forced first-person segments. Some really stumped me, too, which was annoying. I think the game has a lot of room for improvement, myself, but I think it is a step forward and removes the necessity of having separate 2D and 3D series, as it brings together the best of both worlds. If the next one can come up with a better, less divisive story and fix some little things, I think we could someday see a 3D game on par with Super Metroid.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

1,227. Posted:

@Chrono
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. And I think mine is that i disagree with just about everything you said.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,228. Posted:

Yeah...I found the bosses to be just as hard...died several times. The forced first-person mode....thing was somewhat annoying too but whatever. Still thought it was a great game. (kinda scared to do hard mode now though, lol)

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

1,229. Posted:

Adam wrote:

Chrono+Cross wrote:

this Adam d-bag

I do not appreciate this.

Not my fault. Opinions are opinions.

Adam wrote:

Not to be picky, but you do fire in real-time. That's actually what makes it challenging. If time stopped while you switched, it'd be pretty easy and not very exciting. Versus normal baddies, you won't need missiles, and it makes the boss fights more intense. Plus, would you really prefer if the entire game were on auto-aim?

You don't see what I'm trying to say. In Metroid Prime/Super Metroid you'd press a button to shoot a missile. Not turn the controller so it's pointing at the screen, lock on then shoot. It does not intensify anything. It just slows down movement for you to get hit by long range attacks and to slow down the supposedly fast paced action. As I've said before the boss battles are very easy. Would I prefer if the entire game was on auto aim? Yes because the combat is terrible.

Adam wrote:

You think Super Metroid handled this better? Not only are you searching for the same pick-ups, but you're finding them on the same planet! It makes no sense! At least Other M tried here, and for the most part it makes sense, just not the suits. Fusion had the most satisfying explanation. Prime's explosion was fine once, I guess, but didn't they reuse the same excuse in the next one? I don't even remember what Prime 3 did, but if you lose your weapons three games in a row, you are not a galactic hero. You're a galactic klutz.

Do I think Super Metroid did this better? Yes because Zebes isn't a galactic ship or whatever, that has holographic environments. It's technically real and unlike Other M is a phenomenal achievement. (I'm talking about Super Metroid as a game.) Nope. In Echoes Samus gets her gear stolen from her by the Ing. In Corruption Dark Samus blasts her and the other hunters with one of her arm cannon blasts. So no, they don't reuse the same event.

Adam wrote:

Again, Super Metroid... I'm not sure I could tell you the last time I even got hit by most of those bosses. Metroid is known for its cool bosses, not challenging ones, unfortunately. Sense Move certainly doesn't help change matters here, allowing you to dodge almost everything by constantly tapping the D-pad whenever you aren't shooting.

Other M is much easier than Super. (For me atleast.) Plus no boss fight in Other M tops Kraid's, Ridley's, or Mother Brain's fight in Super Metroid. Especially nothing tops the hyper beam, the advance missile expansion, power bomb, etc. placement, and of course, the 3:00 minute countdown.

Just for you.

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,230. Posted:

the shpydar wrote:

@Chrono
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. And I think mine is that i disagree with just about everything you said.

Also, Chrono, if you thought that the bosses were "too easy", then you might want to try Hard mode (that is assuming you got 100%) and see what you have to say then. Pretty much the only point you made that I more or less agree on is the one about the forced first-person find-its, and even then only the first two were annoying...

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

1,231. Posted:

@Metroid Fan
I'm not enforcing anyone to agree nor disagree, I'm just pointing the flaws I've endured is all. I've played much better Metroids in my day.

Just for you.

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

1,232. Posted:

...I don't think Samus loses anything of hers to begin with in Corruption. >_>

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,233. Posted:

Chrono, the Adam comment was a joke, since it's my name, too.

I got what you were trying to say about "real-time" firing, but was just clarifying that it is real time, you just meant "immediate." But like I said, I don't think having the whole game on auto-aim would be better, either, personally.

Regarding the power-up collection excuse for each game, I have no idea what you were just getting at, so I'll just repeat: Other M's excuse is at times weak, but Super Metroid gives no excuse, and puts you on the same planet as Metroid with the same power-ups. What, did Samus forget her high jump boots on her way out last time?

And about difficulty, Other M and Super Metroid are both ridiculously easy, but that doesn't stop them from being fun. Plus, Other M has hard mode, while Super Metroid does not, so there's no way Super is the harder of the two.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,234. Posted:

@Chrono: Regarding the way Samus loses her power-ups in the Prime series: Adam never said they re-used the same event, but rather the same circumstances (i.e. somehow Samus's suit malfunctions [explosion, Ing ambush, Dark Samus] and she loses all her gear). In this one it makes sense (for the most part) how her weapons systems are managed, and the funny thing about you mentioning having to obey Adam like he was your dad is that Samus does consider him a father figure. The point is, Samus has served under Adam in the past and respects him enough to do it again on this mission, and since she was working with a squad, I'm sure Adam wanted to make it so that they were more or less progressing at the same pace, hence the restrictions on items (except the power bombs, of course). At least that's how I see it...

Regarding restricting missiles to first-person and having to point the remote at the screen, I thought it worked very well and in no way slowed the combat or allowed for enemies to get their shots in while you switched views. First off, you need to realize that this game is not Super Metroid or the Prime trilogy, so things aren't going to work in the same way as they did in those games. As for finding locking on to fire a missile too tedious, you seem to forget that in the Prime trilogy if you weren't locked on to a boss when you fired a missile, then good luck actually hitting it in its weak spot, not to mention missiles had to be charged before being fired, which took a lot longer than just locking onto an enemy and letting them have a missile to the face (super missiles are the exception, of course, but with all the Accel Charges it's really a non-issue).

Apparently you failed to notice that only a few parts of the bottle ship were actually holographic, and they were the ones that vanished whenever you turned off a projector, which would reveal a wall with a door at the most, not leave you in an empty metal room. It's specifically stated that the environments are real, but enhanced further with holographic technology to make them more authentic; they're not completely holographic.

As for saying that nothing tops the item placement in Super Metroid, I definitely disagree with that, because Other M had some of the most clever and challenging hiding spots for its pick-ups, some of which took about an hour of careful inspection to solve. Another thing, the combat not being good? I could not disagree more with this statement, as I thought it added something incredible to this game, and the Prime trilogy could be drastically improved with the implementation of the sense move, because dodging boss's attacks in that game was pretty much hit or miss since Samus felt very slow. Hell, even Super Metroid could benefit from the sense move, because dodging Phantoon's plasma "tears" was a lot less tedious this time around than when you fight him in Super Metroid.

Sure, it can be argued that it strips away some of the challenge, but that's what Hard mode is unlockable for, so you can go through the game with zero pick-ups and having to deal with enemies that dole out more damage, thus keeping you well on your toes during every encounter, no matter how minor the enemy. And the controls were absolutely perfect and I fail to see how the inclusion of the nunchuck could've improved them, especially since the d-pad is just as good at controlling characters in a 3D space (see Super Mario 64 DS) as the control stick.

Anyway, I'm done, if you didn't like it, that's fine. I loved it and that's all I really need to know...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,235. Posted:

Metroid_Fan wrote:

@Chrono: Regarding the way Samus loses her power-ups in the Prime series: Adam never said they re-used the same event, but rather the same circumstances (i.e. somehow Samus's suit malfunctions [explosion, Ing ambush, Dark Samus] and she loses all her gear).

Exactly. I didn't mean it was an explosion every time. But they're all similar. And they're all weak. I mean, seriously, things blow up all the time in Metroid. And yet this never causes her to lose all her power-ups mid-game when a power bomb goes off right on top of her. Other M's excuse may not have made perfect sense, but it was novel and better thought out than any Prime game.

Though I don't agree with singling out Other M's excuse, I will agree that the excuses in general are a bad idea. They are transparent artifices with glaring holes. I'd like to see a future game where Samus begins with all her main power-ups, perhaps turning space jump into double jump and making screw attack less ridiculously awesome, and simply gain new ones so there is no need for excuses. Or let us play as another hunter who doesn't need an excuse in the first place.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,236. Posted:

@Adam: I don't know about playing as another hunter, but I'd like the idea of Samus arriving at some technologically advanced planet where none of her current weaponry has any effect past a few starting areas so she has to scour said planet for upgrades in order to traverse any further. Not the most original idea, but it's better than yet another "something's happened and you've lost all your powers, time to get them back" scenario...

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,237. Posted:

I keep thinking how cool the other characters in Hunters were, but then again, they were all sort of bad guys, not the noble bounty hunter Samus is, so they couldn't really work together. I would not mind playing as Anthony though, perhaps for only a portion of the game... I don't know. Probably a more complicated solution than necessary.

Really, what Samus needs is closure, not another excuse. I love the games, but every story needs a finale. She can't go on collecting power-ups forever. It'd be nice to either pick up where she left off as someone else in the same universe, or just apply the same concepts to a new IP.

...but I'm sure they'll think of something.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,238. Posted:

Well, closure can't come right after Fusion, especially since Samus clearly went against the Federation's orders, which I'm sure they won't take lightly. Frankly, I just don't see Samus being retired, that's just not Nintendo's thing. I mean Mario and Link have been saving the princess and fighting pretty much the same big bad for longer than Samus has and their respective franchises still feel fresh. Granted, Metroid does have a more coherent story and steady time-line than both of those series and Samus's character has grown quite a bit since the original game, but still. Maybe at some point Samus will have a child and they'll take up the mantle of the galaxy's most feared/well-known bounty hunter in her place? We'll have to see...

AuthorMessage

Twilight_Crow

1,239. Posted:

OK, I finally got to play the game at my best friend's house. The bad news are that I liked it :(, and that I'm dying to get to see the hole story D:, and that's really bad cause I'm gonna need to pay $45 to $50 to replace my Wii lens, but I have no money so is gonna take a while.
The good news are that I can live without the very uninspired music and dialogs from this game :P; also when you get stuck and you have to look around over and over on first person, I get dizzy, so when I finally can play through it, I'll use a guide when this happens.

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor, Shall be lifted nevermore!"

"I'll just have to STOP. TIME!" - Twilight Sparkle
Our little MLP fanfic on EQD:The Perfect Night Sky
More pony stuff on my FimFiction.net userpage.
My Luna toy's ask tumblr!
My incomplete Backloggery!

Nintendo Network ID: Twilight_Crow

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,240. Posted:

@Crow: You sure the lens needs to be replaced and it's not something the $10 cleaning kit can solve? If so, that's a bummer. Hope you get to play Other M soon... :)